Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What would you like to do with your life?

Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 01:18 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 11:18 AM #1 of 64
What would you like to do with your life?

Just as the thread title asks, what are your plans/goals/dreams in life? What would you like to ultimately end up doing?

Mine? Well, I would like to do something with music whether it be in a band, in a studio, or just playing paying cover gigs. If that doesn't end up working out I'd like to go back to school. Psychology has always interested me and seems like a field I'd do well in. I enjoy talking to and helping people. Not to mention I'd have that nifty little "Dr." title at the beginning of my name.

On the more realistic side, I am fully aware of how difficult it is and how much time and money I'd spend getting there (talking about my backup dream), so I'm not sure what I'd do in the mean time. I'd definitely take things slow considering I fold like a wet napkin when it comes to pressure with school. I don't think I'd be able to handle more than 2 or 3 classes at once while working a full time job. Who knows.

Anyways, what's your goals with life?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 01:35 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 01:35 PM #2 of 64
Ahaha. Well I'm really drawing a blank...

I'm working offshore, but I can't see myself doing it far beyond five or so years. Money will be very nice and the scheduling is good (for a bachelor), but I don't know if I can handle being away from a wife and possibly children. Plus everyone says you get old fast in this sort of work I want these years to stretch by as slowly as they can, 'cuz once I hit 40, I'd like to be able to look back proudly on things as opposed to "it all became one big blur".

The oil industry isn't going to be at this level of demand forever, and if we have prices go up again, folks will clamor for congress to step in and do something. They'll cripple the industry, we'll probably have lines at the gas tank again, and I'll probably get laid off in the event of that. I'm toying with the thought of heading back to college and getting a Masters in something construction-oriented and maybe hanging around here (Bryan/College Station), since the city is really booming.

Another thing I'd like to do is really expand my hobbies. I'll get back to jewelrymaking some time in the future, but I want to dust up on gunsmithing, get good at playing the guitar, and expand from there on some other potential hobbies. I'm really gonna make use of these long stretches of time off and pick up on some awesome hobbies =o Things like that would make me feel pretty darned fulfilled. Also, since I graduated from college, I've noticed that if I'm not learning something new, I feel pretty damn boring.

I always wanted to look in on carpentry if possible, and even do some boxing (for fun). I'm already in pretty good shape, but I'll need to be in fuckin' PEAK condition for boxing. Because that shit is fucking crazy. Plus, I'm not getting any younger. Best get on that soon, I suppose~

Bottom line is that I think a fulfilled life is to have a nice sampling of what life has to offer. I've got this need to be quite the handiman or jack of all trades, and hopefully I'll be able to fill in that urge over time.

It's kind of like painting a picture. Your job is the basic idea of the sketch, but your hobbies? Family? What you do in your off-time? What you've learned? That stuff represents your range of colors and painting technique. Some folks will prioritize an original painting "target", but I'm a sucker for simply laying out a nice presentation.

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 01:59 PM #3 of 64
My desires are rather simple. I don't really care what I do for a liviing as long as I make enough money to get by. I really just want to get married and enjoy life, not much else matters to me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Out thought and out fought."
Tawnee Van Pelt
Everybody Hertz

Member 227

Level 23.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:07 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 01:07 PM #4 of 64
I wanna be a freelancer. I'm actually paving my way to be the best freelancer I've know, it's a long road but I'm being careful with my steps.

