Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

ms-07
Carob Nut

Member 1600

Level 5.59

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 06:50 AM Local time: Apr 8, 2006, 07:50 AM #1 of 336
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a show produced by Kyoto Animation based on novels done by original creator Nagaru Tanigawa. The show features character design by Noizi Ito, of Shakugan No Shana fame. The show is slated for 14 episodes.

In an unsual classroom introduction Suzumiya Haruhi announces she has no interest in normal humans. She seeks ESpers, Aliens, Time travelers and other oddities. The guy sitting in front of her is Kyon, before entering highschool he also had those kind of childish dreams so maybe because of this he tries to approach her to little success. Kyon starts to study her behavior for the next month such as her changing her hairstyle everyday, changing clothes in front of male and female classmates, and that she joins every club in school (but later quits). He starts bringing up these things to her in homeroom everyday and then eventually he sparks some enthusiasm into her somehow and she decides to start her own club and she demands Kyon's help. This is only the start of what later will be known as SOS-Dan "Sekai wo Ooini moriageruiame no Suzumiya haruhi no dan" (The Suzumiya Haruhi's club to make the world a much livelier place).

links of interest

official website -
http://www.haruhi.tv/

Extensive resource on the show -
http://www.designchronicle.com/memen...ya_haruhi.html

Torrents for all the episodes released so far, subbed by a.f.k. fansubs -
http://a.scarywater.net/afk/

novel translations -
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...uzumiya_Haruhi

Opening -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j3EHqjL2lWY

Ending -
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wsD8mGvwpkE

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by ms-07; Apr 29, 2006 at 06:54 AM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2006, 07:44 AM #2 of 336
'am downloading it now. I'll edit to see whats up with this one.

EDIT : Im almost leading towards the end of the episode. It seems like your average chick that is living the life of working two jobs and being shown on camera while a narrator talks about her life and then moves on to another story.

Not bad. I like it.

edit : i love it now ;p.

This camera guy is just filming as much as he can. his edits in the film sucks but its not like he's really trying. As a narrator, he's good. Overall. this anime can also be telling you that some animes are the same thing and making a film like this is boring (i dunno thats how i see it from my PoV).

Now that everything is normal (widescreen). The story can begin now. I find this more interesting than Smash Hit.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by chato; Apr 8, 2006 at 08:54 AM.
ms-07
Carob Nut

Member 1600

Level 5.59

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 05:19 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 06:19 AM #3 of 336
Episode 2 came out a few days ago, surprisingly it was as good as the first one. It starts sometime before the first episode and the next few episodes will be the creation of the movie seen in the first ep. my one worry for this series is that Kyon and Haruhi falling for eachother (you know it'll happen eventually) will really hurt the flow of the show.

Episode 2 torrent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12gN1s6lik <---awesome ED sequence/Gundam parody

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by ms-07; Apr 16, 2006 at 03:23 PM.
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:28 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 01:28 PM #4 of 336
I was just looking this up last night, due to Merv's signature piquing my curiosity. Thanks for the torrent links.

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:22 PM #5 of 336
I really loved this anime after finding out the big twist at the end. I felt gypped before because the thumbnail previews of it looked really clear, but the resolution was less. Regardless, the purposefully bad acting was hilarious!
My favourite part was when Yuki starts choking Mikuru: "What are you doing?! That wasn't in the script!" I thought this would become ecchi with all the bouncing breast action of Mikuru, but the ending explained it all

I love the dance in the ending too! It's funny since you'd never catch a guy doing that real life.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:37 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 11:37 AM #6 of 336
Interestingly, I found the ending credits hilarious to watch, so that's what caught me at first. The bunny suit takes the cake. ~kawaii desu~.

How ya doing, buddy?

- What we all do best -
Greykin
gyah!

Member 495

Level 18.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:31 PM #7 of 336
I seriously enjoyed the ending sequence too much. MORE DANCING!

Most amazing jew boots

oh my gawddd
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 04:34 PM #8 of 336
The anime caught my attention really badly. Lol it was awsome.

How ya doing, buddy?
lemonmanko
yell it very loud!

Member 1971

Level 12.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 09:14 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 08:14 PM #9 of 336
oh i really like this one
had me rolling with the commentary by the main character
and the parody of anime in general in episode 1 *kisses* perfect haha

finally an A++ must watch series this season

Quote:
I seriously enjoyed the ending sequence too much. MORE DANCING!
para para ftw!

aoidra
Carob Nut

Member 804

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:34 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 10:34 PM #10 of 336
The first episode don't caught my attention until the end, also the dancing sequen wow I really enjoy it

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:00 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2006, 08:00 PM #11 of 336
It was kind of hard to keep up with all the subtitles on screen at once. The main character likes to provide voice-over over dialogue, which would be cool if I knew Japanese and could listen and read at the same time.

But that's really my only complaint with this series. I watched the first three episodes last night and I'm already addicted as hell.

Spoiler:
...But aliens? I was kind of hoping Haruhi and Nagako were just weird.

HazelGuy
Good Chocobo

Member 4960

Level 14.57

Apr 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 01:22 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 04:22 PM #12 of 336
I like how she happily uses extortion, blackmail or outright thievery to get the club going. Every episode is a cross between / / O.o

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 08:26 AM #13 of 336
Originally Posted by Kurado
Spoiler:
...But aliens? I was kind of hoping Haruhi and Nagako were just weird.
Totally agree. Now we have some kind of understanding behind it, but I rather would think otherwise, as well.

I think the best scene so far was when Haruhi wanted to acquire the computer:
Spoiler:
LMAO! Framing the guy for sexual harrassment! "Let me just grab your hand put it on her breast, take a picture, then shove you on to her, and take another picture!" Of course, no one does anything about it :s

I was speaking idiomatically.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:46 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 08:46 AM #14 of 336
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Spoiler:
LMAO! Framing the guy for sexual harrassment! "Let me just grab your hand put it on her breast, take a picture, then shove you on to her, and take another picture!" Of course, no one does anything about it :s
Heh, yeah that scene was golden. Probably my favorite one so far.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:11 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2006, 10:11 AM #15 of 336
Hot bunny girl? Check. I hope they make more low budget films, THE HILARITY!

Also (props to Bigblah for this one):

NEEDS MORE AWESOME MAGIC-SUPER POWER TRICKS!

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:02 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 01:02 AM #16 of 336
Having watched episode 4, I have a question:

Spoiler:
The series seems to be released out of order since Koizumi never really gets an introduction into the Brigade and they do hint at some alternate reality or somesuch between Kyon and Nagato Yuki. Are the episode numbers announced by Haruhi herself during the previews the "correct" episode numbers? That is, are they the ones that tell the real correct sequence (in terms of chronology)? Or is there some other numbering sequence I'm not aware of?

Either way, this series is intriguing. I didn't find it as a laugh-out-loud style of funny as some other people have, but some of the stuff in there is amusing enough for me to keep watching.

Also, dance ED = win.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by zzeroparticle; Apr 26, 2006 at 03:04 AM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 04:43 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 05:43 PM #17 of 336
Haruhi always announces the chronological sequence, while Kyon corrects her with the TV airing sequence.

Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:09 AM #18 of 336
OH lol! That would make much more sense! I was very confused and I actually had to open the third episode again to make sure I didn't miss anything after Yuki's revelation at the end. The most baffling part was: "How did you and Haruhi-san manage to escape that time?"

The baseball ep was all right, but there could have been more funny stuff in it too. I liked when Yuki was hitting and catching the ball so perfectly, but so lifelessly at the same time. I want more Mikuru abuse now

Most amazing jew boots
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 02:40 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 12:40 AM #19 of 336
Okay, that's OFFICIALLY the best episode of animated baseball EVER.
the bat:
Homing Bat and funky ball for the win! It was hilarious seeing all of them hit homeruns.

- What we all do best -
jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 04:10 PM #20 of 336
haha, there were better scenes than that in episode 4, like when Mikuru ducks to avoid the ball and the whole team slides.
or the way Yuki bats and catches.:lolsign:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 09:33 PM #21 of 336
Loving this show. I wasn't originally a fan of Yuki, but after episode 4 she's awesome.

Most amazing jew boots
DarknessTear
Metal Overman King Gainer

Member 2520

Level 14.96

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 04:41 AM #22 of 336
Seems ep 5 pokes fun at
Spoiler:
Evangelion
a lot.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 05:00 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 03:00 AM #23 of 336
Need to write up a Haruhi chronology or something, because I'm starting to lose track of which episode goes where. Case in point, the 6th aired episode is actually episode 9 (and it looks like a two-parter). Which is just as well, I guess, because the series is LOADED. Only a few minutes into episode 5 and I had to pause a bit to read all the text flying across the screen, all of which was essential to the plot.

Can't wait to see how the real episode 6 turns out, but apparently the next aired episode features a beach so that can't be bad.

Originally Posted by DarknessTear
Seems ep 5 pokes fun at
Spoiler:
Evangelion
a lot.
Spoiler:
What, Instrumentality? I hardly think that was the intention at all. The questioning of a dream world versus real world is abundant in lots of things, even down to series like Cowboy Bebop (why is this a spoiler).

Also, I'm having trouble accessing this site: http://www.designchronicle.com/memen...ya_haruhi.html

Anyone else able to log in?

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Sakabadger; May 3, 2006 at 05:04 AM.
DarknessTear
Metal Overman King Gainer

Member 2520

Level 14.96

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 05:12 AM #24 of 336
Originally Posted by Sakabadger
Spoiler:
What, Instrumentality? I hardly think that was the intention at all. The questioning of a dream world versus real world is abundant in lots of things, even down to series like Cowboy Bebop (why is this a spoiler).
Spoiler:
Even if it was unintentional, that's the kind of vibe I got. I didn't even really work to understand what they were saying at the beginning either. I just expected the main character to say the same thing I felt "I don't really understand."

How ya doing, buddy?
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 11:48 AM #25 of 336
I think they were basically trying to drill in Ep. 5, that:
Spoiler:
Mikuru's a time traveller, Yuki's an alien, and Koizumi's an Esper.
Haruhi gathered them together without really knowing their real identities.
Kyon is "the key" to Haruhi somehow.
The rest is a rather interesting take on the concept of time being simultaneous, and our world being insignificant

I tried hard to understand it but I didn't pause because I knew that Kyon would react as he would with that much info.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya