Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Questions before setting up a music server

takeru
shake it baby!

Member 7507

Level 8.18

May 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 03:20 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 10:20 AM #1 of 6
Questions before setting up a music server

Hi people, i'd like to set up a new server with game and not game music. My question is this. How much bandwith do you think is the less I should have to give a good service? 5 kb? My problem is I have ADSL, so downloading is 1 mb but uploading is just 128 kb (in other words, downings at 130 kb at max. and upping at 23-24; more than this problems start).

If I gave 2 or 3 slots with 5 kb could be enough?

Well, I wait for your advices and comments

Jam it back in, in the dark.
NYRSkate
Happy Hour in Hell's Sports Bar

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 03:28 AM #2 of 6
Moving to Behind the Music.

If you want to make available 10 KB/sec, split it into 2 accounts, if you want to make available 15, split it into 3. Make sure that people can at least get 5 KB/sec if you want them to be happy with your service.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
takeru
shake it baby!

Member 7507

Level 8.18

May 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: May 28, 2006, 11:03 AM #3 of 6
Mmmm, ok; I'll have to make some test before, 'cos ratios can vary a lot depending of how much people "suck". Waiting for more comments here. If you agree with NYRS, tell me too.

Most amazing jew boots
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 01:15 PM #4 of 6
I think in your case, two accounts with between 8 and 10 kb/s would be best. The problem with spreading your bandwidth so thin is more people will be able to connect, but it will take them a long time to compete their transfers. I'd argue that it's better to have fewer accounts with higher speeds and have a 'look' account so people can start queuing up.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
takeru
shake it baby!

Member 7507

Level 8.18

May 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 02:37 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 09:37 AM #5 of 6
Thank you everyone for the answers. I'm agree with ya tenseiken; maybe the best situation would be 2 people with a good downloading ratio to give the possibility of completing their soundtracks, and also a limitation of 2 or 3 CDs by day or something like this.

I was speaking idiomatically.
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 01:35 PM #6 of 6
Sound pretty reasonable to me. Good luck with your server.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Questions before setting up a music server