Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Shenmue Chapter 1 ~ Yokosuka OST (TYCY-10034/5)

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 6, 2006, 11:58 PM Local time: May 6, 2006, 11:58 PM #1 of 6
Shenmue Chapter 1 ~ Yokosuka OST (TYCY-10034/5)

I was always very fond of this soundtrack. It is not one of my favorite soundtracks, but still as a whole it is very good. I can't really explain why it isn't one of top soundtracks in my opinion considering I like a lot of the tracks on it, however I just don't see it as one. Although I am sure others do.

Composed by:
Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Yuzo Koshiro, Takeshi Yanagawa, Osamu Murata, Ryuji Iuchi

- A great team effort I must say.

Disc One (67:31) - 20 Tracks

The first disc I would say starts off with a bang with the first two tracks being two of the best on the OST. I mean everything is perfect here. You got the main theme, which I say is probably the best main theme ever, and then the other main theme, which is just as good.

01 - Shenmue~Sedge Tree
10/10

02 - Shenfa~Sedge Flower
10/10

03 - Departure on a New Trip - A long track, but nevertheless a great track. This one might have to grow on some, but it truly is a very well done piece. The transition at 3:25 is really nice too.
8/10

04 - Encounter with Destiny - This track is really nothing special. Nothing is really captivating in my opinion. Just signifies Ryo getting prepared bascally.
5/10

05 - Christmas on Dobuita Street - This track fits perfectly when Ryo is wandering around Dobuita. A perfect piece that signifies a time of calmness.
9/10

06 - The Sadness I Carry on my Shoulders - Ah the time when Ryo is having tough times coping with his sadness. Slow yet reveals so much. Another excellent piece.
8.5/10

07 - Cherry Blossom Wind Dance - Meh. It is alright for like the first 30 seconds, but gets boring when basically is just repeats over and over.
3/10

08 - Nozomi's Confession - I enjoy this one. It is all piano work and does a good job with it. If I knew how to play the piano, I would definitely be playing this.
7/10

09 - Nozomi and Ryo - This is the same theme as the last one, but now it isn't just with the piano. I think it sounds better with more instruments, but that is just me. You may think otherwise.
7.5/10

10 - Rain - Only a minute long, but an alright track. I think it fits the situation in the game, but it's not much to listen to outside of the game.
5/10

11 - Daily Agony - Another average track that I enjoy here and there. Not much to say.
6/10

12 - Tears of Separation - This track signifies Ryo's leave from his family and Nozomi. Overall I think the track is pretty well done. I like the general theme and the transition to the piano near the end.
7.5/10

13 - Sadness and Hope - Another slow piece as a lot of the Shenmue tracks are. This track is brilliant though in my opinion. It does exactly what the title says when listening.
9/10

14 - Dawn - The dawn right before the departure. This one is a variant of Shenfa I believe.
7/10

15- Departure - Man I love this one. It is different from the other tracks before it and succeeds in captivating me.
9/10

16 - Antiquity Tree - Variant of the main theme Shenmue. I like it and it is especially good for bar music or the like. In fact, I think it is in a bar in Shenmue, not sure though.
8/10

17 - Flower Girl - A fast variant of a part of the main theme Shenmue. Okay, but only 54 seconds long.
7/10

Arranged versions of a few tracks above

18 - Departure on a New Trip - The slower and much quieter version of the track. I prefer the original.
7.5/10

19 - Shenmue~Sedge Tree - First thing you'll notice about this track is that it is almost five minutes longer then the original. It starts off slow, like you don't know where it is going, then at 1:45 it leads into the classic shenmue theme, but a much slower version, compared to the original. Then it goes to a nice little piece and then goes back a different arranged shenmue theme.
8.0/10

20 - Shenfa~Sedge Flower - Calmer and more soothing version here in the beginning and I prefer the original part here. Although, I love the turn at 2:30.
9.0/10

Disc Two (59:10) - 19 Tracks

01 - Snowy Scenery - Great beginning to this track, I recommend having your volume turned up real loud and you'll be in for a surprise. I really like this song, and how all the instruments mix together to come out with a great sound.
8.5/10

02 - Snowy Scenery~Version 2 - This one is almost the same except that it starts off a little different.
8.5/10

03 - Separated from Yokosuka - An average track I think. It has a nice little melody.
6.0/10

04 - Departure for Hope - A sad, emotional track that reveals in a way, what Ryo is going through with the death of his father. Nothing bad about this slow piece.
8.0/10

