Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

PLAY! A Video Game Symphony

Cogo
Carob Nut

Member 1859

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 9, 2006, 04:08 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2006, 10:08 AM #26 of 250
Originally Posted by Klondike
Man. Know what? I'm in. Chicago, May 27th, full $125 ticket. I'm excited.
You should be, because now it's confirmed that Nobuo Uematsu will attend not only the concert in Stockholm, but also the world premiere in Chicago!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
horseman85
Piano noob

Member 4561

Level 13.38

Apr 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:34 PM #27 of 250
Maybe we should arrange GFF meets for some of the cities if enough ppl are going?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:38 PM #28 of 250
I'll be there with the $125 ticket as well. =D

How ya doing, buddy?
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:13 PM #29 of 250
I've been conversing a lot with the producers of PLAY! recently as part of an interview and, though not too much can be confirmed, I can safely say that there are many major surprises in store for all concert attendees. One will be the active role of a legendary composer, and another will be the premier of some new Uematsu works, not including the fanfare. I can't say too much, but it's looking set to be REALLY good.

For me, I'm really hoping to attend if and when it comes to the UK. I'm off to NZ soon, but am not optimistic I'll be around the right time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
soapy
Chocobo

Member 903

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:56 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 12:56 PM #30 of 250
They have to hit the west coast... they can't have Dear Friends up and down California and not have PLAY! over here. The Chicago show looks great though, will be really exciting to be attending the premiere.

Oh and people don't expect you to be in a tux, but don't be wearing ripped jeans and a t-shirt either.

VGL was very casual, but if you're going to watch a symphony in an actual concert hall, out of respect for the performers, you try to look presentable.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Gameguardian
Sci-fi novel in progress

Member 2626

Level 32.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 05:11 PM #31 of 250
The first official video game orchestra in Sweden - that's bloody amazing for us swedes, since you people overseas often get all the attention and many game releases and such before we get them in Sweden and PAL-versions. Thankfully someone heard our prayers for video game music and sent the PLAY!-symphony squad to correct some of those many times we've been shitfaced here in Sweden. Thank you Arnie Roth and thank you, Nobuo Uematsu!

Video Game Music Forever!

FELIPE NO
"We Must Appreciate What This World Allows Us To Have"
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:25 PM #32 of 250
Originally Posted by Gameguardian
The first official video game orchestra in Sweden - that's bloody amazing for us swedes, since you people overseas often get all the attention and many game releases and such before we get them in Sweden and PAL-versions. Thankfully someone heard our prayers for video game music and sent the PLAY!-symphony squad to correct some of those many times we've been shitfaced here in Sweden. Thank you Arnie Roth and thank you, Nobuo Uematsu!

Video Game Music Forever!
Thomas Boecker is the European pioneer. He's from Germany himself, loves Chris Huelsbeck, produced the Merregnon trilogy, and also inspired the three German Symphonic Game Music Concerts. So thank him!

I agree that Europe, apart from Germany, often gets shunted. There's not been a single event in the UK yet. That said, though, there's not enough events anywhere apart from Japan!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:48 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 09:48 PM #33 of 250
I just noticed it's coming to the Wolf Trap Center in VA. That's somewhat close to me. I haven't been to a video game concert since the very first Dear Friends one back in 2004.

I am definitely considering going to this. Anyone else in the area down?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Cogo
Carob Nut

Member 1859

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:45 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 10:45 PM #34 of 250
This just keeps getting better and better. Now it's confirmed that Koji Kondo will attend the Chicago concert!

http://www.play-symphony.com/news.php?full=23

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 05:25 PM #35 of 250
Nice! But for me, it just keeps getting worse and worse. My opinion that they are overlooking Western game music (and its composers) gets stronger with every news that comes up about that show, sadly. It's fascinating how some people are listening to and supporting exclusively Japanese VGM, as if anything else isn't worth any attention or very few. I admit that there is a lot more happening in Japan and that as a whole, the music is probably better, but an American show not encouraging more the composers from its country is something bad in my opinion and it won't help things get better. I guess I'm somewhat of an eccentric for thinking this way unlike everybody who are excited about that event, but I know that to be succesful, it must aim at the mainstream. It's still great that all those composers are coming, but a more balanced line-up would have made me happier. In a future show, I guess...

Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 05:40 PM #36 of 250
Shit, I was going to make my order for the VIP tickets today and they're sold out of them! >=(

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 06:17 PM #37 of 250
Originally Posted by Rimo
My opinion that they are overlooking Western game music (and its composers) gets stronger with every news that comes up about that show, sadly.
Yes, but what about this show:
http://www.videogameslive.com/index.php?s=home

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 09:34 PM #38 of 250
VGL has indeed more focus on Western game music, but this leads me to another thing I don't like about those shows -> the game series that are featured are always the same (taken mostly from the G.A.N.G. composers & friends) and it's always orchestral music. That's normal since it's performed by an orchestra, but when an organizer will understand most of the popular VGM (among the fans) isn't orchestral and will decide to put up a show with synthesizers and rock instruments (like the Zuntata shows), then that will be something I'd definitely be interested in. I guess I'm hard to please, but I still recognize their current efforts as it will open the way to different events in the future.

