Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: What kind of controller do you prefer?
Wired 19 57.58%
Wireless 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

[General Discussion] Controllers: Wired or Wireless?

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:26 PM #1 of 36
Controllers: Wired or Wireless?

I was just wondering what the preference of controllers was for GFFers. Do you prefer regular, wired controllers that connect to the console, or wireless ones that are connected wirelessly to the console by a port?

I prefer wired controllers, mainly because I always sit kinda close to the TV anyway, and I don't like dealing with the batteries (rechargable or otherwise) of wireless controllers. I actually have a general aversion to most things wireless anyway, and while I'll still use them (like the wireless mouse we have at home), I would much prefer to have something wired in hand.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:32 PM #2 of 36
I'd have to say wired controllers if only for the almost unnoticable different between playing Super Smash Bros. Melee with a wired controller and an wireless one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:33 PM #3 of 36
Wired. I don't feel like wasting batteries just to play a game. Either way, i'm usually not very far from the TV anyway. Half the time i'm trying to sneak it, so playing close is a must.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:33 PM #4 of 36
I'd prefer wireless, unfortunately it's hard to get the wireless "formula" correct:
1. Batteries: If so, which size? Did the controller come with some? How quickly does the controller sap them?
2. Internal battery pack: How long must the controller be charged? How fast does the controller sap it? What does the charger look like? Is it cumbersome or quite simple?
3. Weight: Is the weight of these batteries causing me grief?
4. Ergonomics: Is the shape of the controller causing me grief? (Generally bad ergonomics is based on the poor placement of a batter pack
5. Range: Does it seem like the controller is controlling where I sit?
6. Price: Nope, don't want to pay $40 for something that isn't even a game.
7. (Only applies to computers): What kind of device do I have to have hanging out my USB port to use this thing? Is it clunky, or so lightweight it won't stay in place?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:45 PM #5 of 36
I personally prefer wired controllers because when I get mad enough at a game, I can wrap the cord around the nearest person's neck. But seriously, I really do prefer wired ones because I'm used to them. I've grown up with them so I'm kinda scared to deviate from the norm.

How ya doing, buddy?
Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:54 PM #6 of 36
Wireless controllers are better, I've been using them for years. Every controller I use for every system is wireless, including my mouse & keyboard. As for batteries, I have rechargable ones. All of my wireless controllers uses 2 AA batteries, so I just keep 2 rechargable batteries in my controllers and 2 in the charger, and I always keep it plugged so everytime need new batteries, I put the discharged batteries into the charger, and swap them with the charged ones, it takes ten seconds. Most of my controller last through 50 hours of gameplay or more on videogames, so I barely have to switch those batteries, my mouse drains the batteries quick though, I usually switch them out once a week. But again, it only takes 10 seconds or less. And I've been using the same batteries for at least 2 years.

I guess wired controllers are fine if you have a small tv with the console close to it, while you sit real close. But for me, I used to have a big screen tv, with my consoles on top of it, not only would I have had to have extension cords for all of them, I would have the wires in the way of the screen. Now I have a projector blazing a 120" image, so I sit far back, and I have my consoles behind me, I couldn't imagine going back to wired controllers.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dyne
fu.ture

Member 675

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:09 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:09 PM #7 of 36
Wired, unless it's a Wavebird. Wavebirds are so incredibly hot.

FELIPE NO

Always leave important items in your back pocket.

Dyne // Level 135
FOnewearl // Viridia
Madam's Umbrella // Chao

fgamer
Ai Shinosaki

Member 214

Level 4.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:32 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:32 PM #8 of 36
Both have their pro and cons, but I prefer wired controller basically because I hate to play a game then suddenly run out of batteries and don't have any.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

She is so pretty!!!
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:34 AM #9 of 36
Wireless, but only if they're wavebirds... Nothing even comes close.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:03 AM #10 of 36
Originally Posted by sprouticus
Wireless, but only if they're wavebirds... Nothing even comes close.
Logitech's Wireless Action smacks that bitch in the face and says hi.

Personally, I'd take either one when done right even though there are very few wireless controllers that do so.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:15 AM #11 of 36
I've never had a wireless controller but I have a wireless keyboard and mouse. The key board uses a battery and like never runs out ever. The mouses recharge lasts for a really long time so there are basically no cons.

[/RIGHT]
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:15 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:15 PM #12 of 36
I have both but use mainly wired controllers. I don't have a problem with either, but I found wireless controllers more convenient when having visitors over to play games.

