Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:48 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 05:48 PM #51 of 282
Requesting GFF Tritoch's name be changed to Valigarmanda.
Seconding this.

Originally Posted by nuttyturnip
I haven't read this anywhere, but I'm assuming that they've added the save anywhere feature, since this is a portable title?
I hope so. I haven't played any other FF#:A title, but that would be useful. Is this done in the other titles?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:51 PM #52 of 282
But you talking out of your ass is perfectly meaningful
I definitely wasn't talking out of my ass, if that's what you're accusing me of since I had some basis for what I said. The only thing that I said that was incorrect (proved later on after my post) was the slowdown bit. Everything else was based of something, namely this and this.

I do hear the sound quality difference though, not enough to bother me, but it is pretty apparent. Haven't heard the Decisive Battle yet though, but I hope it's equally upbeat and exciting since that was one of my favorites. Hope it hasn't changed too much. Have they added any more of those multi-party areas where you split up into groups of 2 or 3 and explore a huge dungeon, much like the Phoenix Cave and Kefka's Tower?

After watching the youtube video again, I realize the slowdown is actually very apparent. Not nearly as bad as the PSX, but it's not nearly as smooth as the SNES either, which is a shame.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:55 PM #53 of 282
Originally Posted by nazpyro
Requesting GFF Tritoch's name be changed to Valigarmanda.
Seconding this.

I haven't read this anywhere, but I'm assuming that they've added the save anywhere feature, since this is a portable title?
I hope so. I haven't played any other FF#:A title, but that would be useful. Is this done in the other titles?
Nutty just wants to be able to say I have a girl's name online as well as off.

As for the save function, FF IV Advance was normal. I'd be disappointed if they added a save anywhere function, since making it to a save point was half the challenge in some dungeons. It's no fun if there's no fear of death from random battles.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:07 PM Local time: Feb 4, 2007, 01:07 AM #54 of 282
Going slightly off-topic...
Improved graphics? Why? Now Locke's hair will probably be blond(e?) instead of gray now. BOOOOO!!!!! The original graphics were fine
I thought Locke's menu pic and even the amano artwork were crap, his sprite owns both of them hands down.

>

As you were peeps...

How ya doing, buddy?
Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

Last edited by Jamma; Feb 3, 2007 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Because there should be more Locke sprites in this post
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:20 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 06:20 PM #55 of 282
As for the save function, FF IV Advance was normal. I'd be disappointed if they added a save anywhere function, since making it to a save point was half the challenge in some dungeons. It's no fun if there's no fear of death from random battles.
Well maybe it could be like the save mode in Final Fantasy III. You can have a quicksave that you can go to, but you can't load any other save after you do that; you can only power on and return to where you were. Then you can have the regular save points that you save/load normally...

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:25 PM #56 of 282
True, a quick save wouldn't be a bad idea. Still, I really doubt that it will have one unless they added something into FF V Advance too. We'll just have to hope Sprint Shoes can get us to a save point quickly enough.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:27 PM #57 of 282
@Jamma, I feel the same way! Amazing! I hate all the official artwork of Locke, vastly preferring the sprite and Japanese fanart.

A quick-save feature would be a god-send since I play on the bus.

I heard Decisive Battle has been changed too, which sucks as it's one of my favourite FF boss themes. I did listen to some of the music from the official website and didn't notice any cringe-worthy music though. It's not horrible and will suffice for me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Freelance; Feb 3, 2007 at 08:53 PM.
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:09 PM #58 of 282
I heard Decisive Battle has been changed too, which sucks as it's one of my favourite FF boss themes. I did listen to some of the music from the official website and didn't notice any cringe-worthy music though. It's not horrible and will suffice for me.
WHAT?! Damn! It was my favorite boss battle theme, EVER. It just makes you want to go out and kick some serious ass. Why did they have to change it?

As for the save anywhere function, sure it would make it a bit easier, but it's a bit more friendly for the Handheld gamer. In fact, it's a pain for me to play Tales of Phantasia because if I'm not on the world map, I don't know what to do because I can't save until I find a save point, which there are relatively few. I do play in 5 minute intervals at times though, so not having a save anywhere function would be annoying after a while. I'll still buy it though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 10:57 PM #59 of 282
Have they added any more of those multi-party areas where you split up into groups of 2 or 3 and explore a huge dungeon, much like the Phoenix Cave and Kefka's Tower?
Yep, the Dragon's Den is a 3 party dungeon.