I want to be a writer too. The same with the previous one, I've been working hard and actually I have a book on the way, only that is an anthology but I'm happy with my stuff. I designed it and I'm writing on it, it's just perfect.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:08 PM #5 of 64
I really want to be a voice actor. I was in a specialty theater training program in high school but I found that it really wasn't quite right for me. My aunt suggested I get into voice acting and the more I read about it the more that I wanted to do it for a career. I've done a few odd jobs here and there, narrations for slide shows and such but nothing solid. It pays really well, has good hours, seems like a whole lot of fun and I've really enjoyed the few jobs I've done so far. Away from a job pov I really want my own place. I don't necessarily want a house but I was an apartment for me and maybe one friend or something. I've lived on my own before and it was really boring and living at home really doesn't give as much independence as I'd like it to.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Baaah~
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:42 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 03:42 PM #6 of 64
I want to be a professor of Materials Science at a major research university. It's a bit of a lofty goal, and there's no guarantee I'll get it, but I've been working my ass off for the past five years, and I've got four to five more years of grad school left. After that I'll have to do a post-doc or two and that'll take another 2-4 years. So, hopefully by the time I'm 30 I'll be able to have the kind of job I'm looking forward to.

If that doesn't happen, then I'd go for either a government funded national lab, military research facility, or large corporate research facility. Pretty much my only requirement for any of them is not in California or in the south.

Most amazing jew boots
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:27 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 12:27 PM #7 of 64
I want to claw my way up to middle class and secure myself there. House, health insurance, money for luxuries, the whole package. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's an attainable goal. I am far more intelligent about my finances than my parents ever were.

Following that, philanthropy. I'm not really smart or persuasive enough to personally make the world a better place, but what I *can* do is reallocate resources to that end, even if at worst it's just dropping a fat trust fund in someone's lap after I die. I'll carefully research charity organizations and causes to make sure what I donate is actually being used properly, and pass along what I can. I'm not expecting to dramatically change anything, but progress comes in baby steps. If the world is a happier place for even a handful of people, that'll be enough.

FELIPE NO
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 03:14 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 03:14 PM #8 of 64
My goal is to finish university, marry a nice girl, and settle down with a nice job and have a couple kids as well. An ideal fantasy, and not outside my reach. It will be subject to change depending on what kind of things like throws me. If my hands get cut off somehow, obviously I'll have to find some other career =P

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Traveller87
UNDER PROBATION

Member 26124

Level 9.15

Nov 2007

Old Dec 22, 2007, 05:33 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2007, 11:33 AM #9 of 64
Difficult question...become a writer who can live off of writing, make a difference to the world, find a partner who loves and respects me for who I am, and who I love and respect in return, have good friends, have children, who turn out okay, and, most importantly, find a state of contentment where I don't hate who I am and grieve the past.

On a more realistic note, I would like to get my BSc in Psychology in 2010, and then get a place for postgraduate study in Edinburgh (yes, I know, the chances are slim) for Counselling or somewhere else, where I saw a specific "Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy" course. Alternatively, I would try to get a job as an assistant psychologist first, which is hard with just a Bachelor. After that, I would like to start working with children and adolescents, and keep doing that hopefully for a long, long time, because I hope I'll be able to deal with it.

Another dream of mine is working with children in a developing country for a while, for example traumatised child soldiers. I'll have to see how my "real" job pays first, though, and see if I can just disappear for a while. (And no, I don't know if I'd be strong enough to do that.)

I would also like to travel, if possible, and see as many places as possible.

The family package would be nice as well. I'm aware that families aren't perfect, and that they're hard, that they won't give you happiness, but that you have to be okay with yourself first - but I would still like to have children one day. Not now.

Wow, that's a pretty long list, and if only half of that comes true, I'd be satisfied.

Most amazing jew boots
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2007, 08:55 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2007, 03:55 PM #10 of 64
Apparently, I want to be a stand-up comedian.

No but seriously, I am a game music composer, so I pretty much already achieved my goal in life. It's one of those things that I decided on when I was about 16 that I would try to make game music as a profession. At the time I thought to myself that if I wasn't making money with it at age 30, I would give up. But I guess I made it!

So I have to set new goals. Aside from the whole "climb the ladder of game audio guyness", I do have a new dream--make a game company with some pals and become commercially successful with it. That's considerably more ambitious than "make music for games", but it's definitely something I want to try to do. I also want to build a proper studio, with recording booth and everything. But for that I have to move to a bigger appartment first. That's definitely more reachable though.

