Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Blizzard to start new RTS project?

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:29 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 10:29 PM #1 of 34
Blizzard to start new RTS project?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155152.html

Apparently so. According to the article, Blizzard's looking to hire level designers familiar with 3D real-time strategy in mind, listing Rise of Legends, Command and Conquer, and (duh) Warcraft III as examples. So obviously, this could be Starcraft II, Warcraft IV (although doubtfully, considering that there's enough Warcraft right now to go around the world), or a new project, which is unlikely considering the fanbase that would pay for Starcraft II.

Thoughts?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:53 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 08:53 PM #2 of 34
I wouldn't trust these job hirings as job announcements, since nothing came of the Diablo job application speculation.

Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing Starcraft 2 being announced anytime soon.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:12 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 11:12 PM #3 of 34
I think they might have stuff on the backburner until they have had their fill of running money out of WoW. Which won't be soon

Oh, Jag. Might want to change the first line in your signature -- Rogue Galaxy isn't coming October anymore ;_;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:31 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 09:31 PM #4 of 34
How about they finish Starcraft Ghost first before starting a whole other project.

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:57 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 12:57 AM #5 of 34
Gech, yeah I know it isn't. I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. I'll probably go back to my old ava/sig...right now, actually.

I doubt they're gonna finish Ghost. Ever. It was an interesting take on Starcraft though, for sure.

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:55 AM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 06:55 AM #6 of 34
I thought Starcraft Ghost was cancelled.

As for job opening announcements, it takes time to fill the position and then {in Blizzard's case, a lot of} time to produce some portion of product to show in a game announcement and further {in Blizzard's case, excruciatingly long} time to actually complete the project. Who knows what's going on inside those walls right now.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:11 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 05:11 PM #7 of 34
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155203.html

It just may be. According to this article, Blizzard's now shifting their strategy by moving their developers from consoles back (?) to the PC. No World of Warcraft on my PS3?

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:20 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 05:20 PM #8 of 34
Oooh. Fantastic news. I prefer for Bliz to focus itself on PC stuff. As opposed to waste time on console crap >_> Updates, add-ons, expansions, etc. Plus they won't spend quite so much time making a game work on multiple consoles or anything of the sort.

Fantastic news to *me* at least =d

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:01 PM #9 of 34
Get started on Starcraft 2, fuckers! If you keep waiting any longer, I'll set fire to your corporate HQ. Same if you ever delay the game. And if it's not absolutely perfect when it gets released, then I will burn down your HQ AND murder the extended family of each and every single one of your employees.

What? Fans are supposed to be demanding. It's part of the job. It helps the developers have an idea of what people want, or something like that. I think the technical term is "constructive criticism".

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:59 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 10:59 PM #10 of 34
Or "constructive terrorism" as per your case. But see, you are the physical manifestation of (likely) why Blizzard hasn't started on Starcraft 2 yet. I think developers need room for error, but this game's fanbase is a fair bit out of control, and anything less than a quadruple-A title will be ravaged by angry hate-mail, criticisms and denouncements from fans, and downright shunning of the game...

...even with the massive sales it'd generate. But honestly, I think Blizzard's the type of company who, even if the game breaks sales records, they'd be ashamed if their fans didn't approve of it.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
amhso
Carob Nut

Member 1725

Level 4.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:05 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 09:05 PM #11 of 34
starcraft ghost was an OLD OLD OLD project. wasn't it originally for n64 in the first place, then for ps2...then now ps3? so now they're probably going to shove it into PC. Diablo III is in production supposedly as well right?

i liked blizzards original games. diablo I sucked though.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:11 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 11:11 PM #12 of 34
I don't think Starcraft: Ghost was ever a Nintendo 64 project. There were complaints that Ghost on the PS2 looked an awful lot like it was created for the 64 though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Rybanis
man what

Member 10437

Level 2.50

Jul 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:45 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 08:45 PM #13 of 34
Originally Posted by SouthJag
I don't think Starcraft: Ghost was ever a Nintendo 64 project. There were complaints that Ghost on the PS2 looked an awful lot like it was created for the 64 though.
Ghost probably won't ever make it out. Look at Warcraft Adventures (I wonder how my people were old enough to remember that!). The game was about 80 percent complete when they canceled it, though many elements like the story were eventually incorperated into Warcraft 3/WoW.

I would not mind SC2 or (OH GOD PLEASE) Diablo 3 ( I consider Diablo 2 to be the best game ever).

I was speaking idiomatically.
OH MAN SIG CLUB
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:26 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 12:26 AM #14 of 34
Ghost was a PC port to console. They scrapped it for work on Next-Gen consoles and mysterious PC projects that we all hope is a Starcraft II. I say anyone who played WoW for more than 2 months should be banned from SC2.

Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 01:27 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 04:27 PM #15 of 34
Quote:
Fans are supposed to be demanding. It's part of the job. It helps the developers have an idea of what people want, or something like that.
Bethesda took daily earfuls from fans most of the way through developing Oblicion and look how that turned out.

Developers should be left to their own devices and imaginations when creating a game. The only market research they should do, or should be entitled to, are sales figures.

FELIPE NO
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 04:57 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 04:57 AM #16 of 34
Starcraft: GHOST is officially vaporware. Scrapped because development was taking too long, and Blizzard came across much more, erm, lucrative projects.

Blizzard tends to work on games internally for at least a year, if not longer, before anything becomes known to the public about them. I'd venture to bet they're pretty far along in development of both Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 by now.

I mean, they'd be idiots of they weren't. Don't think too had about this, guys.

amhso
Carob Nut

Member 1725

Level 4.94

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:47 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2006, 10:47 AM #17 of 34
Diablo III is supposed to finally use real graphics instead of sprites and textures too. SC2 is a must for them, there are too many people wanting/waiting for it to happen.

too bad im grounded for pretty much forever. or i'd be swallowing these games into my system.

How ya doing, buddy?
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 09:35 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2006, 05:35 AM #18 of 34
Sad to say this, but Starcraft 2 is NEVER gonna happen, from what i've heard there're legal issues that prevent them from using any of the races used in SC, especially the space marines (Terrans, were they?) and the whole setting was in question for being a "stolen idea" .

I have no proof for this nor do i remember my source, but i trust that it's a very viable explanation considering that they had no problem making sequels for Warcraft and that the word online is that most people consider SC to be the best RTS game ever. They would be insane not to make one unless there was some really big reason behind it, legal issues qualify as a logical reason IMO.

CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 02:49 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2006, 10:49 AM #19 of 34
Yeah Nachos i thought so too, but i do remember reading it.

Think of it this way : The Terrans are just Warhammer's Space Marines, those were already present with the exact styles, in the tabletop game of Warhammer 40K..

I'll quote Wikipedia just to show you the influences might actually suggest the possibility of law-defying similarity:

"Terran Marines were clearly inspired by Aliens USCM Marines; both the Terran Marine and the Terran Dropship units in StarCraft directly quote characters from the movie."

Directly quoting is enough to stir up legal mumbo jumbo IMO, and turn attention to the other smaller details, where in a company would even add suing you for having eyes for your characters. Hey as long is it might sap some money it's possible, don't say it ain't.

"The Terran Marines and Firebats are nearly identical in appearance to Warhammer 40,000's Space Marines. "
"he Zerg and their infestation process resemble Aliens' Xenomorphs and Warhammer 40 000's Tyranids."
"The Protoss technology and story concept is very similar to those of the Eldar in Warhammer 40,000"

I think that somewhat displays the possible grounds for some legal bullshit, QED, bitch.. Hahahaha..Man i always wanted to say that..

Seriously though it's still possible, don't forget WH40K got turned into an RTS, fighting Blizzard to avoid being called a Starcraft clone is enough reason to jump up their ass about copyright, i know i would do it.

I know Wiki ain't the most reliable source, but do a quick check, it's all true.

*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 04:42 AM #20 of 34
I think a Starcraft 2 from Blizzard would put them over the top. They have MMORPG's by the balls right now, and they could just as easily do the same with RTS.

They could just as easily concentrate on theyre precious WoW and still put out another StarCraft.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:42 AM Local time: Aug 13, 2006, 10:42 AM #21 of 34
I wouldn't be surprised if StarCraft 2's been in development for a pretty long time now. There are have been various signs here and there over the years and this is just another one.

I doubt we'll get an announcement any time soon though, as I expect them to announce Diablo 3 first and put all their marketing behind that one.

I was speaking idiomatically.
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2006, 05:14 PM #22 of 34
I dont think diablo 3 is gonna happen till diablo 2 starts to show an extreme decline in players. Starcraft has lost alot of people over time, while diablo 2 is still a rather popular game.

Only way I can see them releasing diablo 3 earlier then SC2 is if they make it a pay to play MMORPG.

devildante
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 15779

Level 1.34

Nov 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:40 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2006, 01:40 AM #23 of 34
the ceo of blizzard said they will announce 3 new working titles news year. i hope starcraft 2 and diablo3 would be among them. it would be perfect if the third will be warcraft4. i like warcraft as rts more.

i like wow, but have no time playing it and it doesn't really continues the storyline.

FELIPE NO
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:56 PM #24 of 34
lmfao RO avatar.

Anyways, StarCraft 2 will kill all Korean pros =O since they will have to get used to new animation and shit.

Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2006, 08:07 PM #25 of 34
Starcraft 2 is best bet for what they are working on, all that nonsense about SC infringing on other's idea is totally ridiculous, if what is said is true then probably well over half of the industry would get caught up in some kind of legal litigation for infringing on some element of another game/franchise. You don't see Tolkien's estate suing people left and right because their "elves" strike a resemblance to the elves from LotR (assuming Tolkien really was the first to come up with the idea of the high fantasy elves we have today).

Diablo 3, this version of Diablo maybe a little different, why? to the best of my knowledge most of the minds behind Diablo are now at Flagship studios working on Hellgate: London. At the same time it would make sense for them then to look for more talent to work on the game. But does Blizzard really need to put out another RPG at this moment?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] Blizzard to start new RTS project?