Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] The Legend of Dragoon

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 08:55 AM #26 of 39
lawl, i already bought it :P i know ill like it.. the only thing so far that seems annoying is the world map.. and in the later game, if i want to return to an old town i have to swap discs?

thats pretty crappy.. other than that i cant wait to play. it was very cheap. I hope its the non-gh version.. but this late in the game, i doubt it :P

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:48 PM #27 of 39
To be honest, overall, I liked the game, but I hated Noa. THAT's the part I want to forget. I wish my copy hadn't been ruined in a move. I'd play it again.

But, rpgcrazied, buy the game. You'd be out what? Less than $10. Most of us bought it for a LOT more than that, and of course, our opinions will vary.
The battle system was good enough for me to not give a damn about Noa but her story was pretty deep so I gave her a chance. I still have those epic battles with me such as the fight between the team and those other 3 fighters.

One game I never tried was Legaia Duel Saga. BESIDES graphics, is it any better?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:33 PM #28 of 39
ugh.. im never ordering from amazon sellers, or maybe its just this guy/company.

it was like 7dollar shipping.. order'd it last friday.. I didnt think it would take a week+ to ship a game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 03:07 PM #29 of 39
Making money was hard but leveling up was easy. I just killed for about 3-4 hrs in the
Spoiler:
Death City of Mayfield
and went to lvl50. LoD is studily easy if you give Rose the attack badge and a legend casque. She'll deal 1000 damage with Demon's Dance, plus she'll evade near 100% of the time. I went over board though and bought 2 phantom shields and 1 legend casque. Buying those is what took a long long time. Almost 40,000G in total.
One game I never tried was Legaia Duel Saga. BESIDES graphics, is it any better?
The arts system has been revamped. Normal arts now give AP instead of use it. The more powerful arts use AP. With the correct combination of Normal + hyper arts, you can pull off the same damage moves over and over without losing AP at all. What this game has going for it is the "arena" battles and a dungeon with over 100 levels.

I was speaking idiomatically.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 07:36 PM #30 of 39
oh.. this might be a bug playing on the ps2.. or maybe it does it on the ps1?

On the world map, when you enter a stage(town, dungeon) the picture will be really dark.. but if i exit out and reenter to get the box is back to normal

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:36 AM Local time: Oct 6, 2007, 11:36 PM #31 of 39
I remember logging 80+ hours into this during summer break, I got as far as the last half of the 4th disc but stopped for reasons I forget. It's fun, while not terribly original in any way, it's got enough points to be engaging and has a somewhat involving battle system. The plot and characters are almost a satire of every RPG cliche (wise geezer, vulnerable childhood sweetheart etc) but I think it pieces everything together in an effective way

Just
Spoiler:
surprise! everyone is a dragoon! lawls

How ya doing, buddy?
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:38 PM #32 of 39
SPAM POST:

LOL@kat

Actually, that is pretty funny, kat. I remember thinking, "Huh?" Well, that's original....So much for strategy.....

Most amazing jew boots
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Oct 22, 2007, 06:31 PM #33 of 39
I'm on the second disc now and I kinda like it, not as good as FFVIII (best game ever made), but it's good. I actually like the battle system, can't say much about the storyline until I beat the game but it's not that clear yet whats really happening, it kinda moves really slow. I mean for being on the second disc it still feels like you just started the journy and dont know whats going on. I dont like the exp rate of the game, it takes a bit of a while to lvl up and the damage is not even 99999999999 like other RPG games. Still a great RPG game, have some voice acting, worth playing it.

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:06 PM #34 of 39
Ah I did like this game for the overly dramatic dragoon transformations and the X press timing. Even at the time though, I thought the graphics were somewhat questionable, and Monkey's King's recant of Rose's provocative spells pique my curiosity to play this again. I had stopped playing this partway through Disc 3 sometime after the axe wielder joins, near the teleporting town.

I always thought when playing this that other people wouldn't be able to stand the voice acting. I actually enjoyed hearing Meru's "Double Smack!" over and over and over again. Which reminds me of another point.

