Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:26 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:26 AM #51 of 1376
Originally Posted by S?ecter
Anyone here a System of a Down fan, if so, where would you classify them, Genre-wise? (It seems to be hard for people to classify them)
You're right. They are hard to classify. They're an interesting group, because they cull inspiration from so many different genres. It's like Frank Zappa mixed with the Dead Kennedys, with some Slayer, Ornette Coleman, and Armenian folk music on the side. Their self titled debut is one the best metal recordings of the '90s.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:44 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:44 AM #52 of 1376
IRT Brent
Ok, Thanks, just curious...

Anyone here a System of a Down fan, if so, where would you classify them, Genre-wise? (It seems to be hard for people to classify them)
I am a pretty big System of a Down fan. I would classify them as Metal. They might have an odd sound, but they're still heavy and whatnot, so no matter how many different styles of music are in their band, it's still all metal to me..Damn catchy good metal at that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:24 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:24 PM #53 of 1376
So far I've listened to some samples of Pig Destroyer's Terrifyer and am quite impressed.

Another band I listen to is Eternal Tears of Sorrow. No, not their very last release but.. albums like Chaotic Beauty and A Virgin and a Whore.

And.. is Scar Symmtery any good?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:29 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:29 PM #54 of 1376
IRT Brent
Ok, Thanks, just curious...

when in doubt, call Alternative. Alternative, that wonderful little genre for the stuff that doesn't really fit anywhere.

I would call them Alternative metal.

Most amazing jew boots
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:37 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:37 PM #55 of 1376
Originally Posted by Luceid
I would like to hear opinions about the newest single of Blind Guardian: Fly.
I like it, not their best but still good though. I really like Skalds and Shadows more though Blind Guardian always really own the acoustic parts on their albums and this is one of their if not THE best acoustic track ever they made.

FELIPE NO
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 03:46 PM #56 of 1376
I think System of a Down falls into that general alternative metal area for those bands that are heavy, but don't really fit in any other established genres. I dunno, I don't really think of them as metal. Obviously, some of their songs are pretty heavy, but a lot of them are pure post-hardcore or some kind of freaky mix of pop and metal.

Diffrent subject entirely: Anyone around here completely addicted to Ayreon?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:14 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 11:14 PM #57 of 1376
Originally Posted by Dalkaen
I think System of a Down falls into that general alternative metal area for those bands that are heavy, but don't really fit in any other established genres. I dunno, I don't really think of them as metal. Obviously, some of their songs are pretty heavy, but a lot of them are pure post-hardcore or some kind of freaky mix of pop and metal.

Diffrent subject entirely: Anyone around here completely addicted to Ayreon?
YES!! The Human Equation is still my favorite album ever!

I've had the privilege to see Arjan Lucassen live with his new band Stream of Passion this year here in the Netherlands. They really rocked, they played some ayreon tracks too so that was a really cool gig to attend.

Anyone who likes a bit of different kind of metal/progrock now and then should listen to Ayreon NOW. I simply can't recommend it enough, it's pure genius.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 04:37 PM #58 of 1376
I definitely agree. Stream of Passion is fantastic as well.

How ya doing, buddy?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:43 PM #59 of 1376
Any Cult of Luna fans? I just bought all their albums and cant stop listening to it. I just got the latest Exodus album as well and loving it.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:32 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 04:32 PM #60 of 1376
Opeth, with DevilDriver and Dark Tranquility in two hours.
Show review soon.

How ya doing, buddy?
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:45 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 12:45 AM #61 of 1376
Oww, nice gig. Have fun!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 01:34 AM #62 of 1376
Originally Posted by Terminus
And.. is Scar Symmtery any good?
I listened to their album, and it definitely has a Soilwork-inspired sound, but with more death vocals. I personally liked "Reborn" the best off the album, but you can get in in 192 for free off of their site.

I heard the samples for Evergrey's new album, Monday Morning Apocalypse, and if all the tracks are like the samples, I'll definitely have to get it.

Also got a Megadeth discography, but I noticed the remastered tracks are pretty different from the originals, and I can't decide if I like it or not. Either way, Holy Wars =

Need to pick up In Flames' Come Clarity, too. It has single-handedly made me a believer in the band. I was never too big a fan of their classic stuff, but this new album is a lot closer to thrash, so I guess that's why I like it more. I think Anders' vocals are put to a lot better use for this album too. Not too poppish, but not totally inaccessable to more melodic fans like myself.

Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Might have just been the respective venues, but I wasn't too thrilled after seeing Opeth, despite their being one of my favorite bands. Dark Tranquillity is definitely a badass live band, though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:42 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:42 AM #63 of 1376
Have any of you guys heard of Rhapsody? They're awesome, like an Italian(but sing in English) Sci-Fi Fantasy Metal Band! It's awesome, if you want an idea what they're like, download the song "Emerald Sword" or go to their site here for more details...

FELIPE NO
"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:23 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:23 PM #64 of 1376
I kinda like Rhapsody and I can take the cheeseness of their lyrics but the vocals of Fabio Lione are really putting me off. I really liked the Luca Turilli solo albums more which are basicly Rhapsody with a completely different singer (much better IMHO).

So till Mr. Lione improves/changes his singing style i'm not looking that forward to their next album.

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:43 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:43 AM #65 of 1376
Show review soon.
Following through. Dark Tranquility started with about 45 minutes of music. It was mostly from their newest, "Character", and was a great opening act.
DevilDriver was definitely a weak point in the show. Dez Fafara's overwrought seriousness didn't quite fit with the Scandinavians, who told jokes between songs. Mind you, their set was better than I expected, as they're a much better live act than on record.
Then came Opeth, with an amazing two hour set including one song from every album (with the exception of "Damnation"), and three numbers from their newest. Mikael Åkerfeldt's virtuoso guitar work, punishing vocals, and surprising sense of humor was unstoppable. Fill in drummer Martin Axenrot was seamless, and they gave him a solo after announcing his birthday. Highlights were "The Drapery Falls" and "Under The Weeping Moon".
Unsurprisingly, the Swedes ruled the night.

Most amazing jew boots
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:19 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 09:19 PM #66 of 1376
Following through. Dark Tranquility started with about 45 minutes of music. It was mostly from their newest, "Character", and was a great opening act.
DevilDriver was definitely a weak point in the show. Dez Fafara's overwrought seriousness didn't quite fit with the Scandinavians, who told jokes between songs. Mind you, their set was better than I expected, as they're a much better live act than on record.
Then came Opeth, with an amazing two hour set including one song from every album (with the exception of "Damnation"), and three numbers from their newest. Mikael Åkerfeldt's virtuoso guitar work, punishing vocals, and surprising sense of humor was unstoppable. Fill in drummer Martin Axenrot was seamless, and they gave him a solo after announcing his birthday. Highlights were "The Drapery Falls" and "Under The Weeping Moon".
Unsurprisingly, the Swedes ruled the night.
Sounds like a great gig. I really hope I get to see the Opeth guys live this year here in the Netherlands that would be great.

Haven't heard of the other bands though what kind of metal are they playing?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:00 PM #67 of 1376
Originally Posted by Echolyn
Sounds like a great gig. I really hope I get to see the Opeth guys live this year here in the Netherlands that would be great.

Haven't heard of the other bands though what kind of metal are they playing?
Dark Tranquility are a melodic death metal outfit from Gothenburg. Their original lead singer formed In Flames.

DevilDriver is kind of a shitty nu metal band from California. Their lead singer used to be in Coal Chamber. As I said, they're better live than on album, but they still suck when playing beside Opeth.

How ya doing, buddy?
Echolyn
QUACK!

Member 1361

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:13 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:13 PM #68 of 1376
Thanks, guess I'll go looking for some tracks of Dark Tranquility they sound interesting since I already know In Flames and kinda like them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:14 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:14 PM #69 of 1376
they still suck when playing beside Opeth.
Anyone would, so no one should feel bad about that.

Dark Tranquillity is a good band. I saw them live last summer and their show rocked. Recommended if they tour around where you live. Their albums are more of a mix though. They're all good albums with a few great tracks, but their problem is flatness. No contrasts anywhere.

Most amazing jew boots
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:16 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:16 PM #70 of 1376
Originally Posted by Kishin
Dark Tranquillity is a good band. They're all good albums with a few great tracks, but their problem is flatness. No contrasts anywhere.
I agree. They only did seven or eight songs, but that was what was holding their set back.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:37 PM #71 of 1376
Has anyone listened to Arsis? I've seen Opeth live as well as Arsis, Opeth are good, but Arsis if they played together would blow them the fuck out of the water. But then again, i tend to dislike anything acoustic in metal, it is just ruins the metal in metal. If anyone is interested in checking them out, i can upload their album and their new EP! I uploaded them before the board crash, but no-one checked them out, but it seems this time around far more people are interested in music then before.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Iwata; Mar 6, 2006 at 04:40 PM.
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 03:44 PM #72 of 1376
Originally Posted by Iwata
Has anyone listened to Arsis? I've seen Opeth live as well as Arsis, Opeth are good, but Arsis if they played together would blow them the fuck out of the water. But then again, i tend to dislike anything acoustic in metal, it is just ruins the metal in metal. If anyone is interested in checking them out, i can upload their album and their new EP! I uploaded them before the board crash, but no-one checked them out, but it seems this time around far more people are interested in music then before.
I'd take you up on that.

