Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Can't people at least pick NEWER games to emulate when they kill people?

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:05 AM #1 of 39
Can't people at least pick NEWER games to emulate when they kill people?

Source

Quote:
JOHNSTOWN, Colorado (AP) -- Two teens have been charged with killing the 7-year-old sister of one of them by beating her with imitations of moves from the "Mortal Kombat" video game, prosecutors said.

Lamar Roberts, 17, and Heather Trujillo, 16, were charged as adults on one count each of felony child abuse causing death, state prosecutor Robert Miller said in court documents released Wednesday and filed a day earlier.

According to a police affidavit, the teens were baby-sitting Trujillo's half-sister, Zoe Garcia, on December 6 while the girl's mother was at work.

Zoe lost consciousness and stopped breathing after the teens hit, kicked and body-slammed her, imitating moves used in the video game, the document said.

Trujillo and Roberts tried reviving the girl by putting her under running water and attempting CPR before they called her mother and 911, the affidavits stated. The girl died at a hospital.

An autopsy showed she had a broken wrist, more than 20 bruises, swelling of the brain, and bleeding in her neck muscles and under her spine, the affidavits said.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Margie Martinez said late Wednesday that she did not know whether either teen had an attorney. The teens were being held at the Weld County jail but were not permitted to accept phone calls, Martinez said.

Roberts said he was downstairs playing video games while the sisters wrestled upstairs, police said. But a witness quoted in the affidavit said Roberts told her he had kicked the girl.

The witness told police that Roberts said Zoe had told them to stop wrestling. According to the affidavit, when the witness asked why they didn't stop, he responded, "I don't know; I was drunk."

If convicted, the teens could be sentenced to 48 years in prison.

When Garcia lost consciousness, Roberts and Trujillo tried to wake her up by placing her in a bathtub, the affidavit said. They also cracked open an egg and put it in her mouth to make sure Garcia was not "messing with them."

The teens waited for 15 minutes before contacting police because they were afraid "the cops were going to get mad" because teens were watching a child, the affidavit said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More importantly, how exactly do you differentiate attacks from one fighting video game to another, especially with vague terms like "hit, kicked and body-slammed"? If the girls were doing flying spear kicks or freezing her or ripping her head and spine clear out of her body I'd have more reason to believe that Mortal Kombat was specifically to blame.

This is just going to be another argument of bad parenting and kids with too much time on their hands versus the susceptible nature of youths to media. Sunrise, sunset.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:12 AM #2 of 39
The question is whether the teens told authorities that they were emulating Mortal Kombat, or just some fighting game. A person with no knowledge of games might have just substituted Mortal Kombat since that's become synonymous with the fighting game genre (much like my dad wouldn't know the difference between a Playstation and an Xbox, so he might call them all Xboxes).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:56 AM #3 of 39
Quote:
he responded, "I don't know; I was drunk."
Somehow, I don't think this was the best answer.

It's terrible when things like this happen, but Jack Thompson probably has an "I told you so" expression right about now. It sounds like these kids beat her pretty bad, too - I wonder if they were all drunk.

Originally Posted by nuttyturnip
The question is whether the teens told authorities that they were emulating Mortal Kombat, or just some fighting game.
You might be right, the authorities might have just equate fighting games to Mortal Kombat since it's been in the media before. Could have been a misunderstanding, but it's not fair to companies like Midway to put them through any grief over this just because they needed a franchise name to scapegoat here.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 01:13 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 08:13 PM #4 of 39
I guess saying Fatality would be bad taste?
However, they could've blamed rock 'n roll too. I wouldn't point fingers at gaming, if I heard some idiot kicked someone.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:14 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 12:14 PM 1 #5 of 39
I can imagine the horrifying scene. The little girl was probably screaming and crying, especially when they broke her wrist. She probably begged them to stop, but they didn't. They broke her bones and they still didn't stop, crying, begging, pleading, that was until she became conscious. Even then they didn't really stop. They continued on with the harassment because they thought she was "faking it".

I can definitely see how easy it was for a couple of older teenagers to destroy the frail body of a 7-year -old little girl, especially while they were intoxicated.

How would you feel if you killed your own little [half] sister?

The saddest part is that she was a very attractive female before she ruined her life by (accidentally?) killing her sister. Very pretty, especially the way her tears light up her eyes.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Divest; Dec 20, 2007 at 02:26 PM.
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:18 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 02:18 PM #6 of 39
All fingers pointing to 'video game related' go right out the window with the kids being drunk.

'nuff said.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:18 PM #7 of 39
This is beyond stupid... there is no way that a 17 and a 16 year old can't realize the kind of damage this stuff is going to do to a 7 year old, unless they're retarded.

As for the whole NEWER games thing in the subject title. Don't forget Mortal Kombat: Armageddon wasn't released on the Wii till earlier this year.

FELIPE NO

"Out thought and out fought."
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:25 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 12:25 PM #8 of 39
Nah these kids were poor. They couldn't afford a Wii.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:01 PM #9 of 39
Nah these kids were poor. They couldn't afford a Wii.
Which means they probably had outdated games, so it still kinda defeats the topic title...

"Out thought and out fought."
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:44 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 01:44 PM #10 of 39

Nevermind, they had a wii. Especially if the kid next door had a good christmas last year.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:44 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 09:44 PM #11 of 39
Like, clearly, Super Mario is to blame. You stomp goombas and body slam koopa shells in it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:07 PM 1 #12 of 39
What is an innocent looking Spanish girl doing with that ugly black guy.

