Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Dragon Age: Origins

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2009, 02:23 AM Local time: Feb 21, 2009, 02:23 AM #1 of 27
Talking Dragon Age: Origins

By Bioware

Coming out for PC, 360, PS3 at the same time, sometime Sept or later. Developers call it the spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate, so fans of that series, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, etc will most likely want to check it out. Not dungeons & dragons though.

Main Site: http://dragonage.bioware.com/
-you can pretty much get all the information you want here.

From wikipedia:
Quote:
The designers are incorporating 'origin' stories for each race and some classes in the game. For example, a Dwarf Noble will begin the game as part of the royal family in one of the Dwarven cities, and a Dwarf Commoner will begin on the streets of the city. Origin stories determine the background of the player's character prior to the main events of the game's story, forming an introduction to the game world and hours of game-play. People that the player meets during the origin story may reappear throughout the game, some of whom may be adversaries.[7]

There is no tracking of alignment as in previous BioWare games,[8] but the moral choices of the main character throughout the game will still affect the story. You may save the world whether you are good or evil, but the decisions that you make in the process will change the world around you – deciding who will become King, for example, and affecting nations and races and their places in the world. These decisions will also influence your companion NPCs, and could ultimately lead to an NPC deciding to leave your party if he does not agree with your approach.[9]

As with the Baldur's Gate series, players will be able to issue orders to NPCs in real time or while the game is paused, and queue up actions such as spells and special attacks.[10]
These features are confirmed:[11]
  • Three base classes to choose from: rogue, warrior, or mage, and have your own origin story that affects the game as a whole.
  • Combat is real-time, tactical pause-and-play. (As in Baldur's Gate I & II)
  • The camera provides an over-the-shoulder viewpoint when zoomed in, or an isometric-style viewpoint when zoomed out.
  • Party-based gameplay with the player's character and up to 3 other characters chosen from a larger pool of NPCs during the game.
  • Spell interactions will be a new addition (e.g. ‘Blizzard’ can put out fires, and fire spells can ignite grease from a grease spell).

People will probably say they are dumbing down the game now because its coming out for a console, but that is just the state of games now, so deal with it =D They still will have the classic isometric camera if you want to be old-school. Anyway, it's coming out with a world builder (similar to what Bethesda does with the Elder Scrolls), so mods will be a plenty if you get the PC version.

Looks like it is going to have some good lore. And they already have a novel coming out.

YOU KNOW ITS GONNA BE GOOD

Jam it back in, in the dark.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:44 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 01:44 PM #2 of 27
They just need to get the writing to a high quality and it won't matter if there's a lot of dungeon crawling (as there seems to be). If the side quests are engaging besides what rewards you get from them, this will be awesome.

Only three base classes, I wonder how many races there and just how vast the character creation will be? I'd rather it be closer to BG than Jade Empire.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:03 AM Local time: Feb 24, 2009, 11:03 PM #3 of 27
I've been keeping an eye on this for awhile now. As mentioned, as long as the writing is quality, it's hard to go wrong with a good 'ole RPG.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old May 29, 2009, 03:01 PM Local time: May 29, 2009, 03:01 PM #4 of 27
Confirmed release date

YAY

Dragon Age dawns Oct. 20 - News at GameSpot

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2009, 01:22 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2009, 01:22 PM #5 of 27
CG Trailer showing a Gray Warden

Quote:
Dragon Age: Origins is a fantasy-themed RPG that sees you take on the role of a Gray Warden to lead the fight on the humans' side against an invading horde of creatures called the Blight.
Dragon Age: Origins Official Trailer 4 - GameSpot E3 2009 Official Trailer

Looks like an in game cutscenes here.
Dragon Age: Origins Stage Demo Official Trailer - GameSpot E3 2009 Official Trailer

Not a fan of the music, but pretty cool nonetheless.

And gamespots E3 impressions, who actually got to see a demo of it who reveal its not all about action you see in the trailers.
Dragon Age: Origins Updated Hands-On - Preview GameSpot E3 2009

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:42 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2009, 07:42 PM #6 of 27
Okay, so I'm wicked getting my hands on this cause bitchin', but do I go 360 with achievements and big tv awesome time, or do I go pc with user content?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:55 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2009, 06:55 PM #7 of 27
This game looks decent enough, and according to the developers, you can play the game kind of like 4 other games depending on your prefered play style:

You Can Play Dragon Age: Origins Sort Of Like Four Other Games - Dragon age: origins - Kotaku

Quote:
Gamers can play BioWare's next epic as if it was an action-role-playing game, an MMO, like Kingdom Hearts or like Final Fantasy XII, a company rep recently explained to Kotaku.
Article has details on each play-style

How ya doing, buddy?
Turbo
*blink*

Member 25

Level 21.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:23 PM #8 of 27
Pre ordered the digital deluxe edition off steam, as its a better price then in store anywhere and I get more goodies out of it. Looking forward to it on release

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:48 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2009, 10:48 PM #9 of 27
Bought the tangible collector's edition....you know so I get more than a couple in-game items.

This has been the game I'm looking forward to (ON THE PC) all year. Fuck everyone else, this will be awesome like Demons Souls and Brutal Legend and once again nobody will get it.

Yet.

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:12 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2009, 01:12 PM #10 of 27
It's been pushed back to Nov. 3rd apparently, which is both a blessing and a curse all things considered.

This allows me to get Borderlands when I get paid this Friday, and next payday I can pick this up, but it still sucks it got pushed back.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:21 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2009, 01:21 PM #11 of 27
I only knew it to have a November release, but my gripe is that among the free DLC, it has paid stuff on day one...if its that good, it should have been in the game. I hate paying extra for the entire game on launch day. -_-

How ya doing, buddy?
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:53 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2009, 01:53 PM #12 of 27
I've been tinkering around in the game for the last few days between work and borderlands, and I have to say that all in all, this is a thinking man's rpg.

