Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Epic... Powerful... Absolutely MOVING Songs!

PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 09:58 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 07:58 AM #26 of 93
Originally Posted by Chronoman
Which track number is that?
Disc 2, Track 24.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 01:11 PM #27 of 93
Epic, huh? I'd have to go with The Oath (FFVIII) then. It certainly fits the mood very well during that scene. It's a nice, powerful score that moves me every time I listen to it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 02:40 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:40 PM #28 of 93
Originally Posted by alaekiefer
I'm tempted to include Terra's theme as my favourite, but then again I wouldn't be fair to Nobuo's other works.

Here's a list of songs, and why I picked them.

Aeris' Theme - If the orchestrated version didn't leave you semi-drowning in a pool of your own tears by the end of it, you are not human.
Terra's Theme - The overworld theme of FF6. The enchanting melody will haunt me 'til the day I die.
Bonds of Sea And Fire - 'Tear-jerker' is an understatement.

A bevy of other songs as well, from Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, etc. but these three are the most prominent ones that stick on my mind.
1. I am not human.
2. I'll drink to that. 2nd-best overworld theme the series has had (FF7's wins for me for its complexity and atmosphere).
3. I wouldn't necessarily call BoSaF a "tearjerker," but it's definitely moody. More of a lose-yourself-in-thought kind of theme, as it never really struck me as sad.

My votes are:

1. The Age of Fables (Phantasy Star IV): Plays when a certain character is explaining key plot points to certain other characters. It only plays once or twice, and only in that situation, and it gives me goosebumps every time.

2. Hari-Hara: 2nd Movement (Digital Devil Saga): Final boss theme for DDS1, and it rocks pretty hard. I've always seen final boss themes divided into two categories: the "All right, let's DO it!" themes and the "Wow...'kay, then, we're fucked" themes. Battle with Lord Blazer is an "All right" theme, as is "Lucia vs. Zophar" from Lunar 2. This, on the other hand, is most definitely a "fucked" theme. Few can so effectively convey the kind of mind-boggling power the heroes are fighting, but this is among those few. Especially when the chorus kicks in. Organ comin liek wut.

3. Sorrowful Fate (Magna Carta): Don't recall offhand where this one plays (maybe not there yet), but wow is it grandiose. Operatic choir, heavy percussion, organ, the works.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Tappy
Oh, Batsy!

Member 542

Level 15.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:23 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 02:23 PM #29 of 93
Originally Posted by Smoodle
I love the brooding music that plays in Zelda:Majora's Mask on the last day when the moon's just about to fall.
Agreed, I can't really explain...but somehow this piece always takes my breath away when I hear it.
It gives off such a sad & foreboding feeling when hearing it.
Probably one of Koji Kondo's most moving tracks he has ever created (together with the Giant theme from Majora's Mask)

How ya doing, buddy?
vuigun
meh moo.

Member 361

Level 26.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:27 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 08:27 AM #30 of 93
I'd have to say Mushihimesama!

Shinju Heading to the Forest is a wonderful song. I feel my spirit lifting everytime I listen to it.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by vuigun; Apr 8, 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Namakemono
I'm the goddamn Superman!

Member 2200

Level 13.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:47 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 05:47 PM #31 of 93
Originally Posted by alaekiefer
Aeris' Theme - If the orchestrated version didn't leave you semi-drowning in a pool of your own tears by the end of it, you are not human.
Then humans have bad taste.

FELIPE NO
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 08:39 PM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 09:39 AM #32 of 93
sorry for intruding, but how is Aeris's theme, erm... powerful, and epic? Moving maybe, but izit the first 2?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Josh_1
Organization XIII

Member 1596

Level 17.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:15 PM #33 of 93
Film music:

Pretty much anything David Arnold. To be in more detail, I'd say the Main Theme to the Stargate Movie Soundtrack. That whole soundtrack is really epic sounding. I also liked a lot of the music from Independence Day and all of his music from the recent Bond films (Tomorrow Never Dies, World Is Not Enough, and Die Another Day).

As for VGM...

Unlimited SaGa Overture
One Winged Angel
Time's Scar
The Labyrinth (Rogue Galaxy Premium Arrange)
Ending Theme from FFX
Opening Theme from FFXII
Alchemy (Man's Theme) from Stella Deus
Aeolic Guardian from Musashiden II BLADEMASTER

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
dragonhalls
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5250

Level 1.02

Apr 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 03:57 PM #34 of 93
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Two songs come to mind for me, and they're basically exact opposites.

Joy: Truth (Vagrant Story)

In this song, all the pains of your past are washed away, all of your worries, doubts, and insecurites seem, in an instant, ridiculous. This is the basic feeling I got from the second half of the song, long before I ever played the game.
i much recommend 'staff roll' track in vagrant stories....its powerfull and moving orchestrated music...

