Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Great Platformers

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:13 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 05:13 PM 1 #1 of 24
Great Platformers

So that VVVVVV thread made me think about some of the fun platformers I've played over time, and all the ones I remember my friends playing but I never got the chance to. So, I figure, why not make a thread for those of us that have missed out on various gems here and there.

The only game I can say I've really played that wasn't super common was The Lost Levels from Mario All Stars. It was difficult as hell, but I managed to beat every level in that stupid game without using save states. I remember one particularly cruel part in one of the last stages where you had to make a blind full-speed jump and hope there wasn't a piranha plant waiting for you on the other side.

I remember a bunch of my friends playing N and getting a real kick out of it, though I never seemed to catch on because I failed so hard at wall-jumping (which is kinda ironic since it's a feature I wish more platformers put in ).

So what are some of your favorites? Or, even if it's not a favorite, what's out there that's at least worth playing for a little while?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:27 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 07:27 PM #2 of 24
Well obvious ones are the Banjo games. Brilliant stuff, but platformer fans had to have played these.

I did really like Oddworld Munch's Oddysee for Xbox. Great humor in a similar vein to the Banjo games. I will admit I never played the original 2d ones though. Quite a unique game in my opinion.

-Sonic Adventure as well.

-Bubble Bobble too if that is even a platform game.

- Are the Jet Set Radio games platformers? Lots of jumping and shit in there. Very high quality, nothing like it.

Personally, I want to try Psychonauts at some point in the future.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:45 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 04:45 PM #3 of 24
Psychonauts is one of the best platformers I've ever played. I bought it on steam for $10, and it was well worth it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:06 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 06:06 PM #4 of 24
Cave Story.

Some are still reluctant to play.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:22 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 06:22 PM #5 of 24
Seconding N+, jumping ninjas never seems to get old.

A bog standard title nowdays is Super Mario World, but the custom levels and worlds that have come out years after the game has added to the re-playability, and I still pick it up and play a bit on occasion.

Also, two of the most enjoyable free games I've come across are Knytt and Knytt Stories, which are relaxing (or "Ambient") and intriguing platformers.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:11 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 07:11 PM #6 of 24
I forgot. Trine is also an excellent platformer. You can switch between three classes instantly to traverse terrain, pick up unreachable items and so on.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:16 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 08:16 PM #7 of 24
I really didn't like Trine. At all. It was like a weak ass Lost Vikings. Seconding Cave Story, adding in VVVVVV, seconding psychonauts, adding in Yoshi's Island, and thirding Cave Story cause it is that good.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:49 PM #8 of 24
Jak and Daxter. It was a very colorful game and the animation was really smooth with literally no lag at all. It could be challenging at times, but it was also fun. If you have a PS2 and love platformers, then I definitely recommend it and its sequel if you can find them.

I'll 2nd Sonic Adventure, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island. Top quality stuff there.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:53 PM #9 of 24
sonic 3 + sonic and knuckles.

Case closed. Shut it down.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I <3 Cheryl.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:41 AM Local time: Jan 14, 2010, 02:11 AM 1 #10 of 24
I've played the majority of my platformers during my nes and snes days, but ever since I've gotten into rpg's , playing platformers has been pretty much been on the backburner but instead of naming platformers that are pretty much well known I decided to pick out a few platformers I think people should definitely try out.

One of my favorite platformers for the nes is an awesome game known as Power Blade. It is pretty much a clone of mega man but it is actually a pretty awesome game and would recommend anybody give it a try. The music is pretty good, the weapons and levels very well designed and the bosses are actually pretty fun to go against.

Here is a gameplay video of it:

YouTube Video

Another platformer I absolutely adored is Little Nemo: The Dream-master. It is a very difficult platformer but it is actually really good despite its difficulty.

For the snes, it is pretty easy to pick out the great platformers for that system especially when you have games such as Super Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Castlevania IV, and Mega Man X.

I think the Disney Games did an excellent job with the platforming formula. Games such as The Lion King, Aladdin, and my personal favorite Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse are all excellent platforming games.

I can't say I've played much platforming recently except for the scatter game on the ds, such as castlevania, or kirby super star ultra.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:43 AM 1 #11 of 24
I refer you to a little game called Shatterhand

It is about an ordinary man

who shatters things

with his hands

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:05 AM Local time: Jan 14, 2010, 12:05 AM #12 of 24
I think the Wikipedia page for Shatterhand has possibly the best set of references. Ever.

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:45 AM Local time: Jan 14, 2010, 10:45 AM #13 of 24
Super Mario World is a benchmark that other paltformers haven't quite reached yet.

The Donkey Kong Country 1-3 games are great fun as well.
Same for Prince of Persia (especially the SNES version from Konami) and Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame (definitely not the SNES version).

Super Metroid, Metroid: Zero Mission and Castlevania Symphony of the Night are more exploration, but there's plenty of satisfying platforming in them.

If we're going with 3D platformers since Psychonauts and such were mentioned, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is an absolute classic. Banjo-Kazooie and Psychonauts are wonderful as well.

Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:33 AM Local time: Jan 14, 2010, 10:33 AM #14 of 24
is what I really really wanted for Christmas one year.
But you know parents...
"But mom, I have a Super Nintendo, this is a Genesis controller!"
"Isn't it the same?"

Anyway, instead I got
At first I my tiny ungrateful gaming heart was devastated, but then
I don't remember ever getting around to completing it though. Once you lost your power-ups the game got pretty relentless.

Instead of making another list of platformers we can all agree on, I'll name a few that I at least had a ton of fun with:
Aladdin
PC version, because I couldn't afford the Snes version. Keyboard made for some hard gaming, but it was still worth it to keep playing till the end.
Jazz Jackrabbit
Because I didn't have anything that could play Sonic. I also remember playing the 3D labyrinth parts a lot, in lack of Mario Kart.
Joe and Mac
Because it was the cheapest and only game my allowance allowed me buy after a few months of no games. Turned out pretty great though, and I feel pretty nostalgic about it now.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:48 AM Local time: Jan 14, 2010, 01:48 PM 1 #15 of 24
Super Mario World is a benchmark that other paltformers haven't quite reached yet.
I beg to differ mate. Flashback is far better than any Mario game and is one of my all time favourite platformers. It's like Prince of Persia meets Blade Runner and the Running Man with a hint of Total Recall. The story is decent, the platforming itself is incredibly intuitive and whilst tough towards the end, it never feels unfair and rewards practice.

Other platform games I prefer to any of the Mario games are Chuck Rock, Gods (The Amiga version, not the shitty SNES port), Magic Pockets, Sir Lancealot (On the Spectrum 16k), Chucky Egg, Twin World (On the Acorn) and of course, Zool, which is almost as good as Flashback.

The problem with console platformers back in the day was that they were all so samey and at the time of the NES, they looked like utter turd compared to most things on Atari or Amiga. Even the SNES lagged behind looks-wise until Donkey Kong Country came out (Although I did love that game).

More recently, Metal Arms is a great game, I really enjoyed the first Spyro game on Playstation and Tokobots on PSP is pretty good fun too.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:12 PM Local time: Jan 14, 2010, 09:12 PM #16 of 24
Anyone looking for a quick and delicious morsal of platforming nutrition should check out indie game Eversion. The game might seem run of the mill at first, but stick with it to see how far and effectively it explores its theme. The freeware game's been out for a year, but a version with improved graphics was released November for a $5 donation.

Good choice. Another World, (or Out of This World in the US) deserves a mention too, which was a kind of spiritual predecessor to Flashback. It seems there was a 2006 redux: ANOTHER WORLD - Site officiel

I really don't like Mario. The level design is good, but he's a shit character with no personality and does actually move like a little fat plumber, which in a sense is accurate but it's just not the gaming experience I opt for. And the music is fittingly boring and slow. I submit the following as better, HIGH OCTANE, platformers:

Sonic CD.

Classic Sonic with the added replayablity of revisiting zones in different time periods with different zone layouts, music and palettes. The zones in this game look gorgeous. If I could live in any platforming game world it would be Collision Chaos Good Future. And the music is Sonic all over but with a CD quality sheen. Playing Sonic CD is a full sensory experience.

Superfrog

I challenge you to look at a Superfrog screenshot and not be charmed. Although ideally you need to be listening to the Magic Woods theme at the same time. Superfrog drinks Lucozade so he is FAST. He is almost faster than Sonic, which, when you include instant kill spikes, makes for considerable quantities of LOL and almost equivalent amounts of WTF. Punishing but rewarding in the classic sense, which is also why everyone loves...

