Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Dating for musicians...?

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 04:08 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 02:08 AM #51 of 74
I think this thread still existing is probably the saddest thing I've ever seen on Gamingforce, second to your inability to realize that you're not going to win any friends with that kind of an attitude. You came her asking for an opinion, and you got one. If you act the way you are currently, people are going to think you're an asshole, and no amount of arguing will change that. Get over it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:15 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 10:45 AM #52 of 74
Originally Posted by rocketdog
Here's my problem. I meet girls, and some of them are so damn hot, good looking, cute, but I date them and then I realize... they will never hear sound the way I hear it. And call me an elitest, but when I realize that they will never hear music as beautifully as I hear it, I look find myself looking down on them, believing that my perspectives on life are of deeper and greater meaning than theirs.

So what kind of girls do you all date? I don't know what I'm looking for anymore. I mean, I'd love someone who could play violin/piano duets with me, but I find these girls so rare (or at least where I live) to have talent and good looks... or when I find them, they are so jaded by society they don't really give a shit to use the talent they have. But recently I met a girl, REAL pretty, and very attractive. Great personality and conversationalist, but she can't keep rhythm, nor can she play an instrument... or sing! sigh. Maybe I should just settle? :eyebrow:

the girls I date are those whom the most beautiful music came from the goodness inside them, about how the allegrettos of their kindess played upon me, and the boleros of their wit pounded my eyes, and most importantly, the sonatas of their love seduces me like no other

Most amazing jew boots

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
soapy
Chocobo

Member 903

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:46 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 12:46 PM #53 of 74
Well, this weekend I went out with a girl. She asked me to play some piano for her so I played her a piece. Afterward I asked her what she thought and she said "Oh it just sounded like notes to me, but good job, very pretty."

How am I supposed to respect that? I don't think her perspective is deeper than mine, sorry. Seriously.

I think my problem is just that my campus is full of idiots. Because I've definetly met kids who are up to par with my self-declared "wisdom" but as nobody worth mentioning at my college campus. I'm not even trying to be an egoist but do you know what I mean? It's like when you were a senior in HS and you were picking on freshman. I'm a senior in college but I feel a majority of the seniors here are still freshman. *shrug
You're making it very hard to respect YOU. So what if she doesn't have a deeper appreciation for music? Get on with it if you don't want to date her, because it's obvious she could not possibly have anything else to offer in a relationship. Maybe you are just surrounded by morons, in which case, you might want to move to another city or planet.

Although I do agree that a comment like that would make me think, "gee, have you listened to music before ever in your life?" Either way, you're not presenting yourself in a good light here and I doubt you'll find many people to sympathize with you.

I was speaking idiomatically.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:02 PM #54 of 74
Quote:
Well, this weekend I went out with a girl. She asked me to play some piano for her so I played her a piece. Afterward I asked her what she thought and she said "Oh it just sounded like notes to me, but good job, very pretty."

How am I supposed to respect that? I don't think her perspective is deeper than mine, sorry. Seriously.
Uh... huh. It's sorta hard to take your argument seriously when you freely admit that your appreciation and knowledge of music stems from the internet and the Concert Hall. Some of us actually have degrees in music (I know! Concept!).

There is more to life than music and there is more to a romantic partner than expecting her to understand every tempo marking and every last bit of counterpoint in that piece you're playing to her. If that's *all* you want from a girl, you're going to be looking for a while.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Pokey
killhouse

Member 15382

Level 9.89

Nov 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:23 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 05:23 PM #55 of 74
Originally Posted by Devoxy
I've met plenty of women who adore music and are in musical professions/careers/majors. Maybe he's not telling us that he's also extremely picky about her features.
Er, he did. Like 3 times.

Quote:
Here's my problem. I meet girls, and some of them are so damn hot, good looking, cute, but I date them and then I realize... they will never hear sound the way I hear it. And call me an elitest, but when I realize that they will never hear music as beautifully as I hear it, I look find myself looking down on them, believing that my perspectives on life are of deeper and greater meaning than theirs.

So what kind of girls do you all date? I don't know what I'm looking for anymore. I mean, I'd love someone who could play violin/piano duets with me, but I find these girls so rare (or at least where I live) to have talent and good looks... or when I find them, they are so jaded by society they don't really give a shit to use the talent they have. But recently I met a girl, REAL pretty, and very attractive. Great personality and conversationalist, but she can't keep rhythm, nor can she play an instrument... or sing! sigh. Maybe I should just settle?
Of course this guy probably wouldn't date an ugly musician.

Most amazing jew boots
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:39 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 05:39 PM #56 of 74
How am I supposed to respect that?
You're supposed to respect somebody regardless of their educational background. Why don't you take some of this energy that you're using to gloat, and instead educate some of these dames. You can introduce them to music in a way that other people haven't. Perhaps you'll inspire them to study it for themselves, or at least appreciate music on a different level.

The problem isn't "everbody else" and their lack of intelligence. They just don't like the same shit you do. The main problem is your attitude towards these kids. Just be cool to them. Not every person you meet is going to challenge you in the ways you might expect. Sounds like these people are challenging you to be a more patient person, and to look for the best that each person has to offer. Otherwise, you'll end up a self proclaimed genius, completely introverted, living in the middle of nowhere, away from everybody.

So some kids at your school suck at piano and haven't studied music theory. So fucking what? Quit acting so misunderstood and unappreciated. It's not like you're the next JS Bach or something.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:41 PM #57 of 74
What school do you go to? Just out of curiosity.

Also, you are a very narrow minded individual and it's kinda hard to deal with it. You probably like pretty bad music as it is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:30 PM #58 of 74
Is that what she said, rocketdog? I don't think you're being very accurate, and may be exaggerating for effect. 'It all sounds like notes to me' could very well be an answer to some stupid question like 'well how did you like the second stanza' or something, I don't know, I don't do music. It does not sound like something a natural person would say in response to 'Did you like it?'

At any rate, obviously one of two things are possible here. One, you're dissing your dates to the internet in order to make yourself look better. Tell me how that works out! The other is that the only people who are attracted to you are otherwise stupid.

A little of column a, a little of column b here.

Originally Posted by jb1234
Uh... huh. It's sorta hard to take your argument seriously when you freely admit that your appreciation and knowledge of music stems from the internet and the Concert Hall. Some of us actually have degrees in music (I know! Concept!).

Double Post:
Originally Posted by Pokey
Of course this guy probably wouldn't date an ugly musician.
To be honest, I don't think he's the one making the decision here.

oh god, actually, it'd be hilarious if he dated someone who actually knew what she was talking about regarding music, because I bet he doesn't. I don't know for certain! But I think it'd be hilarious. ROCKETDOG GO WORK ON THIS K

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Sarag; Nov 20, 2006 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Luckee Cookie
Chocobo

Member 203

Level 11.54

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:16 PM #59 of 74
I used to play the accompaniment for my ex; it was sorta irritating because he thought he was stylisticly right but I just let it go and just let us both play instead and just enjoy playing our instruments togeather. I mean, it shouldn't matter much as long as you're having fun togeather playing music right? Just pretend you're tone deaf for an hour or something -_-"

Mikejesmike
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 13447

Level 1.47

Oct 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:47 AM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 04:47 AM #60 of 74
Why would someone who appreciates music need someone else to appreciate the music he listens to? Does it even matter? I mean if I found a girl who liked the music I like then it's another point on the board, but it's not a deal breaker. It reminds me of when I was in jr high, there were girls that wanted nothing to do with me simply because it was well known that I liked heavy metal. Maybe they thought I'd invite them to my house and beat them to death with my guitar, maybe they thought I was beneath them because of my musical tastes. When I got in high school I had this girlfriend that had the complete opposite musical taste, where I was into Death,Sepultura,Slayer,Cannibal Corpse she was into Patsy Cline and bluegrass. Now she knew I was into metal before we got together, but I didn't know about what she liked until afterwards. I remember asking her what she liked and she said Patsy Cline. I said Patsy Cline?! However I didn't get on her case about it, you like what you like, but I remember thinking that's going pretty far back and country to boot. Most kids if they like something that old it's usually Elvis or The Beatles or something rock and roll.

