Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Plans for the future of Gamingforce

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:34 AM #51 of 169
Blah would it make you happy if I issued a formal apology to Miles

because really now

really

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Feb 14, 2009 at 02:41 AM. Reason: but pang it's not ABOUT that it's about honk bonk duh (foams at the mouth, hilariously criticizes others for snark)
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:44 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 03:44 PM #52 of 169
Oh by the way removing CH and My Stuff will also remove all their props

Do you love me now

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:24 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 11:24 AM 1 1 #53 of 169
So is this idea the result of space issues or isn't it? Because if that's the entire problem it could so easily be solved by just disabling the completely useless attachments once and for all.

Or is it to be done in hopes of wiping away GFF's dark past due to some "takedown notice", as you seem to be implying now, Blah? We've been fileshaing here for the better part of ten years now, and My Stuff certainly has it's most active days behind it. So if My Stuff wasn't a problem-child in the heydays of '03 and '04, why now suddenly?

I was speaking idiomatically.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:36 AM #54 of 169
Well, if the site has gotten one DMCA, it's easy to guess that it'll get another at some point. Considering the idea of My Stuff and CH being split off has been bandied about for a long time by many people, seanne, now is a pretty awful time to go about saying "Well it hasn't done much wrong so let's keep it!"

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:56 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 05:56 PM 1 #55 of 169
Space issues is the immediate problem. And seanne, filesharing used to be the main draw of this community, so that kind of offset the risks. But as you said, those days are behind us. My Stuff isn't pulling in the membership anymore, so it's become more of a liability.

However, the best thing that would come out of this move is the separation of two communities that are perpetually hostile towards each other.

FELIPE NO
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:07 AM #56 of 169
Color me surprised here but VGMdb is 22GB? Really?

All that touhou shit.

Also not to be a dick or anything Pang but yeah Miles is a horrible weeaboo but what are his other options? Make entries about his daily life between working his ass off to pay for his place to live, school and this forum or interact with a community of assholes you have little in common with?

Really though you guys are some dickheads.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

#654: Braixen
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:49 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 05:49 PM #57 of 169
Space issues is the immediate problem. And seanne, filesharing used to be the main draw of this community, so that kind of offset the risks. But as you said, those days are behind us. My Stuff isn't pulling in the membership anymore, so it's become more of a liability.
If it really is a liability, will simply placing it on a different forum really change that? What do we do when the next letter arrives?

Quote:
However, the best thing that would come out of this move is the separation of two communities that are perpetually hostile towards each other.
I guess I must have missed this. Really? I couldn't imagine why that would be the case.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:16 AM #58 of 169
I guess I must have missed this. Really? I couldn't imagine why that would be the case.
GFF is like Denny's.

The Concert Hall is your slovenly uncle who comes in, doesn't order anything, drinks everyone's water and then takes a ton of mints when he leaves.

The waitress asked your Uncle to behave himself. He refuses to.

This has made the chef *very* angry.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:20 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 12:20 AM #59 of 169
If it really is a liability, will simply placing it on a different forum really change that? What do we do when the next letter arrives?
Huh? Why would a letter for gamingforce.com affect gamingforce.org? They're on completely different hosts.

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:12 PM #60 of 169
Color me surprised here but VGMdb is 22GB? Really?

All that touhou shit.
For the sake of the collection each CD scan must be a 40 MB TIF file.

Also not to be a dick or anything Pang but yeah Miles is a horrible weeaboo but what are his other options? Make entries about his daily life between working his ass off to pay for his place to live, school and this forum or interact with a community of assholes you have little in common with?

Really though you guys are some dickheads.
DID BOTH OF HIS KITTENS DIE OR SOMETHING? I REMEMBER THOSE ENTRIES. THOSE WERE GOOD. THERE WERE KITTENS IN THEM.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:31 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 12:31 PM #61 of 169
Honestly I don't know why attachments weren't disabled ages ago. Does anyone outside CH even use them?
As I recall, a few years ago the community as a whole was asked to not use attachments anymore because of disk space issues. This was around the time that we implemented a rule so as to not allow attachments in the "Post Your *******" type threads and thus we've been using external image hosting since then. More than a few of us have Photobucket, Flickr or (insert imageshack clone name here) accounts for this reason.

So in short: No. I don't think anyone uses them outside of CH.

Which brings me to another question. Was this rule implemented for the sake of allowing attachments in CH or is this sudden ballooning in size fairly recent?

seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:54 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 09:54 PM #62 of 169
Huh? Why would a letter for gamingforce.com affect gamingforce.org? They're on completely different hosts.
It might not affect .org, but what to do should a letter arrive for .com? Pack up and leave again? You make it sound like there's some imminent threat present here which will mean the end of GFF unless My Stuff isn't moved pronto. And considering the bulk of what is shared in there is VGM, that seems quite unlikely to me, knowing how little the copyright proprietors over in Japan seem to care about infringement. I mean last I checked Sarah's hellhole was still online and spewing.

LeHah: Now that you mention it I seem to recall hearing about that particualr piece of drama.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:04 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 04:04 AM #63 of 169
See, the wonderful thing about this is that if shit goes down on .com, it doesn't affect .org. It also doesn't affect the other domains that are hosted here. That's the entire point. We can chug along fine while the .com side does whatever needs to be done. (Note that our last letter was, in fact, not for VGM)

So, are we clear now?

FELIPE NO
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:27 PM #64 of 169
Galbadia Hotel has been down for several months now, I believe.

The point, seanne, is that we are essentially throwing what will be the .com section of the board to the wolves to survive on its own merits. It has its purposes, yes, but it poses a threat to what are seen as more legitimate sections of the community. All these sharing threads and FTPs and attachments et al are unnecessary when bittorrent ummmm exists.

In the now unlikely-seeming event that they actually do give me some authority over Black Market GFF, the first and smartest thing to do would be to crack the fuck down on the nonstop public piracy. But that'll be hard to do. It's ingrained in some people. It's nearly impossible to shut down the behavior, so unfortunately bitches got to get on a boat to Australia.

Originally Posted by Bigblah
Oh by the way removing CH and My Stuff will also remove all their props

Do you love me now
Very well sir it seems that we have a deal

I'm not actually attacking Miles at all, he seems like a decent guy and while he's almost always MIA I know he has plenty of reasons for that. He's a busy guy. That's fine. I'm just saying it's useless to say "oh, that's Miles' responsibility" to a bitching user since when the hell is anyone going to have an opportunity to talk to Miles about a goddamn thing?

Squirrel et al might not strictly be in charge of anything but at least they are informed which is more than most of us can say.

I know Miles brushes off the weeaboo shit without even noticing, anyways

Last edited by The unmovable stubborn; Feb 14, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: plus, he always appears whenever you complain about him not appearing, so
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:47 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 01:47 PM #65 of 169
I have to agree with blah. Moving the trading forums completely removes the risk of our host getting another letter and giving us the boot. That would mean moving 3 whole websites to another location. If the sharing content is hosted on another server then our host wouldn't hear about it and we'd be in the clear. If we're going to accept other websites on our server in order to help cover the $2400 annual cost then it wouldn't be fair to the other 2 if we had to pack our bags and leave because someone on gff.org shared something that pissed off a publisher.

And trust me, I'm really glad that Naka was willing to move SD to our server. His monthly contribution would help a lot in covering the monthly costs.

Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:07 PM #66 of 169
Uh huh so what happens when folks start moving their My Stuff things to their chocojournal like um people have already been doing? What if I want to tell people about what DS flash cartridge to get and list some of the great websites to get DS roms from? Folks link to cracks and torrents in the OS & Software forum to help others out. People who more than likely are using hacked copies of Photoshop and PaintShopPro are making art in Creator's Cafe. Where does it stop?

$2400 annually? Really? That's how much it costs a year to run this server? I think I'll start donating something rather nice if it means GFF actually has significance with you all.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by FatsDomino; Feb 14, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 04:07 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 03:07 PM #67 of 169
There's one point I'd like to bring up, if I may.

In my perspective, the only reason My Stuff and Concert Hall have even existed for this long is because they're hidden from guests, that they're hidden from the general public, and restricting those boards to members-only give a first impression to the record labels cracking down on piracy that we're just another message board and that they shouldn't bother with us, because to them, we're not doing anything illegal.

