Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] The Game Review Thread - No Posts By Skills Because He Never Finishes His 10000 Games

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:31 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2013, 09:31 AM #76 of 102
The mooks are there for meter building, which you then bust on the boss.

That's the entirety of the "strategy" the game requires. There's nothing more to it than that and trying to time critical specials.

It's cute but when battles take an hour for no reason other than SUDDENLY 40 MORE ENEMIES it gets so insanely tiring that even the ridiculous dialog gets tiresome.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Aug 27, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:34 PM Local time: Aug 27, 2013, 06:34 PM #77 of 102
Having cancelled my Live subscription and got PSPlus instead, I got a bunch of games for free and with not much free time at present and my girlfriend hogging the laptop, I've been playing through the PS Vita version of Lego Lord of the Rings and it's now the first game I've got a platinum trophy for.

It's the same as the DS version and from what I can tell, hugely cut down from the 360 and PS3 versions. Anyone who's played a Lego game will know what they're in for here and it's pretty formulaic. There's less fighting than the Star Wars ones and fewer puzzles than the Batman one. Also it's not in any way funny which was the charm of the earlier ones. For a free game it's diverting enough for 15 hours or so but dear God don't pay for it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:58 AM Local time: Sep 8, 2013, 03:58 PM #78 of 102
Yesterday I more or less finished Arkham City on the Xbox. I got the game of the year edition with all the DLC included so I'm still playing through Harley Quinn's Revenge but I finished the main story.

It's a pretty awesome game actually. Retains the atmosphere of the original whilst adding to it. Having a more open-world setting lends itself to more, annoying fetch quest style things but none of them are story-related and the couple of times you do need to get across town in a hurry for a main mission the time limit is incredibly generous. The combat is still fluid and intuitive and the learning curve is still pretty forgiving, although there are sections where a proper tutorial would help, I still can't work out how blade counter takedowns are supposed to work for example. Puzzle-wise, there is a touch of variety but mostly they revolve around working out which gadget to use in each situation. There are a few I can't figure out and a few I don't possess the manual dexterity for, plus there are a total of 400 Riddler tokens in the game so fuck bothering to find all of those. One niec touch is you can interrogate certain thugs to get the location of some secrets added to your map so there's actually an outside chance of being able to 100% this without a guide but you'd need a good couple of months with fuck all else to do to achieve it.

As well as the main campaign there are the challenge modes which again, there are a ton of and I've not bothered with it. Also included with the GOTY edition are a bunch of alternate skins for Batman you can use after you finish the campaign and there's an extra, tougher, new game plus mode so you certainly get your money's worth for the tenner this cost me.

Worth it for the campaign alone I'd say.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:21 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2013, 10:21 AM 1 #79 of 102
Oh man, now I want to finish the extra stuff in Arkham City!

Anyway, time for my update!

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
Got this free from PSplus a month or two ago. I only got a 3month sub just so I can test it out. First of all, I was a bit upset that it was an FPS game. I didn't expect it to be that way. And since I never watched any gameplay reviews, I didn't know how the game will look like when playing it. So at first I was like, "Oh man, this sucks, I was expecting an MGS-type stealth game". But after a while, I began to appreciate the game an it's mechanics.

The FPS gameplay suits the game, and the cover system works well with the stealth-playing. What really hooked me in the game is the level of detail you can gather from the environment. I didn't really bother with the side-quests because I just wanted to go through the game before my subscription expires. There was no major bug issue with the game I played except for the choppy/stuttering movie cutscenes, all of them. Aside from that, everything was working fine.

I won't go into the details of the experience points system, but in terms of the world building and gameplay, it's a really good game and I kind of regret not spending enough time with it. I might get it when it's on sale on steam since people say it's a lot better (and improved) on the PC.

The Last of Us (PS3)
Ok, so I was finally able to play this game and I must say it's one of the best stories I've ever played. It's basically an interactive movie with some gameplay inbetween. I've never played any Naughty Dog prior to this (except for Crash Bandicoot), so I had no idea what to expect on the gameplay and story.