I love how the girls realllly took a beating hard. Maybe it wasn't just the girls but elemental weaknesses too, but I strongly remember Shana and Meru would get raped by large damage physical attacks a lot. At the time I thought the numbers were far too high whenever they got hit by a weakness, so it was tricky to make sure that a single physical hit wouldn't knock out the girls instantly.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:47 PM #35 of 39
The one thing I remember most about this game was the commercial that aired in the US back in 2000 or so.

"Nigel, he cut my head off! Did you see that? He cut my head off!"

Oh, and if anyone frequented TheGIA back when it was still around, the whole debacle with one of the editors giving the game a 1/5 and the absolute torrent of hate mail they received for it. They posted the exact figure just before they took the site down, I don't remember what it was, but it was quite a lot.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
marbu
Wark!

Member 16621

Level 3.20

Dec 2006

Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:12 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2007, 05:12 AM #36 of 39
Oh, i remember this one, i owned a copy... i payed for i dunno... 10hrs or so, and then left it for being completely annoying! every little thing in the game was annoying... the world map, the battle system whith pressing the buttuns at the fucking right time that never worked, the inventory in wich each item takes one place, and thus you can barely carry stuff... and worst of all was that it was BUGGY, it got hanged quite often when checking the inventary, and it was a fucking original game... I reckon the bug thing maybe has something to do with the spanish translation (it's happened before... sometimes the traslators make a shoddy work that adds bugs that were not in the original game). I ended up reselling it, for some reason it is an extremely overated and searched game in Spain O.o i got some good money from it! :P

Oh, the cutscenes were nicely done, that's true... but that's about it.

And one more thing: the character desing on this game is one of the worsts and more unoriginal i have seen ever... IHMO, or course :P

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ryuu

Member 1380

Level 27.88

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2007, 07:14 PM #37 of 39
My brother owns this one - I think it's the only RPG he owns (as in he spent the money to buy), actually.

I remember playing the demo a lot (in between the first town and the second town/city, I think), and I didn't think it was bad. I didn't like the camera, but I thought the fighting system wasn't too tedious (lol at having Dragoons in the demo far earlier than you should), but I never got into it too much.

My brother got sucked in and ended up buying the game. He got pretty far, but as some of the others said, the bosses became hard just to be hard. I think he was stuck on the one that could level you down (or something along those lines).

I only got four hours into it, and dropped it for something else (I think it was Final Fantasy IX - we got Legend of Dragoon a little while after it was released).

Wasn't bad sales the reason a sequel or something similar wasn't made? I mean, I remember a lot of advertising for it back in the day.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Ryuu; Nov 14, 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:20 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 11:20 AM #38 of 39
Wasn't bad sales the reason a sequel or something similar wasn't made? I mean, I remember a lot of advertising for it back in the day.
Well, part of it was due to them spending almost four years in development making a knock-off game designed to compete with and looking like Final Fantasy 7, then rushing it out the door just in time to be rolled over by Final Fantasy 8. After a fiasco like that, I don't imagine a sequel was looking too profitable.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2007, 09:14 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2007, 08:14 PM #39 of 39
Maybe it was because I loathed FF VIII so much (same orphanage my ass), or maybe it was the way it seduced me with highly rigid character types, or maybe it was the way the moon hit the archetypal characters like a big pizza pie. Either way, it was amore.

Sure, the game is predictable, and the story is incredibly blatant. But I liked the timed hits. I liked how the story wasn't weeping MySpace fare like FF VIII wound up being (still the worst characters I've ever seen in a game. God. SHUT UP already. DO something with your life. Get a job. Stop whining like a 12 year old listening to Dashboard Confessional etc...). Now was it worthy of the perfect score it got from GamePro? No. God no. This game has all sorts of flaws, but it's decent enough. I don't loathe it as much as most people, but I'm not about to pick it up and tear through it again.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] The Legend of Dragoon