Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computers get big again; table-sized in fact

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 04:07 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 03:07 PM #1 of 8
Computers get big again; table-sized in fact

... which turns out to be a very cool thing: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tdevice30.html

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 06:32 PM #2 of 8
This isn't a new idea. In fact, back in school my Professor who taught a couple of courses of CPEG (Computer Engineering) was one of the co-founders of Fingerworks. For those than haven't heard, Fingerworks was bought up by Apple for their touch-based technology which has found a home in the upcoming iPhone.

Seven years ago, he had already envisioned a table-surface with the interface projected onto it. The surface could be context-sensitive adapting to where a person rested their hands upon it, or even with different objects placed upon it.

I've already seen demonstration videos of such a device, allowing for audio data to be maniupulated by placing filter 'cubes' on a surface and using their spatial orientation combined with movements of the fingers to link these filters together and adjust their properties.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
---
Garret
Smile on my face

Member 14246

Level 8.68

Oct 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:17 AM #3 of 8
http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matn...eport_wpeE.jpg

This is what came to my mind after originally reading the article.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2007, 02:37 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2007, 01:37 PM #4 of 8
This isn't a new idea.
Someone probably had this idea before microcomputers were even invented. If anyone can implement this on a wide-spread basis though, it's MS.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2007, 01:45 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2007, 01:45 PM 1 #5 of 8
More like:

Someone probably had this idea before microcomputers were even invented. If anyone can blue screen this on a wide-spread basis though, it's MS.

I was speaking idiomatically.
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
ctu
...and... loving it

Member 439

Level 19.07

Mar 2006

Old Jun 4, 2007, 02:16 PM #6 of 8
When I first heard about this I was thinking I saw this idea on the movie Tron cool idea...It is just way to expensive for me

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)(\__/)(\__/)(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)( ='.'=)
(")-(")(")-(")(")-(") (")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")(")-(")
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jun 14, 2007, 02:30 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2007, 07:30 PM #7 of 8
I see the potential, but the example videos I've seen look like some idiot proofed software like you find in museum presentation computers, not to mention the precision of the human hand is questionable as a pointing device. Then again that's where a stylus pen would come in I guess as needed or maybe even brush stroke recognition in the far off future. Reality and fictions line between them is soon to get blurred even more methinks...

FELIPE NO
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2007, 05:01 PM #8 of 8
Well, the videos on there seem to be for a more commercial implementation of this rather than something to replace home PCs. Idiot-proof software is needed, especially in retail.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computers get big again; table-sized in fact