Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Worms Open Warfare 2, battle online from the comfort of your toilet

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:47 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 02:47 PM #1 of 14
Worms Open Warfare 2, battle online from the comfort of your toilet

Much better than dealing with a different sort of worm while on there. Yes, last years portable disaster has a sequel a comin'! This time they seem to be taking it seriously, it's online! The official site will update with leaderboards and all that. There's also a new 'race' mode, where you race others to the finish line using the ninja rope thing. A mode of Worms that isn't turn based? The world's gonna blow up. No really! Me and my mates used to break Worms down into a ninja rope/jerk pack frenzy. Doing that in real time would be pretty cool and explosive. Also eleven new weapons, but I can only seem to find bunker buster, electromagnet, boomerang and 'Buffalo of Lies' (what!) mentioned around the joint so far.

Single player has the standard Campaign mode, as well as Puzzle (where you have objectives like only killing certain worms or whatever) and a training room to test out just how bad you are are throwing grenades. Custom level creation is back and all those other sorts of fancy options. Not sure if you're able to take those custom levels online, but that'd be rad. The levels have full 3D backgrounds (did the first Open Warfare?), so air strikes will be carried out by exciting planes zooming on in from the background. Exciting I tell you!

DS version has exclusive touch screen mini-games. Because that's a very shocking and new thing for the DS! Nobody has ever included mini-games! Also this is coming to various mobile phones, I bet it'd be pretty fun trying to make out which worm is which on those thumbtack screens! Due out worldwide in July. Unless you live somewhere really funky where video games aren't popular, like Japan.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Apr 24, 2007 at 06:27 AM.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:42 AM #2 of 14
I really, really hope this won't suck like every other recent incarnation of Worms. I used to spend countless hours playing Worms Armageddon online, and the inclusion of training, missions, and level creation has me hopeful. It's hard to believe how many times they've screwed up such a simple game formula now.

The DS version had better include a picto-chat option during battles too. One of the best things about playing Worms online was the mockery.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:59 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 04:59 AM #3 of 14
I loves me some Worms, but Team17 has just been cranking out pure shit since Worms Armaggeddon Deluxe, so I'm not really inclined to hold my breath. They seem to have missed that, in order to successfully milk a franchise, you have to give more than just the diehard fans a reason to buy the game. Still, online play would be great, if the game is any good.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:31 AM #4 of 14
It'd be sweet if the PSP version could connect online with DS players, but somehow I doubt that will ever happen. Guess I'll have to settle for DS.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Furious One
Good Chocobo

Member 8296

Level 16.17

Jun 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:51 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 01:51 PM #5 of 14
Always preffered classic worms. Worms United was the best in my opinon, it lost some of its uniqueness when they turn into the cartoon hires graphics

I was speaking idiomatically.

Xbox360 Desktop Wallpapers | My DeviantART | XboxLive Gamertag: Don Barracuda
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:05 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 02:05 PM #6 of 14
Worms Armaggedon was amazing (obviously). My friend recently dug it out, and we've been playing hot seat games on his computer recently.

Worms 3D was acceptable. It was really easy thought, my only problem with it. I think i got three quarters through it in about 6 hours.

Worms World Party was just like .......wah? There was nothing happening in that one.

Apart from those i haven't played (or even really heard of) any other titles. Hopefully this will actually become a classic, and not be a disappointment like many DS games are doing to me.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:39 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 01:39 PM #7 of 14
I'm definitely liking the return of custom-made levels for Worms. I'm hoping that the create-a-level option isn't as limited as DKR DS's (which was pretty disappointing). In any case, it's probably another game I'm getting mostly because of it's Wi-Fi capabilities.

Anyway, I found this new weapon to be pretty interesting:

It looks like gravestones aren't just for decoration anymore.

Blagoweb.

FELIPE NO
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:46 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 09:46 PM #8 of 14
Worms 1 on the Sega Saturn was the one I spent the most fun with. Well, Worms 2 PC, the original one, had an insane amount of weapon customization options - you could make the Minigun wipe out the ENTIRE landscape in one go. Messing with that was fun.

But I don't remember any groundbreaking addition to the series ever since - and we are talking about stuff from 1998. Seems like a whoring-out record to me.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:02 PM #9 of 14
Worms Armageddon had some vast improvements over Worms 2. A lot more weapons, modes, and customization features. I'd love to see the Concrete Donkey and Indian Nuclear Test return. Super/Aqua Sheep too, of course. It's just not Worms without exploding sheep.