Most amazing jew boots
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:23 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 08:23 PM #13 of 36
I prefer wireless alot more now (I'm talking about the wavebird.) My room gets packed with wires and controllers real quick so it was almost a god send whenever I have friends over.
But for everything else, I would much prefer a wired controller!

edit: but I voted for wired since I do use them far more often, my gamcube being the only exception =p.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kairyu; Mar 5, 2006 at 01:28 AM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:25 AM #14 of 36
Since there is no option for Don't Care, I voted Wired, because I never actually held a wireless controller before. However, if I did, I would probably like it, but not that much better.

EDIT: I want to change my vote to Wireless. I forgot about the godspokking TANGLES. I actually got 9 controllers to get tangled up within each other one time. It was annoying as all hell.

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Mar 5, 2006 at 01:28 AM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:50 AM #15 of 36
I'd be all over a good wireless Dual Shock 2 controller or a wireless SNES-style Hori pad.

FELIPE NO
Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 01:57 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 03:57 AM #16 of 36
With the wireless Xbox 360 controller, Microsoft got the formula down perfectly. The controller fits well in my hand, is sturdy, and looks damn nice next to a set of remote controllers on the coffee table. Unfortunately, Microsoft has failed in two major areas, price, and compatibility.
The controller already carries a heafty price tag, and with the addition of the Play-and-charge kit, a few more dollars are tacked on to the price.
I love the controller for the Xbox, but only the wired version works for the PC!! This is most crucial, where I'd definetly want to pick up one for my PC. Though they say that there is a "wireless dongle" to come out for the PC soon, Microsoft is still leaving many PC gamers hanging...

Love it.
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:03 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:03 PM #17 of 36
I prefer Wired. I don't want to have to use batteries for my controler, and the wire has never become an issue with me. I wouldn't mind having a wireless controler though, expecially if it comes with a recharge dock.

Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:12 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 09:12 PM #18 of 36
Originally Posted by Pietak
I love the controller for the Xbox, but only the wired version works for the PC!! This is most crucial, where I'd definetly want to pick up one for my PC. Though they say that there is a "wireless dongle" to come out for the PC soon, Microsoft is still leaving many PC gamers hanging...
Oh yes, I actually bought a xbox360 wired controller the other week just so I could play my emulated games on my laptop properly =P. That, and so I could join in on the frag fest on my friend's PDzero; which by the way isn't all that great.

A wireless usb dongle is coming out? Heh, I bet that'll cost another 25 dollars.

How ya doing, buddy?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:32 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:32 AM #19 of 36
I prefer wired. For me, there's a psychological latency issue with wireless controllers that people blame when they suck. However, I like dealing only with official hardware, so I'm a fan of the Wavebird. In fact, I prefer the Wavebird over the default wired one for Gamecube.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:35 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:35 PM #20 of 36
Wired, doesn't really matter. Unless the cord's way too short, like GameCube's controller. They probably did that on purpose to rack up WaveBird sales.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:47 AM #21 of 36
The cords are short because children like sitting close to the TV.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dyne
fu.ture

Member 675

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:48 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:48 PM #22 of 36
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Wired, doesn't really matter. Unless the cord's way too short, like GameCube's controller. They probably did that on purpose to rack up WaveBird sales.
What about Genesis or Turbo-Grafx 16 controller cords? Those were like a couple feet, and then BAM controller! It was like they were promoting cancer, what with you sitting more in the electrical field of the TV and console.

Dyne // Level 135
FOnewearl // Viridia
Madam's Umbrella // Chao

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:51 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 08:51 PM #23 of 36
Wired, because I don't care for wireless. The PS2's selection of wireless controllers is terrible, and I wouldn't want to recharge controllers.

I also don't like the idea of wires, seeing as how there's more that can go wrong iwth them, but it's a small sacrifice for actually knowing and feeling that your controller is connected to your console or PC.

FELIPE NO
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:59 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:59 PM #24 of 36
Originally Posted by Dyne
What about Genesis or Turbo-Grafx 16 controller cords? Those were like a couple feet, and then BAM controller! It was like they were promoting cancer, what with you sitting more in the electrical field of the TV and console.
Oh yeah, I forgot about how shitty the Mega Drive one was. I had to drag the console itself out to almost where I was sitting. =\ Then there was the deadly risk of forgetting it was there and standing on it, killing millions.

Dyne
fu.ture

Member 675

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:03 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:03 AM #25 of 36
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Oh yeah, I forgot about how shitty the Mega Drive one was. I had to drag the console itself out to almost where I was sitting. =\ Then there was the deadly risk of forgetting it was there and standing on it, killing millions.
You have to admit though, it made changing games easier.

Dyne // Level 135
FOnewearl // Viridia
Madam's Umbrella // Chao

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Controllers: Wired or Wireless?