Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced

Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 09:25 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2007, 07:25 PM #26 of 282
Kefka's submariner line? I recently finished the SNES version and don't remember it. Can someone refresh me?

Also, the redone 'Fierce Battle' music in that YouTube video is killer.

Edit:
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
For that matter, do the many similarities, physical or otherwise, between Terra and Celes just a coincidence?
They're nearly indistinguishable in the FMVs from the PS version.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Cellius; Feb 2, 2007 at 09:27 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 09:28 PM #27 of 282
It's after Terra, Edgar and Locke escape from Figaro.

"Son of a submariner! They'll pay for this!"

Quote:
Spoiler:
They're nearly indistinguishable in the FMVs from the PS version.
Well the reason for that was because they wanted to stick to Amano's designs (Terra with blonde hair), but there's more similarities then that.

Spoiler:
They're the same age.

They were both in the empire.

Terra uses Fire, Celes uses Ice.

They have similar outfits (minus the cape on Celes).

Terra: the Earth; Celes: The Stars

I think they even weigh the same.

It was said a bit back that they were originally supposed to be one character, but then split into two before the game was finished. That would clarify quite a few things.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Soldier; Feb 2, 2007 at 09:53 PM.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:06 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2007, 08:06 PM #28 of 282
Quote:
Son of a submariner! They'll pay for this!"
Haha, yeah I remember that now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:47 AM #29 of 282
Alright, boys and girls. FFVI Advance will be hitting Best Buy this Tuesday at 2pm, for $29.99. Allow me to do you all a solid and attach a printable coupon from Gamepro that will save you $5.

That's right, FFVIA for $25. Enjoy.

Edit: Sorry for the goof up, but I'll leave the $10 coupons up for anyone who wants to use them.

coupon taken from CAG. hopefully they don't mind the distribution from them to me to you.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB10off40feb28.JPG (172.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg BB5offNTNDOmar31.JPG (207.6 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Soldier; Feb 3, 2007 at 01:59 AM.
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:53 AM #30 of 282
BOOOO only for US!! Curse them!!!

I'd appreciate it if people can point out any glitches/bugs and whatnot with the game before I decide to get it. I don't want another FFIV on my hands, but still, I can't pass up the chance to see Locke on the go.

How ya doing, buddy?

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:55 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 12:55 AM #31 of 282
Alright, boys and girls. FFVI Advance will be hitting Best Buy this Tuesday at 2pm, for $29.99. Allow me to do you all a solid and attach a printable coupon from Gamepro that will save you $10.

That's right, FFVIA for $20. Enjoy.

coupon taken from CAG. hopefully they don't mind the distribution from them to me to you.
Uhhh...

That coupon only works for games that are 39.99 or more. Last I checked, 29.99 < 39.99.

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:58 AM #32 of 282
Well damn, I could've sworn I read one of the coupons was for $29.99. Let me fix it up and attach the $5 off $29.99 one then.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 02:10 AM #33 of 282
Speaking of CAG, one deal that you can get is a $10 gift card at Best Buy if you buy any two DS/GBA games in their ad if you're a Reward Zone member. I'll be picking up FF VI and Diddy Kong Racing DS together.

Originally Posted by Full list of eligible games
Final Fantasy VI >>>> GBA >>>> $29.99 Available 2/6/07 – 2 PM
Final Fantasy III >>>> NDS >>>> $39.99
Diddy Kong Racing >>>> NDS >>>> $29.99 Available 2/6/07 – 2 PM
NEW Super Mario Brothers >>>> NDS >>>> $34.99
The SIMS 2 >>>>> NDS >>>>> $19.99
Cooking Mama >>>> NDS >>>> $19.99
Star Wars: Lethal Alliance >>>> NDS >>>> $29.99
The SIMS 2: PETS >>>> NDS >>>> $29.99
Nintendogs: Daschund & Friends >>>> NDS >>>> $29.99
Dogz >>>> NDS >>>> $29.99
Horsez >>>> NDS >>>> $29.99
Yu-Gi-Oh: Spirit Caller >>>> NDS >>>> $29.99

Jam it back in, in the dark.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 02:31 AM #34 of 282
Uhhh...

That coupon only works for games that are 39.99 or more. Last I checked, 29.99 < 39.99.
I thought FFVI was going to be $34.99? (not that it matters, still not enough to get the $10 off ) That's how much Wal-Mart and EBgames has it for anyway. If it is indeed $30 at Best Buy though, then I may have to pick it up from there. hmmmm

B.K.
Chocobo

Member 974

Level 9.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 02:33 AM #35 of 282
I wouldn't be surprised if Wal-Mart sells the game for $30. That's what they sell Final Fantasy V: Advance for.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 02:53 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 01:53 AM #36 of 282
I thought FFVI was going to be $34.99? (not that it matters, still not enough to get the $10 off ) That's how much Wal-Mart and EBgames has it for anyway. If it is indeed $30 at Best Buy though, then I may have to pick it up from there. hmmmm
No idea, I was just basing the assumption on the price listed by SOLDIER. Sorry. =o

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 03:00 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 01:00 AM #37 of 282
BOOOO only for US!! Curse them!!!
I feel your pain, I really do.

Skills, lend me your shoulder to cry on. double

Most amazing jew boots

- What we all do best -
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 07:08 AM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 05:08 AM #38 of 282
Speaking of CAG, one deal that you can get is a $10 gift card at Best Buy if you buy any two DS/GBA games in their ad if you're a Reward Zone member. I'll be picking up FF VI and Diddy Kong Racing DS together.
Looks like Tuesday is gonna be one of those days... when I return home with way too many video games that I won't get around to playing for a while.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:12 AM #39 of 282
"Improved graphics" my ass. Make no mistake, this is a standard port. The colors look a bit washed out compared to the original and the game moves noticeably slower in battles, menus, the overworld, etc.

FELIPE NO
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:13 AM #40 of 282
"Improved graphics" my ass. Make no mistake, this is a standard port. The colors look a bit washed out compared to the original and the game moves noticeably slower in battles, menus, the overworld, etc.
We've already been over this, the graphics are more or less the same. It's just been Advance-ized, similar to the graphical difference between their original versions and the Advance versions of FFIV advance and FFV advance. But there's no slowdown in this one unlike the hideous PSX port (which I still played regardless).

Anyways, I'm planning on picking up all 3 simultaneously (FFIV:A, FFV:A, FFVI: A) Hell, even possibly FFT: A since, while I don't like it as much as the original, I'd still want it. Woohoo for Final Fantasy Fanboyism!

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 09:45 AM #41 of 282
I haven't read this anywhere, but I'm assuming that they've added the save anywhere feature, since this is a portable title? I'm sorely tempted to pick this up at BB, since I'm getting Diddy Kong Racing anyway, but money's tight this week.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 11:02 AM #42 of 282
But there's no slowdown in this one unlike the hideous PSX port (which I still played regardless).
This coming from GameFAQs (and thus may not even be true), but someone said he played it and there IS slowdown in battle, especially when there's a full party. No mention of slowdown anywhere else though.

Also, the music's messed up since it's on the GBA. I wonder just how bad it really is though. They say it's really really bad, while others say it's not as hideous as what other people are saying. Bah!

Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:19 PM #43 of 282
This coming from GameFAQs (and thus may not even be true), but someone said he played it and there IS slowdown in battle, especially when there's a full party. No mention of slowdown anywhere else though.

Also, the music's messed up since it's on the GBA. I wonder just how bad it really is though. They say it's really really bad, while others say it's not as hideous as what other people are saying. Bah!
Are you serious? There's Slowdown on a Cart? Damn!

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 12:51 PM #44 of 282
I've also heard that whoever worked on FFIVa also did FFVIa, but not FFV. If that's true, then the slowdown isn't too surprising. I've never played FFIVa, though. Just how bad was the slowdown in that game?

Here's some comments from several reviews:

Cons:

* Maybe too easy for hardcore players.
* Minor slowdown in battles.
* Sound is not always faithful to the original.

--

If only the battles weren't so slow. Even at the fastest setting, it seems the action gauge chugs along. The use of the spell "Haste" results in perhaps a 10% increase in speed. There is almost no difference in the configuration setting of level 3 speed to level 1 speed. When fighting hard bosses, the gauge just does not move fast enough.

--

Interestingly enough, another review didn't mention about slowdowns at all.

Last edited by Freelance; Feb 3, 2007 at 01:22 PM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:30 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 12:30 PM #45 of 282
The reason for FF4 being the way it was was because it was a WSC-->GBA port, whereas FF5 was rewritten specifically for the GBA. Or at least, that's what I heard.

I guess we'll find out in a couple of days if the slowdown rumours are true. They seem prevalent enough to suggest that they are, though.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 01:39 PM #46 of 282
We've already been over this, the graphics are more or less the same. It's just been Advance-ized, similar to the graphical difference between their original versions and the Advance versions of FFIV advance and FFV advance. But there's no slowdown in this one unlike the hideous PSX port (which I still played regardless).
Gee, guess my personal experience with the import on actual GBA hardware means absolutely nothing.

I can confirm that:

-The colors have a washed out look (eh, not so bad)
-Battles in particular are noticeably slower if you are accustomed to the speed of the original game (that kinda sucks)
-Music quality takes a big hit (NOOOOOOOOOO)

Most amazing jew boots
Omnislash124

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 03:51 PM #47 of 282
Gee, guess my personal experience with the import on actual GBA hardware means absolutely nothing.

I can confirm that:

-The colors have a washed out look (eh, not so bad)
-Battles in particular are noticeably slower if you are accustomed to the speed of the original game (that kinda sucks)
-Music quality takes a big hit (NOOOOOOOOOO)
Means absolutely nothing indeed if you don't say so.

Music quality taking a hit, I don't mind, as long as the music itself is just as inspiring and as fitting as it was on the SNES. And as long as the more memorable themes remain faithful to their original form.

Anyways, I'll be happy regardless (unless they screw up Kefka's laugh a second time.) It can't be any better when my all-time favorite game is now on a handheld system that I can take with me. I suppose a remake of the early Fire Emblem series would make me happier, but that's ok.

FELIPE NO

Anime FTP
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:09 PM #48 of 282
Means absolutely nothing indeed if you don't say so.
But you talking out of your ass is perfectly meaningful

Last edited by Shaolin Samurai; Feb 3, 2007 at 05:12 PM.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:24 PM #49 of 282
I didn't notice any hit in the music quality from that youtube link I posted; the music could be differently mixed, but that doesn't mean the actual quality should suffer.

What I'm more concerned about is the sound effects. The sound effect when navigating the menu cursor was extremely jarring and annoying, and it was pretty annoying originally to begin with. I hope that was just the result of the compressed video.

Of course all of these issues would be nonexistant if they simply ported it to the DS, but then the fans would whine about the lack of any touchscreen additions. Even worse, it'll probably make its way to the PSP if the recent FFI and FFII ports do well. I dread the thought of buying this game a fourth time just for enhanced sprites and extra CG.

Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 05:53 PM #50 of 282
I didn't notice any hit in the music quality from that youtube link I posted; the music could be differently mixed, but that doesn't mean the actual quality should suffer.
Have you heard the Advance version of The Decisive Battle? Cringe-worthy. I think when most people say the quality of the music is worse, they mean that everything sounds much more synthesized and artificial.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] Final Fantasy VI Advanced