Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Classic] This thread contains my reactions to Final Fantasy VI

Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:46 PM Local time: Jan 15, 2007, 10:46 AM #51 of 72
It's not one of the harder fights in the series but damn, it has some fine music.
Agreed. Right after I turned the game off I immediately opened up Dancing Mad from the OSV.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Saiken
The Watcher

Member 5436

Level 2.12

Apr 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 01:39 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 07:39 AM #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
Four characters per battle tends to provide more strategy than three in a battle.
Theoretically, yes. However:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiken
Whether party consisted of three, four, or even six characters (Suikoden), the battle flow and strategy planning seemed generally the same to me.
I do not think that in FF, managing a four-character party required any more strategy than managing a three-character one. As I see it, the battle system in earlier FFs did not put a larger party to good use.
I may be wrong, of course. But as for now, I have not seen many reasons to change my stance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX
Objectively, I've said twice already that characters in FFVII and FFVIII lack individual abilities while VI doesn't.
FFVII and VIII characters have different Limit Breaks and statistical strenghts and weaknesses. Technically, they do have individual abilities, just to the lesser extent than FFVI ones. It is natural though, considering that FFVII and VIII focused on extensive customisation, instead of pre-defined character growth.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:38 AM #53 of 72
Quote:
I do not think that in FF, managing a four-character party required any more strategy than managing a three-character one. As I see it, the battle system in earlier FFs did not put a larger party to good use.
Quote:
FFVII and VIII characters have different Limit Breaks and statistical strenghts and weaknesses. Technically, they do have individual abilities, just to the lesser extent than FFVI ones. It is natural though, considering that FFVII and VIII focused on extensive customisation, instead of pre-defined character growth.
And...these are your objective arguments for FFVI being surpassed? What a let-down...Subjectively, it's weak. Objectively, it left out a bunch of things that have been mentioned prior (pick and choose much?) and much of it is subjective anyway (read: opinion that isn't worth the webspace it claims to be objective about)

More party members=more options at one's disposal. At its' very core, 4 is more than 3. That's your main argument anyway (that more is better), now you don't want to caress it? In FFX's case, having 4-5 characters would have made far more sense than forcing players to continually swap to boost their party's EXP share. In the case of FFVII and FFVIII, you're basically forced to have either Cloud or Squall in your party, leaving only 2 other party choices. Objectively, your argument has failed.

Yes, it's obvious limit breaks differentiate characters (barely), but there's also the common factor that each character has a killer super-kill move to use in the same situation as everyone else (FFVII=charge the bar, FFVIII=low life), so everyone is still basically uniform. That's not an "individual ability". Any combination of characters in FF7 or FF8 will suffice with minimal difference, whereas (unless you go the all-Ultima, all-the-time route) you at least have to use care in putting together a decent FFVI team to get the abilities you want together. Having Umaro, Gau, Locke and Sabin is far different than...well, pick any combination of FFVII or FFVIII characters because they're all basically the same! So explain how FFVI has both individual abilities and it's own methods of extensive customization (espers, relics, far more equipment and yes, including party formation), yet is somehow "behind" the more recent FF's that have left this out.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Jan 18, 2007 at 03:54 AM.
Luceid
Persona

Member 127

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 01:02 AM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 01:02 AM #54 of 72
The reason of why this is my second favorite FF is simple. Kefka actually does something, and you can't stop that fucker.

Sure, the gameplay, music (<3), characters, and everything else make this game to be extremely enjoyable, but where will you find that the bad guy actually destroys the world, and not just sits his ass and says "Sup lol I'mma destroy your world doods" outside this game? I haven't seen anything like it,

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Saiken
The Watcher

Member 5436

Level 2.12

Apr 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:35 AM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 08:35 AM #55 of 72
Quote:
Objectively, it left out a bunch of things that have been mentioned prior (pick and choose much?)
Most of the game-related things have been at least partially addressed before an were discussed without reaching any consensus. As for something that could be considered a personal attack in yours and Magavolt's last posts, well, I suppose you have your reasons to see me that way. That is fine with me.

