Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Laptop "Fun"

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:22 AM #1 of 4
Laptop "Fun"

I talked about this in chat a few weeks ago and they basically said "the laptop is dead" but I am hoping to get a bit more information. We think it's either the 1.) BIOS chip or 2.) motherboard.

Basically, about two weeks ago my wife turned on her laptop. She left the room and I just heard what seemed like the CD/DVD-rom attempting to spin forever. It did have a DVD inside so I took it out and...nothing.

I restarted the laptop, and it did hte same thing. It sounded like it would start to attempt to run the CD/DVD Rom, give up, and then I'd hear a very light, single click sound which I guess was a hard drive attempt. It would then go back to the CD/DVD Rom, and repeat said process. Nothing showed up on the screen, not even the splash screen. None of the F keys that would normally get us into the BIOS would respond either.

The laptop was about three years old. I wish I could give the specs but we bought it off my parents for my wife and I honestly never paid much attention to the specs other than it was significant better than my older laptop that I had given to my wife.

I did notice a COUPLE of times months ago the fan suddenly went at full speed for like a good minute at what seeme dto be startup but it hasn't happened lately. otherwise, the laptop seemed totally fine, has worked fine for months, and had worked earlier that afternoon when my wife turned it on and used it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:13 AM Local time: Jan 28, 2009, 03:13 AM #2 of 4
A few things spring to mind.

It could be booting normally (highly doubt this) but the monitor is borked in some way. Otherwise, it's like you said: BIOS or the motherboard. Either way, you're pretty much borked.

One question, though: It's not giving the POST beep at all?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2009, 08:39 PM #3 of 4
No POST at all. It turns on, and I hear the ever non-ending loop of CD-Rom and Hard Disk Drive.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2009, 09:30 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 10:30 AM #4 of 4
It's just like chat said, most likely a faulty motherboard or BIOS chip. Replace it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Laptop "Fun"