Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Mortal Kombat 8 - GET OVER HERE!

Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 09:55 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 07:55 PM 2 1 #1 of 91
Mortal Kombat 8 - GET OVER HERE!

So, today marks Midway's Gamers Day in Las Vegas, Nevada, and several new games are being showcased in the event. One of them is the next iteration of the Mortal Kombat series, running on the Unreal Engine 3.

There's a really strong rumor that this game will be a crossover like the Marvel vs Capcom games, only this would be Mortal Kombat vs DC Comics. Unfortunately, all information is embargoed until tomorrow, 4 PM Pacific Time.

Most amazing jew boots
Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:16 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 09:16 PM #2 of 91
Mortal Kombat vs DC? Come on, like Superman would ever perform a fatality.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:50 PM #3 of 91
It's a shame that Midway does not now how to make a fighting game with good mechanics. I won't hold my breath, but I'll play it eventually.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:43 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 02:43 PM 2 #4 of 91
I'll be interested if it's 2D again, using real actors. With ultra fancy HD project reality emotion engine mode 7 graphics rendered in 1080 blast processed snowboarding pies.

Also, if it's fun. Where the hell did all the goofy shit in Mortal Kombat games go after MK3? I will check my other pants for clues.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:55 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 07:55 AM #5 of 91
must stop making this game in 3D last 4 games in series are silly,I like MK 1,2 & 3.best one is MK2 is best fighting game after SF.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:57 PM 2 #6 of 91
must stop making this game in 3D last 4 games in series are silly,I like MK 1,2 & 3.best one is MK2 is best fighting game after SF.
Do you run everything you post through a Babelfish filter, or are you just incredibly stupid and lazy?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:12 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 08:12 AM #7 of 91
Do you run everything you post through a Babelfish filter, or are you just incredibly stupid and lazy?
sorry for that but English not my mother language.I'll try my best for better posting next time.

FELIPE NO
Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:16 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 10:16 PM #8 of 91
It's confirmed.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:30 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 10:30 PM #9 of 91
You know, first I had to laugh about this but then I thought that it's pretty cool that video gaming has become a legitimate enough form of entertainment for this type of cross-over to happen.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:42 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 11:42 PM #10 of 91
I think the idea of a comics universe in a fighting game sounds neat, but... Mortal Kombat? Seriously? How can any of those guys really hope to stand up to someone like Superman, Green Lantern or Flash?

Besides, none of the heroes from the DCU (mostly) aren't going to be willing to pull off a fatality or whatever to finish an opponent. How's that going to work?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:52 AM #11 of 91
I'm trying to imagine some fatalities here...

Flash - Runs around opponents carefully until their body is incinerated by hellfires from below.

Superman - Rips the opponent's body in half. Simple.

Green Lantern - Obliterates opponent with the ring.

This is gonna be one hell of a weird game.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:56 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 04:56 PM 4 #12 of 91
Haha, oh man. Batman fighting Sub-Zero, Yoda fighting Ivy, Sonic fighting Mario. Bring on the Street Fighter McDonalds cross-over.

Hamburglar is going down.

Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:03 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 08:03 AM #13 of 91
The Question better be in this. He'd actually fit in pretty well with the MK crowd.

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:18 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 01:18 AM #14 of 91
For sure I'm gonna have to play this game.. subzero and batman in a game thats not mugen

cans it be hype timez now?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:31 AM #15 of 91
I'm just trying to imagine how this game would work. Maybe they'll have the DC characters have something else to 'finish' their opponents. Wait, I know...FRIENDSHIPS!!!

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:53 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 04:53 AM 1 #16 of 91
You know, first I had to laugh about this but then I thought that it's pretty cool that video gaming has become a legitimate enough form of entertainment for this type of cross-over to happen.
Yes. It's pretty cool that video gaming has become legit enough to cross over with... comics? What? "Man, it's pretty cool how sub-culture nerd thing A can be legit enough to cross over with sub-culture nerd thing B."

That's like saying how awesome it is that Magic the Gathering finally attained enough legitimacy to cross over with Dragon Ball.

I'm trying to imagine some fatalities here...

