Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 155 Voting/WEEK 156 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2008, 01:07 AM #1 of 30
Song of the Week - WEEK 155 Voting/WEEK 156 Nominating

Song of the Week. 150 Weeks and counting.
Week 155 Voting is closed.
Week 156 Nominating is restricted.

Results:
1). [30] Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
2). [22] Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
3). [13/10.5] Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
4). [13/9] Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2
5). [8/5] Live A Live Original Sound Version - Prelude to the Demon King
6). [8/4.5] Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle)
7). [4/4] Jazz Jackrabbit (Game Rip) - Tubelectric
8). [4/2.5] Divine Divinity - The Flags of Freedom Fly High

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Divine Divinity - The Flags of Freedom Fly High
Jazz Jackrabbit (Game Rip) - Tubelectric (player disabled)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Live A Live Original Sound Version - Prelude to the Demon King
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 156 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum: Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Jan 5, 2009 at 10:54 AM.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Dec 24, 2008, 02:17 AM 1 #2 of 30
Someone mentioned something about not using phone sound effects unless you are Kikuta, so I figured I'd take someone up on that challenge.

Album Title: Technictix Remix Vol. 1
Artist: Ayako Saso
Arrangers: Yousuke Yasui
Song Title: Cell-phone Boom
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 11
Year: 2008
Catalog: SRIN-1044
Source: SRIN-1044: Technictix Remix Vol. 1 - VGMdb

How ya doing, buddy?
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Dec 24, 2008, 04:54 PM #3 of 30
(3 points) Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2
(1 point) Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
(1 point) Divine Divinity - The Flags of Freedom Fly High
(1 point) Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 25, 2008, 01:32 AM Local time: Dec 25, 2008, 01:32 AM #4 of 30
Wow JazzJackRabbit is barely and I mean barely listenable. My ears =( Is this a joke nomination?

3pts. - Divine Divinity - The Flags of Freedom Fly High
2pts. - Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle)
1 pt. - Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Grundlefield Earth; Dec 25, 2008 at 01:50 AM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 25, 2008, 02:45 PM #5 of 30
Merry Christmas SotW!

- Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle)

- Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo

- Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2

A half-decent week. Four tracks worked for me, four didn't do much. Fifty percent is a good enough split, however.

Nomination
Album: Roller Coaster Tycoon 3
Composer: Alister Lindsey
Track: Galaxy Trooper
Additional Notes: This was one of my nominations for the 2007 BSC, but it was knocked out in the first round by an equally strong competitor. Galaxy Trooper lost by a single vote and I've since felt like it deserves another chance. It's been over a year, does anyone object to me nominating it here?

Most amazing jew boots
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:21 PM Local time: Dec 27, 2008, 09:21 AM #6 of 30
(No objections from me, Crash)

I love Acoustic Asturia's Bird Eyes View album. I just chose a random track to nominate (seriously, I played the album on shuffle and the first one to pop up, I nom'd) Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo is a gorgeous blend of sophisticated instruments doing what they do best; sounding wonderful in performance and melody. From the wistful celtic flute to the dramatic piano to the uplifting, striking violin, it truly is a work of art in my eyes. And to think this is probably my least favourite track from the album!

Rule 1: Shinichiro Matsumoto rules. Rule 2: MANYO seriously rules. So yes, I like Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice. The contrast between the pensive harmonica and dance rhythms is pretty attractive, and the composition on the whole is solid. Not MANYO's best work, but it's still a great track.

["divine divinity"? =.="] Divine Divinity - The Flags of Freedom Fly High is...not good. The composition is poor enough as it is, and the muffled sound quality (chorals??) really do make things worse. As a general rule I dislike serious orchestral stuff, and my rule is very much in effect here. (soz nomz!)

Jazz Jackrabbit (Game Rip) - Tubelectric is pretty grating at first, but then I got into a sort of groove. Then 1:10 happened and I got even more into the groove. Overall, some laughably silly developments, but it's pretty cool! (and BZ, I can hear it just fine =/)

Live A Live Original Sound Version - Prelude to the Demon King is on the weaker side of the Live A Live score for me, but it's still pretty solid stuff. The main pro is that it maintains a decent sense of melody while sounding chaotic (and the poignant development is just that, poignant). I don't have an identifiable con to point out, but for some reason this piece doesn't entirely engage me. OK~

For a 1988 VGM-related tune, Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso is surprisingly sophisticated. I'm not very good at telling a good piano performance from a bad one, but I can hear that there's a decent whack of passion in this piano playing. Some of the developments are essentially divine divinity (lol). The rhythmic parts have a bit of a question mark going on, but they don't damage the overall product too much. Very nice~

Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle) had me up until the one minute mark, then whatever the hell happened there threw me off. I never really got back on the ride after I fell off!

Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2 was enjoyable enough. Insubstantial stuff, but it's alright for what it is.

oh look at that POINT! it's shining with DIVINE DIVINITY, i say!

