Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Do you usually read massive posts?
Yeah, I have nothing better to do 32 46.38%
I skim them, looking for the good stuff 31 44.93%
Fuck that shit, what's going on in the next thread? 6 8.70%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do you read

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:57 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:57 AM #1 of 39
Do you read

these massive debates that happen to pop up in this forum every now and then? Or do you skim them over, trying to look for some interesting thoughts? Or do you just ignore the big posts all together and just read the short ones?

Your thoughts on massive philosophy debates in this forum (and whether or not I am wasting energy)

(btw, this is a question about what you usually do, not when you are in certain rare, specific moods)

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 4, 2006 at 11:59 PM.
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:01 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:01 PM #2 of 39
I tend to read everything, and I have sat down and read a single (long) thread for an hour. As a result, I have a pretty good idea of a lot of people around here, and what they think. For some reason, though, I tend to be a bit too lazy to post.

I mean, Christ, I've been around since March of 2003 and no one knows who I am.

You think I would post a response in a thread if I am willing to sit down and read every word, but... no.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Hachifusa; Mar 5, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:08 AM #3 of 39
Usually, I skim a thread to see what some other people are posting. Some comments stick out either due a quote being used or some text being written in all caps. In any case, I try to read the interesting stuff and, only if I need to reply to someone or something someone said, I'll make sure to look over the posts after it to make sure what I want to say hasn't already been said.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:09 AM #4 of 39
For me, it depends on the "debate" or thread topic: if it's something that I find particularly interesting, I'll usually read the entire thing, despite the fact that I don't reply to debates too often.
Sometimes, if I'm particularly lazy, I'll just skim the thread for avatars that I recognize and read the associated posts. I do read such threads most of the time, though. (Part of the reason that I don't generally reply to them is in the fact that I generally miss something; I don't read carefully enough.)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:11 AM #5 of 39
I figure if I'm going to try and give the person my help or opinion the least I could do is read through they'r whole post, so yes I make it a habit not to just skim through but sometimes, you know.

edit: crap I voted on the wrong option in the poll i think.

Most amazing jew boots
[/RIGHT]
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:14 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:14 PM #6 of 39
Originally Posted by Hachifusa
You think I would post a response in a thread if I am willing to sit down and read every word, but... no.
Well, the thing is, after you read a long thread most of the opinion seem to be expressed by someone else already. Some people just felt that it would be simply echoing opinion that's already there.

It really depending on the topic, actually, if I find the topic to be very interesting, I would read it. Although after a while, I have the tendencies to read certain people's post while skim over others. In the beginning I was reading every posts, but it just seem to be pointless after a while. Especially when they are going into this quoting wars, and analyze every aspect of each other's post. >.>

Usually I would read the original post, and then to the last couple of post and catch the direction of the current discussion to find interesting material, and then go back to read the details if I need to.

Although if there are subject that are fun and a lot of people are actually providing unique insights, I might read everything, but that's rarity now a days.

Certain topic is just jaded, we all have seem it before, so what's wrong with skim through it if there are simply no new angle to explore anymore?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Magi; Mar 5, 2006 at 12:18 AM.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:23 AM #7 of 39
I try to read everything in a particular thread, but if I get bored after about four pages, I'll start skimming. I guess it's usually due to me having a somewhat short attention span and things easily bore me. Chances are if the title is catchy and the first post is a winner, I'll read the whole thing from beginning to end.

FELIPE NO
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:27 AM #8 of 39
Yeah, I'm a reader. I tend to stick to the fantasy genre. Wheel of Time, Anything Forgotten Realms, Dragon Lace, Sword of Truth... I've read the Lord of the Rings books, and the followups, (Hobbit, Silmarillion, etc..) Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia... At least an hour or two before I go to sleep. I don't do it cause I have to, I just love reading.

Edit: Oh shit, I didnt know this was about long threads >_> and readin that.. gj me :doh:

Guess that gives you my answer then

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Blanka
Syklis Green

Member 1209

Level 8.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:27 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:27 AM #9 of 39
If I think the topic is interesting, I usually read most of the debate. I'm not much of a debater, but I like to read what other people think, and if I agree with it or not. Sometimes, sure, I'll just read the small posts, since I obviously can't waste all my time in front of the computer screen.

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:44 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:44 PM #10 of 39
I don't like reading long sets of text on a computer screen. Something about it bothers me. If I had an LCD or tablet screen, I might be more inclined to read the long post in its entirety.

How ya doing, buddy?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:51 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 10:51 PM #11 of 39
While a thread is still less than 5 pages, I'll skim over everything, and stopping to read the writings of some of the more established intelligent GFF members here. Any longer, and I'll skim the first page, and then read posts a few before the one I'm responding to in order to get a better idea of recent discussions. Straightforward enough.. but usually what happens is I read and end up not replying.

waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
uematsufreak
Take me as I am.