Anyway, the game is pretty straightforward. Some level of difficulty at some areas, but most of the game is pretty much a breeze. The AI has some issues, and once you figure it out their flaw, you won't really bother hiding from them except for taking cover when under attack. The game also has unfixed annoying bugs! I encountered a bug in the first few minutes in the game where Joel and Tommy gets in the jeep and they both stand up with their heads through the roof, then the game does not progress even though you can move around. There's a lot of rubberbanding, enemies who go back standing up after choking them, and stuttering cutscenes. Most of these got fixed by pausing the game and leaving it alone for 10-15 minutes, that gives me some extra time to finish chores the wife asks me to do. The game is very pretty, the graphics and visuals are very polished, and the environment is very detailed. Especially when the outside environment get hit by sunlight, it looks very very pretty.

Story-wise, it has a pretty good narrative. Great characters & excellent voice acting. There are some points in the story where you go "OH NOO! WHY!" but nothing that's not been done before. I personally thing the ending was an emotional letdown. Sure, it was a fitting end to their story, but I was expecting a climatic and fulfilling ending. With regard to the gameplay, it gets somewhat repetitive and boring sometimes since the difficulty doesn't seem to change a lot. Even the last battle wasn't that challenging.

Overall it's a great game (even with the annoying bugs) and a good gaming experience.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Vemp; Sep 8, 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:42 AM Local time: Sep 11, 2013, 05:42 PM #80 of 102
Haha, speaking of bugs, on the Deadshot mission in Arkham City, I saved the last dude from getting shot and you're supposed to chase Deadshot across the rooftops I guess only I ninja-roped up onto a roof, swung straight through the building and clipped straight through the floor of the level, ending up in endless freefall away from an inverted version of the city. Needless to say this let me very easily pickup all the gliding long distances riddler trophies as well as the diving long distances ones...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2013, 07:30 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2013, 01:30 PM #81 of 102
Spec Ops: The Line. I've been playing through my new backlog of free, PSPlus games, the first of which to get done was Spec Ops. It's a fun enough run and gun affair, more arcadey than your Ghost Recons, less arcadey than Gears or something like that. It's a bit easy to be honest and coming from me who is notoriously shit at shootan games that's saying something. It's also pretty linear, every fight is more or less a selection of things to hide behind while you pop up and shoot people all coming from the same direction. For a shooty game, the story is actually half-decent and where the game attempts social commentary and moral questioning, it doesn't fail miserably. Achievements-wise I got everything except the finding all the hidden intel items and finishing it on harder skill levels on a single, normal-mode playthrough and a couple of dips back into levels on easy mode to pick up the ones you get for making one of the moral choices. I actually found half the intel items without even looking for them so the others probably aren't too well hidden. The main issue with the game is a couple of completely unfair sections where you die a lot because of game mechanics rather than anything else, most notably a bit where you're running away from a helicopter and if you don't hit the run button quick enough or if you clip some scenery or don't take the most effective line you die, over and over again. Fun enough game though and certainly not bad for effectively free.

Most amazing jew boots
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:01 AM #82 of 102
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

This game will probably rival Mario Kart 7 as the must have for the 3DS. A familiar Link to the Past world setting and gameplay really helps bring in the nostalgia feel but not everything is exactly the same (like the dungeons). Being able to rent just about every item in the game is a neat twist, and as long as you don't die you won't lose them. If you do, the shop owner makes the dick move of sending his flying friend to collect them once you hit continue so you start back where you died without those items. You have the option to buy them for good for 800 or 1200 rupees respectively.

The remixed music is amazing, but they kinda pull a Metroid Prime with the overworld music. What I mean by that is as you progress through the game the overworld music changes...it has the same melody, but with subtle differences whether it's a stronger tune the next time and whatnot.

I haven't tried the Shadow Link streetpass/spotpass deal yet where you can battle a friend's Link and gain rupees, so I can't comment on that.

Story is good and there's actually not as much dialogue to it as in past Zelda games, which helps keep the game moving at a nice pace.

Some of the old sound effects have been brought back and redone like the enemy dying, the sword charging up and then releasing for a spin attack, the guards noticing you and then chasing you, and of course my favorite the sword projectile sound.

Overall, loved the game and will probably go back to collect some of the stuff I missed. Also, there's apparently a hero mode that I unlocked which I might go back and do as well.

