Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] 2007 Emmys

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 05:57 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 03:57 PM #1 of 15
2007 Emmys

The 2007 Emmy nominations were announced today:

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-59th-annual-...41371/nominees

Quote:
Outstanding Drama Series

* Boston Legal ABC
* Grey's Anatomy ABC
* Heroes NBC
* House Fox
* The Sopranos HBO

Outstanding Comedy Series

* 30 Rock NBC
* Entourage HBO
* The Office NBC
* Two and a Half Men CBS
* Ugly Betty ABC

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series

* Denis Leary - Rescue Me FX
* Hugh Laurie - House Fox
* James Gandolfini - The Sopranos HBO
* James Spader - Boston Legal ABC
* Kiefer Sutherland - 24 Fox

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

* Edie Falco - The Sopranos HBO
* Kyra Sedgwick - The Closer TNT
* Mariska Hargitay - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit NBC
* Minnie Driver - The Riches FX
* Patricia Arquette - Medium
* Sally Field - Brothers & Sisters ABC

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

* Alec Baldwin - 30 Rock NBC
* Charlie Sheen - Two and a Half Men CBS
* Ricky Gervais - Extras HBO
* Steve Carrell - The Office NBC
* Tony Shalhoub - Monk USA

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

* America Ferrera - Ugly Betty ABC
* Felicity Huffman - Desperate Housewives ABC
* Julia Louis-Dreyfus - The New Adventures of Old Christine CBS
* Mary-Louise Parker - Weeds Showtime
* Tina Fey - 30 Rock NBC
Nothing too surprising. I'm a little disappointed that Lauren Graham was left off the nominees list yet again. The final 3 actresses in the drama category are all kind of ho-hum to me. I remember hearing that they always submitted her/other Gilmore Girls people in the comedy category, but that it was never seriously considered because it was an hour show. But now comes up Ugly Betty and that gets excepted. Don't really get it.

I also think it's a little odd that Michael C. Hall didn't get nominated for Dexter, but if Hugh Laurie doesn't win, it isn't worth paying attention to anyway.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 05:54 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 05:54 PM #2 of 15
I'm kinda pulling for Dennis Leary. I mean, he's gone time after time trying to get a show of his to take off, and finally it seems Rescue Me is a huge hit.

In terms of tenacity I mean this guy has taken a bunch of hits. Just be nice to see the underdog get it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2007, 06:38 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2007, 06:38 PM #3 of 15
Better chance Grail, since I don't think Kiefer deserves it this year even though he was good as always, but the season was not as good as evident at the lack of drama nom.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:22 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 12:22 AM #4 of 15
Heroes should totally win the Drama nod, but I wouldn't be surprised if something crappy like Grey's Anatomy wins. Or House, which I consider more of a comedy series than a drama, honestly.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 01:34 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2007, 01:34 AM #5 of 15
Is that series equal to or better then Unbreakable, because if so, I will watch it then soon.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2007, 06:19 AM #6 of 15
No nominations for Dexter? Psh, the Emmys are just as bad as all the other award shows.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:40 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2007, 11:40 PM #7 of 15
Totally bizarre awards.

Quote:
Best Drama - The Sopranos
Best Comedy - 30 Rock
Best Drama Actor - James Spader, Boston Legal
Best Drama Actress - Sally Field, Brothers and Sisters
Best Comedy Actor - Ricky Gervais, Extras
Best Comedy Actress - America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Best Drama Supporting Actor - Terry O'Quinn, Lost
Best Drama Supporting Actress - Katherine Heigl, Grey's Anatomy
Best Comedy Supporting Actor - Jeremy Piven, Entourage
Best Comedy Supporting Actress - Jaime Pressly, My Name Is Earl
Best Reality Show - The Amazing Race
I'm fine with The Sopranos winning, even though House is the best show on TV right now. But James Spader?? No wonder he was astonished. I mean, you either go with James Gandolfini and give him one final Emmy or you give it to Hugh Laurie, who puts on one of the best performances in going through one of the biggest transformations.

Ugly Betty won best actress and best director, but lost to 30 Rock, which won no other awards? I mean, I don't like Ugly Betty, but it should have topped 30 Rock if The Office didn't.

I wonder how many people voting for Sally Field or Ricky Gervais actually watched those shows. I've been told Extras is good, but I've never seen it and neither have most of the people I know. And no one watches Brothers and Sisters.

Also, who on Earth who watches both shows would continue voting for The Amazing Race over Project Runway?

FELIPE NO
and Brandy does her best to understand
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:48 AM Local time: Sep 17, 2007, 01:48 AM #8 of 15
I don't watch most of the shows that were nominated and/or won. However, I just would like to mention that I wish they would nominate TV shows on other networks more often like the WB for one.

Someone of the likes of John Glover as supporting actor on Smallville, who is always brilliant, never gets any recognition. Or even Micheal Rosebaum.

Kind of like what BM said about Gilmore Girls before.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:47 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2007, 11:47 PM #9 of 15
I agree on James Spader winning. Very bizarre. I was floored that if Gandolfini wasn't honored with a curtain call, I thought Laurie would have been a shoe in. Christ, that was a blunder. I have to give Spader props for the acceptance speech, he was the least awkward he could be trying to be gracious about the whole thing.

However, I can assure you that Extras is fantastic, albeit a quarter of it will be lost on not British viewers unless they're very versed in across the pond pop culture. For example, the Les Dennis episode only became hilarious to me after I finally deducted that him being famous from "Family Fortunes" meant he was the host of the British version of Family Feud. Each of the two seasons were only six episodes, and I'd really recommend renting the dvds. There's not a lousy episode among the twelve and it contains some hilarious stuff. And Ricky Gervais is great in it, but probably not the most deserved to win the award still. Probably more a nod to the show itself.

30 Rock won best comedy because it's obtained Arrested Development status as a show no one is watching but critics and the industry wants to cram down your neck as the next big thing. Expect to see heavy promotion of the show with their emmy plastered all over. I'm not that mad about it. It's a pretty sharp show, not always brilliant, but often good. And I hate Ugly Betty from what I've seen of it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:03 PM #10 of 15
Ugly Betty is a show that grows on you. It's basically "The Devil Wears Prada" as a weekly show, but it's got considerably more charm. America Ferrara is decent in the lead role, and to be honest, I'm glad she won since everyone else that was nominated in her category is either deplorably overrated or has already won - for some, both.

Spader's win is a joke. For what it's worth, Hugh Laurie should've won hands down, even with The Sopranos making its swan song. Laurie speaks with an American accent and portrays a crabby jerk, two things that go against his natural grain; that is acting, folks. I'd like to see Denis Leary win one of these times, but the pragmatist in me can't foresee this happening. He plays a good asshole, but when you get down to brass tacks, it's not acting, it's being Denis Leary. Typecasting like that shouldn't be given gold statues.

30 Rock is an absolutely abysmal show. It is a shallow, transparent excuse for NBC to shill its better programming, under the pretense of self-deprecating, tongue-in-cheek humor. It doesn't work, it's not funny, the cast is godawful, and there's a damned good reason nobody is watching. It's a comedy graveyard for the worthless hacks that think they're suddenly too good for Saturday Night Live. Alec Baldwin's stock plummets further with each episode.

The award that irritated me most was Best Supporting Actor in a Drama. The award clearly belonged to Masi Oka. I'm admittedly a Heroes junkie, so there's some bias, but here's a guy who's trained in improv comedy, thrust into a dramatic role. Yes, Oka's character is a bit of comic relief, but it has to be delivered in earnest. Oka plays the role of comic-geek cum superhero with the kind of genuinity that feels precisely natural. What's more, Oka has to be believable in two fucking languages. He acts in both Japanese and English. That takes chops. Terry O'Quinn plays a creepy old guy. Big fucking deal.

Heroes had better win something next year. I expected The Sopranos to hog the spotlight this time. Next year, it's wide open and seriously, do people still watch Lost?

Also, Conan O'Brian over The Colbert Report? WTF? Conan's amusing, but Colbert is absolutely hysterical.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:17 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2007, 08:17 PM #11 of 15
And no one watches Brothers and Sisters.
I do. I don't agree on the award going to Sally Field, though. Edie Falco is fantastic, even with how boring The Sopranos got after the first episode.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:45 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2007, 12:45 PM #12 of 15
Heroes had better win something next year. I expected The Sopranos to hog the spotlight this time. Next year, it's wide open and seriously, do people still watch Lost?
I still like Lost. Last season was quite good.

I know I'm guessing based on no evidence whatsoever, but if I had to make any predictions about any wins, or at least nominations, for next year for Heroes, it'd be Kristen Bell. Veronica Mars never got its due despite her getting rave reviews every which way, and now that she's on one of the biggest shows on TV, I think she'll get noticed.

I also bet Battlestar Galactica will take a spot under Best Drama next year.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
and Brandy does her best to understand
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:35 PM Local time: Sep 17, 2007, 05:35 PM #13 of 15
I also bet Battlestar Galactica will take a spot under Best Drama next year.
If they can keep up the quality of this past season, with the Sopranos juggernaut out of the picture and no "great" new dramas on the horizon for the new season, Galactica has a decent chance in my opinion.

Spader's win is a joke. For what it's worth, Hugh Laurie should've won hands down.
I enjoy Spader's performance, but you've hit the nail on the head about "acting." I would bet that Spader merely shows up and acts natural, while Laurie is truly acting...

30 Rock is an absolutely abysmal show. It is a shallow, transparent excuse for NBC to shill its better programming, under the pretense of self-deprecating, tongue-in-cheek humor. It doesn't work, it's not funny, the cast is godawful, and there's a damned good reason nobody is watching. It's a comedy graveyard for the worthless hacks that think they're suddenly too good for Saturday Night Live. Alec Baldwin's stock plummets further with each episode.
You know what was great though? Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. A bit weird, that 2 shows based on exactly the same premise, would start in the same season and compete against each other. They obviously cancelled the wrong show: the writing in S60otSS (yay acronyms!) was as good as anything in House, Battlestar Galactica, or Heroes.

Terry O'Quinn plays a creepy old guy. Big fucking deal.
Except for the fact that this award is a year late in coming for O'Quinn, I agree with you about Heroes' time-traveller...

I enjoyed Heigel winning for supporting actress. You know your show is good when three of the nominess for best supporting actress are from your show...

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by speculative; Sep 17, 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] 2007 Emmys