It's terrible what happened to the little girl, but I can't help but laugh at these ridiculous circumstances. It's like seeing someone accidentally riding a Razor scooter into a meat grinder or something. What are you gonna do.

Last edited by Megalith; Dec 20, 2007 at 05:10 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:28 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 03:28 PM 9 #13 of 39

The saddest part is that she was a very attractive female before she ruined her life by (accidentally?) killing her sister. Very pretty, especially the way her tears light up her eyes.
You are officially creepier than Harle, VG, and yama combined.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:33 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 05:33 PM #14 of 39
RR --
I'd hit it with a bestiality fatality.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:58 PM #15 of 39
Honestly, when I saw the words "hit, kick, and body slam", I was half surprised this wasn't another "look, pro wrestling is bad" thing. Then again, maybe they decided to give pro wrestling a rest given the year it has been.

The thing is, all they needed to do was a mention a game, and that game would get the heat. If they didn't put the blame on the game, then others certainly would.

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 08:33 PM #16 of 39
I can imagine the horrifying scene. The little girl was probably screaming and crying, especially when they broke her wrist. She probably begged them to stop, but they didn't. They broke her bones and they still didn't stop, crying, begging, pleading, that was until she became conscious. Even then they didn't really stop. They continued on with the harassment because they thought she was "faking it".

I can definitely see how easy it was for a couple of older teenagers to destroy the frail body of a 7-year -old little girl, especially while they were intoxicated.
The teenagers weren't drunk. Frankly, I'd charge them with manslaughter. Child ABUSE causing death? Really? You can't just go with manslaughter?

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:38 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 08:38 PM #17 of 39
This whole topic is disgusting. I can't believe this even happened. I could care less if it was blamed on video games. Who gives a fuck about video games when a girl is murdered. This is crazy.

Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 01:24 AM 9 #18 of 39
Here's the more up-to-date version of that story:
Quote:
JOHNSTOWN, Colorado (AP) -- Two teens have been charged with killing the 7-year-old sister of one of them by beating her with imitations of moves from the "Super Smash Bros. Melee" video game, prosecutors said.

Dylan Tnga, 17, and Heather Trujillo, 16, were charged as adults on one count each of felony child abuse causing death, state prosecutor Robert Miller said in court documents released Wednesday and filed a day earlier.

According to a police affidavit, the teens were baby-sitting Trujillo's half-sister, Zoe Garcia, on December 6 while the girl's mother was at work.

Zoe lost consciousness and stopped breathing after the teens wavedashed, L-cancelled and spiked her, imitating moves used in the video game, the document said.

The witness told police that Tnga said Zoe had told them to stop being tourneyfags. According to the affidavit, when the witness asked why they didn't stop, he responded, "I don't know; she was a fucking scrub."

How ya doing, buddy?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:02 AM 6 #19 of 39

Okay, seriously, Divest. Back the fuck up.

You mean...you mean to say that you are horrified by the insensitive and torturous acts of a couple drunken teenagers who picked on a helpless, naive child...

BUT

It's perfectly okay to pester a retarded woman into taking off her clothes just so you can post pictures online and embarass her further?

You aren't fooling a single person with your mock sympathies. Not even close there, ace.

I suggest you back away from this discussion before you suffocate on your own hypocrisy.

Quote:
Very pretty, especially the way her tears light up her eyes.
That's just fucking sick, dude.

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:25 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 08:25 PM 1 #20 of 39
Pretty damn good considering she's been a figment of my imagination for going on 10 years now and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of leaving. I've tried multiple times to explain to her that she isn't real and doesn't need absolutely any of my attention but it just hasn't been working.

I suppose I could go to drastic measures such as hypnotism to remove such a horrible, horrible person from my own persona, but it's nice having friends for a change, even if they're just slightly unwanted by the other figments of my imagination. I guess beggers can't be choosers.

Much like this individual, who pops up each time I've done something wrong in my life. It's a fucking nuisance and I'm sick to death of seeing him. Then again, it's quite all right for someone to come in and give me boundaries now and then. I dunno, he doesn't seem to like her, either.

What I'm really trying to point out here is:

Originally Posted by Divest
I can definitely see how easy it was for a couple of older teenagers to destroy the frail body of a 7-year -old little girl

Very attractive 7 year old, huh? You know, it's a bannable offense on SA to inadvertently confess that you're a pedo. It's kinda cute when people talk about lolis but this is an actual person.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:29 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 01:29 AM #21 of 39
It's kinda cute when people talk about lolis but this is an actual person.
It's kinda cute when people talk about lolis

Please die.

YouTube Video

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Dec 21, 2007 at 02:34 AM.
Traumatized Rat
Final Fantasy VI

Member 294

Level 31.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:31 AM #22 of 39

We all know you love this kind of stuff. Don't even bother denying it.

Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:33 AM 1 #23 of 39
Drawn characters have no real feeling whatever age they're said to be. They need to start making doujinshi where they start fucking granny-looking characters that are in actuality only 6 years old. I'm sure a couple dicks will explode in victory.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:39 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 01:39 PM #24 of 39
Man this is horrible. So basically they both started to wrestle down this 7 year old girl until she got hurt so badly that she died? The part which I find the worst is the one were they put an egg in her mouth to see if she's faking.

I don't know how they got Mortal Kombat into the picture, but what game they definitely should be hacking on is Cooking Mama

Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:15 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 08:15 AM #25 of 39
You aren't fooling a single person with your mock sympathies. Not even close there, ace.
In my defense, who said I was sympathic or horrified?

Last edited by Divest; Dec 21, 2007 at 10:19 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [News] Can't people at least pick NEWER games to emulate when they kill people?