Also, I was kind of surprised that Opeth didn't pull out anything acoustic this time around. It was a metal set, and all the better for it.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:05 PM #73 of 1376
Kickass. Im the process of uploading the arsis stuff, the rest of the coup and some TG stuff.

Im going to see Arsis live on the 16th of may, they are playing with With Necrophagist, Cattle Decapitation, Neuraxis, and Alarum in San Francisco. Sadly, they are getting stuck with playing with alot of shitty bands.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:22 PM #74 of 1376
Hmm, well, I have returned.
I guess I better follow the tradition and post my list of bands in case anyone cares.

* Traditional/heavy metal/NWOBHM

Accept
Angelwitch
Bruce Dickinson
Cage
Halford
Iron Maiden
Jag Panzer
Judas Priest
King Diamond
Legend (UK)
Manilla Road
Mercyful Fate
Rainbow
Saxon
Witchfinder General

* Speed, power, prog

Adagio
Agent Steel
Amorphis (later era)
Ayreon / Star One
Blind Guardian
Demons & Wizards
Control Denied
Gamma Ray
Grave Digger
Helloween
Lefay / Morgana Lefay
Luca Turilli
Memento Mori
Metal Church
Motörhead
Persuader
Rhapsody
Running Wild
Sabaton
Sinergy
Symphony X
Wuthering Heights

* Death

Amorphis (first two albums)
Arghoslent
Behemoth
Bolt Thrower
Death
Luciferion
Obituary
Possessed
Quo Vadis
Septic Flesh
Sepultura
Sinister
Suffocation
The Chasm
Therion (first three albums)
Torture Squad

* Thrash

Anacrusis
Anthrax
Exodus (well, only Bonded by Blood)
Iced Earth (early - later is not bad too, but not thrash)
Kreator
Megadeth, Metallica (old, obviously)
Overkill
Raise Hell
Slayer (old, obviously)
Sodom
Testament
Usurper

* Black

Abigor
Bathory
Carpathian Forest
Darkthrone (first two albums)
Dark Fortress
Dimmu Borgir
Dissection
Emperor (first album only)
Graveland
Immortal
Marduk
Naglfar
Nokturnal Mortum
Old Man's Child
Samael
Satyricon
Summoning
Venom (only "Black Metal", though)

* Folk/viking

Ancient Rites
Arkona
Cruachan
Einherjer
Elvenking
Ensiferum
Finntroll
Hantaoma
Korpiklaani
Lumsk
Mägo de Oz
Månegarm
Mithotyn
Moonsorrow
Nerthus
Otyg
Skyclad
Storm
Talamyys
Tuatha De Danann
Turisas
Vintersorg

* Doom, stoner

Black Sabbath
Candlemass
Count Raven
Dantesco
Electric Wizard
Grand Magus
Saint Vitus
Sir Lord Baltimore
Solitude Aeturnus
Stillborn
Witchcraft

* Other favourites

Bal-Sagoth
Cradle of Filth
Dark Tranquillity
Dead Silent Slumber
Haggard
Hollenthon
In the Woods...
Moonspell
Therion (symphonic era)

You might ah, notice an obvious fondness for viking and folk metal...

Pantera is interesting, because they started way back in '83 and released three horrifically awful power metal albums independently, but they really grew as the nineties came around and I really respect their later catalogue. Really though, avoid those first three albums like the plague.
Actually, their glam albums are by far the best albums they have ever released.

Most amazing jew boots
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:31 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:31 PM #75 of 1376
Originally Posted by Morrigan
Metallica (old, obviously)
Slayer (old, obviously)
Absolutely a good call on the Metallica, but I question the Slayer. Slayer is one of the few thrash outfits that have stuck to their guns all these years. I don't think they've weakened in the slightest. Along with Motörhead, they are easily the most reliable band in metal. You always know what you're going to get when you pick up their new album.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)