Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Issue with Attachments

Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:51 AM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 12:51 AM 2 #1 of 55
The Issue with Attachments

Some of you may have seen the thread from SB. In case you ignored it or weren't there, here it is again. My idea is to have all of the various attachments on Concerthall (sheetmusic, etc) hosted offline, so as there isn't as much stress on the admins and the server. Miles even made a journal entry about the problem and there are plenty of people here that don't take too kindly to the problem, so to speak.

Also, there needs to be more intelligent discussion in here. The majority of people come here, request something, get it, and never participate in discussion. Or, they come here, request something, request it again, whine about not getting it yet, request another upload site, etc. Sure, downloading sheetmusic or recordings is good, but what about discussing what you're getting? Our community is deteriorating because of this. The other sections have lots and lots of discussion. But why not this one? Thoughts?

Also, remember that the #concerthall IRC channel is a great place for music discussion.

Additional Spam:
55 views and no thoughts? The lack of discussion in this thread highlights one of my points exactly.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"Give up on Beethoven... You've got Stockhausen now." --- Miles Davis

Interactive Collaborative Concert Hall Radio!

Last edited by Buckwalt; Feb 16, 2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Hi, My Name Is Hito
A slime draws near!

Member 304

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:34 PM 2 #2 of 55
The fact that this thread has been ignored until now speaks volumes. Those that frequent the Musician's Library are clearly not interested in change. Speak your mind if you object, otherwise change will be implemented without your consent and surely you'll bitch to no end then.

I, for one, feel that attachments should be disabled and all file-hosting done somewhere else. A running index of what has been posted can be made and maintained and requests to re-upload can be posted. Similarly, for those of you that are as adamant and hardcore about this as you seem to be, why not take your own damned money and pay for your own server so that you can leech and allow leeching as much as you want? Please, this shit isn't cheap and I'm frankly surprised that it's gone on as long as it has without complaining.

Really, though, when TWO threads greatly contribute to a delay in uploading information, that says something.

Be a little more considerate, at least.

Also, where are our mods and why isn't this thread marked important and stickied?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Hi, My Name Is Hito; Feb 16, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:42 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 03:42 PM #3 of 55
Also, look at the amount of dead threads in the Listening Room, and even Musician's Library. The whole Listening Room is dead, actually. When the "Identify the Composer" thread was active, and maybe some of the others, it was better. But now it seems that mindless leeching has taken over. There needs to be some serious attention to this situation before Concerthall gets overrun even more with leechers and a lack of discussion.

Most amazing jew boots

Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 05:53 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 06:53 PM #4 of 55
hey maybe they thought they could get some sheet music, this is a serious issue, but it won't be easy to solve either... I mean concerthall has had its ups and downs but it still was mainly about exchange so it's about time something happens to make the situation better, but to be honest Concerthall is already overrun by leechers I rarely post any requests or anything different since I don't share interests with the majority of the userbase of this forum, or better yet none.

As much as I hate to say this, concerthall is the reason I ended up here, at some point I was one mindless leech that lurked for quite a long time and I still practically do that(lurking, leeching not as much) but solving the attachment issue is the best way I can think of making things better.

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:00 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 05:00 PM 3 #5 of 55
I see no reason why these kids can't learn to use an FTP like the rest of us did.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dbin
Formerly known as...er....Dbin

Member 1741

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:03 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 11:03 PM #6 of 55
Personally I think we'd do well to shift attachments to another location or FTP since it's unfair to expect the rest of GFF to accept our space requirements when most of us (myself included) don't contribute anywhere else on the site.

I also think the rather holier-than-thou stance adopted by many of those pressing the issue might be putting some people off. Plenty of people here only want to be active in the sheet music and recordings threads, and the fact is the moderating team, especially Face, have given their reasons (numerous times) for not wanting to force a change.

If people without any power here want to try to inspire change, that's all well and good, but I rather feel "Come on this is IMPORTANT why aren't you talking about this you morons?" style threads aren't going to get much done.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Composers shouldn't think too much - it interferes with their plagiarism.

--Howard Dietz--
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:14 PM #7 of 55
Okay, I'm moving this to Board Support where more people will see it and leaving a redirect just in case for more Concert Hall goers to join in this discussion.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:24 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 12:24 AM 3 #8 of 55
The condition of my hands won't allow me to make any long posts right now, but I have to say this is a bothersome and somewhat complex issue. It's not like I haven't looked into it and tried to solve it before, but the results never met my expectations.

Just don't forget there's two sides to this argument. Yes, such an amount of mindless leeching on a forum striving for quality discussion is bothersome. Yes, few leechers actually show any gratitude or even courtesy towards the favour that GFF is doing them, and some are just outright disrespectful (cf. the Tsobanian incident during the downtime).

Yet, on the other hand, the little VGM-centered sheet music sharing community that CH used to be would probably never have expanded this much were it not for our "acceptance" of leeching and the availability of attachment space. During the time it grew with little regulation, CH attracted countless leechers, but also dozens and dozens of valid contributors, whose gathering made the appearance of some pretty rare and interesting stuff possible.

I've always thought of leeching as a necessary evil. If for 100 leechers we get one boonsen or one Lousy, then by all means it is worth it.

I've also come to accept that not everybody is actually interested in discussing anything, and that trying to force people into it would yield poor results. So long as people contribute to the community, both words and files are fine. Recently my reasoning has been that if we want the discussion side of CH to develop, it ought to be carried forward by a few core members (Dull, you two, Wafer et al.), hopefully with the random passer-by joining up now and then. I believe many people have the potential to be interested but just stop at the "whatever, this place looks dead" first impression. Better prove them otherwise, especially now that GFF is back in business for good.

As for the attachments themselves, I don't think they'd actually be that much of a problem were it not for the indifference or lack of courtesy towards GFF shown by many concerthallers. I'd rather work on the latter part than remove the attachments altogether.

Damn, this came out longer than I intended.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:29 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 03:29 PM #9 of 55
And how would any of those things change if files were simply hosted off-site, Face?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:31 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 04:31 PM #10 of 55
As for the attachments themselves, I don't think they'd actually be that much of a problem were it not for the indifference or lack of courtesy towards GFF shown by many concerthallers. I'd rather work on the latter part than remove the attachments altogether.
Did you happen to see Miles' journal entry? If he has a problem with it, clearly it is an important problem. I think both the indifference and lack of courtesy and the problem with the large attachments both need to be worked on. We're using up like 25GB! How much do you think the other parts of GFF are using up? Nowhere near as much. I don't think it's fair, even if there is no issue with space. And besides, the recordings are hosted off line. Why not the sheetmusic? People download both things about equally, and no one has complained about the recordings being hosted off line.

Most amazing jew boots

Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:44 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 12:44 AM 1 1 #11 of 55
The thing is, after the last two or three crashes, I asked the administration each time about the sheet music attachments, suggesting they be hosted off-site if space was an issue. And, each time, I was told it wasn't, that they could be kept on-site. And suddenly this becomes a huge problem and we're under fire. Make up your minds, guys.

As for me, eh, I don't care either way, since I was about to resign from moderation as soon as GFF was restored anyway. So I guess I'll let you guys have fun with this mess.

How ya doing, buddy?

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:45 PM #12 of 55
I've left a 10 day announcement throughout Concert Hall and Other Requests in light of the redirect getting bumped off the planet.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Traumatized Rat
Final Fantasy VI

Member 294

Level 31.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:50 PM #13 of 55
Well, we know that Miles, the site owner, who pays for the server out of pocket, is unhappy with the amount of bandwidth being taken up by sheet music. In all other parts of the forums, attachments are managed by FTPs and sites devoted to providing free bandwidth for file transfers.

When Miles addresses his concerns about the amount of bandwidth he has to pay for, people in here start accusing him of being 'disrespectful' and get all butthurt. This place isn't free. He has a right to be annoyed.

I think the biggest problem GFF at large has with the concerthall is how it is its own separate little community within a community, i.e. there is no link between the Concerthall and greater GFF aside from the shared webspace. They really feel that the concerthall forum should really have its own website and server, and be run by a separate owner and staff. In fact, when the forums were still paid for by bobo, Minion had tried to sever the concerthall from GFF at large and turn it into a unique community free of the larger boards.

When people here are using a large percentage of the communities resources and they don't invest any money, it can really create a bad vibe. You know, people who aren't contributing to the community in any way, are the biggest bitches when their resources are no longer available. Can you understand the frustration here? I mean I try to defend the concerthall community as necessary, but it becomes increasingly difficult in light of this sort of behavior.

The obvious solutions are 1) All of you cheap bastards donate money to help pay for the server costs (it costs $40 just for one urtext, so that shouldn't be such a big deal 2) Find ways to host the sheet music offsite and be smart enough to figure out how to access FTPs. Geez louise, it isn't THAT hard to do. 3) Split off and start a separate community. You'll have to pony up cash but this might be a great arrangement.

thoughts.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Buckwalt
Zurück vom Ring!

Member 485

Level 42.59

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 06:51 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 04:51 PM 1 #14 of 55
I've left a 10 day announcement throughout Concert Hall and Other Requests in light of the redirect getting bumped off the planet.
Thanks for that. People there need to see it and God knows how many threads would have bumped it off and this thread would be even more ignored than it already is.

The thing is, after the last two or three crashes, I asked the administration each time about the sheet music attachments, suggesting they be hosted off-site if space was an issue. And, each time, I was told it wasn't, that they could be kept on-site. And suddenly this becomes a huge problem and we're under fire. Make up your minds, guys.
Well, the library of attachments has grown exponentially since the last few crashes occurred. There have been many contributors, many of them who have posted tons and tons and tons just by themselves. I remember when I first came to GFF, the sheet music section was nowhere as large as it is today. I could see how it wasn't a problem then. But now I think it is getting out of hand and some change needs to occur.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:01 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 06:01 PM #15 of 55
I personally don't care if the concert hall people want to leech all day long. That's fine with me. That's the culture of this part of the boards. But I can't see why it would be so hard to FTP this stuff.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dbin

Member 1741

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:18 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 12:18 AM #16 of 55
Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but wasn't there once an announcement about not posting anything that hadn't been specifically requested? Of course sometimes the only way to find new music to play/listen to is to get something you didn't even know existed, but I found that worked well enough when the sheet music community was smaller and there weren't so many attachments all over the place.

There's been a spate recently of people who contribute a LOT - but I mean megabyte after megabyte of unrequested sheet music, musicology texts, and even some things that are pretty worthless (in most circumstances) as posted - violin sonata parts without the piano accompaniment, for example.

While the flood of stuff has been good for those of us in the Concert Hall looking for anything new, the trade-off has been that it all takes up space, and we've hit the sharp edge of that now.

Additionally, Face, if you're still planning on resigning your moderator status, I'm sorry to hear it and I'd like to say thank you for the patience and fairness you've shown in dealing with all the Concert Hall problems.

--Howard Dietz--
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:19 PM #17 of 55
So their opinion changing between the last crash and this one constitutes not being able to make up your mind? Perhaps if you asked Miles more than once a year it might not seem all that sudden.

To be honest, unless Miles comes out and basically says "There is too much of this shit, PLEASE move it off site", I could really care less since I don't go to Concert Hall. On the other hand, if you guys like these forums so much, wouldn't it make sense to try to make the experience better by moving at least SOME of it offsite?

Most amazing jew boots
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:25 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 06:25 PM 1 #18 of 55
I agree with Deni and Rat - most of the FTP community knows beforehand that if you want something you post it to sendspace or browse an FTP. Can you imagine what kind of bandwidth this place would accumulate if the MyStuff posters posted their stuff as attachments?

It's not hard to use an FTP server at all whether you're hosting or browsing. If everyone else can do this with no problem, concert hall should be able to do the same if only for the sake of keeping the boards alive and being a bit more lax for the owners of the site so everyone has the opportunity to post and share.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Dubble; Feb 16, 2008 at 07:27 PM.
Traumatized Rat
Final Fantasy VI

Member 294

Level 31.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:28 PM #19 of 55
Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but wasn't there once an announcement about not posting anything that hadn't been specifically requested? Of course sometimes the only way to find new music to play/listen to is to get something you didn't even know existed, but I found that worked well enough when the sheet music community was smaller and there weren't so many attachments all over the place.

There's been a spate recently of people who contribute a LOT - but I mean megabyte after megabyte of unrequested sheet music, musicology texts, and even some things that are pretty worthless (in most circumstances) as posted - violin sonata parts without the piano accompaniment, for example.

While the flood of stuff has been good for those of us in the Concert Hall looking for anything new, the trade-off has been that it all takes up space, and we've hit the sharp edge of that now.

Additionally, Face, if you're still planning on resigning your moderator status, I'm sorry to hear it and I'd like to say thank you for the patience and fairness you've shown in dealing with all the Concert Hall problems.
Listen, JRE started this thread because we're trying to come up with a SOLUTION here. When something is decided, there will be an announcement. Btw, parts are not useless. A violin part for a Sonata is great for a violin part. String players don't care about the piano part while trying to read through heaps of sheet music. That is for the pianist to worry about.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dbin

Member 1741

Level 15.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:38 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 12:38 AM #20 of 55
Listen, JRE started this thread because we're trying to come up with a SOLUTION here. When something is decided, there will be an announcement. Btw, parts are not useless. A violin part for a Sonata is great for a violin part. String players don't care about the piano part while trying to read through heaps of sheet music. That is for the pianist to worry about.
I said 'pretty worthless in most circumstances', not 'totally worthless altogether', and like you say, we're looking for a solution so I'm unsure why you're trying to school me on performance practice. Since I happen to have an MA in music performance the attempt isn't needed or appreciated.

You're part of the problem I had with the attempts to stimulate discussion that were going on before the recent crash, since you'd post in a discussion thread but also add something like 'Keep uninformed and idiotic opinions out of this thread'. I'd imagine there were more than a few cases where people didn't bother posting anything at all since they didn't want you immediately jumping down their throats in an overserious and overcritical manner (like you did just now, as it happens).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

--Howard Dietz--
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:40 PM #21 of 55
As for me, eh, I don't care either way, since I was about to resign from moderation as soon as GFF was restored anyway. So I guess I'll let you guys have fun with this mess.
Enjoy your resignation, Face. And try to be mindful of your health, and don't make long posts over things you have no opinion on when your hands are recovering.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 07:57 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 08:57 AM 4 #22 of 55
Bandwidth (or transfer) is not the issue. In fact we have even more of it now that we've switched hosts.

Disk space is actually getting tight since we're at 73% usage (it's another 30 dollars per month if we want to tack on another 50GB) but VGMdb is also using its fair share, so I'm not complaining there.

This issue is actually quite simple, there's no need to overcomplicate it. Miles is annoyed at having to upload 26GB, so he makes a journal entry about it. I'm annoyed at the attitude displayed by some Concert Hall members (and so are some of the regulars), so we reply to it. Now that all the stuff is uploaded and GFF is back and running, the issue just boils down to the fact that we could actually run out of disk space with all these attachments, and it's time you guys found an alternative solution.

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:02 PM Local time: Feb 16, 2008, 06:02 PM 2 #23 of 55
I've been thinking about what I wanted to do about the attachments to save space (especially since we're currently limited to 50GB of space on this server). I could either just fork out the extra 30 dollars a month to gain an additional 50GB of space for our server or I can start deleting older threads or attachments from the concert hall. I like the 2nd idea a bit better because if we can manage off of 50GB for awhile it would save me an additional 30 dollars a month. I would like to up our server space eventually as vgmdb grows but for now I think we could live off the 50GB for at least a year or two.