Flash - Runs around opponents carefully until their body is incinerated by hellfires from below.

Superman - Rips the opponent's body in half. Simple.

Green Lantern - Obliterates opponent with the ring.

This is gonna be one hell of a weird game.
DUH. The Flash is so fast he exists outside of time/space. He'll simply choose to inhabit the same place as his opponent in the same moment of time and they will simply CEASE TO BE.

Scorpion kicks the shit out of Green Zero every time. Yellow costume. Dude is fucked. That's what you get for having such a gay weakness, Hal. Suck a dick.

Also, Batman's fatality will be that he drafts his opponent into being the new Robin and promptly gets him killed. Oh snap. All maudlin and shit.

Superman quits the game because he tires of humanity depending on him to fight their Mortal Kombats for them, retires to a holographic farm in Kansas, grows a ponytail and mopes around like a pussy. His fatality is that he just stops caring.

Haha, oh man. Batman fighting Sub-Zero, Yoda fighting Ivy, Sonic fighting Mario. Bring on the Street Fighter McDonalds cross-over.

Hamburglar is going down.
But not the Grimace. Nothing can kill the Grimace.

For sure I'm gonna have to play this game.. subzero and batman in a game thats not mugen

cans it be hype timez now?
No, because Mugen sucks and this will probably suck. Why? Because like, the last 5 MKs have been awful. And DC has been largely awful save a few strokes of brilliance (What's up, Kingdom Come?) and so this will ALSO be awful.

Let me run something by you.

Kano fighting Lobo. That concept couldn't be more terrible if Uwe Boll directed it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:21 AM #17 of 91
I don't really know what to think about this. I haven't been excited for a Mortal Kombat game in a long time and it looks like it's going to be another long time before I am again. It reminds me of when I bought MK Trilogy, so excited to see all the characters in one game... only to find out half the damn fatalities didn't work unless you put in the cheat code. Now they're trying to do the MvC route? Maybe if I were to see more of it would I might change my attitude about this.

Kano fighting Lobo. That concept couldn't be more terrible if Uwe Boll directed it.
Don't give him ideas. Last thing we need is for him and Paul Anderson to form an alliance to make something. That's about as bad news as I heard that Castlevania's being directed and probably written by the guy who did Stomp the Yard (iirc).

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:50 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 12:50 PM #18 of 91
Apparently this has minimal blood, and no fatalities.

Quote:
a former Midway employee has contacted us and said that he worked on the game, and that Mortal Kombat v DC features "no fatalities and little-to-no blood". In other words, "MK is dead". No blood, no fatalities...if this is true, why is this game called Mortal Kombat again?
- Kotaku

:/

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:52 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 01:52 PM #19 of 91
Yes. It's pretty cool that video gaming has become legit enough to cross over with... comics? What? "Man, it's pretty cool how sub-culture nerd thing A can be legit enough to cross over with sub-culture nerd thing B."

Much as I hate to argue with you good buddy but gaming hasn't been a sub-culture nerd thing for at least four years ever since the gaming industry annual turnover started outstripping the film industry. Playing computer games is as mainstream as watching television now mate and has been for some time, no matter how much the kids here want to pretend they're all underground and different from everyone else. The only thing that seperates gaming nerds from the rest of society these days is the lack of social skills and a desire to play obscure dating sims in Japanese.

Cetra's comment is still completely retarded though. There have been games about movies and comments for as long as I can remember. I played a Batman game on the ZX Spectrum, back in the late 80's for fuck's sake. Likewise, there have been myriad films featuring games and game characters, one of the earliest of which was the first Mortal Kombat movie, made in 1995. To suggest that this kind of crossover is in anyway a new thing is at best ignorant and more likely, just stupid. Even the combination of fighting game and comic book characters is old news. Xmen vs Street Fighter came out in 1996 and the Turtles beat 'em up is even older and they're just the first two to pop into my head.

Back to the topic at hand, I doubt Superman would be in it, it's more likely to be primarily Batman characters. For starters, they're all mainly human, like the MK protagonists and there's not a character in there who's not killed people. Also, to make comments like

Quote:
How can any of those guys really hope to stand up to someone like Superman, Green Lantern or Flash?
is kinda forgetting that, you know, it's not real, it's a game, the creators can balance the characters any way they want. If you've played Xmen vs Street Fighter you'll know that it's entirely possible for Ken and Ryu to beat up Juggernaut and even Apocalypse. As such is it really such a leap of faith to see Scorpion and Liu Kang beating the shit out of Bane or Rorschach?

The 3D MK's haven't been too bad really. I had quite a lot of fun with Deadly Alliance (The Soul Blade-esque one with weapons included) and they're still a hell of a lot less complicated than the Tekken games and to be honest, I think the 3D aspect is better implemented than in Tekken.

I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how it turns out. With this and Lego Batman, this could be a good year for DC comics.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:56 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 03:56 PM #20 of 91
Cetra's comment is still completely retarded though. There have been games about movies and comments for as long as I can remember. I played a Batman game on the ZX Spectrum, back in the late 80's for fuck's sake.
Pretty sure he meant crossover as in combining videogame universes and comic book universes. Marvel vs Capcom games as opposed to Marvel games.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:56 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 01:56 PM #21 of 91
Apparently this has minimal blood, and no fatalities.

Quote:
a former Midway employee has contacted us and said that he worked on the game, and that Mortal Kombat v DC features "no fatalities and little-to-no blood". In other words, "MK is dead". No blood, no fatalities...if this is true, why is this game called Mortal Kombat again?
- Kotaku

:/
One could suggest that a former Midway employee saying that the blood and guts were the only point of the MK games (Rather than game mechanics and stuff) might be one of the reasons the recent games have been sliding quality-wise. Sure the blood and guts was amusing enough but I used to enjoy the game-play too, hopefully now they've jogged on all the idiots like him they can rediscover some of that.

Additional Spam:
Pretty sure he meant crossover as in combining videogame universes and comic book universes.
OK, fair enough but Xmen vs Street Fighter is still 12 years old, hardly a recent development in video gaming terms.

Last edited by Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss; Apr 18, 2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:00 AM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 04:00 PM #22 of 91
OK, fair enough but Xmen vs Street Fighter is still 12 years old, hardly a recent development in video gaming terms.
Tru tru, though it's not as if he said this is a first (hello Super Robot Wars). But more cameos have been appearing "steadily" (Soul Calibur 2, Mercenaries, DOA4 etc).

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Apr 18, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:08 AM #23 of 91

Back to the topic at hand, I doubt Superman would be in it, it's more likely to be primarily Batman characters. For starters, they're all mainly human, like the MK protagonists and there's not a character in there who's not killed people.
Be interesting on who they've chosen to be in. I'd be curious to see how they would do Harleyquinne (provided she's in there). And since it's going into a different direction than fatalities that made MK famous, my interest in the game has been tweaked just a little bit.

FELIPE NO

Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:54 PM #24 of 91
Another MK = Fail

A game with MK and DC Comic characters = Major Fail

Honestly, why is this game still around? It had its moment in the spotlight in the mid 90s with its controversies, but if you look back at the fact when you hit an opponent and gallons of blood come out of their face, you cant help but think "Is this what we were freaking out on?". That being said, no blood or gore in this new crossover game [which looks like a total rip on the Marvel/Capcom crossover] is really not a big deal. It looks gimmicky and I dont see how they can put DC characters into MK-ish setting, or vice versa. I know easily you could say "Well what about Marv/Cap?", but to be honest I could see Apocalypse or Onslaught [who if no one knows, were bosses of those games] create dimensional portals and have the two worlds clash it out. I guess Darkseid from DC can do it, but meh...the concept has been done already. I just can't see this combining. Its like oil and water to me.

I think Midway just needs to let this game series rest, did they not say that MK: Armageddon was the last one? I could have sworn I heard that.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:05 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2008, 03:05 AM #25 of 91
The only thing that seperates gaming nerds from the rest of society these days is the lack of social skills
Let me refine that:

The only thing that seperates nerds from the rest of society is the lack of social skills

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [:plant:] Mortal Kombat 8 - GET OVER HERE!