Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] The Legend of Dragoon

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:34 PM #1 of 39
The Legend of Dragoon

So.. I really dont remember this game.. I guess it was suppose to compete with FFVIII?

Anyway.. since im pretty much have gotten through most of the ps2 rpgs.. cept some nis games.. im trying to go back to the ps1 ones.

I got it from amazon for 2.50$ new.. lol

Do any of you like it, or is it shit? since it was only 2.50$ it cant be to bad to play.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:12 PM #2 of 39
I thought the game was extremely cliche and cheesy, but still enjoyable. It doesn't anywhere near Final Fantasy, but then again, I only finished the first disk. If you're a hard core RPG fan, I'm sure you'll like it.

http://209.9.234.32/flv1/629CC30A-EB...300776C5E-.flv

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]

Last edited by Sepharite; Nov 21, 2007 at 02:38 AM.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:22 PM #3 of 39
The game has awesome music (even its own menu theme!), and like Sepharite said, there was some cheesy lines but the cg cutscenes had a little voice acting too. IMO, I found this a bit more challenging than FF8. You'll find alot of epic battles that you would want to save on a memory card, but that's just me.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Buzz Buzz
Lurker

Member 5596

Level 1.34

Apr 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:01 PM #4 of 39
The game is fun, but it has a lot of problems. The plot is transparent, the timed attack system gets tedious, the bosses get really annoying with instant death moves, and the game gradually discourages the whole dragoon system. Towards the end of the game, the biggest threats are instant death moves and status effects. Status effects.
Oh, and the whole 32 items, 256 armor slots thing. Even when I didn't sell any armor after upgrading for two full discs, I still only got like 50 slots filled.

I only got as far as the beginning of the fourth disc, and then just kinda stopped. I do plan to get back to it eventually though.

How ya doing, buddy?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:23 PM #5 of 39
I remember getting the game not long after it first came out. I had just finished FFVIII and was looking for my next villan to defeat. Like FFVIII I played the game beginning to end in two weeks. Loved it.

I'm sure my memory is going to play tricks on me here, that and when I played it it was the second RPG I had ever played, but I still love the game to this date. The music was awesome, and the battle system still inspires similar systems to date, e.x. Lost Odyssey. It may not have had a overly complicated story, but it was more then enough to give point to the events of the game. Also a lost tressure of the PS1 days, the day when I aee a sequel to this game is the day when my life will be complete. ^^

I was speaking idiomatically.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:36 PM #6 of 39
any problems running it on a ps2?

I have a slim, and i some versions glitch on it? Guess we shall see

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 06:53 PM #7 of 39
The only game that I remember ever not working on a PS2 was Final Fantasy Tactics. And it was only the GH version or the original, can't remember which but it was only 1. However I think they even fixed that with the slim PS2s so you should be alright. Chances are slim anyway seeing how it is a Sony made game.

FELIPE NO
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 07:02 PM #8 of 39
ya.. also, i know i couldve downloaded it.. but emus are so glitchy on my computer. :P plus id want to play it on my tv.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 07:25 PM #9 of 39
Pretty much, and for $2.50 you can't really complain. You also don't have to worry about glitches, you can take it with you and your system, and you get a case which is always cool to have for your collection

P.S.
The average rating for the game is 78% Of course the 3 lowest scores is by the 3 biggest douches in the industry. GameSpot, IGN & EGM/1UP

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Slayer X; Sep 29, 2007 at 07:30 PM.
Jujubee
Good Chocobo

Member 416

Level 16.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:20 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2007, 07:20 PM #10 of 39
I really liked LoD. It was one of my early RPGs so it didn't seem very cliche to me. If anything it was like playing a new FF7. The only major flaw in the game was the abusive use of the X button. The game was made by Sony, so it was my firm belief the game itself was an elaborate gimmick to make people buy new controls. All the X button mashing in that game could easily break your controller. Besides that, the game was great. Epic story, memorable music, likable characters, lots of places to explore, the works.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 08:44 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2007, 07:44 PM 3 #11 of 39
The game was pretty awful, yeah.

The story is transparent, cliched, and driven by protagonist failure. You basically go forward, failing to stop the bad guys' plan at every single turn and getting smacked around by the main villains, until you unexpectedly are allowed to beat them in a boss fight. The characters are likewise all walking cardboard cutouts, Rose excepted, and Dart is just a failure as a human being. Kind of hard to respect the hero when he gets his dragoon spirit stolen TWICE.

The "additions" system is tedious, and heavily penalizes you for anything short of complete mastery. The backgrounds are gorgeous, but the character models are just under FF7 quality, if that. The stupid white-haired trollop with the hammer is made extra annoying by the fact that her character model is so ugly, you don't even get the fanservice she's supposed to supply. The music isn't bad, though.

It's almost worth playing the game for Rose, though. She seems fully aware that she's in a bad RPG, travelling with a bunch of thinly-veiled archetypes, and snarks her way through the whole thing. She's also the only one who gets any character development. And as a bonus, she has a spell where she sucks enemies into her vagina. They changed the name in the translation, but it's still obvious what's going on. Ditto for the one where Rose menstruates and heals the party.

It's not a total loss, though. You only paid $2.50 for it, and you can play a drinking game with this list as you go. But otherwise, unless you're into atrocity tourism, it's not worth your time to try to play through the whole thing.

jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:47 AM #12 of 39
I thought the game was pretty enough but it was basically a really crappy (and really hard) rip-off of FF7. Neither the characters or the plot were interesting enough for me to get further than the second disc.

(Although as mentioned, Rose's spells are at least worth a laugh)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 01:49 AM #13 of 39
Overall, I enjoyed playing Legend of Dragoon, but not for the same reasons that Monkey King did, obviously....LOL

(I never noticed that, Monkey King. I'm going to have to play it again for that....)

Yes, it was cheesy and cliche--but it's fun because of this. Sometimes you just want something easy to follow and fun to play. This was it.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:58 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2007, 11:58 AM #14 of 39
I for one enjoyed LoD, despite its cliches. I liked the addition system, although it could get a bit tedious because you have to do it EVERYTIME if you want some decent damage, and the dragoon shifting was also pretty cool. Of course there were flaws, mainly the lame story (although there is one AWESOME FMV with the dragoons) and the lack of decent character development (but you still gotta love Rose). One of my bigger annoyances was the lack of fast transportation, meaning that you had to go through every dungeon when going from A to B, without access to an airship or some sort of teleportation. This gets especially annoying near the end of the game, when you actually have to CHANGE DISCS when you want to go back to towns from earlier in the game (seriously the only RPG were you had to do this). Overall I thought it was a pretty solid game, but then again, I tend to be pretty easygoing and I don't pay much attention to little flaws.

Trance Machina
Do these clothes become me?

Member 3819

Level 10.53

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 12:18 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2007, 09:18 AM #15 of 39
Legend of Dragoon was just Sony's way of jumping aboard the RPG bandwagon~

I got it when it first came out and I really enjoyed it. Now it's kinda nice to pick it up now and then and play through it. Sure it had a crappy cliche/transparent story but that was what the charm was~

The addition system was tedious at times but remember, the game didn't really force you to go all out by getting the strongest additions (which were usually harder) outside a few boss fights. The game was pretty easy (besides throwing a extremely hard boss fight in your face) that way.

Hell they even threw in two accessories that made additions automatic. All the cheaper one did was half SP accumulation (which made it harder to transform/level up dragoons but still..). Which you can buy in Lohan on the first disc if you had the money~

FELIPE NO

Currently Playing:Persona 3, .hack//G.U. vol 3, Wild ARMs 3, and Phantasy Star Universe (360).
I will beat a rod until a tank empties~
Chocojournal
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 02:39 PM #16 of 39
I cant wait to get it.. it sounds like a pretty good game. Im sure ive played it when it first came out, but with all the other games since then.. i forgot it.

I got chrono cross too for like 5bucks

Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:32 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2007, 10:02 PM #17 of 39
Its great when you can find really good RPG's for a really cheap price. I came across a few going through EB Games old playstation bargain bin.

Some of the ones I found for around $3.00 are:
1.) Suikoden
2.) Vandal Hearts II
3.) Saga Frontier 2

In terms of Legend Of Dragoon, it was one of the first rpg's I played when I first owned a playstation and for the most part I really enjoyed it. It wasn't a deep rpg by any means, and the dubbing of the ending FMV scene was off sync it was almost unbearable.

You know, overall what made the rpg good for me and this is just my opinion is that I absolutely loved one of the boss themes. I really enjoyed the addition battle system. It was my first time I had played an rpg with that type of battle system and I really enjoyed it.

I like games rpg battle system that use hand eye co-ordination such as Legend Of Dragoon. The only other rpg I have ever played that incorporated a similar battle system was Shadow Hearts. I'm sure there are more but I just haven't played them yet.

I would like to see another legend of dragoon game came out, with a newly polished battle system, I tyhink there are things they can improve on to make the battle system more enjoyable.

