Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Bitrate conversion question.

Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:38 PM #1 of 11
Bitrate conversion question.

Alright here's the problem.

I might be making a Xenosaga III rip for all the songs that are missing, but I encountered a small problem.

I have access to all the songs on the DVD, but they have a bitrate of either 24000 or 48000. I can convert the wav files to those bitrates, but Exact Audio Copy only takes on 44100 bitrates. If I convert them to that bitrate there's a noticable quality drop, so my question is, is there any way to change it to that bitrate, without changing the actual quality?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
tenseiken
Syklis Green

Member 532

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:39 PM #2 of 11
You're talking about sample rates, not bitrates, just FYI. It's 44100 Hz, not 44100 kb/s.

The best way to do it would probably be to use an encoder that doesn't force you to use 44100 Hz wav files as input. Try foobar2k or the BlueRazorLame frontend, as I know for a fact that they will take a 48000 Hz wav as input.

If you're dead set on resampling to 44100 (which really isn't necessary), what you need is a resampler that does nothing but resample. If you're losing quality, your converter is probably doing more than just resampling, or the resampler could just suck. There may be a simpler way to do this, but my personal suggestion would be using the BeSweetGUI and running it through nothing but the SSRC resampler.

Go here for BeSweet, which includes SSRC, and here for the BeSweetGUI, which makes using BeSweet easier.

Extract them both and run BeSweetGUI, then use the browse button beside BeSweet.exe to point the GUI at BeSweet. After that, select your input and output files the same way. Next, make sure that only SSRC is ticked on that main page. The tooltip should say SSRC - Resampling frequency : 44100. If it doesn't, click the SSRC button over on the right and change the value in the 'set sampling rate of outputfile' to 44100. After that, you're ready to go. BeSweet should do nothing but run it through SSRC and you end up with a 44100 Hz wav file that should sound exactly like the 48000 or whatever one did.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by tenseiken; Nov 16, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
Slogra
Wark!

Member 1085

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 01:48 PM #3 of 11
hmm, tenseiken was faster but here is my answer (i would use foobar for resampling AND mp3 conversion):

I guess you mean samplerate in stead of bitrate. Changing the samplerate (resample) will lower the quality. But if you use a good convertor the quality drop can be very small and unnoticable.

Personally i would convert them all to 48khz (or maybe 44.1khz) and then convert them to mp3 with lame -V2. Foobar2000 has a neat convert option that you can use for resampling and mp3 encoding.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 02:26 PM #4 of 11
Yeah my bad I guess it's samplerate.

I don't really mind if they stay 24000 or 48000 Khz. I just don't want the quality to drop, and it really noticable when I tried to convert it.

I'll give Foobar a shot.

Thanks.

How ya doing, buddy?

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Slogra
Wark!

Member 1085

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 11, 2006, 04:39 PM #5 of 11
btw i've read that the SRC (Secret Rabit Code) resampler should give a better quality than the standard foobar resampler. www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html

I was speaking idiomatically.
SenorKaffee
Cry mich ein river

Member 422

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 03:55 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2006, 09:55 AM #6 of 11
If if use "-V2 --vbr-new" LAME reports "Encoding as 24 khz"... so I´d say there is no conversion going on when you use LAME.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Everything´s getting better.
Nothing´s getting good.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2006, 10:21 AM #7 of 11
Originally Posted by Slogra
btw i've read that the SRC (Secret Rabit Code) resampler should give a better quality than the standard foobar resampler. www.mega-nerd.com/SRC/fb2k.html
foobar's resampler is very good. I wouldn't take chances trying something else. Are you sure these mega-nerd people are trustworthy?

FELIPE NO
Moguta
Tentacle Extraordinaire

Member 15679

Level 12.01

Nov 2006

Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:59 PM #8 of 11
Actually, I've read on the HA forums that SSRC (what Foobar uses by default, I believe) is more of a quick open-source sample-rate converter than a high-quality one. I have no idea about this SRC (Secret Rabbit Code), though. You could always try it out, and compare results.

Alternately, you could just use LAME to encode it without converting. It will handle 24KHz sample rates, although I'm not certain how well it works with them.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Good morning, post-apocalyptia!

Last edited by Moguta; Dec 17, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
Killy
Xmd5a

Member 324

Level 27.07

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2006, 05:10 AM #9 of 11
You could also use any audio editing software such as Adobe Audition and upsample/downsample the .wavs respectively. I usually do this when the .wavs don't pass through LAME, however I doubt there's any quality loss at all so it doesn't really matter whether you do or don't.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Slogra
Wark!

Member 1085

Level 3.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2006, 04:38 PM #10 of 11
The thing is that foobar comes with the PPHS resampler nowadays. I've never heard of that one...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2006, 06:15 AM #11 of 11
Yeah. It comes with PPHS now. SSRC and PPHS are both high-quality. SSRC used to be highly recommended on HA. Now they recommend PPHS, and as far as I know, it's mostly for producing less load on the CPU load, not because the quality is noticeably better.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > Behind the Music > Bitrate conversion question.