Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How do you handle critics?

Alterminded
The Beginning of the Revolution

Member 5330

Level 8.00

Apr 2006

Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:27 PM #26 of 38
Constructive criticism is always helpful. I tend to block out the unhelpful stuff, most of the time it comes from haters, or people who just are jealous at what you have and how well you use it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"Who the hell do you think I am?!"
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:02 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2008, 10:02 PM 2 #27 of 38
Constructive criticism is always helpful. I tend to block out the unhelpful stuff, most of the time it comes from haters, or people who just are jealous at what you have and how well you use it.
Yes, people who think you lack talent are haters. What are you, 12? Haters? Really? Or are you just 1993 incarnate?

See, the problem when you say things like "block out the unhelpful stuff" is that most people see anything that doesn't fit with their views of the self as unhelpful. This sort of advice to people can be crippling. It leads to rubbish like Eragon and Terry Goodkind. These self-congratulatory assholes who have no real talent and are nothing but glorified fan-fiction writers. Just because criticism isn't worded in a pleasant, pat-you-on-the-back fashion doesn't make it untrue. Pay attention to all criticism. That's how you better yourself.

But by all means, listen to the sycophants and ignore people who say things you don't agree with. I'm sure you'll go far.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:45 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2008, 09:45 PM #28 of 38
So you don't think there's such a thing as baseless criticism?

Alterminded didn't say anything about criticism needing to come with lots of euphemisms and kind words; he just said there are people that do criticism not to be helpful or constructive, but merely to try and take down the people whose work is successful.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:48 PM Local time: Sep 1, 2008, 04:48 AM #29 of 38
He also didn't specify that baseless criticism was the point of his post. Even if it were, taking on board whatever people happen to say to you can give you miles of self-improvement. This is of course assuming the criticism is more than "fuck you, that's absolute shite".

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:51 PM Local time: Aug 31, 2008, 10:51 PM #30 of 38
I didn't say alterminded DID infer that. What I said was that it is bad advice to give someone. Someone who has the ego necessary to think they can be a professional writer/filmmaker whatever are often not the best judges of what criticism is valid and what isn't.

Originally Posted by Denicalis like... two seconds ago
See, the problem when you say things like "block out the unhelpful stuff" is that most people see anything that doesn't fit with their views of the self as unhelpful. This sort of advice to people can be crippling.
Wasn't saying anything about alterminded's intent, I was speaking of the fallout of the brand of advice he's offering.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Alterminded
The Beginning of the Revolution

Member 5330

Level 8.00

Apr 2006

Old Sep 1, 2008, 01:15 AM #31 of 38
Yes, people who think you lack talent are haters. What are you, 12? Haters? Really? Or are you just 1993 incarnate?

See, the problem when you say things like "block out the unhelpful stuff" is that most people see anything that doesn't fit with their views of the self as unhelpful. This sort of advice to people can be crippling. It leads to rubbish like Eragon and Terry Goodkind. These self-congratulatory assholes who have no real talent and are nothing but glorified fan-fiction writers. Just because criticism isn't worded in a pleasant, pat-you-on-the-back fashion doesn't make it untrue. Pay attention to all criticism. That's how you better yourself.

But by all means, listen to the sycophants and ignore people who say things you don't agree with. I'm sure you'll go far.
Well I mean this in the sense of a music Producer/DJ who happens to work at 2 clubs with residencies, which happens to be my line of work coincidentally (o shi-). I always have people come up to me and say good job and whatever, which really doesn't give much input on how i do (since most people are drunk when they say this). Few people who work DJ shifts at other clubs come by and tell me how i did technically, harmonically, and how i did my transitions and kept the party going, which would be constructive and the best kind of advice to offer. Now, then come these douchebags like, lets say Cedric Gervais (look him up) who is a pompous ass, dildo jamming, tasteless prick who talks down to you and thinks your sets are shit, which I might add are just intimidation. I have had people tell me that he is afraid of the next generation of people coming in and taking over his spot in Space (another club). Again, if you can't give me validation as to why i suck, It doesn't count.