See that's what I consider a great game...when it's so fun or so good you want to go back and play it, collect/unlock everything. Something that Sonic Lost World failed to do...goddammit.

Edit: 12/22/2013

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Remastered) (Android)

I should note that I played this on my brother's Ouya so I could use a controller and a TV. Touch controls just don't work that well for me on a Sonic game.

If you haven't played Sonic 2 then you either didn't own a Genesis or you just didn't care for the series. Many people revere this as the best Sonic game ever made. Instead of talking about the whole game, I'm only going to talk about what's different in this version.

You'll notice some very subtle differences here and there that you don't remember from the old game, like in the boss of Wing Fortress Zone, the laser was silent in the original game but in this version you hear the charged laser sound effect from Sonic 3.

Here are some of the more major differences you'll notice right away:

1. The game is in widescreen. I know that's not a big deal, but it might throw you off to know that the life counter has been moved from the lower left to the upper right.

2. The animations are much smoother. This is probably the biggest difference you'll notice. Remember the gears you climb in Metropolis Zone, how it turned one step at a time? Now, it never stops or stutters it just keeps going like a wheel. By far the biggest difference you'll notice in this category are the special stages, they almost look like they were redone completely. The drawback for this is your timing is going to be off, so you'll have to adjust accordingly (which is difficult).

3. This might be due to #2 but some of the AI seems smarter. Coconuts in Emerald Hill, the flying bugs in Aquatic Ruin, the seahorses in Oil Ocean, they seem more annoying than usual. It really pisses me off when I finally gather 50 rings and the only thing standing between me and a lamppost on top of a loop is Coconuts climbing up and down a tree. I jump and just right before I'm about to destroy the monkey robot, it throws a coconut at me costing me my hard earned rings. This has happened on several occasions.

4. One of the cut levels, Hidden Palace Zone is included. Like the name suggests, if you play the game like normal you won't hit it. Instead, you access it in Mystic Cave Zone 2 in one of the pit traps near the end. The level itself is pretty cool as it contains enemies not found anywhere else in the game. One thing that has pissed off some of the fans is that the track people have come to known as the Hidden Palace Zone track is not used. Instead, it's the music from 2P Mystic Cave Zone. This has brought about some confusion but from what I've read, this is how it originally was in the game and the Hidden Palace Zone track was supposed to be used for a cutscene in the game.

Oh, and the Robotnik boss fight is definitely interesting. You've got to use a little bit of puzzle solving to get through that one.

Overall, a nice update to a classic and I'm hoping they port it over to Steam someday.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by SuperSonic; Dec 22, 2013 at 12:46 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2014, 03:27 PM #83 of 102
Deadly Premonition The Director's Cut

This game pretty much flew past my radar and I'd never had played it if it didn't become a cult following. Twin Peaks happened the same way too. I've never heard of it until it had became a cult following. So I had this game coming via rental, and I made a point to watch Twin Peaks before I played this.

30 episodes later, while I'm completely in the void of where David Lynch had left off with that god damn Bob ending, this game can appease me somewhat.

Definitely a lot of references are made, if anything to pop culture in the 80s and Twin Peaks.

Like in Twin Peaks, the protagonist is a FBI agent with a split personality (Zach) with a questionable investigative method arriving in a small town with an array of unique characters. You arrive there to find out what happened to the town's young beautiful maiden being murdered and then crucified on a tree. While also investigating other murders' common link; the red seeds which is found on this girl's body as well.

First off, this game couldn't get away with a lot of negative press. You notice right away the subpar graphics in this game that could be outdated back to ps2 era at least. People also bitched about the clunky controls that reminds you of ps1's Resident Evils. Slow to react, slow to change animation, slow loading times, the works. They also bitched about the terrible timing of music in places too. I'm sure there's more too.

Secondly, this game had received the most polarizing review according to World Guinness Records. In other words, on the flip side, this is the greatest horror adventure game had been ever made. The plot, the characters, the little details of timing of their routines as well as the world you're on. It was developed with love obviously, you cannot go by a day without finding something new! You could sneak a peek at these characters of their daily lives and learn something new about them daily. And then the main plot. At first, it seemed to run as your typical mill run murder story and then it just quickly de-evolves into something crazier. Just like Twin Peaks. Amazing. Just amazingly good and bad at the same time.

York, the main character was fantastic and I appreciated his interactions with other characters. Followed by Emily, Thomas and George.

The game has 50 trading cards for you to get, as well as 50 side quests. There's also 6? or so combat reruns that rewards you with better weapons and/or trading cards. The game admittedly have a small world that pretty much seemed like a deserted landscape but if anything, it offers a sense of realistic scenario of a small town.

I love it. It only took me 25 hours to find and get everything out of this game. PS3 version has only one difficulty which is on easy/normal. And this game is ridiculously easy once you get the infinite submachine gun. Outside of that, your combat experience can vary due to their slow/unpredictable teleporting nature and your melee having varying reach to hit them. I opted for submachine gun since it juggles them and keeps them at bay per hit. If I wanted to go hard mode, you could make a sticking point to stick with breakable melee weapons.

You also can wear different colored suits, a few of them can impact your health or pulse meters. Pulse meter goes up when you run or hold your breath and when you max that out, you get sluggish slow. Rarely I ever worry about that except in that game of Darts. Health is pretty much inconsequential when you get that submachine gun and keep the shadows (enemies) at bay away from you. You do need to worry about sleep/eating though. You can also smoke to pass time but you'll lose out on food/sleep meter. The only time you'd ever worry about those meters is when you're sleeping to pass a day into certain weather conditions you want that certain characters would show up at a specific time and place.

Because of that, the guide is needed to find what you need to find. Weather permitting, you can be sure to find people at home during rainy times while its the opposite otherwise.

I thought I mention this game in the slew of games I've been beating lately because again, this game needs more recognition.

Most amazing jew boots
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:19 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2014, 01:49 AM #84 of 102
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean (From a Completionist point of view)

A couple of years ago I finished collecting for the sega saturn. I just never had much of a chance to play any of the games just because I work away from home, but the first game I always wanted to play for that system was Albert Odyssey because I literally fell in love with the artwork of game when I seen an article for this game in an issue of gamefan so long ago.

When I was home over the christmas holidays I finally decided to make time to get this game completed to 100%. This game is a very simplistic turn based rpg but despite its simplicity it is a very beautiful game to look at. I couldn't help but fall in love with how the game and the sprites looked and it was actually a wonderful feeling to travel a world map again. The music is incredibly well done and the working designs humour shines through and through. It is a very short jrpg and I wouldn't necessarily say it has a very deep story. Its typical jrpg fare but it just simply reminds me of a time in which many jrpgs offered a really enjoyable experience.

With regards to completing this game it was really hard to find how to complete this game to 100%. Even the faqs offered on gamefaqs didn't have all the information that was needed to complete this game. I had to check a few message boards to make sure I didn't miss anything.

In this game there are no bestiaries, no item lists, and no weapon and armour lists to fill out. This game does have quite a few missables in it. Some of the most major missables are specific story sequences. Some of them don't offer anything while one of them gives you an excellent item that reduces the cost of everything in item shops and weapon/armour shops by half.

When it comes to completing this game a few things to consider:

With every new town you visit check everywhere especially the pots and barrels. All the pots will give you an item. Every town you can revisit again, once you have the teleportation spell and later on an airship (a flying goldfish). However keep in mind that some towns will change later in the game and you may not have the same opportunity to grab those items.

Also there are quite a few dungeons that if you don't grab all the treasure chests and check all the pots when you beat the dungeon the first time, you'll never be able to go back to that dungeon again. Some examples are Valerian Castle, Balan's Fort, and the Air Castle so search thoroughly with every new dungeon you decide to visit.

The game is divided into two parts. Trust me, when you play the game you'll know when the first part of the game is finished and when the second part begins.

There are four main sidequests/story sequences you can miss throughout this game so I wanted to make people aware of what they are, if you wanted to complete this game.

1.) Before you go to the air castle, you'll be asked to go Bugdoniel in the centre of the desert. Don't go to the town just yet, if you travel to the northwest of the town, you'll see the grounded air castle surrounded by a force field. If you go to the force field you'll unlock a rather comical story section of the game. This is the only story segment you could miss during the first half of the game.

2.) In the town of Mycent, once you travel to the mayor's house you'll see a scene where a girl runs off, if you talk to another woman just outside the gates of the town mansion and then talk to the mayor. He'll ask you to retrieve his daughter. Travel North of Mycent but don't go into the graveyard of ages. If you do into the graveyard you won't be able to activate the scene. Once you see the graveyard of ages travel North and then immediately East. Keep walking east, the water should be above and you should be able to walk into a destroyed town which isn't visible on the world map. In this destroyed town you'll meet the mayor's daughter and an enemy known as the iron giant. Destroy the iron giant and you get the item called the quest pass which decreases the cost of all items/weapon/armour by half.

3.) Two lovers sidequest. In the town of Gigarl you'll meet a man that is distraught because the love of his life left him and hasn't come back. This quest should be completed once you have krishna in your part because of her teleportation spell. If you play your saturn game between 8 am and 8 pm or change your saturn clock to that time, you'll actually find his wife in a cave southeast of the town of Gadel. Keep going back and forth between these two locations and eventually the old man will follow you to the cave so that he can be reunited with his long lost love. The story sequence doesn't really give you anything in particular, but the scene itself is quite endearing and a little comical to boot.

4.) Extra scene between Pike and Eka. Once you have beaten all four towers in order to unlock the central tower which is the final dungeon in the game. Head back to the town of Solace, there you'll unlock an extra scene about pike revealing his true feelings for Eka. Its a nice little side story to see especially before you go to the final dungeon. You'll also get 5 miracle mangoes which are very useful items in the game.

Also before you go to the final dungeon (all the other towers in the game need to be beaten first). Head to the towns of Chestoria, Mycent, and Gadel. If you go to the Weapon & Armour shops you'll notice that you can purchase really powerful weapons and armour in each of the shops in those locations that are more powerful than other weapons and armour you have found throughout the game.

If you want to unlock all the character skills and spells in the game. Getting your characters to level 50 is a safe bet if you want to make sure all the characters have each and every one of their specific skills. It is incredibly easy to get to this level because each of the bosses in each of the 4 towers give you a ton of experience when you beat them.

If its one gripe I had about the game, and this is a known problem with a lot of people who have played the game. All of a sudden when you get into a random battle. The screen will freeze and there is no way to get out of it. I found this happened when I was facing random encounter in dungeons instead of facing random encounters on the world map. It has happened about 7 or 8 times and then it can be a bit of a pain since you can only save in towns and some dungeons. So just be warned that your game can and will freeze when you face a random encounter.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2014, 05:18 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2014, 11:18 AM #85 of 102
So I just completed the living shit out of Far Cry 3. Platinum trophy and everything, that's two more Platinums I have than Skills...

Anyhow, game is fucking awesome. It's like Just Cause 2 mashed with Skyrim and Fallout 3 (kinda). Massive island, suitable variety in the scenery that you don't get bored of it, lots of stuff to do and whilst most of it boils down to sneaking into camps to disable an alarm before killing the fuck out of a bunch of people, there is an interesting mix of bad guys in each and the range of kit you give means you can mix it up, sniping people at one base then rushing in with a flamethrower to cook the bad guys in the next. The story is a bit bollocks but the bad guy characters are interesting enough to make up for the painfully annoying main character and his mates. There's a moral choice at the end made incredibly easy by how annoying the American kids in the game are...

In terms of completionism, this is how games should be. There are a ton of collectables hidden around but rather than having to resort to online guides or videos, you can buy items in-game that show everything up on the map. You still have to hunt around a bit, especially for the stuff underground but I managed to get all but one achievement without resorting to the internet and that's because one of them is finding a random head buried in the sand on a beach.

I did think I wasn't going to get the co-op trophies but it turns out co-op is fucking awesome and there are still a bunch of people playing. One thing to note though is that left to their own devices, most co-op players will play the first two levels over and over. To get the trophies for the later levels with random online players, you need to keep re-starting until it sets you up as host then you get to pick the chapter. I played through the whole lot in one day yesterday with primarily the same three randoms.

