Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What food does your home town specialize in?

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:36 AM #1 of 61
What food does your home town specialize in?

Most cities have some type(s) of food they are known for and even some that fly under the radar that they make really well. Philly is known for cheesesteaks, Buffalo for wings, etc.

Philly my home town is king of sandwiches. Whether its a cheesesteak, a hoagie, or whatever, Philly has great sandwich places. Also Philly is known for soft pretzels, water ice, Tastykake, and a few other small things.

I thought it would be good to talk in this thread about foods you've tried from other cities as well. I've had a gyro in NY and it was very good. I've always wanted to try wings from Buffalo. Philly has some good wing places, but I'm sure the places in Buffalo destroy all others. I like wings a lot, so I always wanted to try wings from there.

Also I'm curious to see what people who live in smaller towns have to say about what kind of good foods they have.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:35 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 01:35 AM #2 of 61
I ate at Geno's the other week and was severely disappointed. They put hardly any cheese on the sandwich and the bun was soggy. There's a place in my town that makes them shitloads better than what I had down there (my town being about 30 miles north of Philly).

How ya doing, buddy?
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 03:57 AM #3 of 61
Geno's is a tourist spot. Tony Luke's is where it's at. It's 20 times better than Geno's. Next time you are around stop there. Best steaks in town.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 08:23 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 08:23 AM #4 of 61
Originally Posted by DragoonKain
Philly my home town is king of sandwiches. Whether its a cheesesteak, a hoagie, or whatever, Philly has great sandwich places. Also Philly is known for soft pretzels, water ice, Tastykake, and a few other small things.
DragoonKain is right. Once you have a real Philly cheesesteak, you'll find it is nearly impossible to duplicate it elsewhere.

My hometown of Chicago has the biggest competition for deep dish pizza. I personally like Gullivers much more than Lou Malnatis, because in comparison, Lou's crust tastes like cardboard. As far as an overall good deep dish pizza, I really like Giordannos, especially for their 1/2 off Monday nights.

Chicago style hot dogs are also a big deal. A real vienna hotdog, mustard, relish, diced onions, tomatoes, quarter slice pickle, hot peppers, and Lawry's seasoning salt. Once ketchup is added, it is no longer a real Chicago style hotdog. My New York friends will argue that their hot dog is better because of the price, but who cares about the price when it is ultimately the taste that counts the most.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 09:10 AM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 08:10 AM #5 of 61
I live in Iowa, so we don't have much of anything for food, unless you like pork and corn. I know a few guys online who say "iowa? Is that the one with the potatoes" and i at that. come on! corn! Pretty much everything you eat has some kind of corn in it, wether it's cow fed with corn to corn syrup, etc, etc.

I was speaking idiomatically.
ava lilly
not a lily

Member 307

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 01:37 PM #6 of 61
I certainly don't live in a huge city, but if I had to try and figure out what my little town was known for food-wise I suppose it would have to be apples. we have a huge applefest every year, close off the entire downtown area and turn the street into a big market place. obviously, lots of apple related food is abundant.

we also have a maplefest, which is essentially the same thing but with lots of maple syrup. then again, canada itself is known for maple syrup so not much of a surprise there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 02:45 PM #7 of 61
Originally Posted by Fatt
DragoonKain is right. Once you have a real Philly cheesesteak, you'll find it is nearly impossible to duplicate it elsewhere.

My hometown of Chicago has the biggest competition for deep dish pizza. I personally like Gullivers much more than Lou Malnatis, because in comparison, Lou's crust tastes like cardboard. As far as an overall good deep dish pizza, I really like Giordannos, especially for their 1/2 off Monday nights.

Chicago style hot dogs are also a big deal. A real vienna hotdog, mustard, relish, diced onions, tomatoes, quarter slice pickle, hot peppers, and Lawry's seasoning salt. Once ketchup is added, it is no longer a real Chicago style hotdog. My New York friends will argue that their hot dog is better because of the price, but who cares about the price when it is ultimately the taste that counts the most.
I always wanted to try deep dish pizza from chicago. Also I've never been a big hot dog guy, but I've heard Chicago has great dogs. I heard they pile peppers and onions all on it. Sounds good.

FELIPE NO
Fatt

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:16 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 06:16 PM #8 of 61
Originally Posted by ComradeTande
I live in Iowa, so we don't have much of anything for food, unless you like pork and corn. I know a few guys online who say "iowa? Is that the one with the potatoes" and i at that. come on! corn! Pretty much everything you eat has some kind of corn in it, wether it's cow fed with corn to corn syrup, etc, etc.
Iowa corn? Ooooh it's all about the Illinois soy suckas!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Adara
Simplicity

Member 108

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Jul 2, 2006, 05:47 PM #9 of 61
Mexican food. Definitely Mexican food. There aren't many restaurants in my town, but the majority of them are Mexican. A close second would be country food (that's what the other restaurants are). There's a great little homegrown country cookin' place where I live and it's definitely some of the best comfort food that I've ever tasted.

acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 02:13 AM #10 of 61
While the city itself is not famous for anything, the province in famous for it's beef. There is really nothing like Alberta beef. If you can get your hands on some (and you probably can't), I highly suggest it. Beats inferior other Canadian and American beef.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:01 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 04:01 AM #11 of 61
I would say my town isn't really known for any particular style of food in terms of multiple restaurants, but it is one of the few places I'm aware of where Portuguese food is readily available in a few locations. That, coupled with the religious Festa events/sopas feeds, and you can kind of tell that there's a subtle emphasis on Portuguese foods. A few of the restaurants in the area offer mostly 'normal' food, but then you'll find funny little additions like Sopas on certain days, or Portuguese beans offered as a side dish. Or Sweet bread -- although that can also be Hawaiian, to be fair.

I don't think we're really known for it, though. Only the people in the know are looking for it .

Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:58 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 05:58 AM #12 of 61
Texas in general specializes in two types of food, namely barbecue and Mexican. Different cities and parts of the state specialize in one or the other; San Antonio leaning more towards Mexican, Dallas-Fort Worth more towards barbecue. Houston, being between them, is superior in that we get large numbers of both.

Other things that are about and could be specialties include Vietnamese cuisine (dominated by Kim Son) and a disturbingly diverse selection of seafood restaurants (several of them are owned by Landry's Restaurants, though).

While hardly a specialty, per se, there are two fairly local pizza places that I would cheerfully reccommend if that's what floats your boat. One, Double Dave's, can be found statewide, while the other, Candelari's, is a purely Houston chain. There was a third I liked, Fuzzy's, but its quality has dipped in recent years.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 07:08 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 08:08 PM #13 of 61
So this one time a Ballerina came to Perth and so this chef invented a dessert for her. Her name was Anna Pavlova so it's called Pavlova.

It tastes like what you would expect something named after a ballerina to taste like. Heaven

Spoiler:
New Zealanders will probably lie to your face about this, claiming to have invented it themselves. Just remember that these people are fucking idiots, Elixir a prime example.

Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 08:50 AM #14 of 61
It's not exactly IN my hometown, but it's really close. There's a place called Tony's Ice Cream that has been featured in all kinds of magazines and television shows. It was built in 1947 and it still has the original red booths and stainless steel counters. They serve the most amazing grape ice cream, and that's saying something since I don't like sweets.

It looks like a dive because it's so old, but believe me, this place is hoppin'.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Alice; Jul 3, 2006 at 08:59 AM.
Fatt

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 09:32 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 09:32 AM #15 of 61
Oddly enough, it does look familiar. I wish I could remember the movie I have seen it in.

FELIPE NO
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:46 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 11:46 AM #16 of 61
As typical as this may sound for an Atlantic Canadian, I would say Lobster. Perhaps not so much in town, as there are towns which are much more Lobster-centric closeby, but it is definitely what we are known for.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
IdleChill
The IceGator

Member 60

Level 20.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:40 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 05:40 PM #17 of 61
Well, cajun food which would be mostly seafood stuff (crawfish, fish, oysters, crabs, shrimp). There's gumbos, etouffées, jambalayas.

As far as any one restraunt goes, there are crap loads in Acadiana. However, this one sticks out...

http://www.prejeans.com/index.html

lollin'

The place has a live webcam feed. Heh...

http://70.159.138.67/view/index.shtml

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:03 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 04:03 PM #18 of 61
My town right now...crap...I swear..there are so many mexican restaurants...but they're all amercian style crap...>< I hate it...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 07:33 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 01:33 AM #19 of 61
Glasgow deep fried mars bar (Mars bar in batter)? It's probably more of a widespread Scottish food and it's indication of the levels of health around here. I have never come across it but I remember how one shop which served it stopped it because it was too unhealthy. Don't know if Glasgow has actually come up with something proper.

Oni Koroshi
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9285

Level 1.60

Jul 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 07:57 PM #20 of 61
Originally Posted by electric_eye
Glasgow deep fried mars bar (Mars bar in batter)? It's probably more of a widespread Scottish food and it's indication of the levels of health around here. I have never come across it but I remember how one shop which served it stopped it because it was too unhealthy. Don't know if Glasgow has actually come up with something proper.
That sounds absolutely delicious... I must have one at once!

A little off topic, but I very strongly agree with your username.

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 08:06 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 07:06 PM #21 of 61
Originally Posted by electric_eye
This isn't a Glasgow thing. We've had these at fairs for years.

electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 08:13 PM Local time: Jul 4, 2006, 02:13 AM #22 of 61
More of a Scottish thing perhaps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_fried_Mars_bar

I admit I must have misunderstood the thread.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by electric_eye; Jul 4, 2006 at 01:22 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 09:03 PM #23 of 61
I think deep frying stuff like that has actually been popular in the American south for a while now, though I've got no clue if it predates the wikipedia article you're talking about. Every time I think about it I want to try a deep fried Twinkie, though.

FELIPE NO
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:18 PM #24 of 61
This place around here deep fries mac and cheese. I don't like mac and cheese, so I wouldn't like it, but people love it.

This BBQ joint Tommy Gunn's has it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:22 AM #25 of 61
We're known for seafood, mainly crabs. Since there's water nearby in most parts, it seems that every other restaurant here has some type of seafood dish in it. I have to admit, the one place I do go to, they do a wonderful job with seafood.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > What food does your home town specialize in?