Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Why people buy from dell...

jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:35 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:35 PM #1 of 27
Why people buy from dell...

I don't really understand why businesses and people in general buy from dell.

Today at staples I saw an hp. 250 gig hard drive. 1 gig of memory. 2 CPUs (amd athlon 64bit). xp pro media center edition. yada yada yada for about $700. If I configured this computer at dell, it would cost probably twice as much!

Why?
I don't understand why I even buy dells. I love dells, I hate HPs. Am I missing something?

Most amazing jew boots
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:37 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 06:37 PM #2 of 27
Well, most buisnesses usually don't use computers that powerful. Afterall, they're only doing word proccessing, intarweb, and powerpoint. They can buy moderately powerful computers in bulk from Dell at a cheap cheap price.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 09:59 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 07:59 PM #3 of 27
I was just able to configure a computer on Dell's website with those stats you listed for $783.

The question is why you buy Dells or HPs.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
and Brandy does her best to understand
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:19 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 08:19 PM #4 of 27
Dell also tends to have 35%-40% off of said computer as well as offering ridiculous package deals for bulk purchases by businesses. Honestly, I've been building computers for a long time, but these days you hardly save any money by building your own compared to having Dell do it for you. Of course, when you build a computer, you tend to have the choice of selecting quality parts for every aspect which isn't always the case with Dells.

But most people don't have the knowledge to build their own computers, so I can understand why they go for Dell. And having to build 100+ computers for a business would suck ass. No way in hell I'd ever do that. Also, did this computer come with a monitor? Most Dell computers also throw in a virtually free 17 or 19 inch decent quality LCD monitor.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Cetra; Jun 20, 2006 at 11:23 PM.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:57 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 10:57 PM #5 of 27
Personally, I don't like Dells. When they have to get serviced, they put stuff in the cases in ridiculous locations that make it IMPOSSIBLE to do anything with. And if you call tech support, IF you get a person (after navigating their horrible menu) you probably will get some Indian guy who speaks crappy English and sounds like Apu, only worse.

HPs, Gateways, and eMachines (which are basically low-cost Gateways) are a lot easier to deal with if they do break. Sure, I'm speaking from a technician standpoint, but would you rather have to send your computer to a local techie or send it out which will take a lot longer?

But generally, when getting a name brand, whether Dell, HP, whatever, people are doing it because...

1) They know jack about computers.
2) If they do know something, they don't know how to build.
3) They don't need something fancy, which typically buying something of low power from a company is cheaper.
4) Bulk purchasing, usually of the item above.

Honestly, the worst computer brand to buy? IBM. They're even worse than Dell.

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2006, 11:07 PM #6 of 27
Dells are actually pretty darned simple to work with the innards of. I mean everything basically snaps into place with a plastic tab or two, allowing you to move just about any part out of your way pretty easily. Even the small form factor Optiplexes are pretty simple to handle.

And yes, if you buy from Dell and skimp on the support contract, you will speak to India, this is fact. But if you pony up the extra fifty bucks, you can get pretty competant Texans or Alabamians {a buddy of mine works for a subcontracted Dell tech support call center in north Alabama, so if you have an Optiplex and call in, you may speak to him. He'll treat you real nice}. Also, if you get the decent service contract with Dell, they will send a {somewhat competant} technician to your location to replace parts. Of course, I always decline that, since it takes their guys an hour and a half to swap the motherboard of a laptop, while it takes me like twenty minutes. Like I want to babysit some tech for an hour and a half while he fumbles around with "I am missing one screw, let me find it."

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 01:00 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 12:00 AM #7 of 27
Originally Posted by Sir VG

Honestly, the worst computer brand to buy? IBM. They're even worse than Dell.
You do know IBM doesn't even make computers anymore?

FELIPE NO

brndtsnFN
Carob Nut

Member 3881

Level 5.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:28 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 03:28 PM #8 of 27
I have a DELL laptop, love it, havnt needed to call customer support
ive actually dealed with Dell's customer service before (for a friend's laptop) and i have to say it wasn't bad at all, actually good, i guess i just got lucky...

i wouldn't buy a Dell pc, but i wouldn't buy any from a manufacturer, id just build it myself, but Dell makes good laptops and good LCDs and with their coupons, there price is unbeatable, at least in my experience

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:38 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 03:38 PM #9 of 27
Originally Posted by Stealth
You do know IBM doesn't even make computers anymore?
Oh yeah. It's some Chinese computer geek wannabees that just slap IBM on the label so people buy the product.

Cause it certainly seems to me that IBM STILL MAKES COMPUTERS.

Hell, they're packaging some of their servers with Nitix.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:43 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 05:43 PM #10 of 27
Originally Posted by brndtsnFN
I have a DELL laptop, love it, havnt needed to call customer support
ive actually dealed with Dell's customer service before (for a friend's laptop) and i have to say it wasn't bad at all, actually good, i guess i just got lucky...

i wouldn't buy a Dell pc, but i wouldn't buy any from a manufacturer, id just build it myself, but Dell makes good laptops and good LCDs and with their coupons, there price is unbeatable, at least in my experience
I love dells to: if you haven't read this yet...
1. I love trying to figure out if I am a Home Office or a Small Business. What if I am a large business run from my home? Yikes!!