VVVVVV

It's very new, but an instant addition to the platforming hall of fame.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Great mix of gameplay here. You've got the bog standard platforming where Alex punches everything with his huge fist, then levels where you cruise through the level on a motorbike or speedboat. Then there's this gyrocopter thingy. Alex uses his hero powers of telepathy in the same way any of us would: by going around giving people games of rock, paper, scissors.

If you absolutely must play a slow paced platformer, Asterix for the Sega Master System is great. You have to judge which is worse, one slow Italian or two slow french guys, one of whom is Gerard Depardieu.

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 09:39 AM Local time: Jan 15, 2010, 03:39 PM #17 of 24
Alex Kidd also has the advantage of being free with most Master Systems. I never did manage to finish that game, although God only knows I tried hard enough. A good mate of mine had a Master System and all we ever played was Alex Kidd and Joe Montana football.

Another game I used to play to death was Commander Keen. EGA-tastic graphics, crappy chiptune music, the game had everything frankly.

Also there was an awesome shareware game on the Acorn called Hamsters where you played a little yellow guy with a fuck off great big mallet and had to smack the ground to propel yourself between platforms, all the while splattering hamsters all over the screen. Awesome, awesome game.

Most amazing jew boots
InvestmentBankr
Banned

Member 35157

Level 5.67

Jan 2010

Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:58 AM #18 of 24
super mario bros the third game on nintendo is a game dear to my heart. my nintendo broke because i played that game too much!

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:05 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2010, 09:05 PM #19 of 24
I really don't like Mario.

music is fittingly boring and slow

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jan 15, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 03:31 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2010, 09:31 PM #20 of 24
Sounds like I should be watching some silent era slapstick comedy to that music, not BOTTOM BOUNCING bad guys, RIDING MOVING PLATFORMS and COLLECTING 100 OF SOMETHING

YouTube Video

Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:20 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2010, 11:20 PM #21 of 24
Yeah, collecting 100 rings is the snizzle!

This thread has now gone awry.
YouTube Video

B.O.B. is another platformer I might be willing to pick up again because of unfinished business. I enjoyed that game immensely until the maze of hate.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:26 PM Local time: Jan 19, 2010, 04:26 PM #22 of 24
Just gave Eversion a play over the last few days and I've got to say it was pretty neat. I had to read up on how to get to Level 8, but the ending was worth the frustration of that last level.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:23 PM 2 #23 of 24
Inasmuch as I cannot think of what else to classify them as, the Ratchet & Clank series has represented the upper tier of 3-D platforming since its inception, in my opinion. This isn't exactly an industry secret but I'm mildly surprised nobody has mentioned R&C yet.

As for classic platforming, I will refer you to three titles.

The first should surprise nobody, as it's a classic. It is, of course, Blaster Master.

YouTube Video

Everything about Blaster Master defines what a platformer needs: great action, intriguing exploration and good music. I still go back and play my copy; it has defied aging.

The second is the NES game, Bucky O'Hare. Licensed from a second-tier cartoon or not, that shit was pretty hard for the era in which it was released. If you only played a few minutes, it looked pretty simple with its cartoony graphics. But anyone who has made it as far as the assault on the nuclear core know how intense this game managed to get. It did borrow a few cues from some other successful games, but it did so in a way that allowed the game to still stand upon its own.

There's no Battletoads infringement here!

The last is a lesser known NES game, Metal Storm. It was a sleeper, for sure, but it had some pretty fun action, a decent gimmick and grew treacherously harder in the later levels. This game was notable for making a player think about his/her platforming in two directions at once, rather than the straightforward "bull in a china shop" method of progressing through levels.

YouTube Video

FELIPE NO
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Jan 27, 2010, 02:17 AM #24 of 24
Abuse wants to say 'hi' from the DOS era (it's available from any self-respecting abandonware repositiory, I believe). True free-aim, independent of your motion, is to my knowledge rare in the genre... and it was most definitely not a luxury in this game.
Also, one could argue that many of the Castlevania games, as well as Metroid and Super Metroid (and the 'spriitual offspring' of these two sets of games, Shadow Complex) qualify as platformers too, as does Dark Void Zero.

White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Great Platformers