3 points: Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
1 point: Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
1 point: Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
1 point: Jazz Jackrabbit (Game Rip) - Tubelectric
5th: Live A Live Original Sound Version - Prelude to the Demon King
6th: Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2
7th: Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle)
8th: Divine Divinity - The Flags of Freedom Fly High

Decent week. Not as good as the last few. (so, it wasn't really divine, y'know (ho ho ho))

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:02 PM #7 of 30
No objections from me either. Give poor Alister another go, chums.

Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo Excellent all around. The instruments sound great, and they kick out some marvelous music--at once pastoral and lively. I may just have to seek this album out if it offers more of the same. This'll be tough to beat.

Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice The percussive groove and finger pianos at the start are quite attractive. The harmonica is a bit left-field in comparison to the rest of the instruments, but it goes offer a nice melody. Pretty good!

Divine Divinity - The Flags of Freedom Fly High The synth leaves a bit to be desired here, and while the harp and wordless singing offer a ethereal touch, the composition as a whole never quite comes together. It has its moments.

Jazz Jackrabbit (Game Rip) - Tubelectric I've thought about putting up an Alex Brandon Jazz 3 tune for a while, but this is the first I've heard of the first game--the computer I played it on back in the day had no speakers. The sound has that unfortunate early-90's PC tininess in spades; the trackerstyle rhythm is good, but aside from one phenomenal breakdown midway through, it's not up to the task.

Live A Live Original Sound Version - Prelude to the Demon King Ah, Ms. Shimomura's first trip to the Squeenix well. I have a copy of this but hardly ever fire it up, so it's almost like rediscovering this piece from scratch. It's mighty impressive; the melody and rhythm are both fiendishly complex, with a more pleasantly melodic interlude. It's got "last level" written all over it.

Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso Decent piano part with a decent jazz ensemble style background. It didn't exactly sweep me off my feet, but there's a nice sound there.

Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle) I picture that Penny Arcade with demon blood in the fridge whenever I see "Melty Blood" The music itself has that Falcom style rock opera feel about it, with nice piano runs and chimes set against guitar riffs and light electronics. A pleasing combination pulled off pretty well.

Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2 Both of the Turritunes that have been up before have placed, so I'm guessing there's something of a fanbase there. It's got a nice drive to it, no question, and it's not as annoyingly bloopy as your average SID. But it's not the sort of thing I'd listen to often on my own.

Good week all around! Keep 'em comin'.

The Point Spread
Ryu-Hyo - 3 pts.
Prelude to the Demon King - 2 pts.
On Thin Ice - 1 pt.

FELIPE NO
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:32 PM #8 of 30
ATTENTION EVERYONE. Does the Jazz Jackrabbit tune change pitch and sound garbled for you at times when you stream it? 'Cause that's not how it actually sounds; for some reason it's getting really messed up. I would hope people realize that and download it before passing by, but based on the comments (grating? joke nom? uh no), it seems people think that's actually how the song sounds. And that's a real shame, cause the actual song is ridiculously awesome.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Dec 26, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:25 PM Local time: Dec 27, 2008, 11:25 AM #9 of 30
Drakken: I realised something was up with the stream of Jazz Jackrabbit, so I downloaded it and commented on it from there. So yeah, my "grating" comment was entirely subjective. (and hey, I liked it and gave it a point!)

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:52 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2008, 08:52 PM #10 of 30
Ok, it is definitely not a joke nomination now that I realize it was the stream. hehe

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:00 PM Local time: Dec 27, 2008, 04:00 AM #11 of 30
This is a known issue with Adobe Flash and 48kHz files. Solution: encode in 44kHz!

Pleasant week btw~

2 points: Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
2 points: Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
1 point: Jazz Jackrabbit (Game Rip) - Tubelectric
1 point: Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2008, 02:17 PM #12 of 30
3 points: Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
2 points: Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
1 point: Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso

How ya doing, buddy?
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:46 AM #13 of 30
Maybe it's the alcohol talking, but this was a damn fine week. Even the tracks I knew wouldn't point I found inherent value in.

(3 points) Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
(2 points) Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
(1 point) Live A Live Original Sound Version - Prelude to the Demon King

Just missed: The Flags of Freedom, Tubelectric

I was speaking idiomatically.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 04:01 AM Local time: Dec 28, 2008, 07:01 PM #14 of 30
Nomination #12

Composer: Hijiri Anze
Album: Garden Original Soundtrack
Track Title: Courage
Track Number: 11
Year: 2008
Catalog Number: CFS-013
Additional Information: The shortest track I've nominated I think (2:08). Also I had to nominate some Anze eventually.

uploaded to the floral ftp of steadfastness

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:20 PM Local time: Dec 28, 2008, 09:20 PM #15 of 30
Plenty to enjoy this week

<<3 points>> Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
Last nomination of mine of the year, and as always, it's radically different from my previous ones. I am one of those who thinks that in the variety is the taste. This time the taste is less melodic and more mood-inducing. It's admirable as it recreates, with so little, that intangible atmosphere of sounds. Reflexive music, a tad sad.