Member 612

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:55 AM Local time: Mar 4, 2006, 11:55 PM #12 of 39
Usually, I skim the longer threads, but when one line catches my eye, I read the whole post. It is true, though, that after reading a thread for about fifteen minutes, I usually don't post in that thread. I'm not exactly sure why; I make long posts in threads that have one or two sentence posts, so why can't I post at all in a thread that has mostly long posts?

On the other hand, I can't post in a thread if I don't feel as if I "know" the thread. Sometimes I like to sit down with a thread, have a drink, and ask it personal questions. Most of the time, though, a skimming, albeit a thorough skimming, is sufficient to understand the thread's content, and reply as intelligently as possible.

Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:57 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:57 AM #13 of 39
SCOFFLAWS!!! THE LOT OF YOU; SKIMMING THESE MASTERFUL POSTS!

Don't ask me what a scofflaw is... I don't know

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Fjordor; Mar 5, 2006 at 01:03 AM.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:48 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:48 AM #14 of 39
I used to be on these forums quite a bit, but never posted much. I would always read over interesting topics for about a half hour. I wouldn't find much of a reason to post because almost everytime there was a post I found interesting, someone replied with pretty much with what I was thinking and would say it much better than I could.

Most amazing jew boots
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:04 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 10:04 AM #15 of 39
Generally, I read as many posts as possible. However, in threads that are like 10+ pages long, I don't read every single post. In my opinion, it's enough the read the first post and the last couple of posts to be informed about what the thread's about.

FELIPE NO
Dyne
fu.ture

Member 675

Level 6.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:46 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 01:46 AM #16 of 39
NEXT THREAD PLEASE

(Yeah I didn't even read this thread. Usually I scroll for pictures, or at least italics, bold-type, and bastardized use of capitals.)

Always leave important items in your back pocket.

Dyne // Level 135
FOnewearl // Viridia
Madam's Umbrella // Chao

valiant
FRIEND

Member 836

Level 18.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:08 AM #17 of 39
Hahaha usually I skim through threads until there is one that I can respond to without sounding like an idiot XD

Son of Wiseness
Chocobo

Member 367

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:08 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:08 AM #18 of 39
I love to read. I read the first four Harry Potter books when I was in second grade. I'm currently reading the Charlie Bone series.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:14 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 04:14 AM #19 of 39
Originally Posted by Son of Wiseness
I love to read. I read the first four Harry Potter books when I was in second grade. I'm currently reading the Charlie Bone series.
So, in other words, your answer to the original poster's question would, in fact, be a resounding no.

ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:16 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:16 PM #20 of 39
Depending on the length of the first post, i'll just skim. If it's really long i'll pribably just go onto another topic though because i'm too lazy to read through a massive post that i may or may not be interested in. If i am interested however, in a slightly shorter post, i will then skim through the rest of the topic and make a response after reading that

Cheers B4!
TRZD
i'm rappity rappin'

Member 391

Level 9.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:20 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:20 PM #21 of 39
Often I tend to skim long threads, but if I do then I won't usually reply. If it seems interesting I'll go back and read it properly some other time and then maybe contribute a post. If a thread is more than about 3 pages long though I probably won't read it at all unless I've been following it since it started; I don't want too much to read at once.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Son of Wiseness
Chocobo

Member 367

Level 10.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 06:21 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 05:21 AM #22 of 39
If it's a really long post I'll just read the important parts.

Most amazing jew boots
Weeklan
Weeklan #02

Member 1605

Level 11.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 08:42 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 02:42 PM #23 of 39
I just read a few sentences of each post, heh.

Of course if I can relate to the topic myself (hmm, for example something to do with Japan, or discussion about martial arts, computers, games, girls) then I read as much as I am bothered too.

Topics like these which dont really relate to my whole lot I just read a bit of each (or some) posts... and that as they say is that. Or maybe not, who knows?

(That line in italics is actually a quote from a video game, someone guess correct and you'll get an e-Cookie)

FELIPE NO
FFS!!
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:50 AM #24 of 39
I give every thread the benefit of the doubt, but the more I stay here, the more I cynical I become, and this in turn results in excellent extrapolation of spam.
If a person's first post in the thread is offtopic, unfunny or boorish, I'll start skipping their posts and the subsequent replies they recieve.

I've voted yes, but I've yet to see a thread 100% on topic.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 09:56 AM #25 of 39
I use to read every post I saw, until I noticed that people were just saying the same things over and over and over. At this point, there are really only a handful of people here that I respect and listen to.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Do you read