Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Bring back postbit HP/MP bars?

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:07 AM #1 of 82
Bring back postbit HP/MP bars?

I posted this in my journal and some mods suggest I drop it off in here too.

But I was hoping for a return of our old school system included HP meter, MP meter, job classes and moods. However, if the rest of GFF is fine without them, I am totally content as well. Just wanted to toss this idea out there.

Stumbling upon these images did make me feel nostalgic.
OLD SKOOL MEMORIES<--

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lord Styphon
Malevolently Mercurial

Member 3

Level 50.41

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:11 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 09:11 AM #2 of 82
Personally, I'm just as fine without them. They really were just for show, and I think they would need to be recoded for vB3. There's also the stretching of the postbit that would go along with them. Of course, the EXP bar lives on in parenthetical form.

Also, I edited your thread title.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:15 AM #3 of 82
Actually, I do believe the general consensus is that we don't want it back.

I feel without it, it makes for a leaner, better-looking userbit area, that isn't entirely filled with clutter. It also saves us froma having those "HEY WHAT DOES THAT MEAN" threads that were made at least weekly.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:18 AM #4 of 82
;_;

Oh well. I understand what you guys are saying.

Styphon - thanks for the edit.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Qube
Banninated

Member 23

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:27 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 09:27 AM #5 of 82
I think the moods were limited so some relatively normal smileys Yamamanamamamamama, but yeah, the HP/MP bars, despite looking interesting and such, did tend to draw too much attention from newbs.

If it was implemented, I'd like to see it as a user CP option, that was off by default. Because I really wouldn't mind seeing the EXP bar again. Just for show of course.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hatred on the fact that I lost my old sig, maybe I'll get it back someday. Or not!
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:33 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 05:33 PM #6 of 82
The HP/MP bars were lame, however moods could be added, as there's an empty space where they used to be. I'm undecided about the job classes.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:39 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 09:39 AM #7 of 82
I posted about it in the journals, but I'll post it here too for public notice.

I would like to see the classes return, but only on the condition that "Dragon" is changed to "Dragoon".

FELIPE NO
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:46 AM #8 of 82
I mentioned in the journal that I'd like to have the HP/Xp/MP bars back, but now I'm not too keen on the idea anymore. For one thing, the bars are too long and will make the board all stretchy.

The HP and MP bars in particular don't do anything at all, so that can go. As for the XP bar, we already have the % beside the level, so that's not needed either.

I think the current post count section looks nice enough as it is.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:22 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 11:22 AM #9 of 82
GFF isn't an RPG. I really think doing away with the bars was one of the best ideas ever. Classes were similarily pointless.

But one thing I've always wanted to ask is why do we still have levels and a percentage meter if the HP/MP bars are gone? It's always seemed out of place. I don't think anyone honestly uses those as a gauge for anything. (Well, Majestic did, but he doesn't really count.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:24 PM #10 of 82
Someone fill me in on what "job classes" means, please.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:45 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 06:45 PM #11 of 82
Originally Posted by AliceNWondrland
Are you asking for an explanation of the concept, as it would apply to a Final Fantasy game, or of an explanation of how it would affect GFF?

How ya doing, buddy?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:19 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 12:19 PM #12 of 82
Job classes where basically a tiny image that was under the postbit, Alice. You chose one from a list of about 20. It was nothing special.

The idea was taken from Final Fantasy and other RPGs.

Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:27 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 08:27 AM #13 of 82
GFWiki's article saves the day .

It was one of those useless features that sets a postbit under your avatar. Personally, I would definitely like to have that feature back even if it is just for kicks. Provided we do get to remake many of the user class banners (I just need the font!)

As for the HP/Mp bar feature... I don't know, GFF already looks like a RPG, with the level mod under our avatar. I'd be all for it if it were a optional feature like the custom username feature.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:29 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 08:29 PM #14 of 82
The font is called Fight Club, or something like that. I think you can easily find it on Google.

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:30 PM #15 of 82
Oh just this little silly picture you could have under your username. Like plumber or warrior or something dumb like that. It didn't affect anything. It was mearly there. I guess if you were a Nintendo guy you could put plumber as your class or something but it was mostly pointless.

I'd be interested in moods. Not sure how often I'd change it but it'd be a good idea. We'd probably need to make a custom mood set that fit in there.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:42 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 08:42 AM #16 of 82
Originally Posted by Aardork
The font is called Fight Club, or something like that. I think you can easily find it on Google.
Haha, wow found it already. Thanks Aardork!

Now we just need a general agreement to actually have that feature back ._.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:29 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 01:29 PM #17 of 82
I'm down with moods. It makes things a little more human and personalized, in my eyes.

I also do agree with the return of "job classes." They were fun to pick out and change every once in a while. But I do think that the HUGE bar and font that represented jobs were bad. That Fight Club ripoff font is tacky, especially since our new GFF banner got more sexy looking.

My suggestion for brining it back would be to either create a more lithe and sleek job class banner, or use a sprite from one of the many games that use a job system. Removing the Member # could help solve space issues. (Get over it. The only number that counts is bobo's. )

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 02:47 PM #18 of 82
Originally Posted by Colonel Skills
GFF isn't an RPG. I really think doing away with the bars was one of the best ideas ever. Classes were similarily pointless.

But one thing I've always wanted to ask is why do we still have levels and a percentage meter if the HP/MP bars are gone? It's always seemed out of place. I don't think anyone honestly uses those as a gauge for anything. (Well, Majestic did, but he doesn't really count.)
I side with the man on this one. Classes are lame. Also, if they do come back, and one of them is Dragoon, official boycott follows.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 05:39 PM #19 of 82
Originally Posted by Denicalis
I side with the man on this one. Classes are lame. Also, if they do come back, and one of them is Dragoon, official boycott follows.
lol.

After reading each post, I feel as if job classes were definitely useless. My only reason for wanting them back would be for added customization (and nostalgia too). I could do without HP and MP bars because they attract unneccessary attention and made posting a chore just to keep stats high, but the mood would definitely work out.

So this is my updated stance.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 07:10 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 04:10 PM #20 of 82
I only used the job class feature for two months before the forums went down, and they were removed completely.

I don't think the HP/MP bars are necessary though. I found them useful in the past because I had an idea of what my postcount statistics were, but they didn't add anything to my posting experience. They were interesting additions though.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 07:29 PM #21 of 82
The idea to optionally turn on the HP/MP bars sounds like a good one, because that would be something that everybody could personalize GFF with.

However, I really think that they don't add too much to the forums as a whole, so pile me in with the group that's saying "No".

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 05:52 PM #22 of 82
If HP/MP bars are coming back, can we please fix MP so it's possible to have more than 25% of your max once you get a decent number of posts.

Also, I wouldn't mind having some sort of mood field even though I doubt I'd ever use it. Maybe ditch the broken gender icons and throw it in that spot.

scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 07:59 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 04:59 PM #23 of 82
I was just thinking, what if the job classes went along with each forum and your class would change to the forums class that you post most in. For example if I post most in Marios Warp Room my class would become Plumber or whatever. If I suddnely get more posts in another forum my class would change.

FELIPE NO
THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:07 PM #24 of 82
Originally Posted by scotty
I was just thinking, what if the job classes went along with each forum and your class would change to the forums class that you post most in. For example if I post most in Marios Warp Room my class would become Plumber or whatever. If I suddnely get more posts in another forum my class would change.
A little bit confusing

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 08:10 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 07:10 PM #25 of 82
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
A little bit confusing
A whole LOT confusing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Bring back postbit HP/MP bars?