I've been playing on normal and so far have spent about a total of 12 to 15 hours between three characters (rogue, warrior and mage of course) and the difficulty will have you going back to the auto saved position plenty of times.

The tactics for your party that you have to set up are almost downright essential if you want to live past the first part of the game, or else buy as many health potions as you can. It will require tinkering around with it, but hopefully once you have a good set up, you won't have to change it around for every single fight.

So far I've been impressed and I've been having fun, but this is not just a hack and slash RPG by any means, you MUST plan and set everything up accordingly, or even a lowly group of bandits could potentially stomp your ass.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:13 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2009, 05:13 PM #13 of 27
Grail, the tactics are important, but WAY more important for survival on high difficulties or later in the game on lower difficulties is pausing and setting up the next actions.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:54 AM Local time: Nov 11, 2009, 12:54 AM #14 of 27
Yeah, I'm loving the game so far, but if anything this game is either going to teach me how to be patient and plan out my attacks. It's not inherently bad, though most who came into thinking it would be a hack and slash may be disappointed as to how much you do have to pause and plan out your next attack.

From what I've seen with forum browsers, the game tends to be a lot easier if you just roll a mage and stick with it. Thus as I have a warrior, I really need to get me one of them.

Spoiler:
I know Morrigan has access to healing spells pretty much as soon as you get one level up with her, but she seems way more adapt at killing things than healing, but I'll take what I can get.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:34 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2009, 09:34 PM #15 of 27
Just use Wynne. She comes pre-installed with Group Heal.

How ya doing, buddy?

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2009, 03:31 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2009, 04:31 PM #16 of 27
Loving the game so far. Although it still kicks your ass even on the easiest difficulty setting.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2009, 04:46 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2009, 03:46 AM #17 of 27
I absolutely tore through the game on Easy. A couple pause and control other people bits, but my human rogue murdered the lowest difficulty.

P.S.

For entertainment sake, try and land the foursome with Isabella, your main character (female for me), Leliana and Zevran. If you pull it off, Zev gets a +7 and Lel stays neutral. Make it just you, Lel and Isabella in a girl triangle and Lel goes up 5 points. The bi-sexual girl shows a preference.

Seriously, can't put this game down. Starting in on my dwarf now, aiming to alienate a lot of people. Can't wait. My first time out I used (pre-dominantly) Wynne, Leliana, Shale and a DPS Rogue human female main. I had to be fairly goody goody throughout (Despite practicing some blood magic on a certain Thayn's wife. Couldn't be helped). This time through it's a dwarf warrior male. Looking to use Morrigan (with some healing tossed in), Alastair and Zev. Should make for some interesting times.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Nov 15, 2009 at 04:52 AM.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:07 AM #18 of 27
I'm about 47 hours in, just got all the pledges or w/e and I'm absolutely in love with this game. Orzimmar lasted way too fucking long though but that's about my only gripe so far. Also another tip, have your part members use a tactic to use Stonefist/Below The Belt and Frozen enemies and watch as you shatter enemies with full health. Baaaallin'

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:13 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2009, 10:13 AM #19 of 27
I'm about 47 hours in, just got all the pledges or w/e and I'm absolutely in love with this game. Orzimmar lasted way too fucking long though but that's about my only gripe so far. Also another tip, have your part members use a tactic to use Stonefist/Below The Belt and Frozen enemies and watch as you shatter enemies with full health. Baaaallin'
There's a trick using a couple mages in the party (user created + Morrigan), well, more a build than a trick, that basically involves freezing everyone and smashing them to bits. Breeze through huge mobs with it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:01 AM #20 of 27
It feels like they got everything right about past and present WRPGs. I'm honestly loving this game. It's hard to put down because I want to accomplish the next task. I haven't felt that way about a game in ages.
65.5 hours in the past week alone, Just beat it with that file at 55 hours and 25 minutes and I'm about to play through again.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:14 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 11:14 PM #21 of 27
EXPANSION PACK !

Dragon Age Origins - Awakening

to go along with that Return to ostagar content sometime at the end of the month. We are going to Orlais apparently for about 15 hours or so. This could be false though. More or less anyone know?

I haven't even finished the game yet due to it being extremely long and deep, but I am looking forward to it.

Actually its not DLC, its retail for 40 dollars. Didn't expect that.

Ramenbetsu

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:49 PM #22 of 27
I doubt it'll go for 40 on PC. Even if the MSRP is that high, I guarantee you'll find it cheaper pretty much on day one. Day one either way! Can't wait to here more Orlesians. <3 Leliana

khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 02:19 AM #23 of 27
I have this game but I haven't been able to get into it. I tried each of the race/class combinations briefly but felt distracted due to work and other games I was playing. Everyone praises this game so I suppose I should give it a shot.

On the expansion pack, isn't it early for an expansion? Or is it just worded badly and its just another small DLC similiar to the ones we got with the game? I guess that it is one way to go though, release new content quick while peoples interest in the game is still big...rather than hoping that an expansion will reignite their interest.

FELIPE NO
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:16 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 12:16 PM #24 of 27
With a retail price fo £40, it's unlikely to be a small DLC style expansion. Even though it'll sell for 2/3 that price in reality, that's the same price as Episodes From Liberty City so one would assume a similar sized product, i.e. a good 30 hours gameplay.

Elegy
Sea King!

Member 7052

Level 11.50

May 2006

Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:49 PM #25 of 27
I love this game. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a while, honestly. I've played through it a few times using different characters and setups. Mods of course make it a lot more fun. The music is also pretty nice and it's a shame some of it didn't make it on the osts. I used fsbext to get the stuff that didn't, so oh well.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Dragon Age: Origins