Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Happy Birthday, Robot!

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2011, 01:09 PM #1 of 11
Happy Birthday, Robot!

Happy Birthday, Robot! is a collaborative storytelling game. That's right! You don't need to roleplay or have a character or anything, we're just making up a dumb bullshit story. I think everybody can manage that.

HERE'S HOW!

First we need dice. We have infinite dice, so that's good. When you roll, treat 1 & 2 as "BLANK", 3 & 4 as "AND" and 5 & 6 as "BUT". We also need coins. We don't have those, but let's just act like we do. We also need people; at least three, not more than ten or so. Last, we need an opening sentence. Normally, the starting sentence would be "Happy Birthday, Robot!" but I think we can handle going off the rails a bit.

Our sample starting sentence: In the future, they'll be time machines.

The free word is they'll. I'll explain what that means in a minute.

SAMPLE TURN

First, roll as many dice as you want, but only three at a time. You can roll three dice, or six dice, or 24 dice, but not more than three at a time. But there any other mechanics stopping you from rolling infinite dice.

Let's say I roll 3, and get 2 ANDS and a BLANK. When you roll an AND, pass it to the player on your "right" (play proceeds clockwise, so give ANDs to the player whose turn is just before yours). Keep BLANKs for yourself.

I want more words, so I roll another 3. I get 2 BLANKs and a BUT. When you roll a BUT, pass it to the player on your "left" (the player whose turn is just after yours). I keep the BLANKs.

I roll another 3! Two ANDs and a BUT. Now the player to my "right" has 4 ANDs and the player on my "left" has 2 BUTs (hrr hrr). When you've given either of your neighbors four or more dice, you have to stop rolling. This leaves me with only three BLANKS, plus the free word: they'll. I can make a four word sentence, or a three word sentence if I don't want to use "they'll". Here's my sentence:

They'll live deep underground.

Now my neighbors can add to my sentence, starting with the player on my right. He or she can add as many words as they have dice (which you passed to them); they can use AND as a free word. Therefore, they can add five words to my sentence, if one of them is AND. If they don't use AND, they only get four words.

They'll live deep underground and fear angry Spanish bees.

Now the player on my right can add to the sentence. They can use as many words as the number of dice I passed to them, and they can use BUT as a free word. I only rolled two BUTs, so the player to my right only gets three words (or only two if he doesn't include BUT).

They'll live deep underground and fear angry Spanish bees, but desire pork.

You don't need to add your contributions to the end of the sentence, or have your contributions adjacent to each other; stick your new words in wherever you want.

They'll live deep underground, and rightfully fear angry but handsome Spanish bees.

PUNCTUATION is free.

After you and both of your neighbors have added to the sentence, the turn is over! You lose all your dice when the turn ends, so you can't save them up for some big impressive sentence later. If it was your turn, collect a coin for each BLANK you used (don't take a coin for using the free word). Your neighbors don't get coins; they need to wait for their own turns.

What good are coins? To you, nothing. But you can give them away at the beginning of someone else's turn: from then on they, they get a free word for each coin they got in this way. Let's call coins you earned yourself "Heads" and coins you got as a gift "Tails". You don't get any free words for having "Heads" coins in your possession, and you can never give away your "Tails" coins. You also don't get any coins from free words that you got from having "Tails" coins! Nobody starts the game with any coins at all.

If by some remarkable bad luck your turn would end without rolling any blanks (from handing out too many ANDs or BUTs), you can STEAL a coin from the player "to your right" (whoever had their turn just before you). Fuck yeah house rule!

WHEN DOES IT END?

Whenever someone has 10 or total coins (of either type), the current round is then the last round. Whatever players are left in the round should try to bring the story to a halfway-sensible end! In the event that "last round" is triggered at the end of the last turn of a round, there's a special added round to give players the chance to add an ending. If we end up needing a special round, the rules change a little: turns proceed in order of coin wealth, most-to-least. Everyone skips dice rolling; everyone gets X free words, where X is the total number of coins they have, plus 1 for the free word (in the example case, they'll). Nobody gets awarded coins in the special round.

Officially nobody "wins" Happy Birthday, Robot! but we can pretend whoever finishes with the most coins is the winner if that's important to you.

LET'S DO THIS

Who's in? Somebody (not necessarily a player) needs to pick a starting sentence (and the free word therein). It can be something you swiped from somewhere or something totally original, and any length. It's probably advisable to make the free word a noun, but not strictly necessary.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Oct 8, 2011 at 07:39 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2011, 04:44 PM 1 #2 of 11

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2011, 06:33 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2011, 12:33 AM 3 #3 of 11
It might be because both times I read this thread I've been pissed as a newt but that all went totally over my head dude. At what point in the game do you get to call people a cunt and be all smugface about it?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:13 PM 1 #4 of 11
I had always viewed that as sort of an anytime thing really

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:53 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2011, 11:53 AM 3 #5 of 11
I'm actually down for this but I'm like Shin in that I'm clearly too fucking dumb for it.

Which means it should even more excellent.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 04:36 PM 1 #6 of 11
You know, this game is designed to be playable by 7-year-olds.

Fine. The starting sentence is I've been pissed as a newt. The free word is piss, pissed, pissing or any other formation thereof.

SOMEBODY ROLL 3D6

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 07:04 PM Local time: Oct 8, 2011, 06:04 PM 1 #7 of 11
10 Dice Rolls
 Description
Dice
Result
SKINNY BLONDE GIRL
1d6
LIMOZZZEEEEN
1d6
MEEDLY MEEDLY
1d6
SCREECHY GUITAR
1d6
THE WHO
1d6
YEEEEAH
1d6
NORMAL DUMB
1d6
LESS DUMB
1d6
I AM DUMB
1d6
*STUFF
3d6
I AM ROLLIN DICES

4 blank, 3 ands, 2 buts.

I've been pissed as a newt. They call me English PissShin.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Oct 8, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2011, 08:14 PM 1 #8 of 11
All right, so let's call the play order for now DENI, SHIN, SKILLS, PANG; if anybody else wants to jump in after me that's cool!

My turn is just before Deni's on the rotation, so I get the ANDs. I get four words to add to Deni's sentence, including AND.

------------------------------------

I've been pissed as a newt.
They call me English PissShin and I smuggle shrimp.

------------------------------------

NEXT: Shin adds to Deni's sentence (3 words including BUT), then rolls a new sentence (which Deni and Skills add to).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Maris
pussy violat0r

Member 25507

Level 19.75

Oct 2007

Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:59 AM Local time: Oct 9, 2011, 05:59 PM 1 #9 of 11
This threat is good, I log every day new to read the threat

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:54 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2011, 08:54 PM 2 #10 of 11
SHIN YOU FAGBOAT

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:51 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2012, 09:51 PM #11 of 11
I guess I missed my go huh?

I still don't get this game and I'm not even drunk right now.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement > [:plant:] Happy Birthday, Robot!