Quote:
After watching the youtube video again, I realize the slowdown is actually very apparent. Not nearly as bad as the PSX, but it's not nearly as smooth as the SNES either, which is a shame.
Actually, I believe the actual in-battle slowdown is worse than the PSX version. The PSX version had horrendous load times in between menus and in the transition from dungeons/the overworld into battles, but battles themselves ran relatively smoothly. It's been a while since I last the PSX version though.

re: save anywhere

There is a memo save function that allows you to save anywhere temporarily, as seen in several previous games. However it is lost should you restart your GBA. Otherwise, saving is the same as the original.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:48 PM #60 of 282
Actually, I believe the actual in-battle slowdown is worse than the PSX version.
I hope not, I don't think it can get much worse than the PSX port of Final Fantasy VI. Everything you did (or don't do for that matter) results in significant slowdown. Hell, even the physical attacks had slowdown in them, but not as bad as the special techniques. Sabin's Fire Dance isn't even worth using in the PSX version.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:38 PM #61 of 282
I still can't figure out why they'd change Moogle Charm to Molulu's Charm. There's not really a more appropriate name for a relic found in the Moogles' cave and only equippable by Mog.
From what I've been told is that Molulu was either Mog's girlfriend/wife, and she gives him the charm as a keepsake to keep him safe. Molulu IS one of the moogles who fights with you in the Narshe battle at the beginning (in the GBA retranslation, forget what her name was in the SNES one), so that actually would make sense.

Also some pics from my copy of the JP guide, the front/back covers without the jacket are awesome:

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:44 PM #62 of 282
Ah, okay. If they retranslated one of the moogles in the beginning battle then it would be a better name than Moogle Charm. In the SNES translation all of the moogles except for Mog had Ku- names.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:48 PM #63 of 282
All of the moogle names got retranslated IIRC (from the screens on the official US site). When I get a chance I'll skim Mog's section in that guide and skim it for anything about Molulu and try to translate that part.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:53 PM #64 of 282
From what I've been told is that Molulu was either Mog's girlfriend/wife, and she gives him the charm as a keepsake to keep him safe. Molulu IS one of the moogles who fights with you in the Narshe battle at the beginning (in the GBA retranslation, forget what her name was in the SNES one), so that actually would make sense.
Really? I thought all the other Moogles in the beginning had a name that started with K. With the exception of Mog himself....

The closest one to Molulu would be Kumama. Well, I suppose it makes sense if its one of the ones in the GBA version, but it definitely came out of left field if their names were faithful to the original. Speaking of names being faithful, is it Vicks and Wedge again, or is it still Biggs and Wedge? I dunno, just a random question, but I'm curious as to see which version of FFVI they retained the names closer to.

EDIT: Damn, got beaten to it.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:57 PM #65 of 282
Kumama was always my favorite in that opening battle.

Vicks has been changed to Biggs too, but that was expected. Now the first venture into Narshe won't be one long advertisement for VapoRub.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:26 AM #66 of 282
Really? I thought all the other Moogles in the beginning had a name that started with K. With the exception of Mog himself....

The closest one to Molulu would be Kumama. Well, I suppose it makes sense if its one of the ones in the GBA version, but it definitely came out of left field if their names were faithful to the original. Speaking of names being faithful, is it Vicks and Wedge again, or is it still Biggs and Wedge? I dunno, just a random question, but I'm curious as to see which version of FFVI they retained the names closer to.

EDIT: Damn, got beaten to it.
Well the video at the official site shows Locke's moogle party as:

Locke
Moglin
Mogret
Moggie

US SNES original parties:
Locke
Kupek
Kupop
Kumama

Mog
Kuku
Kutan
Kupan

Kushu
Kurin
Kuru
Kamog

....yeah, I'm pretty convinced they just made up shit in the SNES translation. I can't find the screen I saw of Molulu and it's driving me nuts . I'm thinking maybe Kuku = Molulu? If the Mo is dropped they're pretty similar. I guess. If I didn't have to be asleep like 2 hours ago I'd find the rom and just play to that point real quick.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
B.K.
Chocobo

Member 974

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:35 AM #67 of 282
Speaking of names being faithful, is it Vicks and Wedge again, or is it still Biggs and Wedge? I dunno, just a random question, but I'm curious as to see which version of FFVI they retained the names closer to.
I know it was answered earlier, but here:

How ya doing, buddy?
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 07:26 AM #68 of 282
Well the video at the official site shows Locke's moogle party as:

Locke
Moglin
Mogret
Moggie

US SNES original parties:
Locke
Kupek
Kupop
Kumama

Mog
Kuku
Kutan
Kupan

Kushu
Kurin
Kuru
Kamog

....yeah, I'm pretty convinced they just made up shit in the SNES translation. I can't find the screen I saw of Molulu and it's driving me nuts . I'm thinking maybe Kuku = Molulu? If the Mo is dropped they're pretty similar. I guess. If I didn't have to be asleep like 2 hours ago I'd find the rom and just play to that point real quick.
Maybe she's one of the moogles you see when you re-visit the Moogle Cave later in the game? I dunno.

But I remember that most of them just say "Kupo!". Maybe one or two that might have said something different.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Feb 5, 2007, 07:56 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 07:56 AM #69 of 282
Being my favorite game of all time, I don't believe that this new edition of Final Fantasy VI is worth 2 shits. I highly disappointed that Square Enix is so lackadaisical in reformatting the classics while giving games like FFVII spinoffs their own damn sitcom complete with endorsement deals. I am getting tired of that shit. I think FFVI should be re-evaluated and reformatted for the next gen systems; not just throw together a half assed port with "upgraded graphics and music" (which are both spotty at best). The game would greatly benefit from a makeover.