I worry about the stability of the DS's wi-fi connection for longer matches. I remember complicated fort games lasting for over an hour sometimes, and some nights it seems like a miracle for that to happen with no disconnects.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 25, 2007, 01:27 AM Local time: Apr 25, 2007, 04:27 PM #10 of 14
Oh shiiii, that lightning strike item sounds awesome! Hopefully it can also reach Worms that died underground to make matches extra annoying. =)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Ken Hikari
Silent Protagonist

Member 395

Level 13.07

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 10:13 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 07:13 AM #11 of 14
Ah good old worms, I love these games to death. Here is to hoping that this game does really well!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 16, 2007, 04:45 AM Local time: Sep 16, 2007, 07:45 PM #12 of 14
Three hundred years later.

So I'm playing through the DS version, it's quite good! It feels like a Worms game, which is something to look for in a new Worms game I suppose. Like Picross, I'm finding the touch screen controls pretty useless, it's quicker and more accurate to do everything with the dpad. Graphics are okay, the worms don't get lost in the backgrounds (which now feature 3D planes or ships zooming around the joint), music ranges from catchy to barely existing. There's a heap of customization as per usual. Voices, skin colour, flags, tombstones, pizza topping blah blah blah. You can even design your own levels.

The CPU AI is decent, which surprised me. Usually they're thick as pig shit and end up throwing grenades in impossible places or try and jump massive gaps. But no! The Campaign mode seems to end with a 'boss' battle every five rounds, they can pretty tough bastards. Puzzle mode's pretty boring so far, I've had one 'puzzle' objective as 'kill the other worms!' Yeah, that's great guys.

The DS version has an exclusive collection of mini-games (I guess this is a law for developing DS games). Blast, Blow and Draw. 'Blow' involves launching your worm off a cliff, where he'll parachute his way around a maze. Simply blow on the microphone to keep him in the air, yeah, bloody exciting! The other two are fairly amusing, however. 'Blast' has you jabbing the stylus around the screen, causing explosions. So if you point to the left of your worm, an explosion will send him flying to the right. You have to guide him around more mazes using explosions. Need to get up a high ledge? Try and juggle the worm with explosions from below, and so on! 'Draw' starts off with your worm standing next to a massive amount of explosives, when you press GOGOGOGO, they'll send him somewhere magical. Before you send him to his doom though, you've gotta try and guess where he might land, and block those areas with new walls that you draw, or maybe place some ramps around that'll cause him to slide to victory. The goal is to get him into.. the goal, but there are traps all over. He might land in a hole before the goal, and you're stuffed. Or a fan might blow him the other way, into the water. Draw a wall in front of the fan before you start, for example.

Oh and almost everything you do results in credits. You spend them in the shop to buy new music, skin colour (how racist let's write a letter), level themes for use in Quick Play mode, whole new missions and and and. I haven't put much into online, but it's been shitty in both games I've played. It supports four players, but I've had massive lag, crashing and other abnormalities. Anyway, my friend code is 159024718642. But aside from that, I'm impressive with Open Warfare 2!

Most amazing jew boots
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:24 AM #13 of 14
I can't go on enough about how awesome this game is, although I can't get the hang of Draw mode. Tritoch, RockgamerXIII and I played several 3 player online games the other day and had no problems with lag, and I've played a few non-friend matches with no issues. Must be an Australian/Infernal thing. Anyway, my friend code is 189-089-065-145.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Sep 16, 2007, 01:24 PM Local time: Sep 16, 2007, 12:24 PM #14 of 14
Yes, this game is totally awesome. I've only been playing it for two days, so I haven't done that much (mostly just Puzzle Mode and multiplayer, with a few smatterings of everything else), but I must say that I've loved every bit of it so far. The multiplayer alone makes this a must own DS game.

Like nutty, I haven't had any problems with lag while playing online. But here's the kicker: I've had way more problems with the single card multiplayer. IGN wasn't kidding when they said it's pretty unreliable. I played three matches with my sister, and there was lag the whole time (not enough to make the game unplayable, but it was definitely noticeable). And at the end of the last match, the game messed up, so my sister didn't even get to see me kill her. Single card multiplayer is good in concept, but if it's gonna be that spotty, I'd rather just try out the hotseat mode instead (unless I can actually convice my sister to get her own copy).

Oh, and obligatory friend code post: 498-326-989-856. We definitely need some more Worms action up in here.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Worms Open Warfare 2, battle online from the comfort of your toilet