2. I want to own technology that is at least 6 months out of date...it makes me feel safe. I think the world moves too fast. So I sure don't want my computer to move fast too.

3. I love a web site that requires seven pages of ordering to see my final price. I have nothing but time on my hands!

4. I enjoy having to fill out reams of paperwork to get the money I overpaid back in a rebate check. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you have loaned $200 of your money to a corporate giant for three months (Interest Free)

5. Paying so much extra for a laptop helps me to feel as if I have contributed to the economy.

6. I appreciate how hard I have to look around the DELL site just to see if the laptop has a USB port. DELL must figure that this weeds out the idiots from the rest of us. If I cant figure out were your specifications page is, then I am too dumb to own a DELL laptop to begin with. Keep that page buried, the strong will find it.

7. I like the fact that my Technical Support is redirected to India. They have such cool accents.

8. Great idea selling my "on site" warranty service to the lowest bidder in my neighborhood. I think it is very nice you find work for the hardware technicians in my area that are not good enough to find work on their own. In addition, I like having this person in my house seeing all my other great toys. Maybe he can set the clock on my VCR for me.

9. DELL does not give me a free carry case. Good idea. That is also why I bought a car without rust proofing or bumpers.

10. I appreciate the fact DELL feels I only need free technical support for one year. Why would I want lifetime free support? You think I am an idiot or something? If I need help after one year, well then I deserve to pay for it.

Or put simply, don't buy a DELL laptop.
_______
Quote:

Oh yeah. It's some Chinese computer geek wannabees that just slap IBM on the label so people buy the product.

Cause it certainly seems to me that IBM STILL MAKES COMPUTERS.

Hell, they're packaging some of their servers with Nitix.
Ya, they'll always make servers. Wow, don't have a wide variety of desktops. Wonder how much one of those things cost!
Joseph

YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:07 PM #11 of 27
Servers? Sure, but above all else IBM is known for its mainframes. When you need to make sure your application will run for the next three decades uninterrupted, and want space for expansion, then there's the zSeries, or whatever they call them now. Those things can still run code written for the System/360 architecture, first shipped back in 1965.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:47 AM #12 of 27
Why do people buy dell, they've got some ridiculously cheap packages. I own two Dell desktops despite me personally hating Dell. Why do I have them? They're dirt cheap. Here's this ad in the newspaper today from Dell:

Dimension 3100 Desktop

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 521 (2.8GHz)
Windows XP Home Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2
80GB SATA HDD
48x CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Dell 17" LCD Monitor

Price: $419

Yeah, that monitor alone would cost ~$150, Processor maybe about $120? The RAM is pretty cheap but still at about $80. Add in a Mobo ($100), Assume you have your own case and drives and keyboards, etc. , that's about $450. And Dell builds it for you. Wanna play some games? Dump about $150 into a GeForce 7600GT and you got yourself a decent gaming machine at about $569.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by jsphweid
I don't really understand why businesses and people in general buy from dell.

Today at staples I saw an hp. 250 gig hard drive. 1 gig of memory. 2 CPUs (amd athlon 64bit). xp pro media center edition. yada yada yada for about $700. If I configured this computer at dell, it would cost probably twice as much!

Why?
I don't understand why I even buy dells. I love dells, I hate HPs. Am I missing something?
First of all, you're at Staples, a store that always has discounts. My friend bought this computer a while ago. It's a nice computer at a low pricetag. Despite all that, if you're talking about gaming performance, even with a Radeon Xpress 200M, it's still relatively weak. If you're talking multitasking, it's awesome. That and you probably didn't get a monitor with that, unless there was some special deal. I'm not defending Dell here, I'm just reinforcing the fact that they have massively manufactured computers that are dirt cheap. They have good ones too, but those tend to be a lot more expensive.

Last edited by Omnislash124; Jun 22, 2006 at 08:53 AM.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:19 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 08:19 AM #13 of 27
Quote:
Why do people buy dell, they've got some ridiculously cheap packages.
Cheap != Good.

Also, have you ever tried calling their tech support lines? I've had the unfortunate opportunity to do this (one of our work computers is a Dell and the HD blew out on it) and MY GAWD. Awful shit man.

And trying to fix some of them yourself requires you to perform feats of god, given placements of some of the items.

russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:18 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 10:18 AM #14 of 27
And trying to fix some of them yourself requires you to perform feats of god, given placements of some of the items.
Originally Posted by russ
Dells are actually pretty darned simple to work with the innards of. I mean everything basically snaps into place with a plastic tab or two, allowing you to move just about any part out of your way pretty easily. Even the small form factor Optiplexes are pretty simple to handle.
It's really not that difficult if you open your eyes and analyze what you are looking at before you start trying to rip stuff out man.

Most amazing jew boots
Luxo
Hey! Listen!

Member 2675

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:36 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 10:36 AM #15 of 27
Well, from an historical perspective, IBM's are pretty much the worst of the lot, due to their lack of standard parts (most of their parts are manufactured with different sizes so they won't fit on other cases). I should know, because I own one, and it's been a pain in the ass. I'll just build one myself later.

Also, I bet you didn't know that the resistors on IBM motherboards are made to suck ass.

FELIPE NO
Vibrate
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:03 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 09:03 AM #16 of 27
Cheap != Good.

Also, have you ever tried calling their tech support lines? I've had the unfortunate opportunity to do this (one of our work computers is a Dell and the HD blew out on it) and MY GAWD. Awful shit man.

And yet my company has 425 Dell made Optiplex desktops and I've had a total of ZERO hardware failures on any of them since we purchased them 2 years ago.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:15 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 10:15 AM #17 of 27
Originally Posted by Cetra
And yet my company has 425 Dell made Optiplex desktops and I've had a total of ZERO hardware failures on any of them since we purchased them 2 years ago.
One might expect a difference between high-end server hardware and cheap-as-free consumer PCs.

Most amazing jew boots
russ

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:24 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 11:24 AM #18 of 27
That's pretty lucky. I've probably bought 200 or so Optiplexes {small form factor GX280s, small form factor GX620s, and fullsize desktop GX280s and GX620s} in the past year and a half and have had a handful have issues, like bad memory and bad hard drives, but not enough of them to get irritated about, since we order through the premier page and I get gold tech support on all my machines, I usually get to talk to someone in Texas when I have a problem.

Originally Posted by rendr
One might expect a difference between high-end server hardware and cheap-as-free consumer PCs.
What are you talking about bro.

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:59 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 11:59 AM #19 of 27
And I've dealt with a bunch that have had hard drives blow up. Never in any other brands though. It's ALWAYS a Dell.

Quote:
It's really not that difficult if you open your eyes and analyze what you are looking at before you start trying to rip stuff out man.
Heh. You should have seen this one computer I had to work with. Total pain in the ass. You needed a steel claw to get into the HD bay due to its positioning.

Quote:
Well, from an historical perspective, IBM's are pretty much the worst of the lot, due to their lack of standard parts (most of their parts are manufactured with different sizes so they won't fit on other cases). I should know, because I own one, and it's been a pain in the ass. I'll just build one myself later.
Agreed. What sucks even worse is their substandard case sizes. Our IBMs at one work place is too small that it doesn't fit any standard expansion cards - you have to take the brace off. What a crock.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 02:20 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 12:20 PM #20 of 27
Originally Posted by russ
What are you talking about bro.
Mental lapse. Dell servers are called PowerEdge, not Optiplex.

PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:47 PM #21 of 27
And Dell's servers come with reasonable support, decent prices, and are well built. Their options are limited, but you can usually find a configuration that'll do.

Just last week they had a 25% off sale on servers, allowed us to pick up two servers and cluster them while remaining well under budget. They aren't top of the line, but they are more than sufficient to do what I need.

I haven't had good experience with their desktops though. Not that they seem much worse than any other OEM, or even most home made machines.

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:06 AM #22 of 27
Cheap != Good.

Never had to, Never broken down. Nice reliable machine. Then again, I just switch out stuff when they break. But it's not like everything's broken, the only thing that died is a RAM stick (128MB....lol). I popped in a graphics card, and it's a very nice machine.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 05:25 AM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 11:25 AM #23 of 27
Digging up a recent article I read......

Quote:
The Inquirer 6.21.06 -

An attendee at a conference in Japan was sat just feet away from a laptop computer that suddenly exploded into flames, in what could have been a deadly accident.

Guilhem, our astonished reader reports: "The damn thing was on fire and produced several explosions for more than five minutes".

Should you witness such an event, his advice is, "Don't try anything courageous/stupid, stay away, away, away!"

"For the record, this is a Dell machine," notes Guilhem. "It is only a matter of time until such an incident breaks out on a plane," he suggests.

Guilhem managed to catch all the action in these amazing pictures.

"Fire extinguishers leave a mess on your suit and belongings; pack your stuff (if you can) and leave, leave, leave!" he advises.

We don't have any further details of the model of the computer in question. In light of the evidence, however, we'd suggest you avoid actually using a laptop on your lap. Ouch.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Jun 25, 2006 at 08:01 AM.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:29 AM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 06:29 AM #24 of 27
My gawd, THAT IS HILARIOUS.

Good job Dell. :thumbsup:

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:59 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2006, 11:59 PM #25 of 27
Why people buy from Dell? I'll tell you, for the same reason I did so tonight. We are lazy and need them to configure the PC for us. Well, that is my excuse anyway...

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Why people buy from dell...