Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

"You don't act your race/age/etc etc."

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:21 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2006, 10:21 PM #51 of 87
In my earlier post, I only commented about my age situations. I'll talk about my race now.

I'm Filipino. There's a pretty decently huge Filipino community in my area, but I do feel disconnected with them. I don't really hang out with them as much, and even at school, I'm found more with the other races. My apartment alones features me (Filipino) as well as a Chinese, a Korean, and a nigga. I'm also the only Filipino computer engineer undergraduate at my school (though there are 2 other electrical engineers).

And while I've been an active member of my university's Filipino Cultural Association (I'm currently vice president), I still don't hang out with them a lot. The senior Filipino class is actually not very-well bonded, though I find that kinda cool because we're all doing our own thing.

Meh. I still want the flag here.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Trigunnerz
!!!

Member 814

Level 22.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 03:37 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 12:37 AM #52 of 87
You mean like stereotypes? Since I'm a minority, I get that a lot. Are you Chinese? Is your major in engineering? Pre-med? Do you play a stringed instrument like the violin? Do you know karate? You look like so and so. You all look the same. Blah blah blah.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Trigunnerz; Mar 22, 2006 at 03:46 AM. Reason: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Tama8-chan
Good Chocobo

Member 952

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:44 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 10:44 PM #53 of 87
I'm asian, and I don't speak like a fob, or act like some viet gansta who thinks he's hot with all the chicks.
I act cocky a lot of the time though.

I have an aussie accent, and I dress 'normally'.
In school, I did all the 'asian' subjects that chaofan mentioned. But now I do arts and media at Uni. Go figure.
I played cricket for a while, too.

The only other 'stereotypically' asian I do, is that I do martial arts.

A lot of the girls that I give lifts to seem a tad disappointed with my car. I actually DO act like an aZn hothead sometimes, and they expect my car to be all riced up. I'm getting along well with them, then they see my car, and you can SEE IN THE FACE that their opinion of me just went down.

One of the things I hate most is when all the honkie people act all so proud when they go 'back' to Hong Kong every year.
They seem proud because then they can go shopping for all the latest mobile phones, home entertainment, movies, electronics and trendy clothes at CHEAP PRICES, just so they can come back here and brag to everyone about their purchases.

One Honkie dude I know is a fuckin rich cunt. He got about AUS$7000 for lucky money at new years this year. He travels back to HK every year, wears expensive clothes and jewellery that he buys there, and bought himself a brand new Audi recently.
And he claims that he's POOR.
I hate him for that.

As for going 'back' to Vietnam.....
you're only gonna go there to go clubbing (because of the no age limit), and how most of the girls there are absolute sluts. A cousin of mine (had never met her before), was showing me around all the clubs around the area, and she's 14! WTF, seriously. I totally did not expect that. And she goes clubbing every weekend. =/
Then you've got the massage parlours.
hmmm.

As for my age, I totally don't act like a 'responsible' 20 year old at all. lol.
There are way too many of friends getting professional careers ALREADY, and my parents tell me to be more like them. Geez....
I act like a kid, pretty much. Random, hyper, does stupid things.....

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vida Eterna
Carob Nut

Member 3058

Level 4.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:19 PM Local time: Mar 22, 2006, 05:19 PM #54 of 87
Originally Posted by Nahual
So, what's your name? Is it the last name or first name that gives it away?
Well my name's Kev so not really - but it's spelt kevon. And my surname is Hayati - so I think it's safe to say it's my last name that gave it away! It was always one of those things I would dread at school, when the teacher would say "Hayati... that's an interesting name, where is that from?" and then everyone would stare

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2006, 05:27 PM #55 of 87
Originally Posted by Vida Eterna
And my surname is Hayati - It was always one of those things I would dread at school,
Well, I think that is awesome. Hayati. Cool cool.
See, I like my name, but sometimes I get made fun from having it. It's Jorge. Not GEORGE, so then people say, HOR-HEY. Get's annoying.

FELIPE NO

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2006, 12:37 AM #56 of 87
Talking about getting names messed up, it seems as though a lot of people can't say my name correctly. I've literally had certain people say my name in a way that makes it sound more of something of their own race. It's annoying. Has anybody else ever had this?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 03:51 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 01:51 PM #57 of 87
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
Talking about getting names messed up, it seems as though a lot of people can't say my name correctly. I've literally had certain people say my name in a way that makes it sound more of something of their own race. It's annoying. Has anybody else ever had this?
Somewhat. No one ever wants to spell my name as Sean. It's almost always phonetic to people--Shawn. I believe that I"m now to the point where my name is really "Sean. S. E. A. N." whenever someone is asking it and is writing it down. What's really weird is that in elementry school, I spent three or four years with teachers actually having to spend a few days trying to be able to pronounce it. I absolutley hate it when it's pronounced "seen" or "see ann" or something else. I also was told by my peers all the time that my spelling of the name was really the one given to girls, despite my efforts in telling them that my name is in fact the Irish word for John. Funny, because these same fuckers never had a problem with Sean Connery's name. Fuckin' twats.