Either way it didn't matter if I liked Cannibal Corpse and she liked Patsy Cline. All I care about is that they look good, are good inside and the sex is good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
My Dreams
Virtuosic Dreams ^_^

Member 1412

Level 21.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:53 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2006, 01:53 AM #61 of 74

I think my problem is just that my campus is full of idiots. Because I've definetly met kids who are up to par with my self-declared "wisdom" but as nobody worth mentioning at my college campus. I'm not even trying to be an egoist but do you know what I mean? It's like when you were a senior in HS and you were picking on freshman. I'm a senior in college but I feel a majority of the seniors here are still freshman. *shrug
Hey rocketdog, watch it. She may be able to play the Rachmaninov 3rd Concerto backwards and might saying that as an euphemism for your 'imperfect legato'. Haha... just kidding. Anyway, I think your expectations are too high. Try lowering it and you might just meet someone you really want to be with.

I was speaking idiomatically.

ChocoJournal
The Link to the Chocojournal works now!
Transcriptions A new thread for transcriptions of all sorts.

"The man had a huge head. Like a pumpkin, really." - Godowskian on Shura Cherkassky
rocketdog
formerly known as Green

Member 483

Level 23.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:01 PM #62 of 74
Originally Posted by My Dreams
Hey rocketdog, watch it. She may be able to play the Rachmaninov 3rd Concerto backwards and might saying that as an euphemism for your 'imperfect legato'. Haha... just kidding. Anyway, I think your expectations are too high. Try lowering it and you might just meet someone you really want to be with.
Haha, if a chick made a joke like you just did, I'd so date her! :biggrin:
Where are those women!?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:15 PM #63 of 74
Originally Posted by Devoxy
I think his problem is he thinks:

preference = intelligence

He reminds me of certain people who listen to classical then claim it as the one true music. And that all other music is harmonic trash that no one in their right "intelligent" mind should listen to. Maybe I'm the only one who's run into these types, I dunno.
No, you're not the only one. I know a couple of people who look down their noses at all the poor, inferior schmucks who don't recognize classical music as the only kind of music worth listening to.

rocketdog, these girls you're dating may not have as deep an appreciation for music as you do (although, like others have said, I'd bet it has more to do with their musical preferences), but I'll bet each and every one of them knows about things you don't and could teach you a thing or two about something. Maybe not classical piano, but something that's as important to them as your music is to you.

FELIPE NO
soapy
Chocobo

Member 903

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:33 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 11:33 AM #64 of 74
Originally Posted by AliceNWondrland
Maybe not classical piano, but something that's as important to them as your music is to you.
Or maybe the basics like social grace, humility, tact, common sense.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:36 PM #65 of 74
Well, yeah. The girl did sound extremely rude if that's really what she said, but I can't imagine someone being that bitchy. Sometimes we hear what we want to hear.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:51 PM #66 of 74
Where are those women!?
They're probably looking for men who don't use taste in music as the one and only criteria for a mate.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:02 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 01:02 PM #67 of 74
They're also looking for guys who aren't Asian.

Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:28 PM #68 of 74
Originally Posted by Brent
They're also looking for guys who aren't Asian.
Painfully true.

Most amazing jew boots
My Dreams
Virtuosic Dreams ^_^

Member 1412

Level 21.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:55 AM Local time: Nov 23, 2006, 08:55 PM #69 of 74
Haha, if a chick made a joke like you just did, I'd so date her! :biggrin:
Where are those women!?
Well, Hilary Hahn is one... Looks aside, I think she plays Bach really well. Do give a listen to her Bach partitas. Besides, she keeps an online journal (I think its called a blog). How many musicians do that sort of stuff?

Most amazing jew boots

ChocoJournal
The Link to the Chocojournal works now!
Transcriptions A new thread for transcriptions of all sorts.

"The man had a huge head. Like a pumpkin, really." - Godowskian on Shura Cherkassky

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Dating for musicians...?