Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] BLUR - Racing's not about winning, it's about making friends!

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:24 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2010, 06:24 PM #1 of 28
BLUR - Racing's not about winning, it's about making friends!

BLUR

So Omagnus sent me an invite for the multiplayer beta for this game and it turned out to be surprisingly fun! The tracks are not very good and extremely predictable but setting out on an over-the-top arcade race with 10-20 people wrecking each other's shit, it is utter cacophonous pandemonium and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I even got to sit in with Omagnus and Skills for a bit.

It's obviously not going to have the replay value and longevity of your Gran Turismos or Forza Motorsports but, in short bursts, this is really fucking cool.

I believe you can still sign up for the multiplayer beta at Gamespot but, you know, register at your own risk. Anyone else get to test drive this yet?

How ya doing, buddy?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:25 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2010, 07:25 PM #2 of 28
Where's your review? You've played a solid 1/16th of the game so you should be good to go, yeah?

Seriously, though, this game is way more Mario Kart than Grand Turismo. I like it. I won't buy it, but I'm enjoying the demo.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:33 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2010, 09:33 PM 1 #3 of 28
Where's your review? You've played a solid 1/16th of the game so you should be good to go, yeah?
This joke is so played out. We have a real habit of beating jokes into the ground. At least try to keep it topical.

Unrelated, but have you guys been keeping up with this Lorena Bobbit thing? You'd think that would hurt, but I heard he didn't even feel a prick.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 16, 2010, 07:09 PM Local time: Mar 16, 2010, 06:09 PM 4 #4 of 28

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:27 AM #5 of 28
This game appears to be the fruit of a... union among: Project Gotham Racing (just replace 'fans' with 'kudos'), Mario Kart (the zany weapons, many of which have an alt-fire mode), and CoD: Modern Warfare 2 (perks, er, mods; rank-associated unlocks; pr- ah, legend levels; tiered challenges). Sounds like a good deal of material to work through, though I'm not sure exactly how that compares to recent iterations of GT or Forza.
Been there, played that; had quite a bit of fun... with up to twenty folks in a race, expect things to get chaotic quickly. Now, they say pictures are worth a thousand words, but I'll skip those and just leave this here.

I was speaking idiomatically.
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:20 AM Local time: Mar 17, 2010, 10:20 PM #6 of 28
Sounds like a good deal of material to work through, though I'm not sure exactly how that compares to recent iterations of GT or Forza.
It's not supposed to. If you want a racing simulator, play either of those. This game is basically Mario Kart with real cars. It's not a groundbreaking title, but it's fun in short spurts. If that's not your thing, this game is probably not for you. This game actually reminds me a lot of Wipeout more than anything else and that's really why I dig it so much.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:29 AM Local time: Mar 17, 2010, 11:29 PM #7 of 28
If it were tight like Wipeout instead of overly loose, I'd like it a lot more. The current drift mechanics are my biggest gripe with the thing. If I'm dodging powerups actively, I'd like a bit more responsiveness in my handling than we've currently got.

That said, "short bursts" is something I can get behind. Play too long and the 1st to 7th place phenomenon starts getting really annoying.

Battle mode is a blast, though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Mar 18, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2010, 12:51 AM #8 of 28
Everytime I get on, despite having a bit of fun, I just wish I had a ps3 and Wipeout HD.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 06:42 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2010, 11:42 AM #9 of 28
As much as I've enjoyed messing with the beta for this (and I have, I'm still planning to get the game) it hasn't dented my excitement for Split/Second, which I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 11:56 AM #10 of 28
So is anyone else picking this up today? TRU has a $10 gift card promotion today, but if everyone else is sticking to Split/Second, I won't bother.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 11:57 AM Local time: May 25, 2010, 04:57 PM #11 of 28
My copy is coming at the end of the week, though between Red Dead and my trip out US way I won't be starting on it until mid-June, probably.

SimDaddyGT
Rage Prower

Member 92

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2010, 12:46 PM Local time: May 25, 2010, 12:46 PM #12 of 28
My copy should be available tomorrow, though I won't have a chance to pick it up until Thursday. How much time I'll spend on it before the meet and between Doom sessions, well, not really sure.

Most amazing jew boots
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:57 AM Local time: Jun 3, 2010, 08:57 AM #13 of 28
Rather than buy this game on my own, my sister proposed we go 50/50 on it and she bought it last Tuesday. Naturally, she stopped playing it but I've been having a blast playing it. They still didn't fix a lot of the same lagging issues I bitched about in the beta and it downright sucks getting mowed down by a level 42 when you're only at level 4 in a race that, logically enough, should only be for up to level 10 players. I'm really hoping they fix that though.

Another things is that the leveling system sounds pretty cool in theory: Win some fans even if you lose the race and slowly level up that way but pretty soon you're like at level 20 and have little to no skill to show for it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:03 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2010, 11:03 PM 1 #14 of 28
For anyone who hasn't bought this yet, right now you can get it for $10 new with a bit of effort.

Best Buy has it on sale for $40, and is offering a $10 off reward zone gamer's club coupon. Meanwhile, Activision also has a $20 off manufacturers coupon.

