Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

static IP question

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:43 AM #1 of 5
static IP question

ok I wanted to put static ip to my computer and second computer + other thing that connect to my router (like ps3, psp and NDS)

the problem is I really doN,t know anything at all about static ip and all that

so I decide to follow that little guide, the problem I have is when they ask you go to network connection and to right click on a local area connection, I don't have any... the only thing I have there is this:

so I really don,t know what to do...

but I took some guess, and I know now how to check all those setting with the command ipconfig /all and all that, so I guessed that ip address was the static ip address of this computer (I may be wrong but I,m telling you what I did now)

so all I did is assign a static ip number that follow that one, for exemple if my ip was .2 then I assign .3 to second computer, .4 to ps3, .5 to psp and .6 to DS

was this a good idea?

but I never add any problem, I'm just checking if I did something wrong.

so I have a question about port-forwarding now:

when I open a port, at the end of the line they ask you to put the ip adress (like for this exemple it end in .2)

so if I open port 80 for the ip adress 192.168.1.2, will that port still be open for the other computer? even if they have a different static ip? that's what confuse me and that,s what push me to post how to proper setup my connection XD

I never add any problem with this setup, but seeing that I don't have any local area connection in my network connection, give me some doubt about my connection. and I don't even know if how I setup the other computer static ip was good.

so is there any problem here? XD

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:47 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 02:47 PM #2 of 5
To my knowledge, static IPs are obtainable only from your ISP. To bypass that and have dynamic IPs, you can use some sort of DYNDNS services.

And, I believe particular port forwarding entires work only for that IP, and only the particular IP, that you specified.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:01 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 08:01 AM #3 of 5
Forwarding a port to an IP address basically means that whenever a packet that is looking for that port number hits your router, the router forwards that packet to the computer at the IP address that you specified.

And yes zergrinch, you are partially right about static IPs being obtainable from the ISP, in that if you want your EXTERNAL IP address, i.e. the one that your router has, to be static, then yes, the ISP must provide that. HOWEVER, in this guy's situation, where he is only working inside of his own network, he can hand out statics all day, because they will recieve IP addresses that are only routable inside his own network. As long as he gives his workstations 192.168.x.x {some routers default to 192.168.2.x, some to 192.168.1.x}, he will be alright giving them static addresses. Now if he were to take that computer {or ps3 or whatever} and connect them directly to the internet, with no router in between, he would have to go in and clear the static IP that was set, so that it could pull a new, routable address from the ISP.

Double Post:
Also, port 80 is http, why would you want to forward that?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.

Last edited by russ; Dec 26, 2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:07 PM Local time: Dec 27, 2006, 01:07 AM #4 of 5
Ah, I understand. I generally don't assign static IPs at all, even internally. I just define Static DHCP entries using my computer's MAC address

I generally do not use Port Forwarding either - I find it too restrictive. I just define Port Triggering entries for specific internet ports.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 03:40 PM #5 of 5
ok thanks, so my setup should be ok ?

and for the port 80 it was just an example I just pick up the first number that came up XD

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > static IP question