Next, the parts you bolded in my last post. I was speaking about my perception of battle flow and general strategy in FFs, and my post emphasized that. You were welcome to prove me wrong with some examples, yet you did not do so.

Nevertheless, our argument (although an interesting one) does not seem to have a chance of reaching any reasonable conclusion, for apparently, we see rather basic things way too differently. In this case, "agree to disagree" seems to be the wisest and most time-efficient option. There is one thing however, which I would appreciate if you answered. I have asked you before, but...
Quote:
Spoiler:
try beating the game without getting Locke and watch the ending...I thought that was an extremely clever extra touch.
What "touch" did you mean?

FELIPE NO
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 03:42 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 01:42 PM #56 of 72
Yeah I'm interested in knowing this as well.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:36 AM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 01:36 AM #57 of 72
I would have to say that FFVI is definitely my favorite FF game of the series. I enjoy fleshed out character development and FFVI really packs it in and rubs it all over your face. Just play it through again for Shadow's scenes and it really, really hurts. I remember quite vividly Edgar and Sabin's conversations, flashbacks, etc. Setzer's past really packs a punch as well. And then, of course, Terra. I can't name one member of that cast who doesn't have a sob ridden past.

FFVI doesn't stack up as my most favorite RPG (that being held in place by Suikoden II), but it is most definitely up there. Whoever pointed that the battles were easy, please, that dude at the top of that long tower was horrible. If it weren't for the emulator I would've trekked up that tower ten times. And if you want hard battles, play the SMT series and you better think twice about wishing hard battles ever again because it all becomes a number crunch or persona choice or getting that one item or mutation that makes battles oh so much easier.

All of this talk on FFVI makes me want to replay it (after so many years of haitus), but alas if I only have the summer for more time.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 02:43 AM #58 of 72
The reason of why this is my second favorite FF is simple. Kefka actually does something, and you can't stop that fucker.

Sure, the gameplay, music (<3), characters, and everything else make this game to be extremely enjoyable, but where will you find that the bad guy actually destroys the world, and not just sits his ass and says "Sup lol I'mma destroy your world doods" outside this game? I haven't seen anything like it,
Well, to be fair... Kuja in FF9 actually did destroy a planet. Beyond recovery even. The Dark One in Arc the Lad 2 pretty much pulled a Kefka, also, as the entire surface of their world was devestated and civilization was thrown into ruin. The wisemen in Star Ocean 2 caused the destruction on all but a small portion of their planet -- and the demons in Wild Arms 1/3 have moved from planet to planet destroying them as they come across them.

If you meant simply during the course of the game, though, FF9 and Arc the Lad 2 still stand as good examples. I still think Kefka is one of the better (and without a doubt, more insane) villains out there, though, but he isn't the only villain who ever achieved his goals.

Edit: lol, you could just use Umaro at the top of the tower or berserk your party for a fast and easy win. FF6 definitely was not hard. Heck, it wasn't even easy; it fell more into the line of "very easy" if I had to label the difficulty. But I guess everyone has their own opinions. I've played plenty of SMT games -- and I enjoyed the difficulty. It truthfully was not that bad and I would not wish all my games be easier because of the experience. That's just silly.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Forsety; Feb 6, 2007 at 02:48 AM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:31 AM #59 of 72
Beat the game without getting Locke and watch the ending (compared to the ending with actually getting him). It's hard to miss the difference.

I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:46 AM #60 of 72
Stop beating around the bush and just tell us, man. There's no way I'm not going to win the game without Locke in the party, so I'm never going to know : /

P.S. Aside from WoR, FFVI is one of my top FF games, after FFVIII.

Last edited by Freelance; Feb 6, 2007 at 06:52 AM.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:41 AM #61 of 72
I don't know why everybody gives so much smack to the second half of the game. I loved the entirety of the game. The music in this game kicked the most ass overall, it had a variety of tracks to depict musically the atmosphere and mood of each part of the game.

