Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Plans for the future of Gamingforce

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 03:55 PM #26 of 169
I'm not against attachments as much as I am against their permanence. Attachments from 2006 are likely ignored by now and thus unimportant. Why do we keep them?

If there were a statute on how long attachments remained attached, then we would have a system in which the balance is maintained and the server load would remain at a manageable level instead of the growing monster it is now. I mean, Concert Hall people make requests all the time; if they want an attachment reposted, I doubt they'll hesitate to speak up.

Of course, is there even a way to automatically purge an attachment once it reaches a certain date in age, say six months?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:04 PM #27 of 169
I had seven attachments. I've since deleted them and edited my older posts that had attachments with some bbcode linking to the attachments' new home on my own hosting.

For example:

attachment:
+ [ stafficon-mod.gif ]

BBCode~ if you're interested:
Code:
[size=1][sub]attachment:[/sub][/size]
[size=4][sup]+ [/sup][/size][ [b][url=http://www.thegond.com/gff/attachments/stafficon-mod.gif]stafficon-mod.gif[/url][/b] ]
Just so I can be cool like Pang.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:05 PM 1 #28 of 169
Jesus Christ Pang. These people we're trying to get rid of are the goddamned small pox blankets of the internet. GFF is Fort Pitt. Just throw them out and let them smash against the fortifications while we laugh at how awful they are.
I'm not arguing with that; it just seems wasteful to turn our other holdings into a Hooverville out of some misguided pity.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 04:17 PM 7 #29 of 169

COME ON PANG, DON'T YOU WANT...

THERES BEEN A GODDAMNED...

...OF THESE TYPES ON THIS BOARD FOR AGES NOW.
AND I'M SURE YOU...

SO WHY DON'T YOU...

AND

BECAUSE IN THE END, ITS

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:38 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2009, 02:38 PM #30 of 169
I'm wondering if there's a way we can optimize the image scans over at VGMdb to take up less space, but that's an issue I'll bring up at VGMdb.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:47 PM #31 of 169
Wait... I thought VGMdb was on its own hosting. We're still sharing? =o

How ya doing, buddy?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:53 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 09:53 AM #32 of 169
gamingforce.com isn't exactly a noble URL. It was and will always be known for filesharing. That's why I'm moving those forums back there, since I like to think our community has outgrown that.

Acer, we're pretty much piggybacking on the VGMdb server. Did you think we had the money to pay for two dedicated servers?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:55 PM #33 of 169
Can Bender stay? I can understand it if it's not possible, however.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:38 PM #34 of 169
gamingforce.com isn't exactly a noble URL. It was and will always be known for filesharing. That's why I'm moving those forums back there, since I like to think our community has outgrown that.
I guess. I wasn't quite sure what we'd do with the .com anyway so I guess that's as good as anything. =|

Acer, we're pretty much piggybacking on the VGMdb server.
Piggybacking VGMdb? Wut? VGMdb is a neat project and all but last I recall people round these parts donate and fund this server primarily for GFF. I could have sworn VGMdb was split from GFF to do its own thing for this and other reasons; not being associated with a thieves' playground being one of them. Really, I bet noone would raise an eyebrow if Wikipedia and Mininova were on the same server. =/

Did you think we had the money to pay for two dedicated servers?
No, I wasn't aware that we needed the money to pay for two dedicated servers. Silly me.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:50 PM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 10:50 AM #35 of 169
Donations ran out a while ago. Right now we're paying for the server out of our own pockets. To be frank, the admins are primarily paying for VGMdb.

I could have sworn VGMdb was split from GFF to do its own thing for this and other reasons; not being associated with a thieves' playground being one of them. Really, I bet noone would raise an eyebrow if Wikipedia and Mininova were on the same server. =/

Yeah, what do you think I'm trying to accomplish by moving My Stuff as well (they don't use attachments).

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:01 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2009, 08:01 PM 1 #36 of 169
I don't like the idea of nuking attachments. I like having a file permanently available on a post. imgshack and such hosts can go sour, and it's not like I'm making sure I'm saving every single image or attachment I put in a post.

I usually host to img tag, then attach as well, for the sake of preservation.

Most amazing jew boots
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:27 AM 1 #37 of 169
Donations ran out a while ago. Right now we're paying for the server out of our own pockets.
I think folks would be more inclined to donate if they knew how much money was needed every month and/or how much money was left to pay each month.

Maybe something like this~

Pulled that shit from bitgamer btw

To be frank, the admins are primarily paying for VGMdb.
Good to know. =/

Yeah, what do you think I'm trying to accomplish by moving My Stuff as well (they don't use attachments).
I think you're trying to make more space for VGMdb and SD (whatever the fuck that is) because apparently the admins could give two half pennies about GFF.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:30 AM #38 of 169
SD is SlightlyDark.

Most amazing jew boots
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:31 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 01:31 PM #39 of 169
SD is SlightlyDark.

Concert Hall and My Stuff are our biggest liabilities right now. Although we've had only one DMCA takedown notice so far, I'm fairly certain our host won't take kindly to future notices.

Got any more snark to add? I know I'm not the best GFF cheerleader around but I'm the one getting shit done here.

FELIPE NO
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:10 AM #40 of 169
We've all more or less banded together here because it's what made the most sense financially.

I don't think that Blah is implying that the GFF admins don't care about GFF. What he's saying is that the majority of the server's bill is paid by VGMdb staff, and has been for a while now. Much of the staff is common to here too, so it's not an issue. Naka offered to move SlightlyDark over to our hosting so that he could start contributing to the server bill, and lower the monthly tab for the rest of the regular contributors.

Now that I've seen more of the story, I agree that moving the "pirate" parts of the board to other hosting is the best solution. It's not just about disc space, though running out of space may have sped things up.

Slightly Dark -- updated weekly with rare out-of-print game music.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:14 AM 5 #41 of 169
While obviously these decisions are down to whoever's paying the bills, I don't think it's unreasonable to be somewhat agitated at the notion that the board essentially exists at the pleasure of VGMdb (of all things), that the community is considered less important than an overblown card catalogue.

How did that even happen? VGMdb appears to be several months younger than this iteration of GFF so exactly at what point did it become "VGMdb's server"? Was there a big ceremony with handing over the keys to Squirrel and all that.

By all means you do whatever you have to, I just think it's a little underhanded that this has all suddenly come out now. "O hey, incidentally, Kaleb owns you guys."

How ya doing, buddy?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:15 AM #42 of 169
Nope. Go ahead and prune like ya please. We'll still be here after your done. Maybe.

really blah i hope you understand where i'm coming from b/c jesus christ sometimes man sometimes

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:41 AM #43 of 169
I'm with Pang on wondering when, exactly, Gamingforce became second banana to VGMdb. It's not like GFF is going to be wiped off the planet because VGMdb hates us or anything, but it would've been nice to know (or it'll be nice to hear clarification) when this happened.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:44 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 02:44 PM #44 of 169
Oh, please. The effort to split the two forums from GFF is barely worth it as it is. I know most of you have never administered anything other than Dreamhost's one-click MediaWiki install but trust me, this shit isn't trivial.

Since you're all upset that GFF apparently isn't top on my list of priorities, maybe someone would like to step up and take over. I'm tired of this song and dance.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:51 AM #45 of 169
Don't pin this on me, Pangalin. Miles is in charge of finances for both Gamingforce and VGMdb.

I don't think it's in our best interests financially to split. It's going to hurt us both, and we'll both be scrambling to find new support.

Slightly Dark -- updated weekly with rare out-of-print game music.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:53 AM #46 of 169
Oh, please. The effort to split the two forums from GFF is barely worth it as it is. I know most of you have never administered anything other than Dreamhost's one-click MediaWiki install but trust me, this shit isn't trivial.

Since you're all upset that GFF apparently isn't top on my list of priorities, maybe someone would like to step up and take over. I'm tired of this song and dance.
Your tone aside, Blah, I get your point. I'll stand back.

As long as GFF isn't going anywhere, I'm happy.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by value tart; Feb 14, 2009 at 02:01 AM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:55 AM #47 of 169
Don't pin this on me, Pangalin. Miles is in charge of finances for both Gamingforce and VGMdb.
Yeah but it's no fun to pin things on him because he's always too busy making journal entries about my Japanese teacher!! to notice

edit: and then traveling to Japan

edit: to buy video games

edit: and making journal entries about buying video games in japan

edit: not even japan-exclusive games or anything

edit: just rpgs and shit

FELIPE NO
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:01 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 03:01 PM 4 #48 of 169
THE ADMINS ARE DOING SOMETHING THAT IS ALIGNED WITH MY INTERESTS

I WILL NOW PROCEED TO INSULT THEM

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:08 AM #49 of 169
Yes, but you'll do this aligned-with-my-interests thing whether I insult you or not, because "my interests" are not even remotely the actual motivation.

so free

to fly

to spit on those below

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:31 AM Local time: Feb 14, 2009, 03:31 PM #50 of 169
Pang doing his battered wife impersonation now

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Plans for the future of Gamingforce