Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] Things in games you wish you didn't have spoiled for you.

28Link
Chocobo

Member 236

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2008, 05:43 PM #1 of 27
Things in games you wish you didn't have spoiled for you.

Not a very good title, but I don't know what else to name it. >_>

Anyway, I was wondering if there's anything in games you have played or will be playing that had things (plotpoints, unlockables, etc) that you wish you hadn't known about before playing the game or unlocking the feature/character/whatnot.

The thing that made me make this thread is that I was thinking how I would have been really surprised to unlock Snake or Sonic in Brawl if I hadn't known about this. News coverage about games is cool, and these two were definately announced ahead of time for publicity's sake, but I can't help but think that it would really have blown my mind to have Sonic suddenly show up as a challenger if I didn't know about it ahead of time.

So, anyone else have experienced anything like this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Mar 8, 2008, 05:58 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2008, 12:58 AM #2 of 27
I can certainly agree with you. I tend to avoid looking on news coverages about games that are about to come out like SSBB, especially when they reveal info about unlockable characters/extras and such. It kind of ruins a bit of the fun, as it is spoilers after all (the commonly used term for this kind of thing ).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 03:52 AM #3 of 27
It use to happen a lot to me with games(i.e. Seph axes Aeris). Due to that, these days I only use guides if 1) I am truly and totally stuck, 2) I haven't played for a while and need to be refreshed up to that point in the game or 3) I will never have the time to beat the game but want to catch up with the storyline.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
aesop
all out of time, all into space

Member 1172

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:26 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2008, 02:26 PM #4 of 27
The thing that made me make this thread is that I was thinking how I would have been really surprised to unlock Snake or Sonic in Brawl if I hadn't known about this. News coverage about games is cool, and these two were definately announced ahead of time for publicity's sake...
Well yeah, developers/publishers would rather you bought the game knowing your favourite character was involved, rather than risk you not buying it because it's unconfirmed or just speculation. "Is he, isn't he?". Brawl could have kept quiet I guess given it will sell regardless, but I recall a lot of rumor that Sonic was in the last Melee game, so it's just good business sense to let everyone know this time around. It's the money, not your enjoyment that they care about.

Either way I'm too fussed. It's a game at the end of the day, and spoilers aren't the end of the world. Though I'm maybe alone in that thought.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:11 AM #5 of 27
In Zelda: Wind Waker...

Spoiler:
I was very disappointed to find out that when you go to the bottom of the ocean, you're actually going to a submerged Hyrule Castle, and that the entire god damn world of Hyrule was flooded many years ago. What a reveal that was! Too bad it was spoiled before I got there.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:56 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2008, 02:56 PM #6 of 27
I'm playing Apollo Justice right now, and some asshole told me that
Spoiler:
Apollo and Trucy are siblings.

Fuck that.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:01 PM #7 of 27
This is usually self-inflicted whenever I'm stuck on a certain part of a game. It's sometimesusually addicting to get a little ahead in reading faqs to make sure I don't miss an item or something, then BAM instant spoiler. I think the last time that I was completely surprised all the way through was Tales of Symphonia.

More recently though, although they're not particularly groundbreaking or vital moments, it still definitely takes a chunk out of the surprise to read something that would have been cool to find out yourself. Even with vague descriptions, that's usually all it takes for me to piece something together:

No More Heroes:
FAQ: "Jeane - has no significance except for her namesake"
Hey, wait a minute...*looks in the manual*

Even more disappointing was merely finding out the names and personalities/archtypes of all the ranked assassins. Believe it or not, I would rather be hyped out over the one battle (#5), then lose that excitement when Henry comes in.

Brawl is obvious, even though I supposedly resolved myself not to look at the character list. As well, I'm notorious for spoiling the end boss whenever I'm at the final dungeon.

FELIPE NO
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:14 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2008, 10:44 PM #8 of 27
I've had quite a lot of things spoiled for me in games. I usually don't mind if its game that I'm not going to get into all that much.

If its one thing I really hated being spoiled for me is a lot of the unexpected twists in the Suikoden games especially Suikoden II, Suikoden III and Suikoden V. As much as I love rpg's suikoden is actually one series that I haven't played even though I respect the fact it is a great series nonetheless and it is my fiance favourite rpg series as well.

Trust me I will eventually play it but as I'm working right now, I don't want to run the risk of bringing those games with me because as great as the suikoden series is they're also very valuable video games in terms of rarity and I don't want to run the risk of losing them. So it is one of the series I will be playing when I return back home for good.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
HolyCaribou
Premium Quality

Member 4230

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:26 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 02:26 AM #9 of 27
There are plenty of games that this has happened to me with. Metal Gear Solid, Lunar, Legend of Dragoon, all the old Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, blah blah blah. I used to use guides for everything!

