Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Building a social network from scratch

How Unfortunate
Ghost

Member 4460

Level 13.04

Apr 2006

Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:17 PM #1 of 6
Building a social network from scratch

SCENARIO: You've just moved to a new town to go to school/work, and you don't know ANYBODY there. You have no friends and no knowledge of the town.

What would you do to build up a social network and start meeting people? How do you turn the people you do meet into friends?

And, how would you find the classes, clubs, or other "tools" you need to help you get things going?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:19 PM #2 of 6
age and possibly location would be your best bet but DON'T make yourself sound like spam.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
todaysmiracle
Mrs

Member 33102

Level 1.47

Mar 2009

Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:03 AM Local time: Mar 2, 2009, 02:03 PM #3 of 6
I've done that several times. With kids it's natural to meet other parents, although it sometimes takes time to get close to them (at least up here in cold Scandinavia). With "social network" I'm refering to people you trust to help you out if you need to? So, it takes some time before you start trusting people I guess.

Going to the gym, or taking an evening class might be other things to do. Joing the local church? Judo club?

Most amazing jew boots
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Mar 6, 2009, 05:07 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 11:07 PM #4 of 6
Well, you've kind of answered your own question in just...introducing the scenario. You're moving there for school or work. So just start with the people immediately in your surroundings at that place. I guess for me, the important part of building a social network as it were isn't just getting into clubs or something, it's just putting yourself out there and introducing yourself to people. If you want to join a club because you're actually interested in it...then do it, might meet some cool people there, might not, worth a try either way.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sian
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 377

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2009, 06:11 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 11:11 PM #5 of 6
Pubs! Getting a bit tipsy is a good confidence boost so you can approach people and there are interesting characters that hang about there. Good for a laugh if anything.

Most amazing jew boots
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Mar 6, 2009, 07:07 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2009, 07:07 PM #6 of 6
I've found that if you have interests you would pursue anyhow (outdoors, sports, arts, games, ect...), a site like Meetup or the like would work well to find other people who want to do the same thing. They're more likely to have similar interests, and there's less of a social barrier to meeting them, because the entire point of such groups is to meet other people.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Building a social network from scratch