05 - To Fly Vacantly, Like an Eagle - This track I would say is a track that is very different then the others, but being different is not always bad.
7.5/10

06 - Memories of Distant Days - Song where Ryo remembers spending time with his father. Great theme here.
9/10

06 - Memories of Distant Days Version2 Same song, but uses a different main instrument.
9/10

08 - The Place Where the Sun Sets - Sun sets is an ok track, but nothing to go crazy over. Nice little melody.
7/10

09 - The Place Where the Sun Sets Version 2 - Same song with different instrument I think
7/10

10 - Working Man - FORKLIFT. Good song for it I think, though it gets repetitive to quickly.
6/10

11 - Snack Linda Theme - Unique track, good saxaphone playing here.
7.5/10

12 - Receive a Skill to Succeed - Two thumbs up. A highlight on this disc. Not a fast or slow song., but its just right. At 0:45 and 1:30 is the addicting part.
9.0/10

13 - Hip de Hop - Tom the hot dog man. You'll know who he is if you played hehe. A nice change of pace I guess here. A song that gets stuck in your head.
7.0/10

14 - Revenge of a Sailor - Wide variety of sounds that I don't think come together that great.
4/10

15 - Nightmare - The song that plays during Ryo's nightmares.
5.0/10

16 - Secret of a Warehouse - Good track, though not anything really stands out in it.
6.5/10

17 - To the Sea and the Continent Beyond - Now I like this one though some may disagree. This is the battle theme where you have to waste like 70 guys or somewhere around there. It has a main beat to it with nice background music.
8.0/10

18 - Wish... - Getting close to the end of the second disc..must be good right...RIGHT. This is the only vocal track on the soundtrack and it is amazing. Spoken in Japenese and English. I don't know who sings it, but she has a great voice. Also, if you don't remember this is the track that plays during the motorcycle scene after Ryo rescues Nozomi.
10/10

19 - Wish...~Karaoke Version - Same as above, though it is not vocal. I guess you are supposed to sing along. =D
10/10

What are your thoughts on this soundtrack?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:25 PM Local time: Jun 4, 2006, 12:25 AM #2 of 6
This is one of few amazing poorly underrated soundtracks. It seems not much people listen to it. I dont play Shenmue, and I dont even bother to touch it before it was mentioned in some article that Shenmue Music would be performed in the PLAY symphony concert.

I must say the music is great, nicely done and done by good synthesizer. I always imagine nuisance of sunset when listening most of the tracks which are comforting and slow. I especially love the 201 Sedge Flower. The use of violin actually turned me on.

I give this soundtrack score 4/5. It's lovely, calming, and comforting but not that perfect since I hardly found any melodies memorable.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:13 PM #3 of 6
I like the main themes, as well as "To the Sea and the Continent Beyond". However, my one favorite is actually not on this album, or any of the other ones I've come across as of yet. That one would be the in-game version of "Christmas On Dobuita Street". The version on this album is still good, but I prefer the version that plays while Ryo is making a last walk through the place. At this rate, I think the only way I'll ever get it is if someone does their own rip of the game or Shenmue Passport. Then again, I hardly ever got to hear that version compared to the one on this album, so maybe I'd think differently if I actually got to hear and make somewhat of a comparison.

If you like this album, I highly recommend the "Shenmue Orchestra Version" album, if you don't already have it.

EDIT: I'm glad it's finally getting some recognition at PLAY.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Josiah; Jun 3, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:07 AM Local time: Jun 5, 2006, 12:07 AM #4 of 6
I have the Shenmue Passport rip. It contains 35 tracks. I am sure you can find it around here from some of the guys ftps.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Josiah
Normal Gym Leader

Member 412

Level 22.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 01:10 AM #5 of 6
I have it, but the track I speak of doesn't show up on the rip. It does play at some menus in Shenmue Passport, but again, it's not on the list of music ripped from Shenmue Passport's music menu.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Burp
Saving the world... but NOT for free

Member 10186

Level 12.97

Jul 2006

Old Jul 25, 2006, 05:11 AM Local time: Jul 25, 2006, 07:11 AM #6 of 6
Sedge Tree is a classic for me now, so emotive... every time i heard it i feel sorry for Ryo and his neverending story... =/

Working Man really got that "working song" feeling... i dont like Wish, dont ask me why... i just dont get it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Gamercafe.cl: Your source for game news in Spanish.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [Album] Shenmue Chapter 1 ~ Yokosuka OST (TYCY-10034/5)