Main reason I like it is because of its story. For the first time, the protagonist(s) is/are female(s). Terra (or Tina) is your protagonist through the first half of the game and very quickly, you begin to understand her conflicts and her personality and you grow a liking to her. Those that you get in the beginning as well are also developed pretty well. In the second half of the game, Celes becomes the protagonist, and we can see her just an unbelievable amount of character here.

The other good point about this game is its gameplay. First of all, I always liked the 4 person parties as opposed to the three person parties. Usually, it would be the other way around, but this game has a massive 14 playable characters (which just about doubles most other Final Fantasy games), and each of them are interesting to use in their own respect. The characters are actually unique too! This was only done in a few select games (namely, Final Fantasy IV, VI, and IX), and it gives more of a reason to use other characters. In the first part of the game, your party is somewhat chosen for you most of the time. After that, you use whoever you want. There has not been another Final Fantasy game that allowed you that. Finally, there are sections of the game that I wish there were more of, and that is the multi-party situations. You go through dungeons with more than 1 party and solve dungeon puzzles and such with both parties, able to switch control to the other with the press of a button. (Phoenix Cave/Kefka's Tower) is what I'm talking about. Even better, those times when you get attacked by a massive army and you split your people up into 3 groups to fight (Moogles in the beginning/Kefka's advance on Narshe) are also a blast to play. It would make it a very basic strategy RPG at those points in the game as well.

I love Final Fantasy VI.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:22 PM #62 of 72
FFVI doesn't stack up as my most favorite RPG (that being held in place by Suikoden II), but it is most definitely up there. Whoever pointed that the battles were easy, please, that dude at the top of that long tower was horrible. If it weren't for the emulator I would've trekked up that tower ten times. And if you want hard battles, play the SMT series and you better think twice about wishing hard battles ever again because it all becomes a number crunch or persona choice or getting that one item or mutation that makes battles oh so much easier.
The thing is, the majority of battles in FFVI really are mindlessly easy. Most of the bosses can be killed extremely quickly and have little in terms of real, threatening offense anyway. In cases like the Magi Master, they are completely countered by simple solutions, such as casting Berserk on him to stop him from changing his weakness and Life 3 to counter his death Ultima.

It actually gets EASIER as the game progresses, as the bosses do not get stronger HP/offensive-wise proportionately as your characters get stronger. It becomes ridiculously easy to hit 9999 multiple times with stuff like Ultima + Quick and Genji Glove + Oferring. God-Kefka should have at LEAST 10x more HP than he does.

FFVI is a lot like Symphony of the Night in that it's a fantastic game hampered by an extreme lack of difficulty to accomodate the hardcore gamer types.

Most amazing jew boots
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 02:03 PM #63 of 72
The thing is, the majority of battles in FFVI really are mindlessly easy. Most of the bosses can be killed extremely quickly and have little in terms of real, threatening offense anyway. In cases like the Magi Master, they are completely countered by simple solutions, such as casting Berserk on him to stop him from changing his weakness and Life 3 to counter his death Ultima.

It actually gets EASIER as the game progresses, as the bosses do not get stronger HP/offensive-wise proportionately as your characters get stronger. It becomes ridiculously easy to hit 9999 multiple times with stuff like Ultima + Quick and Genji Glove + Oferring. God-Kefka should have at LEAST 10x more HP than he does.

FFVI is a lot like Symphony of the Night in that it's a fantastic game hampered by an extreme lack of difficulty to accomodate the hardcore gamer types.
Meh, no more games are like that anymore. It's been a while since I've seen a truly challenging game.

FELIPE NO

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 05:14 PM #64 of 72
I am deleting this post, 'cause it was supposed to be directed here.

Last edited by Freelance; Feb 6, 2007 at 09:08 PM.
Elegy
Sea King!

Member 7052

Level 11.50

May 2006

Old Jun 10, 2007, 09:07 PM #65 of 72
I'm pretty biased when it comes to FF6. I played it when I was young and it's one of those extremely nostalgic games that I'll always love. Kefka is still one of my favorite villains to this day and I love the rest of the cast. I've always adored the soundtrack and I listen to it quite regularly.

Anyway, I did like the first half of the game a bit more than the second simply because the landscape wasn't tarnished. The world of balance was pretty and I loved all the greenery. Still, it was nice getting all your teammates back, fighting ancient beasts, and exploring new areas in the world of ruin.

Most amazing jew boots
Rua
Mimmet Green

Member 22608

Level 7.77

Jun 2007

Old Jun 10, 2007, 09:19 PM #66 of 72
Final Fantasy VI is one of my favorite rpgs. My favorite character is Terra. But don't get me wrong this an RPG where for once, I like a majority of the cast and I'd play through again and again and even rebuy. Most of the other ones they release no days I just have no interest in or force me to play with a group of characters i do not like at all. Most the newer FF's bore me as in I fall asleep while playing the game. I remember the 1st time I played this game I stuck on where to go for awhile. I didn't figure it out til the game reappeared again. I WoB is nice too, the WoR had some kinda creepy things in it. That kinda still give me nightmares, not as much as it used too as before.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Rua; Jun 10, 2007 at 09:23 PM.
Megavolt
Seer

Member 1731

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:05 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2007, 06:05 PM #67 of 72
This got bumped, eh? I might as well respond to some old stuff then.

Well, to be fair... Kuja in FF9 actually did destroy a planet. Beyond recovery even. The Dark One in Arc the Lad 2 pretty much pulled a Kefka, also, as the entire surface of their world was devestated and civilization was thrown into ruin. The wisemen in Star Ocean 2 caused the destruction on all but a small portion of their planet -- and the demons in Wild Arms 1/3 have moved from planet to planet destroying them as they come across them.

If you meant simply during the course of the game, though, FF9 and Arc the Lad 2 still stand as good examples. I still think Kefka is one of the better (and without a doubt, more insane) villains out there, though, but he isn't the only villain who ever achieved his goals.
I don't know about Arc the Lad, but there's a big difference between what Kefka does and what Kuja or the wisemen do. Kefka ruins a world that you've spent the entire game exploring. You got to know the people and develop a connection to the WoB. Kuja would have to destroy Gaia in order to have the same effect, but that's not what happens at all. He destroys a tiny and virtually dead planet with one section that you get to explore near the end of the game. Terra had little relevance beyond the backstory it provided and I wouldn't compare the destruction of a few soulless husks to seeing children fall through the cracks in FFVI. In terms of the impact of what Kefka does on the world of FFVI as we know it, it's much larger than the impact of Kuja destroying Terra, and we continue to see the impact of his deeds afterwards whereas FFIX turns into a 'hovering threat' kind of thing (stop Kuja before he destroys the crystal) like with FFVII. Kefka had basically already won and you have to pick yourself up and challenge him again. As for the wisemen, it's a matter of hearing about what happened rather than seeing it, which you seem to realize with the course of the game thing you mentioned. We hear about how Nede wound up as Energy Nede but we don't experience it and we don't develop any connection with the people who suffered and died during the struggles with the wisemen. Expel is a different story, but that situation is literally undone.

As for FFVI being easy, I played it again not too long ago and it actually has some tough parts if you don't spend much extra time powering up your guys and don't abuse the Vanish glitch or Ultima. The Floating Continent is no picnic and Kefka's Tower is fairly tough as well, as Poltergeist nearly killed me last time. Granted, it's not a difficult game, but it's at least as tough (if not tougher) as the Sony generation Final Fantasies, save for FFXII.

~MV
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:44 AM #68 of 72
Ah, FInal Fantasy VI. I still remember counting the pennies I had to rent it just ONE more time before I'd get it for Christmas. And of course, on Christmas day, my g'parents got me Final Fantasy III...Final....Fantasy...III....LEGEND!!! They were so excited, even saying how they looked all over for it for me. I don't know how they ever missed the look of disappointment on my face because my 'rents picked up on it.

As it were, my father was really cool, and took the game back, used some of his Christmas money, and got me the game. I never appreciated such an act as I do now. Of course, a friend aske dme to borrow it and I FOOLISHLY did, and never saw it again. Until...I went to gamestop and bought a used copy. Wasn't the cleanest, but at least it worked.

Great music, decent graphics for the time, nice storyline both overall and for the characters. I still remember learning the fine art of leveling up my characters...

The gameplay was excellent...as each person had unique abilities. Locke was the best all the way, as with his ability, you could quickly gather all sorts of useful things.

I easily put at least 300 hours of time into this game. Good game, one I would easily recommend people play.

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Nov 22, 2007, 12:35 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2007, 12:35 AM #69 of 72
Final Fantasy VI changed my life. Really. It's easily my favorite role playing game ever made. The plethora of colorful characters, the storyline and the exquisitely dramatic music are still pretty much tops in my mind.

I've played the game so much that I think I could probably map every single town in great detail from memory. I also have every note of the music memorized, as well as most of the lines from the game.

It's an epic.

Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 10:40 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2007, 10:40 AM #70 of 72
Y'know, back in the day when I played FFVI a lot, I never thought of Terra as the protagonist. I always thought each character was fleshed out enough and took up enough time in the main storyline to be considered equal parts of the cast. Of course this doesn't apply to some of them, like Umaro, Gogo, and Mog, but you get what I mean.

Regardless, it's still an amazing game; definitely one of my all-time favorites.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SenorKaffee
Cry mich ein river

Member 422

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2007, 06:38 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2007, 12:38 AM #71 of 72
I played FF6 for the first time on an SNES emulator in 2005. The one thing that I really needed to adjust to was that the enemy attacks are not animated - I think Chrono Trigger had enemy animations, but maybe my view is distorted by playing more realtime-battle titles like Terranigma.

Even from a 2005 perspective it was extremely much fun. I never missed the amount of background information that I got from the texts in FF12. Playing a game, not gathering material for a History Book.

FELIPE NO
Everything´s getting better.
Nothing´s getting good.
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:02 AM #72 of 72
I played FF6 for the first time on an SNES emulator in 2005. The one thing that I really needed to adjust to was that the enemy attacks are not animated - I think Chrono Trigger had enemy animations, but maybe my view is distorted by playing more realtime-battle titles like Terranigma.

Even from a 2005 perspective it was extremely much fun. I never missed the amount of background information that I got from the texts in FF12. Playing a game, not gathering material for a History Book.
I also played this for the first time on an emulator back in 2000. It was the first thing I ever emulated, too; back on an old version of SNES9x with no transparencies and glitches everywhere. But when I moved Terra in Narshe for the first time, I was ecstatic!

This was about five years after it originally came out, but I really liked it. The game still holds up pretty well, but I think it's something that our generation in particular can enjoy since the sprite-based story-telling is something we grew up on. The biggest issue I heard from younger gamers about FFVI Advance was that the "enemies didn't move" and they felt like they were fighting "cardboard cut-outs". *We* appreciate the fact that the game used all 256 of the SNES's available colors, but *they* want motion and fluidity. They want something that looks alive, while our imaginations, all we had to rely on for years, told us they were. Never mind the fact that most of them were weaned on FFVII or Ocarina of Time, which would have pretty much shaped their standards for any other next-gen RPG or semi-RPG they played from that point on. But there is a level of fun to FFVI that I keep hearing about even today, which says a lot about it.

I think I've always like FFIV more, but FFVI is a definite classic. I still play it from time to time.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Classic] This thread contains my reactions to Final Fantasy VI