Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:50 AM Local time: Nov 12, 2007, 12:50 AM #26 of 62
I just played the demo, I did not think it was very fun but I could imagine the full game being better. I liked the environments and the animations and soundtrack were quite well done, but the combat was stupid and reminiscent of Gears of War. I've never been a Naughty Dog fan since they rarely attempt to do anything new with their games, but I could see myself buying this out of sheer boredom.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:02 AM Local time: Nov 12, 2007, 03:02 AM #27 of 62
What would you prefer for the combat, exactly? I mean, I don't think front handsprings and somersaults fit the world they have here. The game plays like an action blockbuster movie, which is obviously the direction they're going with the characters and plot.

I thought it was handled well, even if they took a page from Gears to do it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:37 AM Local time: Nov 12, 2007, 01:37 AM #28 of 62
I don't think the combat was really bad, just boring and derivative. Perhaps I'm being a bit hypercritical when only two weapons were playable, but for an action game to stand out these days it needs to be something really special, and Gears of War with less explosions and set in the jungle really isn't going to impress me.

That said, I'm hoping that the action will take a back seat to the exploration (which from the demo it seems the game will do better anyway) so it wouldn't be a problem. But like I said, I'm not too fond of Naughty Dog's track record so I wouldn't be too shocked if it turned into Gears of War with occasional Tomb Raider segments squished in between the action.

If you're asking me what I would do if I were the game designer, I dunno, maybe make traps out of sticks and logs with your carving knife, or have people walk into snake pits? Something different would be nice.

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 09:25 AM Local time: Nov 12, 2007, 09:25 AM #29 of 62
Two weapons? You've got grenades, the Makarov, an AK and a shotgun to fool around with. And Naughty Dog's already said the demo was combat-centric; in a gmae like Uncharted, the combat could turn into one of two things -- a guy wearing short-shorts and holding two pistols stiff-armed in front of his chest wildly shooting away, or getting behind cover and firing intelligently, which the latter is obviously the better choice.

I've got no problem with a game borrowing elements from other games, hell it's all designers have nowadays (with few exceptions, anyway). But it's in the incorporation of these elements that make a game successful. If Uncharted is basically Tomb Raider's exploration and Gears of War's gunplay, fantastic.

Naughty Dog's had a good track record as far as I've seen. Jak II and Jak 3 were both great games and arguable two of the only games to use the GTA-style open-world without being complete garbage. Lookin' at you, True Crime.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 03:14 AM #30 of 62
Some reviews are in, and apparently the game is awesome. I think IGN gave it a 9.1 or something, and EGM gave it a bunch of 8.5's.

I played through the demo again and I had much more fun than I did during the first, since I actually learned how to shoot accurately and predict the movements of the enemies after you hit them with the first bullet.

I am actually amazed that the game uses DTS, and they even put in a crossover for the center channel.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 09:20 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2007, 09:20 AM #31 of 62
The game's release might've been moved up a bit, since GameStop now has it listed as a Nov. 15th release date. This is a good thing, because if Assassin's Creed turns out to be mediocre, I won't have to wait long for the next best thing.

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 09:47 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 08:47 PM #32 of 62
Anyone know what the actual release date is? I've also heard about the 15th for gamestop as well, but heh there aren't any of those up here. I also checked out Futureshop and Best Buy's websites and they both say the game is out this Sunday (18th), which is a very unusual date for a game to be released. But hey whatever, heh, dying to pick this up after having tried out the demo.

Passing on AC and putting my money on Uncharted instead, especially after reading the reviews.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Hantei; Nov 15, 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:22 PM #33 of 62
The AC reviews wern't bad so I don't know why it would scare you, lowest score was a 7/10. Anyhow that's not the topic I guess, and it's not like you're passing it up for a worse game or anything.

The 20th is still the release date for Uncharted. For some reasone GS/EB thought they were going to get it early, but an interview with a SCEA rep said that the game hadn't even been shipped yet so she didn't know why the retailer would thing the 15th was the release date.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:19 PM #34 of 62
That's weird because it says it shipped for me at EB on their website.

Most amazing jew boots
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
Strife
I'm your new travel agent

Member 24747

Level 9.89

Sep 2007

Old Nov 16, 2007, 03:40 AM #35 of 62
The release got pushed up. Gamestop is selling it now, and Gamefly has it available to rent as well. I just returned Ratchet and Clank, so I hope I get this next. I though the demo was pretty awesome and most of the reviews I've seen look great.

