Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] Wipeout HD; Oh my God, look at the size of my erection, micropenis notwithstanding

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2008, 10:55 PM Local time: Sep 26, 2008, 07:55 PM 1 #1 of 38
Wipeout HD; Oh my God, look at the size of my erection, micropenis notwithstanding

Originally Posted by Colonel Skills
One of us needs to get off our lazy asses and make a thread for this game.
I'm just bored enough to be the man for the job.

Wipeout HD is basically a "best of" remix of the PSP games Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse. It's got the 8 best tracks (with forward and backward variants), and all of the music from those two PSP games. It has of course been prettied up to make use of the PS3's power, and it shows. It'll run in 1080p HDTV at a constant 60 frames per second, all with extremely high-res textures and fantastic effects.

Pics courtesy of OmagnusPrime:
Some screenshots taken real quick with WipEout's in-game photo mode, in case you were doubting how sexy this thing is (click for full 1080p size):

Still shots don't do the game justice. Seeing is believing when it's blazing along at 60 fps.

The game has a single player campaign mode, a quick race mode, two-player split screen multiplayer, and online 8-player multiplayer. The types of races include standard beat-the-rivals modes in single race and tournament varieties, as well as a hot lap and time trial solo modes. Perhaps the coolest is the Zone mode, where you are given a virtual reality ship that continuously accelerates, and your job is to try to stay out of the walls and stay alive as long as possible. Oh yes, it also has trophies, so rejoice all you achievement whores.

All in all, this game is a huge amount of content for the $20 price. Download it off of the PSN store and come get raped in multiplayer by Colonel Skills today!

Edit: Official Website: http://www.wipeouthd.com/

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Animechanic; Sep 26, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:10 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2008, 09:10 AM #2 of 38
Well I was going to re-post the screenshots I'd taken, but I see no need. Good work Ani. And yeah, you need to see this thing in motion to really grasp how truly pretty it is.

I'm annoyed I missed out on whatever session you guys played last night, fuckers. But I am definitely up for a big GFF session online sometime soon (I shall be around over the weekend if anyone is game).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:04 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2008, 02:04 PM #3 of 38
Skills does rape. Most of his accomplished times are less than 2 minutes.

Fun playing with him though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2008, 04:10 PM #4 of 38
been toying around with the campaign, pretty damn fun.
Trying to get all golds and it's pretty easy once you figure out the track. Haven't tried online yet but let me know if you guys start up a game.
Also I completely love the treatment of the custom soundtracks in this game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

New Record!
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2008, 06:34 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2008, 11:34 PM #5 of 38
Because someone asked about alternate liveries, here's the two for AG Systems (first unlock in the first couple of pics, then the second unlock):

And a couple of bonus pics for fun:

I was speaking idiomatically.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:58 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2008, 07:58 PM #6 of 38
I booted the game up, and jesus do I suck. I managed to get gold on every race for the first track, but that took some effort - especially the 'zones' race.

I was looking at some of the trophies that revolve around zones - 20 consecutive perfect zones? Reach zone 50 using only the R2/L2 buttons? Zone 75?

Yeah, right. I can barely get to zone 20 with no restrictions as is...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2008, 12:25 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2008, 11:25 PM #7 of 38
Everytime I attempt the 20 consecutive perfect zones, I fuck up at around 17 or 18. Omagnus can testify to this, because I'll be chatting with him and say something like "Oh, watch me fuck it u...GOD DAMN IT". And then proceed to do zones 19 through 25 without issue. SO VERY ANNOYING. Granted, I've only taken three actual stabs at the trophy, so maybe I should try again.

I've never hit anywhere close to zone 75 on any game I've played that had the mode, but it might be possible on Anulpha Pass or Moa Therma with enough (read: Shit tonnes) of practice and luck.

FELIPE NO
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:29 AM Local time: Sep 28, 2008, 12:29 AM #8 of 38
Who cares about sucking. The only type of guy who can be exceedingly good at a game like this is someone like Skills. Someone without things like pussy or school to get in the way of his being very obsessively good at a video game.

Be like most of us. Just sit back, enjoy how fucking pretty it is, and then get EXTREME RAPED by Skills when you decide to have a friendly online race.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:42 AM #9 of 38
damn I so want this game now >.< but the stupid psn store just don't want to accept my credit card >.>

I guess I'll need to wait next month for the psn cards....

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2008, 01:47 AM Local time: Sep 27, 2008, 10:47 PM #10 of 38
Been racing online, and then decided to mess with photo mode.

Mirage team 2nd livery. Mirage team 3rd livery.

And, found this angle completely by accident, but liked it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Animechanic; Sep 28, 2008 at 01:52 AM.
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:05 AM Local time: Sep 28, 2008, 09:05 AM #11 of 38
Everytime I attempt the 20 consecutive perfect zones, I fuck up at around 17 or 18. Omagnus can testify to this, because I'll be chatting with him and say something like "Oh, watch me fuck it u...GOD DAMN IT".
This is true. I actually made an attempt at this yesterday as I noticed I was doing really well on Metropia. I think I got to 13/14 before thinking 'hey this is going wel... *GOD DAMN IT*'. So it's certainly not impossible, but it is definitely a challenge (but a good one at that).

Additional Spam:
On the topic of Zones and getting 20 consecutive perfect zones, I made it to 19 consecutive and then fucked up on the last one with the lightest of wall-grazes. Needless to say I was a touch annoyed at that.

Anyways, for the curious, here is Feisar's second and third liveries:

Additional Spam:
Fuck yes! Just got the trophy for 20 consecutive perfect zones. Ooooooh yeah.

Last edited by OmagnusPrime; Sep 28, 2008 at 04:08 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Karasu
... Boss. *broken rib*

Member 5720

Level 20.39

Apr 2006

Old Sep 28, 2008, 09:39 PM #12 of 38
Skills is a bitch in Wipeout. Motherfucker think its days of thunder, ramming people into walls and shit. Then he talks like he's from the projects afterwards. Cracker ass mofo.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 01:56 AM Local time: Sep 29, 2008, 12:56 AM #13 of 38

Most amazing jew boots
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:53 AM #14 of 38
This game looks gorgeous. Wish this was available on XBLA as well. I love the Wipeout games, but... well, I don't have a PS3. ...Guess I'll have to live with the PSP versions instead.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2008, 07:01 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2008, 04:01 PM #15 of 38
Since I didn't follow the other Wipeout games, I had no idea that each team represents a country or group of countries until I found this site. Kinda weird they left that info out of HD. It's not critical, by any means, but I like a bit of fluff.

FELIPE NO
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:41 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2008, 10:41 PM #16 of 38
So I'm sick of getting absolutely annihilated in online mode, and figured I should start unlocking more advanced ships beyond my beloved Assegai.

Thing is, these ships I'm unlocking blow.

Seriously, what advantage does Harimau have over Assegai? A -10 in thrust? What's the point.

Also, are you guys playing with auto pilot turned on? You basically need the reflexes and precision of a fucking cheetah to even get through a level without it...

I should just quit now .

Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:49 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2008, 07:49 PM #17 of 38
The Icaras is good, but only if you get the holeshot, manage to avoid getting shot up, and can stay out of the walls. It's fast enough that if you get out front you can leave everyone behind and have a peaceful race by yourself, but it's fragile, so getting stuck in the pack is bad.

I got sick of exploding and started using the Triakis for a while. It's amusing, but still hard to win with.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:40 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2008, 06:40 AM #18 of 38
So I'm sick of getting absolutely annihilated in online mode, and figured I should start unlocking more advanced ships beyond my beloved Assegai.
It has little to do with the ship you're flying and pretty much everything to do with how well you're flying it. I'm a fan of Feisar and have won plenty of races with that team online. The unlock teams aren't more advanced, they're just different. Plus Assegai are good team (just ask Skills), I'm thinking this is a 'behind the controller' issue.

Quote:
Also, are you guys playing with auto pilot turned on? You basically need the reflexes and precision of a fucking cheetah to even get through a level without it...
And this answers any questions about your ability. Jesus H Christ, do yourself a favour and turn the pilot assist crap off and learn to race properly.

How ya doing, buddy?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2008, 01:57 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2008, 11:57 PM #19 of 38
Since I didn't follow the other Wipeout games, I had no idea that each team represents a country or group of countries until I found this site.
Hah! That's great! I actually have the original WipeOut on PSOne (the one in the tall cardboard case) and it had a little supplement and minimal info on what country each team belonged to but nothing THAT expansive.

I always used Piranha myself but never really noticed any difference in how the teams differed other than color and ship designs. If you were good, you were good and that's what's always been so great about the Wipeout series; it's always been more about pilot skill and less about how fast one ship was than the next.

I really wish I could see this game on another console other than PS3 because, really, I don't want to get a PS3. My friend David got this game though and, goddamnit, I WANT a PS3 but I WON'T buy one because I haven't seen many games I like that aren't already on the 360.

It's kind of like having a raging hard-on and being hornier than Peter North yet refusing to bang that fat chick down the street who you KNOW will ride you like a veteran bull jockey. Sure it might seem like a good idea at the time; especially if you're drunk. But goddamnit, what are you gonna do when you sober up and realize there's only a couple positions you can beach the whale before you get bored.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2008, 02:04 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2008, 01:04 AM #20 of 38
That's quite possibly the best worst simile I've ever read, Paco. Thanks for that. <3

And while we're on the subject of dirty, scummy, asshole driving assists, why the fucking dog shit is there no option to force it off for multiplayer races? Nothing is more awesome than some shitclown pretending he's can actually compete on Phantom because he uses the fagboat assists.

Thankfully I don't think anyone on GFF I've raced actually uses it, so yay for that.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:06 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2008, 11:06 AM #21 of 38
Thankfully I don't think anyone on GFF I've raced actually uses it, so yay for that.
If they do, I think we should make it our mission to track them down and break their kneecaps, you know, because.

How ya doing, buddy?
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:11 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2008, 09:11 AM #22 of 38
Fuck you guys are passionate about no auto pilot. I think I'm going to stick to playing by myself a while longer...

I was wondering about the differing ship stats, mostly because it seems like that ship you use during Zones has all of its stats maxed out and I usually handle that thing fairly well compared to the other ones - mostly when it comes to turning.

Turning is probably my biggest flaw, actually. I always take the turns so goddamn wide that I just slow way down, even though I’m cranking the gas and the airbrake the entire time. Are you supposed to let up off of the gas at all for sharper turns? I never let go of X, but whoever I’m racing seems to just blaze right by me.

I should probably just start the campaign over without auto pilot, as that's the only way I'm going to learn.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:29 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2008, 02:29 PM #23 of 38
Turning is probably my biggest flaw, actually.
:GIANTFACEPALM:

Turning is sort of an issue in racing games. Unless it's a drag racing simulator, then you'd be sorted.

And yes, passionate about no auto pilot because it's actually a hinderance, and a false crutch. One you should abandon as soon as possible.

FELIPE NO
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:30 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2008, 07:30 AM #24 of 38
I think he's saying he's not good at turning, Prime.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2008, 09:46 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2008, 08:46 AM #25 of 38
I'm in the same boat as you eprox (i.e. I suck at the game), but the only thing that really remedies that is to play the game more. And you definitely need to do it without the auto pilot, because while it might help you not hit the walls, it doesn't help you find the best way to take turns (and thus retain your speed).

But yeah, I have no qualms about admitting I suck (as in, most people here on GFF would still slaughter me in a race), but with time I'm getting better and better at the game. I'm on the third event in the campaign mode, and I have a gold medal in every race so far. This is probably nothing for most of the people here, but for someone like me this is something that I thought would be damn near impossible. But all I do is keep doing is racing over and over again on a race until I get a gold. Yeah, this takes a bit of time, but it's the best way to learn a course.

That's just my two cents, anyway. It might not work for you, but you should give it a shot. Hopefully, since it's from someone around your skill level it'll help you out.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] Wipeout HD; Oh my God, look at the size of my erection, micropenis notwithstanding