Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Audio out from notebook to stereo

Gunner K2
In the shadows

Member 1102

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:05 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 01:05 PM #1 of 6
Audio out from notebook to stereo

I have a Dell Inspiron 1705. According to the user's manual, if you want to connect the notebook to an extrernal audio device, you start with both the computer and stereo (or whatever) turned off. Then you connect a standard audio cable (one jack on one end and two RCA connectors on the other, one white and one red) with the RCA jacks going to the stereo. Then you turn on the stereo first and then the computer. Okay, simple. But it doesn't work for me. I suspect that the most likely cause is a bad cable but it could be something with the stereo. My computer is brand new, so I'm pretty sure that's not where the problem is. When I attempt to play audio, there is no sound from either the PC or the stereo. If I remove the jack from the computer, the audio plays through the computer's speakers, just like what happens when you disconnect headphones (headphones work, by the way, more proof that the laptop is fine). The same thing happened when I used the same cable to attempt to connect to my TV for audio output. So I think I'm either missing something here or my audio cable doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:26 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 08:26 PM #2 of 6
Your cable is most definitely broken.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:01 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 02:01 PM #3 of 6
I don't see how it couldn't be the cable. You can get a 6' replacement one at Radioshack for $5-$10.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gunner K2
In the shadows

Member 1102

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:39 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 03:39 PM #4 of 6
I got a new cable and it still does not work.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 06:24 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 04:24 PM #5 of 6
Try turning all of your volume settings to max in Windows. Maybe also try using it with a different stereo. Also, be sure that you're plugging into an audio input slot with your stereo and not an output as well as having all of your stereo's settings configured properly.

Have you tried plugging the cable into a portable cd/mp3 player and then into your stereo to see if it works that way?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Gunner K2
In the shadows

Member 1102

Level 6.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 06:52 PM #6 of 6
I only have the one stereo so I can't try other systems yet. I just tried your suggestion of connecting a portable CD player and it didn't work. Guess it must be something with the stereo. It's actually my brother's so I'm sure he's lost the manual by now, making things harder. Hopefully he actually has it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Audio out from notebook to stereo