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:46 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2007, 02:46 AM #36 of 62
I completely cracked out tonight, played it for about two and a half hours. Save data says I'm 36% done, so it's lookin like it'll be around a 10 hour game, but I know I'll have to play it again at least once more, likely twice to get all the medals, treasures, and bonuses unlocked.

Plus I'm switching back and forth between it and Assassin's Creed, so that should "extend" the playtime a little. Very awesome game so far though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:01 AM Local time: Nov 18, 2007, 04:01 AM #37 of 62
Bleh, the guys at Futureshop were refusing to sell me a copy as they said the release date wasn't till 22nd now. Apparently it got "pushed back", even when it clearly says its in stock (since friday too) with the release date of the 18th on their website.

What a bunch of bull, I'm gonna stop by the other location in town tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be much more co-operative.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:40 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 09:40 AM #38 of 62
I dont understand anti ps3 reviews, this game clearly is above 9.
I am loving everybit of it, a true nextgen title.
The texturing and geometry is so welldone, it puts shame other games to shame.

And music is just plain awesome.

Highly recommend it, get ps3 for it or atleast rent the game, but do play it.
(Playing masseffect along this and after uncharted badass animation , giving me not so good impression of masseffect cardboard cutouts animation).

After playing ps3 games like ratchet and this, i have realized that nextgen graphics is in animation, not in just plastic coating.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:47 PM #39 of 62
Pretty much. I noticed the animations in MAssEffect to be pretty "last-gen" also. The cinematics are great, but in battle everything seems to fall apart. Fluidity, frame-rate, and animation. Game could have used more time in the oven mesa thinks. I'm still getting it though.

As for Uncharted, it's definately seems to be a killer app. Unfortunately the Nazi game industry seems to be treating the PS3 as a Jew or something, because it doesn't seem to matter how many freat games it has, it still gets bashed. At least I'm not missing out due to bias. Can't wait to get this game either.

(simily only used for relationship purposes, no offense)

FELIPE NO
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 12:56 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 12:56 AM #40 of 62
I beat the game tonight and simultaneously started a new game in Hard difficulty, and goddamn. It's hard.

But having several of the weapon awards unlocked is pimp -- basically infinite ammo for the 9mm, AK-47 and the shotgun. I may have to run through the game on normal (lol beat it on easy first) just to get all the medals I can before beating it on hard and crushing.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 10:36 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 08:36 PM #41 of 62
65% done, and man the music is too awesome.
Some tunes have brokensword 1 vibe to it, and the sounds on dolby is just too nextgen.
When birds or crow fly by you can hear them around crispy clear, the sound of shotgun alone is so satisfying.
Gamespot reviewd it 8, they having problem with hard gunfights.
gunfights are for hardcore, which doesn mean game sucks, its you suck!

I like the fact that enemies move,evade and animate when hit unlike gears where you just keep firng at stone armour enemies.

Enemies reaction to bullets makes it even more harder, you have to keep re-aiming.

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:11 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 01:11 PM #42 of 62
GGAARRFGGJG I WANT THIS GAME.

I saw this game yesterday at Target, and there was only a single copy left. I was kind of surprised, as I didn't think a PS3 game would ever sell out.

Anyways, I decided to wait until Christmas before picking it up, otherwise I will be consumed by video games. And finals are coming up ever so quickly.

You guys need to stop telling me how bad ass it is. I ARE JEALOUS.

How ya doing, buddy?
dark1x
Syklis Green

Member 2954

Level 8.62

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:32 PM #43 of 62
Quote:
65% done, and man the music is too awesome.
Some tunes have brokensword 1 vibe to it, and the sounds on dolby is just too nextgen.
I don't know if you glanced at your receiver, but this game actually uses in game DTS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 04:42 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2007, 02:42 AM #44 of 62
Finished the game, the twist in later levels was totally unexpected.

I have finished all big titles of the year, only masseffect is in progress(but it has too many problems to be goty).

Uncharted is definatley my pick of GOTY, its that good.
Loved the gameplay too, i had no problems moreover it had catered my needs completely in every department.
Almost flawless game.