My last name isn't really any better. I can't even begin to think what language Matoon even originates, and no one can spell that worth their lives, no mater how clearly I pronounce it.

Why couldn't my mother just stuck with her Nordic roots and named me something in Norwegian? :dotdotdot:

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:35 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 09:35 PM #58 of 87
I act how proper English people act, instead of the stereotype the rest of the world has of us. For instance, the accent is a major point. In non-English films it's always insanely posh, and usually the way they are portrayed is far less, well, gritty than how we really are.

As for age, I guess I act about my age. I can be childish at times, but then so can everyone. A few people have said I am quite mature, but not enough to convince me heh.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 03:58 PM #59 of 87
Most people think that I look and act 25-ish, but I'm 20. Of course, people have been saying that since I was in 7th grade -- when they thought I was in high school, and when I was in high school, they thought I was in college.

I suppose it has something to do with the fact that I'm an only child and I read a lot of 'good literature,' so I tend to act older. And I'm fairly reserved and polite, as a person (although I like stupid/silly shit). Post-wise, I don't think I come off as older or anything, but how should I know.

Originally Posted by Star Man Aevum
Why couldn't my mother just stuck with her Nordic roots and named me something in Norwegian?
'Cause then you probably would have ended up with something scary, like "Øyvind." Then it would have been even more fun to spell out to people.
Island of victory/wind or something similar is the meaning...

Last edited by Arkhangelsk; Mar 26, 2006 at 05:04 PM.
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 05:02 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 11:02 PM #60 of 87
Yeah... I sometimes get that... People say I don't act my age and they usually think I'm 26 while I'm only 20.
I listen to jazz and swing and when talking to people I look them in the eye wich is something rare on people my age.

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:25 PM #61 of 87
How is looking people in the eye rare? Is it rare where you live?

Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:48 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 07:48 PM #62 of 87
Quote:
'Cause then you probably would have ended up with something scary, like "Øyvind." Then it would have been even more fun to spell out to people.
Now that would have been cool.

Most amazing jew boots
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:03 PM #63 of 87
How do you even say something like that?

FELIPE NO
Foxfire Inferno
The musical fox returns!

Member 6177

Level 2.25

May 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 07:36 PM #64 of 87
People in HS would say that have more white blood in me than black, which I kinda accepted after a while. I guess it was partly due to the fact that I was always the shy one that didn't like most rap music, (unless it was the good, soft kind, and not any of that hardcore stuff,) and pretty much didn't fall into the steryotypical mold of how we're supposed to act, live, or whatever. (At least how it's seen in my neighborhood, not in black culture all together.)
I'm more attuned to Jazz, classical, some pop, even fewer rock (nothing hard), some J-pop, and I have a strong love for VGM (Video Game Music).

When things go wrong as they sometimes will
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low, and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh.
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 07:48 PM #65 of 87
My peers refer to me as the most mature in my group...I don't know if that says much XP

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 08:16 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 02:16 AM #66 of 87
I think the people who would say "You don't sound <race>" are the biggest, most prejudiced racists there are. They deny the possibility for a <race> person to be how he or she wants to be, and say that you have to be how society wants you to be instead. That's so very wrong.

Racism might not be their intention, but a racist manifesto is what they are expressing. If a black person wants to use ebonics, that's their choice. If they want to speak in perfectly formed grammatical sentances, that too is their choice. How you act should never be constrained by your race, any more than the opportunities you get in life should be.

dope
Carob Nut

Member 2054

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 10:07 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 11:07 AM #67 of 87
Yeah... when I act all crazy they think I'm kiddy not my age, I myself drop my age about 10 years during those times. I can't count how many "second childhoods" I've had.

Foxfire Inferno
The musical fox returns!

Member 6177

Level 2.25

May 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 07:32 AM #68 of 87
Whoops, had a double-post issue when the website didn't load after I tried posting it the first time. Disregard this post as it wasn't intentional. ^^;

When things go wrong as they sometimes will
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low, and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh.
When care is pressing you down a bit-
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Last edited by Foxfire Inferno; May 5, 2006 at 07:35 AM.
High_Seraphim
~*~Silver Seraph~*~

Member 4660

Level 11.09

Apr 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 01:47 PM Local time: May 6, 2006, 02:47 AM #69 of 87
not really... let's see... I've gone into studying like a metallurgy degree, even though I really wanted to study music (and though my mum wanted me in Pharmacy =_=") I've got an aussie accent, considering I was born here... I only just found out that I'm of mixed heritage, still doesn't matter to me... I dress like any other person, not the stereotypical AzN gansta shit you get hanging around town and stuff (even though, my hair is long... but, it's the only way I can look older... I swear if I have my hair spiked up, and short, they bloody say I look like I'm 15 =_=") If in usual situations, if I'm hanging with my mates and stuff, we all act like as if we were still highschool students... but I guess, I can act mature if I need to (eg. speaking to adults or unfamiliar persons :P)

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness.
Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness.
Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.

Sun Tzu's
Art of War

Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 05:38 PM #70 of 87
Originally Posted by dope
Yeah... when I act all crazy they think I'm kiddy not my age, I myself drop my age about 10 years during those times. I can't count how many "second childhoods" I've had.
Same here. I either act too old for my age or way too young for my age. When it comes to school and serious issues, I act a lot older than most people. When it comes to having fun and relaxing (or talking about my problems) I act younger (maybe teen younger...silly angst years).

Originally Posted by High_Seraphim
I dress like any other person, not the stereotypical AzN gansta shit you get hanging around town and stuff (even though, my hair is long... but, it's the only way I can look older... I swear if I have my hair spiked up, and short, they bloody say I look like I'm 15 =_=") If in usual situations, if I'm hanging with my mates and stuff, we all act like as if we were still highschool students... but I guess, I can act mature if I need to (eg. speaking to adults or unfamiliar persons :P)
People still say that I look about three or four years younger than I am. I am normally the oldest person in a group of friends, but I'm the one that either has their ID checked, or if everyone has their ID checked, I'm the only one they ever do a triple-take on. If I were to wear my hair in a ponytail, people would swear that I was 14.

Since most of my friends were too busy getting high, laid, and/or paid during high school, I like to act like a high school student whenever I hang out with friends now. It annoys them since they want to be all "I'm college so let's sit around and critique Bach and Amadeus while sipping steaming hot latte's" while I'm all "Let's go out and drive around and watch movies and eat out and throw condom balloons at the President's car! EEEEEEEEEE!" Ok, maybe not the last part, but it would be fun.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:26 PM #71 of 87
Originally Posted by Soluzar
I think the people who would say "You don't sound <race>" are the biggest, most prejudiced racists there are. They deny the possibility for a <race> person to be how he or she wants to be, and say that you have to be how society wants you to be instead. That's so very wrong.

Racism might not be their intention, but a racist manifesto is what they are expressing. If a black person wants to use ebonics, that's their choice. If they want to speak in perfectly formed grammatical sentances, that too is their choice. How you act should never be constrained by your race, any more than the opportunities you get in life should be.
Amen, Brother! Now, would you mind convincing some of these idiots I live around that it's OK to look and act intelligent? But seriously, it is annoying when people keep accusing me of sounding "white". Just how does one sound any race anyway?

FELIPE NO
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 10:37 PM Local time: May 6, 2006, 04:37 AM #72 of 87
Originally Posted by Lady Miyomi
Amen, Brother! Now, would you mind convincing some of these idiots I live around that it's OK to look and act intelligent? But seriously, it is annoying when people keep accusing me of sounding "white". Just how does one sound any race anyway?
I'm damned if I know, but this fucking annoying shit popped up on another forum I go to just last week. This asshole of a teenager got on his high horse telling these two (pretty cool) girls that they "act white", in a discussion about the use of ebonics. They both are black, in case it's not clear. He made it into this whole debate about how they apparently need to act blacker, if they expect to get respect from him. Fortunately, asshole got banned.

The interesting thing is that I never knew that one of them was. That's how it should be on the net. People are all the same, when you can't see or hear them, right? Not according to our friend. He thinks that if you don't talk (and type) that way, then you must be ashamed, or something.

Last edited by Soluzar; May 5, 2006 at 10:40 PM.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 11:13 PM #73 of 87
I get accused of not acting black a lot. Trust me, it gets on my nerves. I actually asked some fool one day, "alright, then how does a black person act?" and basically dared her to say some stupid crap to me. She had nothing to say.

I agree with you that people are all the same. It's annoying when people try to separate each by race like that. I don't know what's worse, black people telling me I act white like I'm some sort of traitor or other people telling me I don't act black enough. What is enough? I would love to know the answer to that.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 11:31 PM #74 of 87
You're not special, unique or different if you don't act your age. Most people don't. You would think that, by having a bunch of friends who are so mature for 16, you'd notice! But you don't.

Stereotypes exist for other people, not for yourself. Christ. Look, it's more significant if you had a stereotype for a demographic* that was different than other people's stereotype for that demographic. These sorts of threads only exist for preening about yourself while insinuating other people need to expand their horizons, anyway.

* that you didn't belong to. Do I need to tell you this?

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 11:33 PM #75 of 87
You're entitled to your opinion.

Anyway, I'd like to know what is enough still.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > "You don't act your race/age/etc etc."