So yeah, really great game and eminently 100%able.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2014, 07:08 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2014, 12:08 PM #86 of 102
In terms of completionism, this is how games should be. There are a ton of collectables hidden around but rather than having to resort to online guides or videos, you can buy items in-game that show everything up on the map. You still have to hunt around a bit, especially for the stuff underground but I managed to get all but one achievement without resorting to the internet and that's because one of them is finding a random head buried in the sand on a beach.
Thankfully a lot more games are being sensible about this kind of thing these days, and the ability to gain or purchase an ability that helps you track down collectibles is appearing more often. The other thing games are doing a bit better, and is what made the Agility Orbs so good in Crackdown, is making the collectibles worth actually collecting. One of the worst things games can do is throw in hundreds of things to collect with just an achievement or trophy being your reward if you hunt them all down.

How ya doing, buddy?
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 15, 2014, 11:00 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2014, 05:00 PM #87 of 102
Very true, the XP I got from finding relics in FC3 made me unlock all the skills pretty much as soon as I got on the second island. Combined with going to all the radio towers being the first thing I did there so unlocking all the weapons, it did make the end game a touch too easy on normal mode, not something I'd usually say about an FPS game! I'm definitely in favour of games giving hints to collectibles though. I literally see no point in using a guide to find collectibles in a game, why bother? What does it prove? That you're capable of following instructions?

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:27 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2014, 06:27 PM #88 of 102
I finished God of War 3 the other day, although only got about half the trophies. It's a decent game but doesn't do anything all the others don't and has a few annoying bugs in it. Certainly I wasn't so in to it I can be arsed to do the challenges or play through again on hard mode. There's nothing too taxing in the trophy list though, most of it you get just playing through normally although I suspect there might be some annoyingly hidden pickups somewhere.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:56 PM #89 of 102
Eryi's Action

It's okay if you've never heard of this, it was it's own thing much like VVVVVV until it became one of the Steam Greenlight games. It is currently $4.99, but I believe it was 50% off during one of the sales. I didn't pay a thing because it was gifted to me.

Anyway, here's the plot:

One fine day, Eryi went to eat the melon that she had been SO looking forward to... but it was nowhere to be found! Then she noticed a note on the table. She picked it up and read: "Your melon looked delicious, so I took it. From Farta X"
Fuming with rage, Eryi set out from her house to get her melon back from Farta.

One thing I didn't like about this game is you can't set the resolution, it is forced to a much lower one (either 640x480 or 800x600). You can set it to be Windowed or Fullscreen, and it looks fine fullscreen but since I'm running two monitors, the 2nd one is blown up as well...so if I have Skype chat or IRC going I may no longer even see it.

Anyway, this starts off looking like a cute little platformer. You start off in Eryi's home which is one screen. As you start walking to the right, suddenly it hits you...literally. A pan drops from the ceiling and hits you on the head, instant death.

So you try again, making the pan fall and running to the left to avoid it only for 3-4 pans lined up side by side to drop and kill you again.

Even on the level select screen sometimes when you choose a level, an enemy pops out and kills you on the map.

Yes, this is one of those games like Dragon's Lair or I Wanna Be The Guy where you have to memorize the game in order to advance and to do that, you're gonna die, and die, AND DIE.

When the piranha flower kills you, Eryi is stripped to her underwear with her arms covering her chest...so take that little bit of fanservice as you will.

So the controls are your movement (joystick/d-pad), jump, run, and pick up. You can pick up items and some enemies to help you progress through the game, but the game doesn't let you know this until it's absolutely necessary.

When I beat it, I think my death count ended up being 352. There are also crystals you can collect through the game, which if you collect them all unlocks an Extra mode where you're limited to only 30 lives to clear the game...and that's where I draw the line.

Overall, the game isn't bad. Is it worth $5? Ehhhhhh, maybe? Is it worth $2.50 or $3? Definitely.

If you want to give it a shot, you can grab a demo of the game here (demo might be on Steam too, not sure): Demo | Eryi's Action

If you don't have the patience to deal with this kind of gameplay or if you get frustrated very easily, then this is not the game for you. It is challenging, and some of the boss battles require some calculating. It is also a short game spanning about 13-15 levels (can't remember how many).

Enjoy!...you masochists.

Most amazing jew boots
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:00 PM 3 #90 of 102
PLANT GIRL BEST GIRL

#654: Braixen
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 8, 2014, 03:48 PM Local time: Sep 8, 2014, 09:48 PM #91 of 102
Nierly completed it

Nier - PS3

So today I saw ending "B" of Nier. Being the kind of gamer I am, I saw absolutely everything during my first play through: Did all the sidequests (Including the bullshit farming one), got all the weapons, killed the shit out of everything.

It's a fun game although there is very little imagination in the side quests, most of which are "Go here, get that" or "Go grind for these items". The actual story you could blaze through very quickly if you wanted, to get the subsequent endings you get dropped back in half way through the game and to romp through the last five bosses and final dungeon only takes about three hours, if that. Which is good as I don't know how arsed I am to play through again just to see ending C & D. I would say if you do play it you should definitely play for the second ending because on your second run you get a bit of extra story from the point of view of the bad guys and it puts a totally different spin on the story.

Achievement-wise, I definitely have better things to do than upgrade all the weapons and grow a Lunar Tear but if you have a stupidly high boredom threshold to get those two, the rest are pretty simple to get.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Sep 12, 2014, 04:52 AM Local time: Sep 12, 2014, 10:52 AM #92 of 102
Edit: Seen all four endings now. Ended up with 80% of the trophies. I got pretty much all the "Beat the boss in x minutes" ones just being in a hurry to finish, with a level 4 phoenix spear they aren't very tricky.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2014, 01:30 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2014, 07:30 PM #93 of 102
I just hit 100% in the 2013 version of Tomb Raider, didn't get al the achievements because lol, multiplayer achievements and I have better things to do than spend ages collecting loot to buy the last few gun upgrades seeing as how I've finished the game now.

It's a really good game though. There are a few head scratchers in there although it's not nearly as tough as Tomb Raider 1 and 2. Also there's very little actual tomb raiding, it would be nice if they'd set more of it indoors but I guess that's what sequels are for. Also the end section is more like Gears of War Raider but it's fun in its own little way. Shame the next one is a time XBone exclusive as I would probably buy it based on this effort.

Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:22 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2014, 04:22 PM #94 of 102
Today, in my ongoing quest to play all the free PSPlus games from the last 18 months, I finished Remember Me. It's a 3d punching game with climbing elements and gameplay-wise will win no prizes but god damn is it a pretty game. The post-apocalyptic world is really well realised and graphic style is nice.

It's a by the numbers punching game though with obligatory endless hidden pickups that do distract from the action a touch as they are hard to spot and it's easiest to just run round the outside of each area hammering the circle button in case you missed any.

Quite a short game, it took me about 12 hours I guess and not very difficult on normal mode. There are harder modes but I have too many other games to play to be bothered to play things twice. There is also an easy mode so even Paco can enjoy the fun.

Nothing too tricky in the achievement list. Lots of finding things you could rattle through with a guide if you cared enough and a couple of potentially tricky beat a boss with conditions ones but it probably wouldn't take too long to platinum this.

Worth a look if you got it free I'd say.

Most amazing jew boots
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:43 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2015, 06:43 PM 1 #95 of 102
Me again! This time I have finished Aliens: Colonial Marines and yes, it is as bad as everyone says. Possibly worse.

The graphics are PS2 standard, the animation is as limited as it is terrible, the AI is literally retarded, the story is dumb, there are more glitches than AC:Unity and frankly, Gearbox should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

The one redeeming feature is that the weapon sound effects come straight from the movie and even that is a bit stupid because the sound effect for the pulse rifle sounds like the short, controlled bursts the film was so famous for so even if you jam down the trigger and empty the entire 80 round clip in one go, it sounds like you are firing burst fire. Also when you get an upgrade that makes your rate of fire increase, the sound effect doesn't change.

Why did I bother finishing this you ask? I have no idea and even less idea why I felt the need to get all the hidden dog tags but I did and although I used a guide, they aren't too hard to find. You'll never get all the achievements though as some require online play and you'd have to be some kind of fucking weird masochist to put yourself through that, even if you could find anyone online to play against.

This is a huge, steaming dump of a game and not worth the £2 I paid for it. Easily the least fun I've ever had forcing myself to finish a game.

FELIPE NO
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:39 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2015, 06:39 PM #96 of 102
You people need to stop playing so much Mario Kart and finish some other games.