Nate is most belevable,natural game character ever.
He is now in my fav list along with snake,dante, kain and lara.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:13 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2007, 10:13 PM #45 of 62
I have to agree about the music in this game. I mean, the gameplay is awesome, but the music sells it for me. I played it for 3 hours last night and then sat for 5 minutes at the title screen just listening.

I'm only a third or so done, but one thing I love is that they included achievements and unlockables, and it looks obvious that they may patch the game later down the line so that it will work with Sony's equivalent of gamer points. I can't wait for Home to catch PS3 up to Live service. (or for more developers to start making achievements PS3 compatible.)

Hell, I don't even need the points, I just want the little pop up message so that I know I accomplished something in the game.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:10 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2007, 10:10 AM #46 of 62
I'm playing through the game again on Normal now (did Easy first) so I can get some of the achievements I missed, like 20 stealth kills, 5 kills in a row using one-hit punches after softening the target up with gunfire, etc.

Apparently, you can do these one at a time, die, and repeat on the same guy for maximum efficiency.

Then, it's time to replay it on hard hopefully with infinite ammo and one-shot kills unlocked.

Quick edit:

You know, one thing that's under-appreciated in this game is the use of checkpoints. Namely --

Spoiler:
when you're at the plane crash site fairly early on. There are several waves on enemies, and the game automatically checkpoints you if you die so you're not restarting that fire fight from the beginning.

That was something this team learned from Jak 2 and Jak 3. Jak 2 was so damn hard sometimes, and if you died you were back at the beginning of the stage. Jak 3 remedied that by giving you checkpoints in the middle of a mission. Nice.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Last edited by SouthJag; Nov 22, 2007 at 10:12 AM.
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 24, 2007, 03:43 AM Local time: Nov 24, 2007, 02:43 AM #47 of 62
I just finished the game tonight, the twists last in chapters were definitely unexpected for me as well. Love the music too (please post a rip if found). Gotta give credits the actors/actress (whom did both mo-cap and voice acting), they did a great job! Heh, especially Nate and Elena's performers. Also love the checkpoint, as there were some parts that were really challenging or difficult to figure out (especially the last chapter for me).

The achievements/medals system they got going really brought the game up another level. I especially like how collecting the treasures and earning the medals is actually rewarding, eg. unlockable costumes, a mirror world, slow-mo, etc (unlike some of 360's games). That's the kind of the stuff that adds to the replay value.

Heh, and pretty sweet how they added a gallery section for cut scenes, bonus footage, and concept art. The only thing they're missing is a music player.

Definitely one of the best games for the PS3.

Most amazing jew boots
Justin
Carob Nut

Member 8279

Level 5.97

Jun 2006

Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:07 PM #48 of 62
oh man! I am roughly half way through the game and WOW!! best ps3 game yet! The platforming is sooo well done and intense. I hope they make more of these games!

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 12:54 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2008, 12:54 PM #49 of 62
I hate to bump an almost month old thread, but hey. I started this shit, and I am finally getting around to playing it.

I'm currently at the part where you escape from the jail cell in the Jeep, and Holy. Crap.

This game has surpassed every expectation I have had of it. Even though the game sports probably the best graphics I have ever seen (on a console anyways), I have realized it's not even about how 'pretty' it is anymore. It's all about the animations.

Seriously. The way Drake interacts with what's going on around him makes him so much more...real. If you're running away from a firefight, he'll flinch a little every time a shot whizzes right by his ear. If you're running through the lush jungle, he'll stumble a little and almost trip on the foilage/terrain. For Christ sakes, he even RUNS DOWN THE STAIRS in a believable way.

The firefights themselves are pretty fun, too. Kind of frustrating at times, but I'm currently playing through on Hard, so I die a lot . I love the cover system, even if it is a Gears of War clone. It works remarkably well, except for the goddamn grenades.

And the environments. Wow the environments. When I got on top of that German U-Boat towards the beginning, I swear I just sat their and stared at the sunset above that waterfall for 10 minutes.

God, what a solid game. I can't believe that I thought Naughty Dog might put something out shorter than fantastic.

Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:52 PM #50 of 62
I just got my ps3 yesterday and downloaded a few demos and uncharted was one of them and I have to say that this game was hyped up for good reason. The demo really showed off some awesome character animation and the story just looks like a whole bunch of fun to watch becuase of the main character. I'm no good at aiming with the guns but I'll probably pick up this game in the near future since the demo alone was so much fun

There's nowhere I can't reach.

New Record!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune