Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Psalms of Planets Eureka seveN

aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 12:07 AM #26 of 161
T_T...CN yet again, RAPES another anime...they cut the op and end to about 20 seconds each...left out the ep preview, and all and all, just raped it...
I will have to say, they must have gettin a dif guy from the voice in the trailer, because he no longer sounds gay, and has a slir. All in all, the voices arent bad, most of the sounds fit the charaters so far, but as with most anime, that acting could be stronger. its not too bad though. Although, i dont like Eureka's voice too much, its abit more gruff that she is, they might first that as she softens alittle. Meh...and i dont like the 'lifting' i liked 'reffing' much better. but other than that, i would watch it in english, but i would rather watch the japanese.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:35 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 10:35 PM #27 of 161
I dunno if you can blame OP and ED cuts on CN, really. It seems to really just be more of a product of American TV than anything else. Most Asian shows seem to let the credits run for the full duration, each and every time. On American shows, the credits are often minimalized (how many series get an actual introduction sequence for every episode?) and sometimes even play second fiddle to advertisements, which run alongside the credits.

Consider anime runs in Japan with just that one commercial break and that shows here run with two, it's reasonable that there'd be scrimping here and there. I guess.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:46 AM #28 of 161
The artists that perform the songs also don't have US labels. Adult Swim can't legally air the full songs on US television.

The dubs alright. It's decent, but that's it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:42 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 10:42 AM #29 of 161
Bah, I've been searching for ages and I can't find the Dub episode anywhere for viewing (Being in the UK, it'll be like never before ES shows up on uk tv).

I was speaking idiomatically.
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 07:39 AM #30 of 161
The dub was decent, although the "lifting" thing is going to annoy me to no end. The sign at the shop where Renton takes his board says "Ref Shop" in English, yet the translators still decided lifting was better. It sounds like he's doing weight training.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 08:40 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 09:40 AM #31 of 161
Spoiler:
Does anyone else think that it absolutely royally sucked that Charles and Ray had to die just because they dwelt too much in the past, without considering their futures?
Also, why do you suppose that they blamed Eureka for Ray's inability to concieve?

FELIPE NO
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:54 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 09:54 AM #32 of 161
Originally Posted by Conan-the-3rd
Bah, I've been searching for ages and I can't find the Dub episode anywhere for viewing (Being in the UK, it'll be like never before ES shows up on uk tv).
well, you can watch it online for free, i think its at adultswim.com or somthing, i cant remeber, i will get back to you on it
Originally Posted by ANN
Anime Village Returns with Free Eureka 7 Episode (2006-03-31 16:55:44)
The first episode of Eureka 7 will be streamed free for a week beginning April 16, courtesy of Bandai's newly revived AnimeVillage.com. The episode will also be availalbe for purchase and download. “To be able offer free streaming for one week is a tremendous value to our fans and customers and it is part of our plan to introduce legal digital distribution, which is very important to our business,” said Ken Iyadomi, President of Bandai Entertainment.
well it says it will be up tomorrow

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by aku; Apr 16, 2006 at 09:57 AM.
Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:33 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 04:33 PM #33 of 161
You see the thing is, Adult Swim, probably for the sake of pissing off the few fans that do live outside america, can't air anything via the online stream. For the sake of argument, I will assume this anime villiage will also be an "America only" thing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Apr 16, 2006 at 10:35 AM.
Great Antibob
Wark!

Member 1922

Level 3.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:17 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 11:17 AM #34 of 161
The dub was pretty good, actually. No worse than the Japanese acting, at the very least. I'm wondering where the complaining is coming from.

Adult Swim typically shortens the OP and ED of series, anyway. So, why is it a surprise that it happened again? It's not a matter of rights. The licensing rights typically come with the rights to use popular music. It's really a matter of extending commerical time. At least it's better than replacing the OP and ED with some piece of trash by a no-talent band.

"Reefer" is a slang term for marijuana (which, I imagine, the Japanese writers knew). Do you seriously think the translators were going to let that one slip?

Why the complaints? First, Bandai didn't have to make the show available in the US. So, we should be glad it actually got here. Second, they could have produced a horrible dub. On the contrary, it looks like the Japanese parent company gave them some notes on how to do the translation and dubbing, so it's actually pretty good. Third, Adult Swim is only responsible for airing it and shortening the OP and ED (which they've been doing for......years), so whining about them is pointless.

If you didn't like it, at least make some valid complaints. Most of the whining seems to be typical fanboy whining. And even most of that is typical fanboy whining of the last 20 years, stuff that is no longer true, by and large (quality of dub, complaints about translations, judging stuff after 1 episode, etc.). Especially the complaints about Adult Swim. They didn't do the dub. They only aired it. It's not like they're out to piss people off deliberately. They try really hard to make anime more accessible, and the fanboys really make it difficult to get shows aired sometimes.

Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:22 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 09:22 PM #35 of 161
Originally Posted by Conan-the-3rd
You see the thing is, Adult Swim, probably for the sake of pissing off the few fans that do live outside america, can't air anything via the online stream. For the sake of argument, I will assume this anime villiage will also be an "America only" thing.
and true to call, I was right, thank you very much bandai for making sure I can't see this.

Seriously, Torrent or somthin, people.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 03:53 PM #36 of 161
http://www.mininova.org/tor/283921
BINGO! thats cartoon palace for yeah, ripping it from TV and shareing it with you and me
http://70.189.119.190:6969/ for all of their releases...they release everything that airs over here, in english...its kinda nice

Last edited by aku; Apr 19, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:56 PM #37 of 161
Originally Posted by Great Antibob
"Reefer" is a slang term for marijuana (which, I imagine, the Japanese writers knew). Do you seriously think the translators were going to let that one slip?
The term is "reffing", though, not "reefing" or "reefering", so there's no confusing it with drugs. Again, if the word is printed out in English in the original show, and it's not offensive, why would the translators feel the need to put an entirely different word in, and a stupid one at that?

Great Antibob
Wark!

Member 1922

Level 3.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:10 PM Local time: Apr 19, 2006, 10:10 PM #38 of 161
Originally Posted by nuttyturnip
The term is "reffing", though, not "reefing" or "reefering", so there's no confusing it with drugs. Again, if the word is printed out in English in the original show, and it's not offensive, why would the translators feel the need to put an entirely different word in, and a stupid one at that?
It's close enough, don't you think?

There are cases when the words the Japanese use are completely inappropriate in English. Some cases show up in print. That doesn't mean they should be translated. This is part of a general "what makes up a good translation?" debate. No 100% accurate translation is ever possible. Sometimes, the most accurate translation would give you literal accuracy at the expense of the meaning of the statement (jokes, for example).

Further, you cannot just assume that Bandai Entertainment (US subsidiary of Bandai) hired translators that deliberately changed the word. It is entirely possible that Bandai (in Japan) told Bandai Entertainment (Bandai in US) to translate reffing to lifting. It wouldn't be the first time.

Prime example: "Angel" in Evangelion. This wasn't really the most direct translation of the word used in the Japanese broadcast. However, this is the word Gainax insisted ADV use.

Bandai itself definitely has a history of insisting on particular translations of certain words/phrases and even on particular English spellings of particular things (see the entire Gundam franchise for this).

This particular change wasn't stupid (unless you've already watched the show, then WTF? why are you being so nitpicky?). And it is likely that it was forced onto the translators. In any case, I think that it is part of a general generic series of complaints that would have shown up in just about any dub. Take out the specifics (names, particular words, etc.) and the general complaints are the same ones fanboys use for any dub/translation.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:31 AM #39 of 161
Originally Posted by Great Antibob (edited)
There are cases when the words the Japanese use are completely inappropriate in English. Some cases show up in print. That doesn't mean they should be translated. This is part of a general "what makes up a good translation?" debate. No 100% accurate translation is ever possible. Sometimes, the most accurate translation would give you literal accuracy at the expense of the meaning of the statement (jokes, for example).

Further, you cannot just assume that Bandai Entertainment (US subsidiary of Bandai) hired translators that deliberately changed the word. It is entirely possible that Bandai (in Japan) told Bandai Entertainment (Bandai in US) to translate reffing to lifting. It wouldn't be the first time.

This particular change wasn't stupid (unless you've already watched the show, then WTF? why are you being so nitpicky?). And it is likely that it was forced onto the translators. In any case, I think that it is part of a general generic series of complaints that would have shown up in just about any dub. Take out the specifics (names, particular words, etc.) and the general complaints are the same ones fanboys use for any dub/translation.
No, "reffing" isn't close enough to "reefer" to be confused. If Bandai Japan chose this translation, then they obviously don't know enough about English. The only thing "reffing" could be confused with is "refereeing" as in the impartial official in a sports match. "Lifting" on the other hand is easily confused with "weightlifting", and I can't help but picture Renton benchpressing 300Ibs when I hear him say how excited he is about "lifting".

Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the dub. You're right, there are always going to be nitpicky complaints about any translation, but usually it's just fanboys who have already seen the show complaining about something a new viewer wouldn't notice (i.e., Winly vs. Winry). I'd be interested to know what people new to Eureka Seven think of "lifting".