I finished Wolfenstein: The New Order on PS4 a couple of days ago. It's an FPS by ID so you know what you're getting yourself into. There is a tiny bit of character advancement and I guess technically there's a cover system but what this game is primarily about is gunning down Nazis. Lots and lots of Nazis.

You get a reasonable range of guns (Pistol, machine gun, shotgun, sniper, laser) and you can hold one in both hands should you wish (You should wish). You walk into a room, you blast the Nazis, you leave by the only door. Repeat a few hundred times and that's the game! There are some sneaky bits that you are entirely free to sprint through, guns blazing, alerting every single guard and basically nothing you could describe as a puzzle.

So it's not deep or clever but it is incredibly fucking entertaining. Sometimes you want to fiddle with gear and stats and sometimes you want to out-think the clever AI and use precision sniping to stealthily kill bad guys but on those occasions you want to run around with a machine gun in each hand spraying bullets at people swearing at you in German, this should be your go to game. It's a decent looking game although I can't imagine the PS4 version is stretching the capabilities of the console much and the sound is suitably teutonic.

There are hidden things to find if that's your thing and all kinds of ridiculous challenge modes (Uber difficulty, dying is permanent sort of ridiculous) so there's plenty of life in this game if you have a longer attention span than I have. I got quite a lot of the achievements playing through once on normal difficulty (There are two easier ones for Mexican gamers) so if anyone still cares about that kind of thing, the full set is probably pretty easy to get.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2015, 02:03 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2015, 07:03 PM 1 #97 of 102
You people need to stop playing so much Mario Kart and finish some other games.
You know amazingly enough it's possible to play Mario Kart and beat a whole host of games. I mean if you've only beaten one more game than since your previous post in January then I've really got nothing to worry about.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:21 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2015, 08:21 PM #98 of 102
Hahaha, I'm not sure how many computer games you can finish in a month is something you need to be worrying about either way mate.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2015, 11:50 PM 1 #99 of 102
Just finished Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. It was without a doubt, one of the best games Ubisoft has made. It's right up there with my favorite AC title, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. The music was awesome (one of their tracks they used War from Rocky IV, are you kidding me?!!), the cutscenes and dialogue were hilarious, and I didn't have any problems with UPlay or the game itself. It's a miracle!

Shorter than Watch Dogs, but a helluva lot more fun. I'd definitely recommend it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2015, 09:03 AM #100 of 102

Kirby Super Star.

So almost a year ago I went on a Kirby spree with Dream Land, then Adventure, and then Dream Land 2. I said Super Star was next, but unfortunately it's taken me a while to get to it.

I can definitely see how people can see it as their favorite Kirby of all time. Me? I thought it was pretty fun, but my favorite still goes to either Dream Land 1 or Adventure.

I really like how they separated it out into several different games/sections as to not make it feel like one long drawn out game. I will say, I thought Great Cave Offensive was probably my least favorite out of all of them due to it taking so long and my getting lost in it. How you might ask?

I was venturing through and then I fell from the sky and at the doorstep of a castle. A castle?! If Mario's taught me anything, a castle usually means the end of the level/stage (and in the case of the first Dream Land, the end of the game).

So I keep going through exits, getting dropped out other sections of the castle back to the beginning of it, and after about 30 minutes I'm starting to get frustrated that I haven't beaten it yet. So a quick trip to speeddemosarchive showed me that I don't even have to go to the castle at all, I'm supposed to go to the left to another trolley. Thanks for confusing me, game!

One thing that I really liked about this game is noticing some parts that later were used in the Smash Bros. series.

1. The boss with eyes, 4 leaves sticking in it's forehead and the rocky hand who's almost move for move like the Master Hand in Smash.

2. The save area's music in the Great Cave Offensive was used in the All-Star rest area of Melee.

3. Several of the powerups ended up becoming Kirby's moveset, even the physical attack ones when you had powers like the Sword.

Overall the game was still enjoyable, another good entry in the Super Nintendo catalog. I also liked the fact that I didn't have to go back and collect stuff I'd missed in previous levels to get the "true" ending *shakes fist at Dream Land 2*.

I think I may stop here with Kirby, but at some point I may try to tackle Dream Land 3, 64, or both.

Tags
popo.gif

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] The Game Review Thread - No Posts By Skills Because He Never Finishes His 10000 Games