I won't let it happen with new Final Fantasy games, though. I only let myself watch the debut trailer, then I avoid everything completely. I've done this sense VIII and it makes the story so much more involving - except XII... I don't think anything could've picked that story up out of the mess it was already in.

Pokey
killhouse

Member 15382

Level 9.89

Nov 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:42 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2008, 08:42 PM #10 of 27
wait, are we talking about personal experiences with some asshat spoiling a major death or some other, or are we talking about the 'intentional spoilers' that the media reveals before release to hype up a game? both?

because in the second instance, i loathed the most recent MGS4 trailer.

Spoiler:
Rex and Ray. why, oh why was the (potentially) best part of the game revealed?!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
28Link
Chocobo

Member 236

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:51 PM #11 of 27
Pokey, I guess my intention for the thread is anything spoiled, regardless of it being intentional or not.

I just remembered that this happened to me with the Resident Evil plotline. I've never played any in the series except 4 up until recently, when I got the REmake and RE Zero. I guess playing through REmake would have been a lot more satisfying if I didn't practically know all of the key plot points beforehand with reading the plot analysis stuff on gamefaqs. I wasn't really expecting to play the game, after all.

Summonmaster's post reminded me of the No More Heroes things I wish I didn't know going through the game. While not really spoiled plot-wise, a lot of the character designs were shown in various media outlets, which kinda killed it for me when I met them in-game. I mean, good god, the 2nd ranked assassin's pict was even on the Japanese page of the game, while some of the ones before weren't there.

AtomicDuck
Quackus Maximus

Member 27199

Level 5.82

Dec 2007

Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:38 AM #12 of 27
I just wish no one told me the big thing about the Black Monster in Legend of the Dragoon.

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:54 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 01:54 PM #13 of 27
Fanboys and the press who reveal spoilers like they have mouth aids are like the internets version of when you go to see a film with an annoying friend who can't stfu becuse they've already seen the film, all of which make me want to inflict pain on them >.>

Final Fantasy 7
Spoiler:
Jesus christ fanboys... AERIS IS DEAD! GET OVER IT! The amount of fanboy faggotry I've seen for that game has meant I've never actually needed to play it to know exactly what happens and I never got confused when I watched the movie... seriously what the hell

Sonic Adventure 2
Spoiler:
Pretty much the entire plot, by the time I finally got to play it I knew 99% of the storyline, it destroyed most of if any at all impact the game would have had on me. Considering people call it the best 3D sonic game it hasn't exactly made it any easier to agree with them

Phoenix Wright series
Spoiler:
I've seen a lot of tribute movies for these games but jesus it feels like every other one of them is incapable of being entertaining without revealing some kind of spoiler like the murderer's identity in a case! So until I finish the 3rd game I'm never watching another again

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:28 AM #14 of 27
I just wish no one told me the big thing about the Black Monster in Legend of the Dragoon.
Really? IMO, that's one of the most obvious plot twists in a game to date. Ahh well. That character was one of the high points of that game anyway.

As far as the whole spoiler thing goes, I have yet to run in to a time where it REALLY got me, but what I do hate is FAQs that must spoil everything rather than just do what they're supposed to do.

"OK, so after you take down that tough boss, A cut scene plays. Apparently, your brother never died in that fire, and he's coming back to take you down! What a great last boss he's gonna be!"

Why is that necessary? Needs more spoiler free FAQs.

Most amazing jew boots
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:29 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 06:29 AM #15 of 27
I actually have a habit of whenever I read a book, I'll read the last two pages or so, after I've started a few chapters in. I couldn't tell you why I do it. Maybe I'm the sort of kid that knows where the Christmas stash is hidden and I need a peek at the size of all the boxes. In most cases, there's not enough information in there so I have a close to full synopsis of all the important events. Usually just allusions to how things turn out and then I read on to see how that conclusion came about.

In games, I usually will look up what or who a final boss is, sometimes the entire final string of end game opponents. Or what the last stages are like or however it applies to the genre. I guess it might be more enjoyable to go in completely blind, but without details, I never feel like the experience is really ruined.

However, with video media, I'm really anal about not walking in midway through on an episode or movie. Or watching episodes out of order or seeing a sequel without having seen the original. Maybe because the payoff of having the complete story is a lot quicker.

FELIPE NO

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:05 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 06:05 PM #16 of 27
Most of Final Fantasy 7 actually, but I think that's partially my fault for being so late beating it (two or three years ago).