'water' from advent children also fit that description...

Last edited by dragonhalls; Apr 15, 2006 at 04:13 PM.
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:37 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 03:37 PM #35 of 93
Resolution ~ Pure A Stream - Star Ocean: The Second Story: Arrange Album - I really liked this song. I love the use of the piano solo, as well as the orchestral entry about midway through the track. Ending with a somber piano solo at the end.

Theme of RENA - Star Ocean: The Second Story: Arrange Album - Another great orchestral plus piano song. This song however added some female vocals. Ending with a "music-box" style.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FPI
Dreamlander

Member 599

Level 9.10

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:52 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 09:52 PM #36 of 93
Epic, Powerful, Moving?
Everything on Christopher Franke's score for the canceled Babylon 5-game "into the Fire"!

Arienas
Halsey <3

Member 1626

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:29 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 12:29 AM #37 of 93
Chrono Trigger: The Brink of Time -- World Revolution

Chrono Cross -- Time's Scar

The rest have been mentioned :O

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gameguardian
Sci-fi novel in progress

Member 2626

Level 32.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:57 AM #38 of 93
The main theme from Ace Combat V - Razgriz, performed by the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra is absolutely stunning!!! Shivers down my spine, ohhh!!!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"We Must Appreciate What This World Allows Us To Have"
Cooked Auto
VGM Maniac

Member 5639

Level 2.25

Apr 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 02:20 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 09:20 PM #39 of 93
Megalith -Agnus Dei- - This is one of my all time favorites when it comes to epic music. I was glad it had such a high ranking in the GFF Best song of 2005. I havent even played AC4 and yet I really enjoy this song. The whole opening just screams OH SHI~ Boss Fight to you, right from the start it makes you feel like you are standing against the main badguy or a really huge monster that threatens to devour you in an instant. And then the fight rolls on, with the slowdown after 3 minutes to enter a new mode of the fight and then just slowly gear up into high mode again. An excellent song that just eminates epic.

The Unsung War - I absolutley love this song. I hadnt even played AC5 before I heard this one, but still as in the case of Megalith I managed to fall in love with this one. This is great because of the buildup in a slow momentum. One can almost imagine the planes lining up on the runway and taking off toward the epic battle that will sway the tide of the war.
Now I just wished I had played through AC5 when I had the chance.

And I might as well add Reprisal from AC5 to the list. I didnt like it in the beginning actually. But now its grown on me and I find it really really good.
Other great ones that has to be mentioned is Blockade from AC4, First Flight (it really doesnt sound like a remade version of Blockade) from AC5. And the most obvious one, Hell March from C&C Red Alert. Might as well toss in Hell March 2 from RA2 as well.

FELIPE NO
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:31 PM #40 of 93
Halo 2 (Vol. 2) - Unforgotten

I really liked the sound of this when I first heard it. Unfortunately, for a long time the only place I'd ever hear it was about half of it at the title screen sometimes. And since I don't own the game or an XBox, that made my hearing it occur even less until I got a direct recording of it, and finally as part of the Vol. 2 soundtrack today.

Earth City from Halo 2 is another one. I first heard it in that E3 Demo for Halo 2 years back, when the Master Chief hops into the gunner seat of that Warthog and proceeds to blow up lots of stuff. That was just fantastic.

Lastly, but certainly not least...

Grandia II - Granasaber

Spoiler:
When the whirlwind clears and you see that big thing stuck in the ground, this tune plays while you get a good look at it. It's awe-inspiring.

zander
fat chocobo

Member 1105

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:12 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:12 AM #41 of 93
[quote] Then humans have bad taste. [quote]

yeah that version was kind of crap, the best version is the piano collections, in my opinion

most of final fantasy music i love, so my favourite is the piano collection version of eternity, its bloody marvellous!

Last edited by zander; Apr 26, 2006 at 05:22 AM.
musicjack
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5764

Level 1.34

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 08:56 PM #42 of 93
It is not epic, but it is emotional.

"Beyond Sorrows" from the Kojima Black disc.

I listened to this a lot when a family member passed away a few years ago.

Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:05 AM #43 of 93
Non-game, no song in the world can possibly be more epic than Blind Guardian - And Then There Was Silence.

As far as game music goes, Final Fantasy VI - The Decisive Battle always gets me pumped...particularly the Black Mages version.

How ya doing, buddy?
Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 04:21 PM Local time: Apr 29, 2006, 02:21 PM #44 of 93
Royal Road, from Makai Kingdom. If you haven't heard this song, you haven't heard pretty much the best song Nippon Ichi's games have to offer. Yes, it's that good. Way better than any ending theme in that series of games and pretty much better than any of the other songs too.

oukak

Member 3677

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 04:54 PM Local time: Apr 29, 2006, 10:54 PM #45 of 93
Wow, to me there are a lots of them.
First of all, all of the Shenmue orchestral cd tracks + Wish (track N°18 of the second cd of the OST if I remember well).