I liked the characters for the most part. The attack moves were pretty interesting especially the later ones such as Perky Step & Gust Of Wind Dance.

It was a fairly linear RPG and the story wasn't that deep but it was still enjoyable. I liked collecting all the stardust. Even though hardly anybody likes usuing the white dragoon. She was always a must in my party especially when fighting bosses because it was only her and meru that could heal the entire party while in dragoon form.

Overall for me it was a solid rpg game for myself. Not nescessarily one of my favourites, but to this day it still has one of my favourite rpg battle systems.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 08:39 PM #18 of 39
Legend of Dragoon was just Sony's way of jumping aboard the RPG bandwagon~
We can never forget our little friend Legend of Legaia..

Quote:
Hell they even threw in two accessories that made additions automatic. All the cheaper one did was half SP accumulation (which made it harder to transform/level up dragoons but still..). Which you can buy in Lohan on the first disc if you had the money~
I remember how hard it was to get freakin money in battles. I had no choice but to gameshark that problem >.>

Last edited by chato; Sep 30, 2007 at 08:54 PM.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 09:34 PM #19 of 39
I should get it like tuesday or so.. stupid slow shipping. :P

Trance Machina
Do these clothes become me?

Member 3819

Level 10.53

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:04 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2007, 07:04 PM #20 of 39
I remember how hard it was to get freakin money in battles. I had no choice but to gameshark that problem >.>
Haha, yeah. EXP and Money are hard to come by. Since it used the whole divided by party members equation and you only got like 100-150 MAX and you needed about 5000-10000 at high levels. Only ways of leveling up were going into boss battles or finding those damn hard to kill birds. >_<

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Currently Playing:Persona 3, .hack//G.U. vol 3, Wild ARMs 3, and Phantasy Star Universe (360).
I will beat a rod until a tank empties~
Chocojournal
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:48 PM #21 of 39
We can never forget our little friend Legend of Legaia..
But we sure as hell can try!

Quote:
I remember that. Man, that was a pain.

rpgcrazied: I think you'll enjoy this game. I really do.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 06:26 AM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 01:26 PM #22 of 39
Haha, yeah. EXP and Money are hard to come by. Since it used the whole divided by party members equation and you only got like 100-150 MAX and you needed about 5000-10000 at high levels. Only ways of leveling up were going into boss battles or finding those damn hard to kill birds. >_<
God, I must have spent hours killing those birds to buy three of those legendary helmets before going to kill some lady. They were worth it though, making the rest of the game a breeze (at least concerning magic attacks). Experience wasn't that important, I don't think I ever encountered a boss were I had to do some serious grinding for, except maybe near the end, but then again, the XP you got there was enough to gain a level every 15 battles I think.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:52 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 09:52 AM #23 of 39
It's been so long even though I own the game. Was this the one that required disc swapping depending on what town you wanted to enter? If so I don't have too many fond memories of it.

I remember the product value to be pretty impressive for the time though considering Sony's game quality history at the time and the fact that it was an RPG to begin with.

How ya doing, buddy?
SuperDK
ROBO-KY!

Member 654

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 1, 2007, 01:45 PM Local time: Oct 1, 2007, 11:45 AM #24 of 39
This game is terrible. Boss fights consisted of me using damage items until the boss died. I got to the end of the game and then my sister (the owner of this copy) plays my file and finishes the game. I wasted all that time for nothing. I guess its alright, since there really isn't a reason to play it anyway, IMO. The only redeeming feature is the music...well, maybe just the normal boss music, since its all I can remember.

It's been so long since I've played this terrible game...

Also, Legend of Legaia kicks ass.

Originally Posted by Monkey King
It's almost worth playing the game for Rose, though. She seems fully aware that she's in a bad RPG, travelling with a bunch of thinly-veiled archetypes, and snarks her way through the whole thing. She's also the only one who gets any character development. And as a bonus, she has a spell where she sucks enemies into her vagina. They changed the name in the translation, but it's still obvious what's going on. Ditto for the one where Rose menstruates and heals the party.
This ALMOST makes me want to try it again. Since I don't remember a damn thing.

Last edited by SuperDK; Oct 1, 2007 at 01:52 PM.
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:40 PM #25 of 39
Also, Legend of Legaia kicks ass.
To be honest, overall, I liked the game, but I hated Noa. THAT's the part I want to forget. I wish my copy hadn't been ruined in a move. I'd play it again.

But, rpgcrazied, buy the game. You'd be out what? Less than $10. Most of us bought it for a LOT more than that, and of course, our opinions will vary.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] The Legend of Dragoon