Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

External DVD burner issue: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Dan
Carob Nut

Member 2147

Level 6.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 10:11 AM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 11:11 AM #1 of 1
External DVD burner issue: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Here is the story: Yesterday I purchased the following external DVD burner: Mad Dog MegaSTOR Triple Format 16X/8X/5X Double Layer External DVD±R/±RW And after a day of trying to get it to work I’m a hair away taking the thing back to the store.

Here is the problem: whenever I hook it up windows won’t resister it, will just display USB mass storage device (with a yellow exclamation point next to it) in device manger and have the error message: This device cannot start. (Code 10). Some time it will say there are no drivers installed for this device before going into the problem listed above. Also of serious concern to me picking up the drive, I can hear a slight rattling nose.

The drive didn’t come with any install drivers just a Roxio burner software bundle. The manual said the device wouldn’t need any drivers to install and that windows would detect it automatically. (liars!) I’ve only tried connecting it via USB 2.0 (the fire wire port on my laptop is a four pin the wire included is a 6 pin) Here is a list of things I have tried:

1) The manual said if the deceive didn’t register to clear all other DVD device drivers from device manger in safe mode, tried that in and out of safe mode multiple times (also tried clearing other USB device drivers as well) and it didn’t fix anything.
2) I checked the company’s website no help there (they only had a copy of the manual and firmware upgrade which requires the drive to be properly installed to work). BTW, Maddog’s tech support is not open on weekend nor is it a toll free #.
3) I’ve ran windows up date several times no help.
4) Windows trouble shooter as well as a search on code 10 says to update the device driver; driver update says no new driver is available.
5) Tried replacing the USB wire that came with the burner to one that I know works.
6) I’ve tried putting the in a different USB port (and repeating the above) same problem. (I’ve plugged in other device in those same port and they have all worked fine). I also check and all the wire are put in tight.
7) Doing a web search I found out that some times the USB port can’t provide enough power to a device (jump drive etc.) but the drive has it own external power I would assume that would satisfy it’s power requirements. Device manager says the USB port has a max of 500 mA per port, it also say the “USB mass storage” device that supposed to be my burner is using two mA.

The only thing that I can think of that I have left to try before return the thing is hooking it up to another computer and seeing what happens.

My computer specs (which all meet or exceed the drives listed requirements)
Laptop: Compaq Persario x 1000
Intel M processor 1.4 Ghz
786 MB of Ram

Anyone have an ideas I missed on what the problem could be?

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > External DVD burner issue: This device cannot start. (Code 10)