Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

I suck at talking to people
Closed Thread

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2007, 03:34 AM Local time: Jun 14, 2007, 02:34 AM 2 2 #26 of 43
Out of all the people I know I'm labeled as the comedian, so I can be funny when need be.
Given that this is the first thing you've ever said that I've laughed at, I can only assume that your friend group is made up entirely of FOX network executives.

Conversation is easy. You smile a little, lock your eyes on theirs so they know you're entirely focused on them, laugh at their jokes and look interested. People are selfish and want to talk about themselves. Let that happen and you're money.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jun 14, 2007, 12:38 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2007, 05:38 PM #27 of 43
Worst thing you can do is think about it too much which I'm guessing you are, probably why so many people are saying alcohol is that tends to eliminate the over thinking problem and loosen people up. The best thing to do is find a common interest then from that ask more basic questions about them as things go on, but most importantly look interested through body language! (see previous post for tips on that)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:55 PM #28 of 43
Given that this is the first thing you've ever said that I've laughed at, I can only assume that your friend group is made up entirely of FOX network executives.

Conversation is easy. You smile a little, lock your eyes on theirs so they know you're entirely focused on them, laugh at their jokes and look interested. People are selfish and want to talk about themselves. Let that happen and you're money.
Well I'd hope you didn't find anything I've said on here funny, because I never try to be funny on here. I'm a very serious person online. In person I'm half serious, half a goof. Usually online, people try to be overly witty and to me it isn't funny at all. I stay away from that whole game. It is hard to project humor through the internet.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2007, 02:03 AM #29 of 43
See, unlike most people in this thread, I'm a fucking goof.

I have no problem talking to random people.

Blah blah. Alcohol. Blah blah. Practice. Blah blah.

All of that shit, is complete garbage. People are essentially like women, in the end. Which is to say, confidence sharks. If you're not confident, you're going nowhere.

Everybody looks at the negative side of it all. "THAT PERSON THINKS IM A FREAK NOW." Who really gives two shits? You probably won't ever see them again.

The worst thing you can do is to NOT try.

Usually you can gauge how friendly someone is if you just make a random comment. If you're waiting for a place to open/waiting in line, you can always ask someone, "Does it usually take this long?" and then their response can be used to gauge their friendliness. If they're like "I don't know, really" you can just be all "So you don't usually shop here/whatever?" and let the conversation go from there.

As Deni said, people are only interested in themselves. But you have to know how to pry that open without prying.

This works wonders for meeting random women too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Smoodle
The real NanaMan

Member 1713

Level 11.34

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2007, 03:54 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2007, 01:54 AM #30 of 43
Personally, I don't care to talk to random people that much. I'm an introvert so I actually LIKE to keep to myself most of the time unless I have something to say. I won't mind if some random person starts talking to me, though.

By the way Dragoon, good thinking - Internet gaming-nerd forums = serious business.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Crowdmaker
I should be working

Member 950

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2007, 02:30 AM 1 #31 of 43
A conversation takes two people. If the other person isn't helping the situation any, that pretty much just means you guys didn't click. There's honestly nothing you can do about that.
So not true. You CAN shoot the bull with someone that takes more from the conversation than what they give to it.

Advice: Um, be yourself. Rather than being generic, you are instead burdened by the unexcapable distinction that comes from being the only gene-experience combination like you that will ever exist. So then, you're original without even trying. While we all are, thankfully there are enough boring ones that play up to societal norms for you to stand out if you just acted like yourself.

Motivational speech over. What does this actually mean? Well, if you have anything interesting/unique that comes to mind, say it, but of course, tailor it to fit the situation. Hopefully, you're good enough with words to package your thoughts neatly and attractively, if not work on it. Then, I guarantee you problem solved. Anything you say into an awkward silence will be golden. It's a bit like jazz; it doesn't matter what tune you start with, it's how you improvise over it.

Not everyone is worth the effort, but at that point how and who you decide to talk to is up to you.

Edit: Dragoon and Fox TV owned like hell by the same sentence, dyamn.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Crowdmaker; Jun 16, 2007 at 02:47 AM.
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:22 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2007, 04:22 PM 1 #32 of 43
A conversation takes two people, genius. How else could you communicate?

If you were the one doing all the talking then you'd be talking to them, not holding a conversation.

Get it?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:21 PM Local time: Jun 18, 2007, 08:21 PM #33 of 43
I also find myself aflutter when trying to make small conversation, especially as I grow older.
I try to hide the fact that I simply don't care about socializing for its own sake, unless there is some kind of point behind it. I am a bit calculating in that way, and I think normally people are a bit offended by this... perhaps they should be. I don't talk just to talk and would rather make better use of my time doing something more productive.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2007, 09:01 PM #34 of 43
I also find myself aflutter when trying to make small conversation, especially as I grow older.
I try to hide the fact that I simply don't care about socializing for its own sake, unless there is some kind of point behind it. I am a bit calculating in that way, and I think normally people are a bit offended by this... perhaps they should be. I don't talk just to talk and would rather make better use of my time doing something more productive.
Yes, because standing in a line with your thumb in your ass is oh so much more productive. Who the fuck are you trying to fool?

I can't speak for anyone else here, but someone calculating is kind of fucking creepy. The fact that you don't even like to socialize and you pretty much proving you're anti-social leads me to believe you're a sociopath or a psychopath, one or the other.

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:18 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 12:18 AM #35 of 43
Better to have my thumb up my ass than up your ass, right? I am perfectly fine with being attentive when going over my own thoughts. I don't feel the NEED to present them to the world unnecessarily and I don't NEED to talk to strangers about small minded things in order to pass time.

Since you seem so very interested, I am very warm with close friends but not very trusting to people in general. There you have it.

If that makes me a psychopath, then it makes you a yeasty blabbering stain who doesn't know the first thing about people. Go about engaging in idle chitchat all you want, just don't think that it makes you any saner/less sane because of it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:26 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2007, 10:26 PM #36 of 43
RainMan, I recommend you edit your post and add more there's seems to be a shortage and takes away some umphf, do you understand?

Also Reznor, I would highly suggest backing down. RainMan is both silent and deadly.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Divest; Jun 19, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 09:44 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 07:44 AM #37 of 43
Better to have my thumb up my ass than up your ass, right? I am perfectly fine with being attentive when going over my own thoughts. I don't feel the NEED to present them to the world unnecessarily and I don't NEED to talk to strangers about small minded things in order to pass time.
Talking with strangers is actually a pretty good skill to develop, since if you're interested in networking with people and opening up more career/travel/whatever opportunities for yourself. Not that everyone feels that's an important thing to do, but there's no reason for you to seem like you're looking down at other people that enjoy doing it.

How ya doing, buddy?
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:33 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 12:33 PM #38 of 43
Talking with strangers is actually a pretty good skill to develop, since if you're interested in networking with people and opening up more career/travel/whatever opportunities for yourself.
I agree. Its something that I am continually working on but this is quite different than talking without an ultimate sense of purpose.

Not that everyone feels that's an important thing to do, but there's no reason for you to seem like you're looking down at other people that enjoy doing it.
Look down on others? No. I didn't say that. I was defending myself from the claim that quiet people are psychotic, which is a tard-like prognosis. I said that I don't enjoy making small talk. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that I looked down upon anyone for doing anything.

Most amazing jew boots
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:18 PM #39 of 43
Look down on others? No. I didn't say that. I was defending myself from the claim that quiet people are psychotic, which is a tard-like prognosis. I said that I don't enjoy making small talk. I am not sure how you came to the conclusion that I looked down upon anyone for doing anything.
If you think that the reason for the comment was solely based on you being quiet, you're the one who's tard-like. I can only imagine that he came about the conclusion that you look down on people because of the way you present yourself. You present yourself like an arrogant cock, but instead of being a cock, you come off more like this psuedo-arrogant vagina.

Learn to read between the lines, dude, that's all I can say.

FELIPE NO
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Jun 19, 2007, 06:43 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2007, 06:43 PM #40 of 43
If you think that the reason for the comment was solely based on you being quiet, you're the one who's tard-like.
I am sorry, but that is not entirely convincing. I think you're a complete moron. Nothing personal.

II can only imagine that he came about the conclusion that you look down on people because of the way you present yourself.
I've stated that I am cautious and methodical when making conversation. You stated that this would constitute similar behavior akin to being psychotic or irrational. Tell me, does this fall within your own thoughts of psychotic behavior or some objective principle?

What the hell would you know?

IYou present yourself like an arrogant cock, but instead of being a cock, you come off more like this psuedo-arrogant vagina.
? I don't know how to respond to this, so I won't.

ILearn to read between the lines, dude
I'd advise you to learn a bit more about people before coming to a definitive and rather unqualified assumption.

that's all I can say.
I'll take you at your word.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sceptre X
\usr\bin\sceptrex

Member 16350

Level 11.01

Dec 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 02:38 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 02:38 PM #41 of 43
You know, the best way to get better at just talking to people is to get a job where you're in that setting. Once I got a job bagging groceries, it was cake. Practice on the chatty old ladies.

Oh, and alcohol.

Most amazing jew boots
It turns out that today is opposite day, so all of what you have said is true, so you should probably just go.
static_x_2666
Wark!

Member 32722

Level 1.34

Jan 2009

Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:42 PM 1 #42 of 43
I know this topic is old, but it came up in a Google search. I just wanted to say to the OP, if he is still here, *I feel your pain.* I can be witty, talkative, funny, smooth, or anything else if there is a *pretext,* but barring that, I don't know what to say and have nothing to say. The only things I can think of are like "man, these bar glasses are... nice," and that is obviously retarded. When it comes down to it though, there is no problem with me. I just literally don't care about shooting the **** and letting the person's words go in one ear and out the other.

Luckily, when you have a girlfriend you really don't need nor desire to go out socializing much.

Last edited by static_x_2666; Jan 16, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > I suck at talking to people