Most amazing jew boots
Cogo
Carob Nut

Member 1859

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:35 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 02:35 PM #39 of 250
The news keep coming: Music from Blue Dragon will be performed exclusively at the concert in Chicago. The music is composed by Nobuo Uematsu.

It isn't surprising that the VIP tickets now are sold out. It's fantastic that so many great composers will be gathered at one place. It's strange that something like this haven't already happened in Japan.

I'm wondering what the Japanese fans think about this. Maybe they will get a great concert in Tokyo sooner or later...

FELIPE NO
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:23 AM #40 of 250
Originally Posted by Rimo
Nice! But for me, it just keeps getting worse and worse. My opinion that they are overlooking Western game music (and its composers) gets stronger with every news that comes up about that show, sadly. It's fascinating how some people are listening to and supporting exclusively Japanese VGM, as if anything else isn't worth any attention or very few. I admit that there is a lot more happening in Japan and that as a whole, the music is probably better, but an American show not encouraging more the composers from its country is something bad in my opinion and it won't help things get better. I guess I'm somewhat of an eccentric for thinking this way unlike everybody who are excited about that event, but I know that to be succesful, it must aim at the mainstream. It's still great that all those composers are coming, but a more balanced line-up would have made me happier. In a future show, I guess...
I think you're basing a little too much on what's been currently announced. There'll be around 20 titles in total and only 15 or so have been announced. I believe what you should do is just wait, as I'm told that the involvement of several other Western composers and titles is a certainty. That's mostly because concert will have a unique finale, which will include the appearance of works from Western composers and the people themselves. Sweden, for example, has The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the Western vs. Eastern distribution in the long run.

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:11 AM #41 of 250
Yes, you're probably right that there will be more Western music featured, but the current promotion (which is the main one) is about the Japanese side, so I guess that what hasn't been announced yet will serve as some kind of filler. I'm pretty sure I'll still be deceived in the end, but this is because I'm expecting too much I guess.

It's cool that the "Chronicles of Riddick" music will be featured in Sweden, and I have nothing against that soundtrack, but I don't think it ever became popular among the VGM fans. Like, I'm sure people who'll go to the show are really excited about that! Anyway...

I'm happy for all the pro-Jap VGM fans though, this is finally something great!

Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:47 AM #42 of 250
For Chronicles of Riddick, I think it'll be popular given the composer, Gustaf Grefberg, is actually Swedish and something of a legend there. The finales will largely represent the state/country they're being performed in.

I'm pretty confident that what will be chosen will be good. The unique items at the Chicago premier shows how much thought the producers have put in to each concert. It's worth noting that pretty much all the Merregnon contributors will be involved in PLAY!

I'm surprised that Michael Giacchino's Medal of Honor works haven't been confirmed yet, but maybe this will form part of a finale yet.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:53 PM #43 of 250
Wow, I didn't realize there was a concert scheduled for Philly at the end of July. Hooray! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to that one; this sounds like it would be an amazing event.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:15 PM #44 of 250
No love for Toronto? What's up with that!?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:18 PM #45 of 250
The site lists a Sept. 30 concert at the Hummingbird Centre in Toronto. Or are you talking about the composers actually being there?

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:43 PM #46 of 250
Yeah.

I could listen to game music on my computer... I'd rather have Nobuo conduct - anything. I don't care - I just want him there!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:09 AM #47 of 250
They just announced that Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (Sega composer) is going to be at the Chicago premiere as well.

FELIPE NO

Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:09 AM #48 of 250
Originally Posted by Sepharite
Yeah.

I could listen to game music on my computer... I'd rather have Nobuo conduct - anything. I don't care - I just want him there!
No announcements doesn't mean nobody prominent will attend. September 30 is quite some time away and the team will probably make some announcements closer to the date.

Klondike
Small Time

Member 1186

Level 12.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 02:43 AM #49 of 250
Nobuo is COMING. Koji Kondo is COMING. This is amazing. I am no longer making a visit to a Chicago, or a trip. This is a *pilgrimage*.

My Blog

Currently listening to:
Everything by Pogo
Cogo
Carob Nut

Member 1859

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:58 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 11:58 AM #50 of 250
Originally Posted by Klondike
Nobuo is COMING. Koji Kondo is COMING. This is amazing. I am no longer making a visit to a Chicago, or a trip. This is a *pilgrimage*.
Hehe

Chris Hülsbeck is going to attend the Stockholm concert, so it will be something like that for me, too.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > PLAY! A Video Game Symphony