<<2 points>> Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
Although this one is at the same level as my nomination I have to give just two points to it. Anyway, it's going to win the gold and deserves it. A very very good piece of acoustic music. I will always like a good melody that revolves around itself and makes me feel something. Nothing more, nothing less.

<<1 point>> Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
Undoubtfully, the finest of the rest ones. I no longer appreciate the Sakuraba style as I did in the old days, but occassionally hits a chord with me. It's not outstanding in any particular area, except maybe the performance, and those drums rythms (Sakuraba's signature) feel awkward in this piece, nonetheless it gets better as it progresses.

The Flags of Freedom Fly High relies too much on a limited idea. Tubelectric has soul but so little to offer. Prelude to the Demon King is basically standard rpg music, with some flourishes here and there. The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle) could be more interesting without the laughable rock interludes: faux-Castlevania, no thanks. Level 1.2 should be more polished in so many aspects... not bad but quite mediocre in general.

FELIPE NO
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 07:17 PM #16 of 30
1 Point - Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
2 Points - Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
1 Point - Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
1 Point - Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle)
1 Point - Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2

Nomination:f-yeah
OTSU Club Music Compilation Vol. 1 <Tsukasa Yatoki, KEY (Jun Maeda)> [2.01] Last Regrets -Tsukasa Remix-

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:45 PM Local time: Dec 28, 2008, 06:45 PM #17 of 30
By the way, week extension for Christmas.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:45 PM #18 of 30
(3 points) Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
(2 points) Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
(1 point) Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2

--------------------

Nomination:

Game: Home Alone (NES Game Rip)
Artist: George Sanger
Track Title: House
Year: 1991

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:55 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2008, 09:55 AM #19 of 30
Quick votes:

(2 points) Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice

(2 points) Live A Live Original Sound Version - Prelude to the Demon King

(2 points) Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo

My next nomination:

* Album Title: Death Gate (Game Rip)
* Artist: Eric Heberling & Glen Dahlgren
* Track Title: Opening theme
* Source: Game Credits for Death Gate
* File Location: Nominations folder (upcoming)
* Disc Number: NA
* Track Number: 46
* Catalogue Number: NA
* Year: 1994

Most amazing jew boots
I think therefore I am... I think.
Shanks
Syklis Green

Member 18575

Level 8.62

Jan 2007

Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:30 PM #20 of 30
(3 Points) Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2
(2 Points) Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
(1 Point) Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice

NOMINATION:
Artist: Fred Gray & Chris Abbott
Composer: Fred Gray
Album: Back in Time II
Track Title: Batman the Caped Crusader (Radio funk mix)
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 5
Catalog Number: C64CD2
Year: 1999
Source: C64CD2: Back in Time II - VGMdb

How ya doing, buddy?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:20 PM #21 of 30
You suck. That was totally on my list of to-be-nominated tracks.

I actually played the original game back in the 80s and remember how kickass the music was then.

I was speaking idiomatically.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:21 PM #22 of 30
3 points: Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
2 points: Promised Dawn - Melty Blood Original Soundtrack - The end of 1000 years (Millennium Castle)
1 point: Birds Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo

Most amazing jew boots
Shanks
Syklis Green

Member 18575

Level 8.62

Jan 2007

Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:47 PM #23 of 30
You suck. That was totally on my list of to-be-nominated tracks.

I actually played the original game back in the 80s and remember how kickass the music was then.
Oh well. You can still vote for the track, though.

FELIPE NO
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Dec 29, 2008, 07:41 PM #24 of 30
Here is a nomination!

Made by them: Takeuchi, Nagao, Katsumi Tanaka
It comes from: Super Aleste (or maybe called Space Megaforce to some people)
Called by this name: Black Hole Anomalies
Found in the position: 6
Released at the time of: 1992
Location of some information: Game profile: Super Aleste ~ SNESmusic.org

Votes to come soon!

Oh, here they are.

2 points - Bird Eyes View - Acoustic Asturias - Ryu-Hyo
1 point - Clover Heart's Perfect Arrange Album - On Thin Ice
1 point - Jazz Jackrabbit (Game Rip) - Tubelectric
1 point - Pazzo Fanfano di Musica - Fragoroso
1 point - Turrican 3 (C64 Game Rip) - Level 1.2

Did I just give something Sakuraba worked on some points? I should go wash my hands or something.

Last edited by TheKnightOfNee; Dec 29, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:56 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2008, 09:56 PM #25 of 30
Next nomination:

Spencer Nilsen - Ecco: Song of Time[1996] - (07) St. Gabriel's Mask

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 155 Voting/WEEK 156 Nominating