Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Battlefield 2142 Is Kinda Really Lame

Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:59 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 11:59 PM #1 of 30
Battlefield 2142 Is Kinda Really Lame

The BF2142 demo has been out for a little while, and boy is it a mess.

It's interesting to see EA do something different with one of their properties, especially one that's such a by-the-numbers cash cow like the Battlefield series.

Setting the sequel in a futurescape is certainly something that'll throw off the lowest common denominator, and the new vehicles and their widely different mechanics (the PAC tank is a turret-less hovertank, think floating Jagtpanther) bring something new to the battlefield, and almost re-write the way the game is supposed to be won.

But it needs work. Tons of work. The game is still incredibly spammy, and despite a ping of 24, the servers could still skid along like a slideshow. Movement on foot feels unnatural, like you're moving around on Mars instead of Earth. The foot soldier kits are also imbalanced. When you're out in the open, there's almost no point in being anything other than an engineer as of yet, since the demo doesn't let you customize your kits, and there are no grenades.

The Titan mode the map is set on can be pretty fun, and when Titan shields drop, the in-ship fighting can be pretty brutal. For me this is the most fun aspect of the game, which is kind of sad that so far, for a series known for wide open spaces, that the most claustrophobic environment has become the most interesting.

This thing needs tons of work concerning balancing issues, especially concerning the Walkers. Those things are beasts, and I'm beginning to suspect that they don't even give you enough rockets to take one out in your kit. Recon also comes standard with a one-shot-one-kill sniper rifle so long as you aim for upper mass. They'll have to grind on this thing hard if they want it to actually become the AAA title they're advertising it as.

Check it out, though. It's fun for a while anyways.

Be advised, though. You'll have to install the most recent version of Directx 9.0c from the link provided by EA, otherwise you won't have the .dll necessary to run the damn thing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Bradylama; Oct 13, 2006 at 12:02 AM.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:27 AM #2 of 30
2142 is better in some ways and worse in others. The gameplay is faster, which was something that I didn't care for in BF2. The design is original and seperates it from the other 10billion war games out there (not that the gameplay was generic by any means in BF2). The game engine's performance has been improved (but the loading times are still brutal). And the kit customization looks to add a bit of strategy to how you're going to play each match even more then in BF2.

Now for the parts that are worse. Vehicles are oddly balanced. Pods are hard to control. Lack of grenades and explosives for the infentry in general. No zomm control for the sniper rifle. Why can't there be more then 1 Titan design?

I may think of more later, but I just did 40 pages of grammer workshops and it's 1:30AM here so my memory is pooched right now ^^;

Most amazing jew boots
kainlightwind
Good Chocobo

Member 120

Level 17.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:53 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 11:53 PM #3 of 30
Maybe there's more to the final version compared to the demo. I'll wait to see what reviewers get before I decide to make this this my counter strike replacment. I really had a lot of fun with the demo. Sci Fi shooters like this are great with the Battlefield theme to it. Now. If only C&C 3 would come out any time sooner.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:23 AM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 11:23 PM #4 of 30
Back when I still had a passable 3D card, I got this demo and ran it and ugh, same old Battlefield.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 06:43 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 01:43 PM #5 of 30
Upon playing the demo for the first time I was wondering how on earth EA is planning on selling this BF2 mod for a full price. Seriously, it looks, feels and plays like a mod for BF2.

"Lame" is probably the best description for this load of crap.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:26 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 09:26 AM #6 of 30
I wanted to try it but BF2 had an infamous reputation as being buggy. Oh well.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
kainlightwind
Good Chocobo

Member 120

Level 17.77

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:41 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 11:41 AM #7 of 30
Yeah. Even with having a ping of 29, everything just felt jumpy all over. That was the case with most of the servers. Some where pretty decent if it wasn't the Titan mode.

FELIPE NO
Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:45 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 03:45 PM #8 of 30
Oddly enough, I had no ping/lag issue on any of the server I've played on.

Only when I board a moving Titan then the action gets choppy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shoeless
The questgiver.

Member 834

Level 7.95

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:21 PM #9 of 30
I never liked the Battlefield series, because the normal firearm aim seems off, and the hitboxes are not as tight as they are in other shooters. Vehicles dominate, and while it is fun to fly around and rain fire on your enemies from a helicopter for a while, the game got old incredibly fast.

