Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Best Thing That Ever Happened (to you)

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2009, 04:01 PM #1 of 11
The Best Thing That Ever Happened (to you)

I noticed a couple of days ago that people -including myself- proclaim certain things to be the "best thing" that ever happened to them.

Some note positive experiences, some note negative experiences from which they learned an important lesson from, but most people highlight things in their life as "the best thing that's ever happened to me."

I am sure each and every one of us could declare many things to be the "best," but what, either positive or negative, was the absolute BEST thing EVER to happen to you in your life thus far?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:06 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2009, 02:36 AM #2 of 11
As much as I would like to say getting married to my very beautiful and wonderful wife is the best thing that ever happened to me it is not the case.

I would actually say the best thing that has ever happened to me is when I had my first serious conversation with her. It was actually about a couple of months before we even started dating. It was just such a wonderful feeling talking to someone that respected me as a person and could just talk about anything. We had our conversation at the local KFC in downtown St. John's. We were there for almost two hours talking about a variety of things. After we had that conversation I really thought to myself that this woman is right for me, but I was too afraid to ask her out because I'm really shy when it comes to dating women.

She eventually got fed up waiting for me to ask her out, so she ended up making the first move herself a couple of months later. After the first few dates I just had this feeling that this woman was exactly right for me. Everything just literally fell into place and I couldn't be happier. I knew within a very short period of time that this was the woman I was going to marry.

I classify our first serious conversation as the happiest moment in my life because it gave me the first opportunity to know her for the person she is. If that conversation never had to take place I wouldn't be with this person right now. It is just after that conversation I really felt like I found my soulmate and I couldn't of been happier.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:43 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2009, 01:43 AM 7 #3 of 11
When we moved to the U.S., my mom stopped working so that she could raise us at home. My dad made an OK living for us and we were never in need of much of anything so we stayed home with mom. Soon mom didn't like just being at home with nothing to do, so she started a babysitter business out of her home. Of course, this was back when all you needed was a trusty neighbor to watch your kids and mom happened to be that trusty neighbor who didn't need a license for anything.

One of the girls she used to babysit had an uncle. Good guy. I remember him very well. His name was Mario. I started having problems with math when I was in 6th grade and when he'd come to pick up his niece whenever his sister couldn't, he'd stick around and help me with my homework. I was only 10 or so at the time so this made a positive impact on me.

He only lived about 2 blocks away so I'd occasionally stop by his house for him to help me with my homework and we'd end up talking about all kinds of things. He introduced me to books like Orwell's 1984 and Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo long before I would ever be told to read them in high school and I was always very grateful about this. He was very smart and very outspoken about life and other matters. After a couple of years, Mario suddently stopped coming around to pick up his niece. We always wondered why but we never really inquired. I'd go over to their house and his dad would always give me some tripe like he was sleeping or that he was out, but I figured they were just wanting me off the property. Sooner or later, it started circulating in the gossip circles that Mario was H.I.V. positive and that he was a homosexual. Suddenly it became clear to me why I was never allowed to see him anymore. The gay and H.I.V. are contagious by skin or something!

At that age I was also still a very devout catholic. So I told my mom what was happening and she told me that the best thing to do would be to pray for him. So we did but I felt that I still wasn't doing enough; didn't Jesus want to help the sick? Why couldn't I try to do the same? So I went to speak to the priest of our parish about Mario. I told him how it was probably a good idea that I go visit him and talk to him so he's not alone in such a time of need. Father Lastiri (it's funny how easily I remember THIS one's name) told me in no kind words that Mario was a sinner and that his disease was god's punishment for being a sinner. That his sins had finally caught up with him at the height of his debauchery and as such we should no longer associate with those people who would be willing to defile the laws of the lord the way he had. After all, men were never supposed to lie down with other men and AIDS was the end result. Not kidding, in a half hour or so, that's pretty much what his rant boiled down to: God doesn't like homosexuals, AIDS is the reward he reaped and, lest I wanted to follow in his footsteps, I should probably never go see him again.

So you know what I did? I listened to good ol' Father Lastiri. After all, he was a man of god. Surely he knew something I didn't! I never went to visit him again and I never asked about him again to his sister when she'd come to pick up her girl. About 8 months later, Mario died of some kidney complications surely exacerbated by the god-given disease he carried. I never even went to his funeral. After all of this went down, I was completely racked with guilt. I could've broken the rules and made an exception for him but I didn't; god wouldn't want that.

I've told this story to exactly three people up until now and I'm not sure why I'm typing it all out now. All I know is that it's the best thing that ever happened to me because, without this experience, I would have taken much much longer that I would have liked to realize what a laughable hypocrisy organized religion is and what sick fucking minds it takes to carry out things in the name of their imaginary friend; even if it means poisoning others' minds with this reproachable tripe.

I still go to Mario's grave once a year to leave flowers. He'll never see them but maybe his family does and I hope they know that someone else cared. Even if it's some sort twisted sense of posthumous attrition on my behalf.

How ya doing, buddy?
Janus X
Stupid Frog

Member 31258

Level 6.95

Jul 2008

Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:21 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2009, 10:21 AM #4 of 11
Some years ago, I joined a program called Katimavik. During 9 months, I travelled throughout Canada doing volunteer working. When I wasn't working, I was discovering cities, volunteering around the city or having workshops. One of them was about communication : we have to put on a piece of paper what we like and what annoyed us about other people. EVERYONE agreed that I couldn't handle critic. Ever since, my communication skills have improved!

It was because of that that I was able to live my most beautiful experience : love. It's been 2,5 years, and counting! Notwithstanding politics (economics, actually), we get along so well. Without the skills I acquired, we wouldn't have lasted 3 months

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Thud.
Michael J. Floppies

Member 31527

Level 14.90

Aug 2008

Old Jan 24, 2009, 02:14 AM #5 of 11
The best thing that ever happened to me really boils down to the best day that ever happened to me. (That doesn't make sense, does it? Hm.)

On that best day, a patient told me that my obnoxious cackle of a laugh made them feel better. Something snapped. I knew I was doing some good. I knew I was doing the right thing with my life.

That same day, my best friend wrote me a poem about how to make decisions. It involved spinning, dancing, good beer and listening to my heart (gag). I've tried to follow it ever since.

Later that day, I found out that NAVY was giving Puck back.

Everything made sense.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Thud.; Jan 24, 2009 at 02:23 AM.
Eimin
Wark!

Member 616

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 12:35 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2009, 11:35 PM #6 of 11
You know, I honestly can not think of anything as THE best thing that has happened to me. I'm trying really hard to think of something, too. I don't think I've lived enough. I do think the best thing to ever happen to me is that I DO start living and stop being afraid to. Hah. If that makes sense.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 01:07 PM Local time: Jan 25, 2009, 12:07 PM #7 of 11
You know, I honestly can not think of anything as THE best thing that has happened to me. I'm trying really hard to think of something, too. I don't think I've lived enough. I do think the best thing to ever happen to me is that I DO start living and stop being afraid to. Hah. If that makes sense.
It doesn't.

Like, not even a little bit.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2009, 08:14 PM #8 of 11
I guess the best thing that's ever happened to me was to be the first of the family to graduate high school legitimately. That sounds sad and pathetic, and really it wasn't all that much of an accomplishment when all things are considered here (I flunked damn near every class in freshmen year, was apathetic in my sophomore year--only passing with D's and C's--and junior year was just "eh") but it just felt good to turn myself around senior year... By actually becoming an HONOR STUDENT... And passing my classes with B's and A's and just being handed that diploma.

It will sound awful for me to say this because I don't mean it in the way that it's going to come out but, it just felt good to do something better than what the rest of my family failed at (my parents exempt)

Of course, that high was short-lived when I realized I couldn't get into college, and have since lived my life as a miserable failure since. OH WELL

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Eimin
Wark!

Member 616

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:34 PM Local time: Jan 26, 2009, 09:34 PM #9 of 11
It doesn't.

Like, not even a little bit.
What I'm trying to say is that me realizing that I shouldn't be afraid to live is probably the best thing to happen to me. I'm very much an introvert and I'm often too afraid to put myself out anywhere. I used to be afraid to go to the mall because there would be people there! I'm just now realizing that I shouldn't care or be afraid. I should just try anything, say whatever I want. I should just allow myself to live. heh

Jam it back in, in the dark.
red1234blue
Wark!

Member 32655

Level 2.25

Jan 2009

Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:04 AM Local time: Jan 27, 2009, 11:04 AM #10 of 11
I wouldn't say my life has been blessed with all the best..
But the best thing so far must be having met my boyfriend.
He's the most wonderful, caring supportive and honest guy I've ever met =D

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lebo
Carob Nut

Member 32522

Level 4.76

Dec 2008

Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:58 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 05:58 PM #11 of 11
I think for me it was finding my biggest passion, playing piano and composing. I can get rid of all the "demons" in head. I can play it away

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ever December, snow in your hair

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > The Best Thing That Ever Happened (to you)