Then, Suteki da ne, Ootsuki sama, and Pure Hearts from rikki (FFX/Suteki da ne OST).

There's also a few tracks from Very Best of Ys (by the way, it's the OST I like the second most (after Shenmue orchestral)), especially Feena~First Step To Wars~Palace, Endless History The Morning Grow, Lilia, and Nusical Suite Lilia

Also, Leaving the body from Chrono Cross is especially moving.

I think that's it for the most moving songs. But I'm sure there's a lot oh others which I don't think of right now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Trop peu d'honneur pour moi suivrait cette victoire.
A vaincre sans péril on triomphe sans gloire.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Apr 29, 2006, 07:31 PM Local time: Apr 29, 2006, 07:31 PM #46 of 93
Off the top of my head, here are just a few, in no particular order at all:

-Stuff from the Shenmue Orchestral Soundtrack: A lot of the tracks in this were amazing, beautiful, and moving, namely Shenfa and Sedge Tree (or whatever).

-Speaking with the Stars from Baten Kaitos: I've only heard a few songs from Baten Kaitos, but I really loved this one in particular. Sure, some people find it boring, but I couldn't get enough of it.

Honorable mentions include the ending theme to FFX and the set of songs at the end of Kingdom Hearts, which really help to make the scenes much more touching.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
fliptout

Member 5991

Level 1.34

Apr 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:11 PM Local time: Apr 30, 2006, 03:11 PM #47 of 93
I am absolutely suprised no one has mentioned "Brass Wings" from Star Ocean: Till the end of time. Its the theme shortly before the 2nd DVD.

This theme gives me chill bumps everytime I listen to it while watching the game. Perfect music/action synchronization. Epic in every sense of the word.

The other one that I really enjoyed as a strong defining moment in gaming is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, at the end after you defeat all the bosses, but before you take on Chetyre. Not as good music, but it fits the game so well that too gave me chills.

FELIPE NO
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:30 PM #48 of 93
I Am...All Of Me - Shadow The Hedgehog
Alright, I'll start off with this one. This is one of those songs that just reels me in and keeps me coming back for more. It's powerful, yet it also has a little despair in there just because it sounds so evil.

You're Not Alone! - Final Fantasy IX
Starts out in despair, goes on to powerful, back to despair...best song from the game.

Star Stealing Girl - Chrono Cross
Somehow this song does it to me every time. It's so relaxing and beautiful, yet I almost lose a tear every time I hear this song. Not a big fan of the game itself, but it had a few really good tracks like this one.

Sairin- Henyoku no Tenshi ~Advent- One-Winged Angel~ - FFVII Advent Children
Let me first of all point out that I am not a big fan of the original One Winged Angel. I played FF8 first, and to me the final battle song from FF7 was a HUGE letdown. In fact, I believe the Kingdom Hearts version of this song was much better. That having been said, this one completely defeats its predecessor in every way. I'm not a fan of long songs either. This is one of the few exceptions...it's a cross between epic and powerful, yet it's so well done. Um...might be a little despair there where it starts really picking up at around 3:30 or so. By far, one of my favorite songs I've ever heard of.

Last Day - Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask
I really have nothing to add to this...what more can be said? It's really depressing, but I have an attachment to it. Same can't be said for my brother though, he hates it.

Chrono Trigger - Last Battle
Alright, seriously...if World Revolution is in here (yes I know it's not the original one, it's the one from Brink of Time) then Last Battle is sure as hell gonna be here. This is quite far one of the best songs I've ever heard. It hints at desperation because you've gotta stop Lavos, but it's also powerful. Not rocking guitar powerful like some of my previous ones, but powerful that it just completely blows you away. Every time I hear the beginning of this song, I envision Crono pulling out his sword knowing that this is it...either we stop this freak here and now or our future is screwed. The song has a beat that starts at the beginning and keeps going until it fades out, but it keeps panning between left and right. The Lavos screams don't bother me at all...in fact, I think it's cool and adds to the effect of the song. This is by far Mitsuda's best composition.

Well that's all I can think of right now...maybe I'll add some more later.

punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 05:14 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 02:14 PM #49 of 93
Eternal Sorrow from Musashiden II Blademaster.

Hamauzu never disappoints when it comes to moving pieces.

Also, Healing Winds from Soul Calibur III was quite moving. Nice build, very excellent intro. Wish that song was around when I got married.

What's all this?
Trench
The Raven

Member 2985

Level 17.51

Mar 2006

Old May 1, 2006, 06:33 PM Local time: May 1, 2006, 04:33 PM #50 of 93
This is the best thread ever.

Defenders, from Front Mission 5. It gives me goosebumps even when I'm in the shower.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Epic... Powerful... Absolutely MOVING Songs!