Romantically I'm pretty satisfied currently, but on the long term I would like to have kids. Not sure if it's with this girl I'm with now, we'll see.

I also want to emigrate from this shithole of a country, one day.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by surasshu; Dec 22, 2007 at 08:58 AM.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 06:31 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 11:31 AM #11 of 64
I'd love to be an artist. I think being an illustrator would be pretty cool, but I'd rather have a bit more freedom over my subject matter. It's probably one of the reasons I dropped Art at A Level, even though I love doing it. I'm intending to go to college after I get my other A Levels and do a 1 year art course. After that, I don't know. There are a few galleries around here I could sell my work to but it wouldn't be enough to make a living so I'll get another job to supplement it. Maybe I'd look into doing album art for bands, I think I'd enjoy that.

I also want to move away from here at some point. I'm not sure where to, possibly Dublin, but it just depends on my income of course. I know being an artist is a bit of a risky move but I don't want to look back and regret not giving it a shot.

Last edited by Bernard Black; Dec 27, 2007 at 06:34 AM.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:58 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 02:58 PM #12 of 64
I also want to emigrate from this shithole of a country, one day.
Why is the Netherlands a shithole? Seems like a pretty decent country, you could do a lot worse.

Most amazing jew boots
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:41 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 04:41 PM #13 of 64
I guess it looks better from the outside. (Or it might look worse inside than it really is.)

I don't especially want to turn this into a political discussion, but let's just say I would be very surprised if the death toll among right-wing Dutch people murdered by extremists stays at a "mere" two.

But you're right, there are a lot of worse places to be (I wouldn't wanna emigrate to any of those places ). There's no war here and as long as you don't go out, make sure to lock your doors properly at all times and don't rely in any way on the police or judicial system, it's quite wealthy and getting an education is very cheap.

Oh yeah and also, they have great big tax cuts for independent small companies such as what I have, so that's pretty awesome too! Of course, they have great big giant taxes as well, which isn't so great, but at least I don't have to pay 'em... And can still benefit from the advantages of a pushy government, such as a great public transport network. =D!

Last edited by surasshu; Dec 27, 2007 at 10:57 AM.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 28, 2007, 10:47 AM Local time: Dec 28, 2007, 05:47 PM #14 of 64
I feel as long as long as I can do anything with music I'll be content and happy. I'm thinking of becoming a music teacher teaching theory or being an instrumental teacher of some kind. I love teaching out music and well people tell me I'm really good at it too. So as it looks now I think that's one possible goal that I'm aiming for. Other than that I have a lot of interest in psychology and the human mind so that'd be another thing I could do if nothing else goes as I want it to.

One of my "dreams" is I guess to make an original jazz fusion and/or experimental band of my own sometime and be able to live off it. Or really I don't know what kind of genre, just want a band that sounds like nothing else.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by nanaman; Dec 28, 2007 at 11:00 AM.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Dec 28, 2007, 03:45 PM Local time: Dec 28, 2007, 03:45 PM #15 of 64
HEH< I'd like to work for the nobility as a composer, having a professional orchestra and getting commissions for my work... (I think I am in the wrong century)

More practically, I'd really like to make music for a living. While I make 'a living' off of composing right now, it's not enough to really be content. I'd like to do well financially doing something I love. I'd also like to be afforded the luxury of finding an amazing place to live to settle down within the next 5 years or so.

I'd like to write music for video games, movies and television. I feel that music is what I was born to do and I've seen a few successes resulting from working in the medium so I'd really like to see where it all leads.