Sorry if I implied the following mindset:

FELIPE NO
"Who the hell do you think I am?!"
coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 1, 2008, 01:16 AM Local time: Aug 31, 2008, 11:16 PM #32 of 38
With my actions and words, I have the intent of improving myself and the world around me. I realized some time ago the limitations that come along with working in isolation, so I readily accept the contributions of others, be they kind or harsh, as long as it can be applied to the issue at hand. Otherwise, I could not have a realistic expectation of accomplishing the difficult tasks I wish to complete.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Poopsie
Banned

Member 32253

Level 2.97

Nov 2008

Old Nov 18, 2008, 09:00 PM Local time: Nov 18, 2008, 06:00 PM #33 of 38
Whew, actually guys, I'm one of these people who are not used to receive critics, whenever I got critics from my friend or strangers (just recently my published novel got some reviews) and found it pointed the negative aspects, I tend to be down, nervous, and somehow feel sad to myself.

It's probably because I had low-self esteem back then, and I can't help but to associate critics with mockery, perhaps unconsciously.

Do you have some advices to handle this immaturity?
There's a shoutbox on every corner. I'd look out for felons and ex-cons, though. They make pretty good points.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:56 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2008, 04:56 PM #34 of 38
Yeah. Don't listen to criticism if you don't like how it sounds. That's some GREAT advice. You listen to every bit of criticism you get. Every. Fucking. Bit. Even if you disagree with it. The more it cuts, the more it's probably true. Don't listen to sycophants like Adara, who want to tell you it's okay to ignore some of it, cause you're great, and you just need to, you know, realise how great you are. They'll cripple you. Surround yourself with people who rip you apart. That's how you become great.
I agree and disagree with you. I believe that you need a certain amount of people that will criticize your every move, whether constructive or not. Because if you do that, you will begin to realize the things that are needed to improve yourself. Those kinds of people will never probably agree with you and may always argue, but if you continue to improve yourself and become a better person at who you are and what you do, other people will notice it. Over time, you will get the support of other people that may have once criticized you but saw your improvements and now see the positive changes.

In the end, you need a healthy balance of supporters, on the fence people, and people who will always criticize you. In this way, you will be able to see the good things you have done, the people who have changed their view of you, and still continue to see and hear the things you need to improve on. In this way, you will always evolve into something better than before.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lebo
Carob Nut

Member 32522

Level 4.76

Dec 2008

Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:05 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 06:05 PM #35 of 38
I don't think it's that easy to receive criticism; No one likes to receive it, and I can understand why many people think its hard to reat normal to it. From my own experience: All the people I heard getting criticism didn't react very well.
For example, I gave my friend a bit criticism, and she immediately began attacking the way I put it, and didn't do anything with the criticism itself. Ofcourse, there are better and worse ways to give it, but after explaining she didn't talk to me anymore.
I won't get into details, but I'm just trying to say that I think its hard to recieve criticism, and that there are only a few people who will see it as constructive, or being for the better.

Most amazing jew boots
Ever December, snow in your hair
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:54 PM #36 of 38
I really like criticism. In fact, I thrive on it. I have the mindset that if I'm not learning or improving myself in some way, then I'm wasting time.

Having been a graphic design major, I learned to take criticism very well. It's always good to listen to someone else's ideas on your work and see how the view it--because even if their view of it is wrong, it's still their view and others might possibly see it the same way--even if it is so horribly wrong.

I actually hate praise. I'd rather have harsh technical criticism just so I know where I can improve. Cause everyone has an idea of what they'd do something different. And they're all things to be considered, BUT not always followed through on.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Miki4
Carob Nut

Member 2704

Level 5.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2009, 02:38 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2009, 09:38 AM #37 of 38
I really like criticism. In fact, I thrive on it. I have the mindset that if I'm not learning or improving myself in some way, then I'm wasting time.
I wish I could be like that ...cause it's so true to act like this.

It's probably because I had low-self esteem back then, and I can't help but to associate critics with mockery, perhaps unconsciously.
I act more like you & I do think it's connect to the fact that I'm also low-self esteem person, but lately I handle it more well because I do think my self esteem got a little better over the years.

I was speaking idiomatically.
H-Bomb
Banned

Member 33163

Level 2.38

Mar 2009

Old Mar 8, 2009, 07:04 AM 1 #38 of 38
Ignore em. Critics are punk bitches.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > How do you handle critics?