Right now GFF's attachments alone currently take up about 21GB of our total server space, and I bet a majority of those are attachments that are from 6+ month old posts in concert hall that aren't even being read anymore. If we cleared out attachments in concert hall that are 6+ months old it would probably free up a huge amount of space. Bandwidth being consumed to download these attachments doesn't do much damage at all. We have a 3000GB monthly bandwidth limit here and in the past with LayeredTech that was 1,600. And we never had any overage fees.

FELIPE NO
Traumatized Rat
Final Fantasy VI

Member 294

Level 31.22

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:03 PM #24 of 55
I said 'pretty worthless in most circumstances', not 'totally worthless altogether', and like you say, we're looking for a solution so I'm unsure why you're trying to school me on performance practice. Since I happen to have an MA in music performance the attempt isn't needed or appreciated.
LOL U HAVE TO DGREEZ INTERNET IS SERIUS BUZINESS ETC. Lighten up a bit, champ.

Quote:
You're part of the problem I had with the attempts to stimulate discussion that were going on before the recent crash, since you'd post in a discussion thread but also add something like 'Keep uninformed and idiotic opinions out of this thread'. I'd imagine there were more than a few cases where people didn't bother posting anything at all since they didn't want you immediately jumping down their throats in an overserious and overcritical manner (like you did just now, as it happens).
People said some pretty stupid and ignorant things, and additionally, people started posting a lot more when they were provoked into using their brains.

Truthfully, I speak tongue in cheek a lot but I do get tired of the negative attitude of a lot of musicians, both composers and performers, MAs or not. You don't believe me, go read that computer assisted composition thread. I spent most of my time reading responses being permanently in **facepalm** mode. If you have a real personal issue, you can just PM me about it but this really isn't the place to discuss this sort of thing.

So ya, I still think that moving the concerthall to a separate server that is in no way affiliated with GFF, is a potentially valid solution. I haven't heard many responses on this front, but if anything, Dbin's response is a really accurate reflection of how the general attitude demeanour of concerthall posters drastically differs from that of the rest of the community. I'm not saying this is the answer, but I'm just putting the idea forward to see how people both from the Concerthall and GFF as a larger community feel about this.

Edit: Hey Miles, what about moving sheet music attachments into Private FTPs or maybe integrating the Sheet Music into your VGM db project in some way? I mean if you are going to start removing sheet music attachments, perhaps you should give people a week to acquire everything they want before it is removed?

Last edited by Traumatized Rat; Feb 16, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Mersenne
The Red Priest

Member 2697

Level 38.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 16, 2008, 08:07 PM Local time: Feb 17, 2008, 12:07 PM 1 #25 of 55
Split from GFF:

+ 95% CH's don't venture outside CH or give a care for the rest of GFF.
+ Relieves huge burden on GFF admin and servers.
+ Easier to manage a smaller community. Streamlined admin and decision making process. Less consultation required for any changes.
+ In the long run more reliable downloads than FTP or file sharing sites/programs.
+ Allows room for growth and more freedom of options.
+ General enthusiasm and support?

- Requires a person or persons to pay for and manage a server.
- GFF staff and Blah (especially Blah) provides amazing (very amazing) technical support. Will be incredibly hard to find someone of equal calibre.
- A separate Concert Hall will take a good month to establish and possibly much longer to recreate the same setup and features as current GFF.

I'm all for a split, but the question arises... who PAYS?

Also, since money is an issue (it always is), why haven't we brought up a discussion on possible donation schemes?

the issue just boils down to the fact that we could actually run out of disk space with all these attachments, and it's time you guys found an alternative solution.

How ya doing, buddy?

BACH 2012 | Music Show | Into The Music | Proust's Cookie | Blogs
Boston Review - The Sound of Philosophy | The Rest Is Noise - I Hate Classical Music

Last edited by Mersenne; Feb 16, 2008 at 08:10 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > The Issue with Attachments