FELIPE NO
Blades Of Ice
=O

Member 6689

Level 7.53

May 2006

Old Dec 28, 2007, 05:12 PM #16 of 64
A career that regularly takes me around Canada to different locations, business meetings, presentations and so forth. If possible, I'd even want to pursue getting involved with some non-governmental organizations, maybe even get into the field of international development.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:32 AM #17 of 64
I want live my life in the film industry. I plan to start that by trying to bat out some scripts or getting some work as an editor. Ideally, I'd like to make a living writing and directing my own films, and eventually have an Oscar on my mantle, for either writing, directing, producing, or editing (or all 4 ).

I also want to have a family. I've always been good with kids and I look forward to the day where I can settle down and father myself some children.

Most amazing jew boots
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:50 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 05:50 PM #18 of 64
I just want to get a job that actually uses my skills and makes me feel satisfied with the way I'm spending my days. I don't really care about the details as long as it doesn't feel pointless the way most jobs I've had so far do. Other than that I'd like to own a home, and have a nice games room in the basement or something. I've always planned to buy and restore a classic pinball table, and get a MAME cabinet set up. Maybe I could add a pool or an air hockey table.

That's more what I want to do with my house and with my money than with my life I admit, but I'm not really the ambitious type. I'm far more interested in being a well-satisfied nobody than being someone important.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Jeffro
Chocobo

Member 6460

Level 9.79

May 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:05 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 12:05 PM #19 of 64
My plans for the are this:

Film Composer.

If that doesn't work out, I'm moving to Portland and starting a rock band.

If that doesn't work out, I'm moving to the country, working with a hippie mom and pop shop, smoking insane amounts of weed, and starting a touring folk band.

^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:34 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2007, 10:34 AM #20 of 64
I want to pay off all of my bills, and finally forget my dad.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
Aji
bleh

Member 20118

Level 5.67

Feb 2007

Old Jan 1, 2008, 09:50 PM #21 of 64
I'm not exactly sure. When I was younger I always wanted to be a doctor. Right now I'm in college and it's alright. I don't think I'll change my mind but who knows? I guess at the moment I just want to get on with life and get this next semester started. In the end I guess be happy and make my parents proud.

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:22 PM #22 of 64
I've gone from wanting to be an astronaut, to an archaeologist (yes, even past when I realized it wasn't at all like Indiana Jones), to a video game programmer, to to just any old coding job.

Now I want to get rich quick off...well, anything, and just be able to live off the interest it generates. Have absolutely no job, be able to loaf around and do nothing. My dream is to one day be able to have the option to just not get out of bed. Live alone, just grab the remote, and watch TV all day if I want.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

FGSFDS!!!
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 05:36 AM 1 #23 of 64
I'm really not sure. So insecure I am in this respect that I'd like it if someone forced my destiny upon me.

I don't feel like I'm wasting my life, nor is there anything particularly wrong with what I'm doing right now (working and studying) -- it's that I wish that I had a higher purpose. Something burning inside of me, something to live for, something to die for.

... and this is the part where we write crappy movie dialogue

I wish I had a purpose, that's all. A lot of you are lying to yourselves, getting occupied with small things that don't mean a whole lot in the long run. It's what I'm doing now but at least I'm not lying to myself.

How ya doing, buddy?
Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 06:11 AM #24 of 64
I'd like to live.

Don't misunderstand me, I do not mean to insinuate that we are all somehow not alive, but rather that there is more to life than simply being. Other than that? I have no plans. Now, that might seem silly to some, but I'd liken this thread to one made a while back (a la Butcher's). My answer now is the same as it was then: I want to Live.

Also, neus is right. So right. Propped.

Last edited by Ballpark Frank; Jan 2, 2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Link repair.
Eusine2
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 16395

Level 3.09

Dec 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:33 PM Local time: Jan 2, 2008, 11:33 PM #25 of 64
I want to leave a mark of my existence in this planet. I guess thats the sole reason I'm still studying architecture. I hope that someday I become a great architect and can leave something of my creation that can be spoken of many years after my death.

I also hope I can finish writing a novel I'm working on, and also find a nice man to love one day.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > What would you like to do with your life?