Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

beds vs. futons

Krusty69
Carob Nut

Member 13390

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 03:01 AM #26 of 38
Originally Posted by The Wise Vivi
Futon is good for a quick change in bed to couch, to bed again. I have had both a bed and a futon, and I find that a futon is good for a while, but they tend to wear out within a year or so and the bars start poking through a bit. By that point you have to add some padding underneath in order to get rid of the bars bugging you at night.
Yeah they can be very uncomfortable after awhile. I recently switched from a futon to a bed after my fiance moved in with me. I doubt we will be going back.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Oric
Syklis Green

Member 1787

Level 6.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:01 PM #27 of 38
I think all I'd really need is a hammock. Those rock. Although lovin' on a hammock would be difficult.

Most amazing jew boots
Draz
Not-So-Tortured Poet

Member 5387

Level 7.02

Apr 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:02 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 09:02 PM #28 of 38
I've always wanted a waterbed - but having four cats in the house, that make such an accomodation hard to get.

I think beds are awesome. I don't really have a real one (I pretty much sleep on a matress on the floor), so whenever I get the chance to sleep in a real bed, I'm very happy about it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Signatures are so overrated...

Pretentious Music Blather. <--- Music snobbery, not currently updated. Worth reading anyway.
Krusty69
Carob Nut

Member 13390

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:41 PM #29 of 38
Futons suck! I do NOT recomend them to anyone for any reason. They might be comfortable for the first few weeks, but your MUCH better off investing in a great bed. You have to sleep in it every night and it really makes a difference in how you feel that day!

Might I add, they are really noisy!

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Krusty69; Oct 14, 2006 at 06:43 PM.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:59 PM #30 of 38
I have had both a bed and a futon. My matress was shot, and well, couldn't really afford a new one and the old wooden bedframe was shot. So we threw out the bed and and matress (as well as an old dresser, just about to go to college and move soon after so wanted to get rid as much stuff as possible) I took the futon from the guest room in place of a new bed (which we wouldn't be able to afford anyway). This futon, mind you is also about 5 years old, same matress and all.

First of all, it's much lower to the floor than I was used to before. However, I had a twin size bed and this was bigger, and it let me spread out more than before, which was a bonus. The matress was pretty hard though (but still better than my old matress, which jeez, must have been like 10 years or older already). Sometimes it was tough to sleep on, and other times it was ok. I slept actually better when I was asleep in it though, but again, my old bed was really bad. I never even really bothered with the couch function. I've been in comfortable beds, and they are way better, so unless you find some sort of uber comfortable futon, I'd say just get a bed.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Chocolate
Loves Her Boyfriend

Member 429

Level 13.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:01 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 07:01 PM #31 of 38
Years ago when my dad lived in the old house, my brother shared a room and we had a bunk bed and the bottom bunk was a futon. That was my bed. It was uncomfortable =/ The mattress is very thin and after awhile I could roll on it and count how many bars were underneathe it.

The sofa sleepers are nice. I sleep on one of them at my dad's current house if he's there, if he's not I steal his bed. It serves the same purpose- bed and couch. I think the bed is more comfortable and the couch looks more couch like than a futon

Someone mentioned a day bed. I had one. I never had a problem with it. I got rid of it when I got a twin a bed and had it move extended out from a the wall to the middle of my room (can't do that with a day bed). Now I have a full size bed and I bought a book case headboard for it. This is my favorite bed so far. When I first got the full size matress, it sat on my floor without a frame. That worked good to. Now I lose stuff under my bed -_-

FELIPE NO
***Leaving for Japan MAY 16***
Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:12 PM #32 of 38
=/

What?

Geez, when I was reading this topic, I was really confused. "Why does eveyone hate futons? They're fuckin' amazing!"

But then, I forgot that an American futon differs from a Asian one.

I suppose that everyone is talking about these:

While I was thinking about these:

So, while I agree that American futons/pull-out beds DO suck, Asian ones rock.

My grandma brought a futon over from Korea, and it's SOOO much more comfortable to sleep on than my mattress. It doesn't feel like I'm sleeping on anything, and I always get a nice night's sleep.

I dunno; if you can get an Asian futon, then go for it. I believe most are cheaper than mattress, plus it doesn't consume a whole lot of space (it reminds me of a fat rug, actually). The only downer I guess would be that you're kinda sleeping on the ground. Might be cautious if you have spiders or rats or whatever >_>;;

How ya doing, buddy?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 01:23 AM #33 of 38
To be honest I have no problems with one over the other. When I was living in my apartment with my gf we had two futons. One for the living room and one for the bedroom. I can't really say I've ever got a bad nights sleep sleeping on a futon. I've actually had a hard time sleeping on a bed then on a futon but I guess it all really depends on the matress you sleep on.

The only complaint I really have with a futon is the futon in our bedroom is on a wooden frame, and when me and my gf have our intimate moments and it gets really intense, the wooden frame creaks really badly. I can't help but laugh, but it kind of ruins the moment.

At this moment, I haven't really had any complaints to sleeping on a futon even while I'm gone away for work, I'm still sleeping on a futon at my relatives house, so here to futons may I continue to sleep on you until you give me a bad sleeping experience.

Most amazing jew boots
doodle
fingertips

Member 579

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:46 PM #34 of 38
Sleeping on a futon gets really old after a while. Most models come with this cheap-ass foam pad that doesn't even begin to compare to an actual mattress, and with some you can feel the metal bars jamming into your back.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Krusty69
Carob Nut

Member 13390

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:37 PM #35 of 38
Originally Posted by Acacia
=/

What?

Geez, when I was reading this topic, I was really confused. "Why does eveyone hate futons? They're fuckin' amazing!"

But then, I forgot that an American futon differs from a Asian one.

While I was thinking about these:

So, while I agree that American futons/pull-out beds DO suck, Asian ones rock.
It doesn't look like those have very much padding. Or do you prefer a hard surface to sleep on?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 01:26 AM #36 of 38
Originally Posted by Krusty69
It doesn't look like those have very much padding. Or do you prefer a hard surface to sleep on?
Mmm, well, I guess it doesn't have as much padding as American mattresses, but, unlike my bed, the futon my grandma has is MUCH more comfortable. Like I said before, it honestly doesn't feel like I'm sleeping on anything (as opposed to bed-springs and awkwardly quilted surfaces...if that makes any sense). I don't like sleeping on hard surfaces, since it puts bad pressure on my spine, so I don't think the amount of padding isn't small at all.

Of course, I never slept on those fancy mattresses, like the memory foam or sleep number mattresses, so I guess my opinion on American beds is a bit biased.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krusty69
Carob Nut

Member 13390

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:41 AM #37 of 38
Originally Posted by Acacia
Mmm, well, I guess it doesn't have as much padding as American mattresses, but, unlike my bed, the futon my grandma has is MUCH more comfortable. Like I said before, it honestly doesn't feel like I'm sleeping on anything (as opposed to bed-springs and awkwardly quilted surfaces...if that makes any sense). I don't like sleeping on hard surfaces, since it puts bad pressure on my spine, so I don't think the amount of padding isn't small at all.

Of course, I never slept on those fancy mattresses, like the memory foam or sleep number mattresses, so I guess my opinion on American beds is a bit biased.
Yeah, my fiance and I just bought a queen sized pillow-top. It is sooooooo nice. I wish our room was bigger so we could have gotten a king. Oh well, still plenty of room for makin babies.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > beds vs. futons