Get em here:

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/vie...jspx?tc=CPN_10
Blur | Receive $20.00 Coupon!

Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:44 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2010, 04:44 AM #15 of 28
Thanks for the links chanic! So a question: Are most people here playing on PSN, Live, or PC?

FELIPE NO
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:02 AM #16 of 28
I'm on Live. Seems like most of my friends have stuck with Split Second, so it would be nice to see more Blur players.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:11 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2010, 09:11 AM #17 of 28
I don't have Split/Second and, frankly, I didn't really like it when we played the demo at my sister's house. I'm still down to play some more blur. If you guys are down to set up a night for Blur, let me know and I'll get online. I haven't really had a good race since before I dipped out to Mexico.

LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:42 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2010, 08:42 AM #18 of 28
For anyone who hasn't bought this yet, right now you can get it for $10 new with a bit of effort.

Best Buy has it on sale for $40, and is offering a $10 off reward zone gamer's club coupon. Meanwhile, Activision also has a $20 off manufacturers coupon.

Get em here:

https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/vie...jspx?tc=CPN_10
Blur | Receive $20.00 Coupon!
The problem with that second coupon is that not all best buy's are accepting it. I saw it on slickdeals and they were getting announcements from users who tried it at different best buys. There are two best buys in my area within about 15 minutes of each other that give opposite results when you use it, heh.

I thought about getting Blur. I'm usually not much for racing games, but this looks interesting. I wanna play the demo before I buy it though.

Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
SimDaddyGT
Rage Prower

Member 92

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:58 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2010, 11:58 AM #19 of 28
I'm definitely in on this idea. If anything, wrecking and getting wrecked by fellow GFFers should make for some good laughs, especially if I ever have the op to wreck Omagnus before I lose any hopes of winning.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:05 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2010, 10:05 PM #20 of 28
Ha ha, how did I know my name was going to come up there Sim? Don't be hating.

I still haven't unwrapped my copy yet, though I do plan to do so soon. Need to finish off Red Dead first. So much stuff to play. That said, if a GFF session is happening do let me know I might just have to say fuck it and jump in on that shit.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:12 PM #21 of 28
The problem with that second coupon is that not all best buy's are accepting it. I saw it on slickdeals and they were getting announcements from users who tried it at different best buys. There are two best buys in my area within about 15 minutes of each other that give opposite results when you use it, heh.

I thought about getting Blur. I'm usually not much for racing games, but this looks interesting. I wanna play the demo before I buy it though.
I had middling results. My Best Buy cashier was going to do both coupons, but she called an assistant manager over to ask how to enter manufacturer coupons and he told her both couldn't be used at once. I would've argued it since she said several people had already used that coupon combo yesterday and today, but I had a $10 gift card to use at Target, so I just price-matched there. My Target is incredibly strict about anything that saves money, so I'm sure you'd have luck getting it for $20 after all this at Target if not $10 at Best Buy.

I'd definitely be down for some GFF Blur races.

Most amazing jew boots
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:20 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2010, 02:20 PM #22 of 28
Yeah, I have heard the same thing, but if you bitch enough and point out that it's a manufacturer's coupon so Best Buy is being reimbursed the $20 by Activision then they should shut up and accept it. If that doesn't work the other tactic is to tell them that you called Best Buy's 1-800 Customer Service number and they said that stores should accept the coupon.
I had middling results. My Best Buy cashier was going to do both coupons, but she called an assistant manager over to ask how to enter manufacturer coupons and he told her both couldn't be used at once.
Apparently they have to use the Manufacturer's coupon last otherwise it shows as invalid. So: Reward Zone coupon, blur, Reward Zone card or number, manufacturer's coupon.

Oh, and I think it would go without saying but the Reward Zone coupon requires you to be a Reward Zone member.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:41 PM #23 of 28
The problem wasn't that the computer wouldn't accept it, it was that the assistant manager read the fine print on one of them to mean it couldn't be used with a second coupon.

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:48 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2010, 07:48 PM #24 of 28
Not available in Canada of course, so if anyone has had luck with dual coupons and is willing to help a brother out, I'm all about the paypaling and such.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:36 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2010, 07:36 PM 1 #25 of 28
The problem wasn't that the computer wouldn't accept it, it was that the assistant manager read the fine print on one of them to mean it couldn't be used with a second coupon.
Well the coupon doesn't automatically work when scanned (they still have to manually enter the amount of the discount after telling the computer a manufacturer's coupon is being used), which is probably why most of the clueless cashiers call over a manager who then reads the fine print. If both coupons scanned and worked fine off the bat this deal would probably have a higher success rate.

Anyway, I was able to get a copy after going to three different stores. The closest store to me had three phantom copies somewhere, but since no one could find them they called the next closest store for me and had them save me a copy. When I went to get it, the lady cashier would not let me use both coupons, and neither did the lady manager that I asked to speak to.

So I then went to the next closest store and was in and out no problem in like three minutes. The guy cashier didn't even know how to do the manufacturer's coupon, but another guy cashier came over and helped him out and then everything was dandy.

The moral of this post: bros before hos. Yes, that's it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] BLUR - Racing's not about winning, it's about making friends!