How ya doing, buddy?
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:26 PM #40 of 161
Quote:
I'd be interested to know what people new to Eureka Seven think of "lifting".
I think it sounds completely fine. I got the first DVD, and have yet to see the dub, but in the subtitles they say lifting. Doesn't bother me at all. I never even thought twice about it.

aku
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 164

Level 20.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:29 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 02:29 PM #41 of 161
Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku
I think it sounds completely fine. I got the first DVD, and have yet to see the dub, but in the subtitles they say lifting. Doesn't bother me at all. I never even thought twice about it.
Thats because you are rich and dont have to go and dl everything, before you buy it you just buy it if the hype hits you right...(not trying to attack you there, just a bit of friendly finger pointing ;p)
You havnt had the expirience of the past 35 episodes it being called reffing. It would be kinda like if they redubbed eva(because i know you would probly buy it :-p), and they called the entry plug a tube or somthing. Reffing is sposted to have been taken from surffing, so they might have been trying to be creative and used a word that closely resembered surffing in english...

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:32 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 08:32 PM #42 of 161
Originally Posted by aku
http://www.mininova.org/tor/283921
BINGO! thats cartoon palace for yeah, ripping it from TV and shareing it with you and me
http://70.189.119.190:6969/ for all of their releases...they release everything that airs over here, in english...its kinda nice
Damn, my use of "Seven" screws me over!

YOU WIN THIS ROUND, ENGLISH!

OK, onto the episode propper, and we have a realy nice sorta way of doing things, Everyone sounds ok, Renton's a bit stuffy but otherwise...
Oh, and Matheu gets that guy who did Henry Wong in tamers, figures.

Last edited by Conan-the-3rd; Apr 21, 2006 at 03:59 AM.
Sirmackerel
Persona

Member 3968

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:38 PM #43 of 161
Originally Posted by a_priori
Spoiler:
Does anyone else think that it absolutely royally sucked that Charles and Ray had to die just because they dwelt too much in the past, without considering their futures?
Also, why do you suppose that they blamed Eureka for Ray's inability to concieve?
Spoiler:
The Seven Swell, which was (presumably) caused by the Nirvash and Eureka, caused Ray to become unable to conceive. So, it's understandable for her to blame Eureka.

And, yeah, it kinda sucked to see such awesome characters die so soon. Still, at least they went out with a bang.

The dub sounds awesome so far. If you check out the cast list at Anime News Network, the cast for the Gekko-go crew members is very solid - Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Kirk Thorton, Dave Mallow, Crispin Freeman ( ), Bob Papenbrook (R.I.P man...)...

How ya doing, buddy?
Memento mori
Cogito, ergo summ
Pense, done je suis,
Remember that you are mortal.

http://www.konamistars.com/konamista...dg8zI6mbHVIXkw
Join the Konami RPG Stars!

Last edited by Sirmackerel; Apr 21, 2006 at 07:40 PM.
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 02:25 AM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 03:25 PM #44 of 161
I gotta say that I am quite impressed with E7's english dub~
Although Renton's voice seems a bit too 'grown-up'? and Eureka's a bit to sharp/high

W00t, I might want to but the official English DVD when it comes out now, if they keep up with the quality dub.

Conan-the-3rd

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 09:07 PM #45 of 161
Yeah, I'm going to get hte UK press of the dvd as soon as it's out.

Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:39 PM #46 of 161
I'm just annoyed the second DVD doesn't come out until June 27th >.< Oh well, gives me something to look forward to.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:00 PM #47 of 161
I need money to buy my R2 DVD+UMD sets... 60-80$ USD a piece isn't fun for a 12 dvd series.

But its so much more worth it than the R1 crap.

FELIPE NO
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 05:04 PM #48 of 161
Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku
I'm just annoyed the second DVD doesn't come out until June 27th >.< Oh well, gives me something to look forward to.
Welcome to the world of R1 anime DVDs. Most are released on a bi-monthly basis.

Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 06:16 PM #49 of 161
I've been buying DVDs for years, I have hundreds. Bandai used to release monthly. Hell, I remember when Escaflowne was coming out on DVD and Bandai was doing two DVDs a month. This bi-monthly thing is a trademark of Pioneer/Geneon.

Though I will admit I haven't bought seperate DVDs in a while, since I've been mainly just waiting for the full box sets and buying those.

How ya doing, buddy?
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 11:20 AM #50 of 161
*shocked* Umm, guys just wondering if you seen this torrent around?

[Bizarro-Nanashi] Koukyo Shihen Eureka Seven 37-50.torrent

Apparently its the leaked translation from Nanashi, dunno if this is another one of those late-april-fool thing again

Torrent can be found in Tokyotosho.com

Can someone confirm this for me, being on a 128kbps connection isn't fun when dling a fake torrent XD

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Psalms of Planets Eureka seveN