Sar
lvl 40 Clown-Mage

Member 8038

Level 5.97

Jun 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:34 AM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 03:34 PM #10 of 30
Despite seeing this thread a few weeks ago, I went out and bought the game.

It can be pretty fun, but I never ever manage to achieve headshots even at close range with perfect aiming, so something must be wrong there.

Like with previous Battlefield's, they're probably going to release a huge 500MB patch in six months to a year from now that fixes absolutely everything. But by then they'll be asking you to buy their next Battlefield game with the same shitty issues all over again. If they added more time between the release of each game, they wouldn't be trying to fix the last game in the series while working on the new one.

I think the graphics could have been better too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 03:58 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 03:58 PM #11 of 30
But then they wouldn't make as much money.

Also, the reason you're not getting any headshots, I suspect, is because all of the weapons are highly inaccurate. You probably just have shitty luck and all bullets hit center mass.

Sar
lvl 40 Clown-Mage

Member 8038

Level 5.97

Jun 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 05:49 PM Local time: Oct 30, 2006, 10:49 PM #12 of 30
I suspect the reason my weapons are so broken is because Battlefield 2142 expects you to level up a bit before you can achieve headshots.

The engineer's gun seems reasonably accurate, but the bullets don't do much damage and your clip is pretty small. I can kill one person and do 50% damage to another before I must reload, and the gun holds a maximum of 4 clips before the gun is useless.

Plus being greeted with a log-in screen every time I want to play is really really lame and unnecessary. My internet connection can be very unreliable sometimes, making this log-in crap very inconvenient. Battlefield 2142 includes the ability to play "offline" against AI bots, yet I still need a net connection to get past EA's log-in screen.

EDIT:

I eventually discovered that yanking out the LAN cable from my computer makes the impenetrable log-in screen magically go away. Geez, they could have just added a "Play Offline" button.

Last edited by Sar; Oct 31, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:05 PM #13 of 30
I'm happy to say I managed to boycott this iteration of the Battlefield series. An interesting note though, I think the sort of unofficial push to have people boycott has worked to an extent. Going off the Xfire.com statistics, I've been monitoring BF2142 for the past week or so. It makes it to the Top 10 games, but for all but absolute peak hours, is consistently played less than BF2 is.

Perhaps I'm looking at it to early, and 2142 hasn't fully saturated yet, but if this is any indicator then most people haven't bothered getting BF2142 yet, instead sticking to to BF2. The reason is probably twofold:

1) Boycott Campaign
2) Losing BF2 ranks

No one wants to lose over 200 hours of work and a huge rank just to switch to a new game that is slightly different.

Most amazing jew boots
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 04:13 PM #14 of 30
My brother's been playing BF2142 a lot, and very much enjoying it, actually (although he never enjoyed BF2 all that much). While I still don't see myself getting the game in the foreseeable future, it's sad that BF2142 has a lot of nice features that I'd like to see in BF2. Of course, there's the safe spawn points on the Titans, as well as the huge number of unlocks/kit customization and squad unlocks.

Most of all, BF2142's Defuser can not only disable mines, but also those stupid fucking claymores (of course, having to approach them with a wrench in BF2 wouldn't exactly be safe, but some way of getting rid of them would be nice). Furthermore, some guns can even shoot and destroy mines and claymores. At the moment he's only aware of a sniper rifle that can do it, but there's probably other unlocks that can as well.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 07:42 PM #15 of 30
I'm actually glad this is an investment I skipped out on. Being a BF2 player myself, I just find this game to be nothing more than a mod of the aforementioned game. It's not worth the $50, it's not worth the slowdown and laggy connections (and I'm on 8MBPS btw), it's not worth the BUILT-IN spyware. I shall pass.

FELIPE NO
[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 08:17 PM Local time: Oct 31, 2006, 07:17 PM #16 of 30
Well, in its defense, you can move quite a bit faster once you unlock the sprint upgrade(s?), and if you disable Heavy Armor (it's on by default, although my brother says he wouldn't recommend taking it off). And I can play BF2 at the same time my brother plays BF2142 rather comfortably; neither of us get any more lag than normal with our shared 4 MBPS. And lastly, the whole spyware thing was just a rumor; all the game does it record what ads you look at in-game and for how long. This only comes with the boxed retail version, as well; the EA Downloader version has nothing of the sort.

Most amazing jew boots

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Sar
lvl 40 Clown-Mage

Member 8038

Level 5.97

Jun 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:31 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 05:31 PM #17 of 30
Despite everything, the mechs are a really nice addition.

Most amazing jew boots
Lipid
Fatty!

Member 3311

Level 8.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:23 PM #18 of 30
I havent noticed the ads in game yet. At all. Not 1. No, really.

I do love, however, that I can slowly (read: single shot) empty a support HMG clip at someone running (at a fairly close range while im prone) and hit them only 5 times, and they can face me with the same gun (still standing), hold the fire button down and kill me in 3 seconds. EA to learn how to code bullet physics imo.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 09:33 PM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 09:33 PM #19 of 30
Originally Posted by Sar
Despite everything, the mechs are a really nice addition.

The best addition, as far as I'm concerned. Even battling inside the Titan gets tedious after a while.

They've got a gold mine here for extra game modes and they simply refuse to use them. Racing, classic capture the flag (as in, a flag that someone carries), Hold the Mech (where the mech serves as a kind of mobile flag), etc, etc, etc. There's so many good things they could do with the variety of vehicles they have, but they want to restrict the community...I guess so they can charge money once they "innovate" some expansion paks and people fall on their knees in supplication. After so long of being fed the same old shit, a moldy sandwich starts to look like succulent filet.

Sar
lvl 40 Clown-Mage

Member 8038

Level 5.97

Jun 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:08 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 10:08 AM #20 of 30
Originally Posted by Skexis
After so long of being fed the same old shit, a moldy sandwich starts to look like succulent filet.
I can't remember the last time a game shipped with five maps. Even CounterStrike Source had more, and it was free with Half Life 2.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:35 PM #21 of 30
2142 has 10. Stop playing titan mode and you will see the rest. Im really enjoying 2142 so far, I'm having more fun than I ever did with bf2. It's funny, DICE finally adds a new mode and It's terrible. Sentry guns are so overpowered that 70% of the time it's useless to even try to attack the enemy titan core. So games end up coming down to who can keep the most silos the longest. Effectively stretching an already laggy game (because every commander just HAS to move the titan..even if it's a bannable offense) another 10 minutes.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Ramenbetsu; Nov 4, 2006 at 07:40 PM.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 07:51 PM #22 of 30
My cousin says the game is really good. In fact, he says I have to buy it when I get my new computer. Now, all I need is the money to pay for the computer. Darn, Christmas can't come fast enough.

He says its really fun to play.

S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:34 AM Local time: Nov 8, 2006, 02:34 AM #23 of 30
The game is great, ONCE you unlock all the basic stuff for each class, so you can actually play them like you're supposed to, like getting the defribulator for the medic, c4 and claymores for the Recon, mines for engineer, etc... Also, YOU HAVE TO UNLOCK FRAG GRENADES ?!?!?!11?1?!?? Once you do though, it's great.

One thing they MUST fix soon are the Punkbuster kicks...I get kicked out of like 5-10 servers within 30 seconds before finding a server that I don't get kicked out of immediately. Punkbuster seems to think everyone has a duplicate CD key!

Once they fix the punkbuster kicks, it'll be great! The atmopshere kind of made me think of Starship Troopers for some reason, and the guns are cool, except for the pistols, ughhh, they look like toy guns you buy at the dollar store, especially the PAC one. The EU pistol is rediculous too, why would you have a revolver 200 years in the future? No army issues it's troops revolvers now! I do like the fact that the PAC assault rifles have no firing pin, they seem to be magnetically firing, which is nifty, wonder why there would still be kickback though?*shrugs* Whatever, the pods thing is cool, the aircraft takes some time to master, as they're like hover-crafts that can fly, really awkward, but good when you figure them out.

I like that the game had more of a premise than BF2, like you actually know WHY the war is happening, in BF2 it's just that it's happening, no reason why...

I wish there were more than 2 factions...but oh well, I've gotten used to it, and some of the maps, I must say, are ingenious, like the one where you move up the hill, I don't know which one it is, but it's wicked!

As for the modes, Titan is fun for a while, get's old, if you want the whole BF2 feel, play Conquest mode on maps like Fall of Berlin and Belgrade, that's when it's good. What Titan is good for, I guess, is making Zatar Wetlands style maps like Minsk and Sidi Power Plant playable, because they just aren't in Conquest mode, WAY too much running, just freaking pointless...

Suez Canal is an AWESOME map, I just can't get enough of it, it's medium sized, a LITTLE spread out, but there are some close combat parts of it too, and I think it's great.

All in all, the maps are cool, a very interesting feel to most of them, very kind of cyber-punk...It's cool!

Whatev, fix a few things and I'll play this game for a long time, don't, and I'll probably forget about it and play BF2 and CS:S more, as well as Just Cause, a GREAT, yet under-recognized GTA style game...

FELIPE NO
"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2006, 04:09 PM #24 of 30
Originally Posted by S?ecter
The game is great, ONCE you unlock all the basic stuff for each class, so you can actually play them like you're supposed to, like getting the defribulator for the medic, c4 and claymores for the Recon, mines for engineer, etc... Also, YOU HAVE TO UNLOCK FRAG GRENADES ?!?!?!11?1?!?? Once you do though, it's great.

One thing they MUST fix soon are the Punkbuster kicks...I get kicked out of like 5-10 servers within 30 seconds before finding a server that I don't get kicked out of immediately. Punkbuster seems to think everyone has a duplicate CD key!

Once they fix the punkbuster kicks, it'll be great! The atmopshere kind of made me think of Starship Troopers for some reason, and the guns are cool, except for the pistols, ughhh, they look like toy guns you buy at the dollar store, especially the PAC one. The EU pistol is rediculous too, why would you have a revolver 200 years in the future? No army issues it's troops revolvers now! I do like the fact that the PAC assault rifles have no firing pin, they seem to be magnetically firing, which is nifty, wonder why there would still be kickback though?*shrugs* Whatever, the pods thing is cool, the aircraft takes some time to master, as they're like hover-crafts that can fly, really awkward, but good when you figure them out.

I like that the game had more of a premise than BF2, like you actually know WHY the war is happening, in BF2 it's just that it's happening, no reason why...

I wish there were more than 2 factions...but oh well, I've gotten used to it, and some of the maps, I must say, are ingenious, like the one where you move up the hill, I don't know which one it is, but it's wicked!

As for the modes, Titan is fun for a while, get's old, if you want the whole BF2 feel, play Conquest mode on maps like Fall of Berlin and Belgrade, that's when it's good. What Titan is good for, I guess, is making Zatar Wetlands style maps like Minsk and Sidi Power Plant playable, because they just aren't in Conquest mode, WAY too much running, just freaking pointless...

Suez Canal is an AWESOME map, I just can't get enough of it, it's medium sized, a LITTLE spread out, but there are some close combat parts of it too, and I think it's great.

All in all, the maps are cool, a very interesting feel to most of them, very kind of cyber-punk...It's cool!

Whatev, fix a few things and I'll play this game for a long time, don't, and I'll probably forget about it and play BF2 and CS:S more, as well as Just Cause, a GREAT, yet under-recognized GTA style game...

I believe to fix the punkbuster kicks, your going to have to do that manually (as in go to the actual pb site etc).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Yggdrasil
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 940

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 08:12 PM Local time: Nov 9, 2006, 05:12 PM #25 of 30
The unlocks are kind of annoying, especially the need to unlock friggin grenades, when was the last time you had to unlock fucking nades on a online FPS? thankfully the first few unlocks should come very quickly (I'm done with both of my recon trees and two into my soldier abilities, I don't know where to go to next) and if you are in a hurry just make a whole bunch of soldier profiles to level very quickly to check out the upgrades.

So far I haven't been kicked once due to punkbuster, however I have several crashes now but my computer isn't exactly a gaming powerhouse anyways. All the guns look pretty futuristic, although the EU's revolver really threw me off, but who cares, as long as it can spit hot lead its fine.

Titan mode is awesome for racking up points, no doubt. Once titan shields go down its all about either camping out your own titan or wreaking havoc on the other guy's titan, hell the titan defender pin, which you get from killing 5 bad guys on your own titan, is worth 20 career points, and if you did that on a streak thats another pin worth another 5 points. I think the same goes for the titan attacker's pin, the titan destroyer pin, which you get for destroying parts of the titan is also a good 20 points or so.

Also, the mechs are powerful and fun but nowhere near overpowered really. unless you are trying to bring one down with your pistol. And the unlockable sniper rifle is not a one-shot kill, its still only relegated to headshots only. However I hear that if you shoot someone without their heavy armor on you can score one-hit kills.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Battlefield 2142 Is Kinda Really Lame