Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Decent reliable and capable Firewall...

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:16 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 04:16 AM #1 of 16
Post Decent reliable and capable Firewall...

I'm interested in some free alternatives rather than pay for service Firewalls since they seem to do just about the same job. Problem is, 2/4 PCs at home have been running Norton Systemworks 2006. I'm no big fan of it but family members here can't be bothered with advanced setting features and whatnot. So seeing as how everyone will be away except me, :ashamed: I'll go ahead and replace Norton with NOD32 for antivirus and I haven't made my mind up on a suitable firewall. Links, opinions and whatever you can jot down here would be quite useful. Also, I'm staying away from ZoneAlarm's Firewall. It seems to have issues when connecting a Nintendo DS via wifi. :doh:

Bottom of the page...

http://www.nintendowifi.com/consumer..._compatibility

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Ryunam
As bright as a pumpkin

Member 158

Level 11.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 05:23 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 11:23 AM #2 of 16
Try Sygate Personal Firewall.
It is adequately customizable, monitors activities in an efficient way, isn't too intrusive and blocks incoming malware very well.

If you opt for it, go for version 5.5. I've heard the newer 5.6 has potential bugs/holes, but that would certainly require confirmation.
5.5 can be found here.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Ryunam; Jun 9, 2006 at 08:49 AM.
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:12 AM #3 of 16
No Software Firewall can ever replace a Hardware Firewall. I configure the one in my router.

How ya doing, buddy?
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 08:36 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 09:36 AM #4 of 16
Know how to configure a Linksys BEFSR41?

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
LiveTendiser
Holdin Strong

Member 5978

Level 6.41

Apr 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:05 AM #5 of 16
Originally Posted by Arainach
No Software Firewall can ever replace a Hardware Firewall.
Indeed that is true, but I haven't found an external firewall device that can do application control on an o/s; which is the main reason why I also have an internal software firewall.

I'd recommend Kerio. It's small, uses just the right amount of system resources to run, and it's effective. Give it a shot.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:32 AM #6 of 16
If you need application-level control, I'd grudgingly use Kerio as well. I dropped it because it was an insane resource hog on my system, but it was still better than ZoneAlarm or the Windows Firewall.

To T1249: Out of the box, most routers are configured quite well enough for home networks, just so long as you encrypt the traffic with WPA (if it's wireless) and change the default admin username/password. It'll hide ports, control access, and everything else that's needed automatically.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiveTendiser
Holdin Strong

Member 5978

Level 6.41

Apr 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 10:59 AM #7 of 16
just so long as you encrypt the traffic with WPA (if it's wireless) and change the default admin username/password.
I fully concur with Arainach statement. WPA is far more effective in securing your network then WEP, which, although it uses a good cipher, it wasn't constructed by security experts, but by engineers.

If you want, you can listen to a podcast that will give you more information about WEP and the recommend WPA for securing wireless networks. Download episode 11 & 13. That should bring you up to speed.

I dropped it because it was an insane resource hog on my system
Wow. That's the first time I've heard such a claim. Kerio, by design, is not meant to be a resource hog. What do you think caused it?

FELIPE NO
Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 02:29 PM #8 of 16
I never did figure out exactly why it was happening except that it was (even survived an uninstall/reinstall), and since I don't need application-level control (over the years I've actually gotten to the point where, between Open-Source software and shelling out cash, I own all software on my system), I just dropped it entirely.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 05:24 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 02:24 PM #9 of 16
Quote:
Wow. That's the first time I've heard such a claim. Kerio, by design, is not meant to be a resource hog. What do you think caused it?
Any piece of software that is designed to monitor and update your port status in real-time is going to be a resource hog. It is the very nature of software firewall programs and one of the main reasons hardware firewalls exist.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 05:25 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 06:25 PM #10 of 16
Kerio sounds like a keeper but as it turns out it has a limited 30-day trial.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LiveTendiser
Holdin Strong

Member 5978

Level 6.41

Apr 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 11:13 PM #11 of 16
Originally Posted by Cetra
Any piece of software that is designed to monitor and update your port status in real-time is going to be a resource hog. It is the very nature of software firewall programs and one of the main reasons hardware firewalls exist.
Indeed.

Originally Posted by T1249NTSCJ
Kerio sounds like a keeper but as it turns out it has a limited 30-day trial.
That's true, but that's just to keep all the advance features. After the 30 day trial, it switches over to basic, which in itself is very secure. It still does application control; you just don't get all the nice web filtering technology.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:56 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 08:56 PM #12 of 16
I just got into Keiro after Zone Alarm crashed one too many times (thus bringing down my internet for a few minuets). But it's not the new Kerio, but version 2.1.5, considered by many one of the best freeware firewalls availible (snag it here). Get it configured according to these steps and you should have a rock solid firewall with very little system resource usage.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 01:11 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 02:11 PM #13 of 16
I found a decent firewall, who would've actually thought PCMag would have info I wasn't aware of.

http://www.personalfirewall.trustix....ica&country=US

I'm interested to see if you Kaiten, with all those recommended settings pass the test on the link above?

How ya doing, buddy?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 04:10 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 03:10 PM #14 of 16
To T1249: Out of the box, most routers are configured quite well enough for home networks, just so long as you encrypt the traffic with WPA (if it's wireless) and change the default admin username/password. It'll hide ports, control access, and everything else that's needed automatically.
One problem Arainach. The thread maker stated that he is using a NDS wirelessly. WPA is NOT compatible with the NDS.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 12:37 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 10:37 AM #15 of 16
Originally Posted by T1249NTSCJ
I found a decent firewall, who would've actually thought PCMag would have info I wasn't aware of.

http://www.personalfirewall.trustix....ica&country=US

I'm interested to see if you Kaiten, with all those recommended settings pass the test on the link above?
Kerio 2.1.5 ONLY blocks inbound and outbound network traffic, NOT what happens to the programs. So what the test does doesn't test my firewall, since it goes through approved programs to get the job done.

FELIPE NO
subferno
Syklis Green

Member 1456

Level 6.62

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 10:31 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 10:31 PM #16 of 16
Agnitum Outpost is pretty good in my opinion.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Decent reliable and capable Firewall...