How ya doing, buddy?

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:55 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 06:55 PM #17 of 27
I tend to avoid spoilers for most games that I'm interested in by staying away from any information about the story before it's release, but you can't really avoid spoilers that the game itself gives you on the box or in the manual.

in FFXII:

Spoiler:
The game tells you in the beginning that princess Ashe's dead, and that Basch has been executed, but the player already knows from just looking at the box or reading the manual that they are still alive and will be party members, which is basically incredibly silly since it takes like 10 hours or more before you actually find out the truth about their fake death. Those scenes really lost their impact because of the info that the developer itself provided.

Last edited by Peter; Mar 12, 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:54 PM #18 of 27
I HATE spoilers. Hate them in any kind shape or form, with every fiber of my being. Don't exactly know where this hatred came from, but I guess it's the fact that I don't like going into many situations biased, it makes me have preconceived notions of the person/thing/whatever.

Seriously, I don't like if someone tells me 'something cool' that the character does, or an interesting bit of dialouge (but not related to plot or development of story/characters), even when people tell me what the character is wearing for a certain scene. Absolutely kills me, and I have several friends who are totally ok with getting spoiled (ugh, why do that to yourself?) and love trying to tell me parts of a videogame or movie I have yet to play/watch.

I'm also reluctant to watch trailers, and I usually skim through reviews. Try not to read the manual too, unless I'm stuck, bored, or want to look at the art inside.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 05:01 PM #19 of 27
I don't mind spoilers at all... Even if someone tells me a spoiler, I still bother playing the game like I never knew about since I don't exactly know what lead to the spoiler in the first place.

It's all about trying to figure it out and then saying "Ohh... That's why it happened". Didn't detract me from playing Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations at all. But sometimes, I just bother learning them just so I don't have to play the game myself. In one case:

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time:

That ending... Seriously... It's a world inside a virtual world?

Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:16 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 01:16 PM #20 of 27
For a long while I tried to avoid everything that had to with Super Smash Bros Brawl in hopes nothing will be revealed to me. Eventually I caved by accidentally stumbling across the dojo site and seeing various youtube clips of the game (back in august 2007.) I'll be honest though, it did make the emissary adventure mode predictable as hell.
Spoiler:
It would've been exciting to see ROB was that the guy behind the green cloak without knowing it beforehand .

As for Sonic showing up practically at the last minute of the emissary mode. I kind of chuckled at the fact he played almost no part in the game.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:18 AM #21 of 27
That's about how last minute he was.

But I actually managed to avoid watching too many SSE clips before the game came out.

28Link
Chocobo

Member 236

Level 11.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 07:46 AM #22 of 27
For a long while I tried to avoid everything that had to with Super Smash Bros Brawl in hopes nothing will be revealed to me. Eventually I caved by accidentally stumbling across the dojo site and seeing various youtube clips of the game (back in august 2007.) I'll be honest though, it did make the emissary adventure mode predictable as hell.
Spoiler:
It would've been exciting to see ROB was that the guy behind the green cloak without knowing it beforehand .

As for Sonic showing up practically at the last minute of the emissary mode. I kind of chuckled at the fact he played almost no part in the game.
Nah, I think the first spoiler thing was foreshadowed way before that point. I expected it about halfway before that event.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2008, 04:45 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2008, 11:45 AM #23 of 27
Nah, I think the first spoiler thing was foreshadowed way before that point. I expected it about halfway before that event.
Oh? I wasn't paying attention to that part of the game then! I'm going to play it back again on intense difficulty anyway so I'll look out for that clue... Or if I'm lazy I will watch that particular scene in the replay theater.

FELIPE NO
CryHavoc
Catherine Bell <3

Member 8369

Level 18.10

Jun 2006

Old Mar 21, 2008, 02:11 AM Local time: Mar 21, 2008, 10:11 AM #24 of 27
Spoiler:
AERIS DIES!

.JEZUZ FUCKING CHRIST.

Seriously what the fuck, RIGHT WHILE I WAS DOWNLOADING THE GAME !!!

I mean i was so psyched i been told this is the best FF, i played X and LOVED it, they told me it's shit compared to 7, i'm downloading it and BAM some asshole just randomly BLURTS IT OUT ONLINE.. FUCK YOU NIGGER..

Most amazing jew boots
Quintus
Banned

Member 29176

Level 2.38

Mar 2008

Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:27 PM #25 of 27
The Brawl roster, among others. The ending to Phoenix Wright 2 also comes to mind...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] Things in games you wish you didn't have spoiled for you.