But - If My Stuff and Concert Hall are going to separate to the .com domain - how do you expect it to survive, what with both boards clearly out in the open for everybody to see?

It's just like Scoremania, those separated film score bootlegging message boards that a few people in My Stuff and I tried to run way back when. Those boards were repeatedly taken down, and the longest streak we had with one iteration of that board was about a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to an MS/CH/community separation, far from it. So long as server space issues are resolved somehow, fine. But I haven't the slightest idea how a separation could work and still prevent the sharing boards from being detected by the RIAA or whomever. Hell, even discussing about it right here in a forum that can be viewed publically is a major risk in itself. If the separated .com domain gets a cease and desist letter or action is taken then - is that just the end for MS/CH or what?

I mean, it's amazing that in all of nine or ten years the sharing boards have been up we've only gotten one DMCA notice and no action has been taken from anybody to shut us down, but.

Last edited by Basil; Feb 14, 2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Or maybe I'm just paranoid about a sharing forums shutdown.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 05:08 PM 2 #68 of 169
Quote:
But - If My Stuff and Concert Hall are going to separate to the .com domain - how do you expect it to survive, what with both boards clearly out in the open for everybody to see?
Muwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

: rings hands together :

Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 05:16 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 04:16 PM 3 #69 of 169
Muwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

: rings hands together :

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:46 AM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 02:46 PM #70 of 169
$2400 annually? Really? That's how much it costs a year to run this server? I think I'll start donating something rather nice if it means GFF actually has significance with you all.
See, and that's the problem right here. 2400 bucks for a videogame message board including a videogame music database is insane.

There are people who have donated hundreds of bucks already (donating seems to be so important that we even have a TOP DONATORS LIST, which is very lol), and yet we always come to a point when we're discussing financial issues once again.

What I don't understand is how people just keep talking about donating this, donating that, instead of just getting rid of the attachments. But yeah, as always, it takes dozens of posts until we get something done here

GFF is still a message board, not a fucking file hosting service.

Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:12 PM #71 of 169
We used to own the house, Mush. Now we're just its renters clawing at the knees of our fellow rentees in order to get by each month.

I like how the idea to have a "how much money 'needed/left to pay' for this month" visual aid at the top of the forums (or at least on the fucking donations page) has not been discussed because that certainly wouldn't be helpful at all.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:16 PM Local time: Feb 15, 2009, 06:16 PM #72 of 169
We used to own the house, Mush. Now we're just its renters clawing at the knees of our fellow rentees in order to get by each month.
Yes. Don't you agree that is a fucking stupid situation?

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:30 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 01:30 AM #73 of 169
There's four regular contributors to the monthly fees now, so we don't have to rely on donations anymore. Speaking personally, I'd rather not, because people have arbitrary expectations of what donations entitle them to.

GFF will be around for the long term. I don't expect we'll even be removing the attachment feature, because attachment usage outside CH is relatively minimal.

Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:03 PM #74 of 169
Speaking personally, Blah, rather we should, because that way we won't be treated like some poor street urchins sucking the sap from the server.

Let's see $2400 divided by 3 (GFF, VGMdb, and SD) = $800. But I'm sure that's probably not right since one of us is probably using more storage than the other and perhaps one of us is probably using more bandwidth than the other. So sure let's throw an extra 100 bucks on top of that just in case.

So $900 divided by 12 = $75. So if I were to donate 75 to 100 bucks a month you're afraid you'd have to treat GFF like equals to VGMdb and SD? Awww... would changing such a status quo and sharing the server cost equally be so frustrating and painful, Blah? I'm sorry if the concept of not being able to slight some poorly hidden contempt our way because of GFF monthly fees being taken care of by GFF members instead of by some group of almost seemingly unrelated shadowy benefactors who graciously allow this place existence upsets you. I really am.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 15, 2009, 01:08 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2009, 02:08 AM 1 #75 of 169
Acer, are you really that upset that Concert Hall doesn't get to use our server space for their attachments? Really now, this move benefits GFF as much as it does our other two domains.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Plans for the future of Gamingforce