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 08:02 AM #70 of 282
Ewww no. FFVII is the one that deserves a makeover. Leave FFVI alone, man! I love the FFVI sprites (one of the best things about the game), and just looking at the CGI in the PSX port makes me cringe when I see Locke with blond hair. EWWWWW.... poor guy.

Next gen FFVI...*shudder*

Most amazing jew boots

dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 08:12 AM #71 of 282
Being my favorite game of all time, I don't believe that this new edition of Final Fantasy VI is worth 2 shits. I highly disappointed that Square Enix is so lackadaisical in reformatting the classics while giving games like FFVII spinoffs their own damn sitcom complete with endorsement deals. I am getting tired of that shit. I think FFVI should be re-evaluated and reformatted for the next gen systems; not just throw together a half assed port with "upgraded graphics and music" (which are both spotty at best). The game would greatly benefit from a makeover.

Once upon a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago, there was a rumor going around that Square was going to remake FF 1-9 to have graphics that of 10. (The rumor is in one of the older issues of PSM I have laying around somewheres) However a little gem called The Spirits Within pretty much broke any hope of that happening.

Of course it wouldn't surprise me one bit to have later this year Square going "Oh btw we've got FFVII coming out on PS3. Why lie."

FELIPE NO

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Feb 5, 2007, 08:13 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 08:13 AM #72 of 282
Quote:
Ewww no. FFVII is the one that deserves a makeover. Leave FFVI alone, man! I love the FFVI sprites (one of the best things about the game), and just looking at the CGI in the PSX port makes me cringe when I see Locke with blond hair. EWWWWW.... poor guy.

No way dude! The way I look at it is that we already have a perfect version of VI available, right? The SNES version is PERFECT. I do agree with that sentiment. The PSX version is exactly what I am talking about when I mention that the classics are being treated like crap and I just think things need to change in this regard. I just think SE was being lazy. I definitely think a new version could be done extremely well. What I am saying is for SE to develop an engine as it did in the case of FFXII, reorchestrate the music, etc. and use that as a basis to 'redo' FFVI. Know what I mean? The unfortunate thing is that so many of the old developers of the game will not be consultated on a new version since many of them no longer work for the company. (DAMNIT!) For better or worse I suppose.

I just think the game could branch out quite a bit further and could appeal to a greater gaming population if it were given suitable enhancements. (I do agree that FFVII is a piece and probably NEEDS an upgrade!) But as far as deservingness goes, no game IMO, deserves a rebirth as much as FFVI.

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 09:12 AM #73 of 282
Meh, I wouldn't mess around with a classic. Especially not with the CG versions of the characters, because they truly look like shit. They bear no resemblance to the in-game sprites (or at least very little). They don't need a new version, they just need to have the "Perfect" versions (aka SNES versions) ported to one system untouched.

So yeah, I'm with Wolf on this one. Sure, I'm all for a rebirth of Final Fantasy VI, but not in that respect. I don't even mind a 3D version of it, but dear god, do NOT make Locke look like what he did in the opening movie of the PSX edition.

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:46 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 03:46 PM #74 of 282

Meh, I wouldn't mess around with a classic. Especially not with the CG versions of the characters, because they truly look like shit. They bear no resemblance to the in-game sprites (or at least very little). They don't need a new version, they just need to have the "Perfect" versions (aka SNES versions) ported to one system untouched.

So yeah, I'm with Wolf on this one. Sure, I'm all for a rebirth of Final Fantasy VI, but not in that respect. I don't even mind a 3D version of it, but dear god, do NOT make Locke look like what he did in the opening movie of the PSX edition.
Marry me. Yes, both of you.

<3 <3

Most amazing jew boots
Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Feb 5, 2007, 10:49 AM Local time: Feb 5, 2007, 10:49 AM #75 of 282
Dear God! I am definitely not saying that the CGI from the craptastic PSX translation should be the starting ground to rebuild the game. Hell no! (That effort definitely puts ths 'ASS' in EMBARRASSING.)

When I try to visualize an art style for a remake, I would prefer something more along the lines of the actual Yoshitaka Amano artwork illustrations, which are superlative. Use those as as starting point. I believe the CGI was a departure from both the vision of Amano and the awesome original look of the original sprites. That was a complete hack job. I love pixel art as much as the next person, but I believe the fluid dream like nature of Amano's sketches could contain a world of possibility for a visual backdrop. It would likely be extremely difficult to bring those concepts to a gaming palette. But with the technology available to development kits these days, it becomes more of a possibility. Knowing SquareEnix and the way they've been conducting themselves lately, they would probably completely just fuck the whole thing up. However, I can still dream.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced